daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 6th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #1
Paul B.

Likes (Received): 8

BASEL | Roche Turm Bau 1 | 178m | 41 fl | Com

The office high-rise in brief:
Functions
  • 1900 workplaces
  • Auditorium (500 seats)
  • Cafeteria
  • Communication zones
Technical data and costs
  • 41 storeys, 178 m high
  • 76’000 m2 floor space
  • Costs: approx. 550 million Swiss francs
  • Energy efficiency: Swiss Minergie standard
  • Earthquake-resistant construction
Timeline
  • Official processes and demolition of old building: 2010/2011
  • Scheduled start on site: 2012
  • Scheduled completion: 2015

About site development at Roche
Current site development at Roche Basel continues to be based on a planning strategy that guarantees maximum flexibility and allows the company to adapt to its ever-changing needs. The strategy aims to bring together the global and corporate functions on the site area south of Grenzacherstrasse, while the infrastructure-intensive research, development and production units will be located on the area north of the road. Apart from meeting operational requirements, Roche attaches top priority, as with all its new-build schemes, to upholding the high standards of industrial architecture for which it is renowned.

Other design:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi View Post

Basel in Switzerland could soon be getting its tallest addition to its skyline to date.

Named the Roche Tower, it is the work of Swiss architects Herzog and de Meuron who are also responsible for the Beijing National Stadium better known as the Olympic bird nest in China, as well as the Tate Modern in London.

Located on a commanding position next to the River Rhine, the tower sports the usual glass facades the tower has a zoomorphic appearance of wiggly worm and will stand at 154 metres.

Far from being just another glass structure on a skyline, the architects have managed to create an original and unique design bound to get appreciative ooohhs and ahhhs.

The cylindrically shaped building uses a mix of pyramid like shaping and helixes which move in opposite direction to each other which form a sculptural look.

The resultant form which has strong, definitive, curved lines shows a new face from every direction ensuring passers-by don�t get bored of it to quickly.

The tower will provide 75,000m² of grade A office space where the headquarters of Roche Pharmacueticals will be relocated. The plan is to redevelop the current building into a new office tower to house some 2,400 employees who are currently spread out into various buildings and to improve the laboratory facilities.

The plans where originally released back in 2006 but rumours are surfacing that the tower may well gain approval in the very near future allowing the company to stick to their construction dates of starting in 2008 and being up and running by 2011, as the architects have worked closely with city planning officials it should get the go ahead.

The revamp will however carry quite a hefty price tag of 800 million Krona but will of course mean the company can have workers under one roof rather then scattered about.

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by erbse; July 23rd, 2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Typo, Status change
Paul B. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Portugese

Likes (Received): 3

is a beautiful skyscrapers
Portugese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #3
HD
°°°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 906

when I was in switzerland last week, I heard on swiss radio that the tower was approved
Old July 6th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #4
sämelihülz
Kansas of Elsass

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD View Post
when I was in switzerland last week, I heard on swiss radio that the tower was approved
did you remember wich Radio it was?

Here some more Pics:

***1893***
sämelihülz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #5
Paul B.

Please note that only picture two of my posting is showing a rendering of the tower with its final height.

I wasn't able to verify HD's post myself. I do believe you, HD, but I want to be sure that there is nothing that could endanger the project anymore. If it is true then Roche could even get back to 170 m! That would be great news. It also fits to the updated dates I've found. They are now talking about the construction time from 2009 to 2011.

Finally I got an image of the building's interior:

Last edited by Paul B.; July 6th, 2008 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Misspelled link
Old July 6th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #6
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

Absolutely stunning! Bravo!
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #7
HD
°°°°°°°°°°°°

I don't remember, which radio station it was. probably drs 1. but if you say, there was no further news about this, I might be wrong. maybe it was about another tower - they were talking about the next tallest in switzerland. I thought it was the roche building.
Old July 7th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #8
OMH

Likes (Received): 14

the architecture is certainly very futuristic, it looks very interesting and could be a new landmark for Basel when its finished. Overally the design is good but IMO the tower is a little bit too "fat", it could be more slim IMO, but still it's a great looking building, it should definetily get built!
OMH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #9
Paul B.

Quote:
I don't remember, which radio station it was. probably drs 1. but if you say, there was no further news about this, I might be wrong. maybe it was about another tower - they were talking about the next tallest in switzerland. I thought it was the roche building.
Ok, then it must have been the Prime Tower in Zurich I mentioned in my first post. Construction started some weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMH View Post
the architecture is certainly very futuristic, it looks very interesting and could be a new landmark for Basel when its finished. Overally the design is good but IMO the tower is a little bit too "fat", it could be more slim IMO, but still it's a great looking building, it should definetily get built!
I agree to what you say about the tower's thickness but after all I even prefer the fattier chopped version. It would be interesting to see the chopped rendering stretched to 170m (the maximum height allowed in this zone).

Another interesting detail is that the government restricts the maximum height and the maximum gross floor area. E.g. at the moment Roche is not allowed to build another tall building – let's say 80m – without demolishing some other buildings. It won't be a problem in the years to come anyway since they will remove the taller building (62m) right next to the Bau 1 as far as I know.

Here you'll find a German PDF about the whole Roche area including some more pictures and illustrations.

This is an image of a production facility on the other side of the street:

Here are two renderings of the Bau 97 that will be built on the other side of the area:

Old July 7th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #10
HD
°°°°°°°°°°°°

no, it was about a tower in basel ...

anyway, next time I listen more carefully to the news, I promise
Old July 8th, 2008, 01:27 AM   #11
ØlandDK
Used User

Likes (Received): 103

Amazing tower. really like the shape of it!
ØlandDK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 04:52 AM   #12
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Likes (Received): 9121

stunning, It's creative.

can u tell me any reason why the government resticts the height so strictly there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B. View Post
Another interesting detail is that the government restricts the maximum height and the maximum gross floor area. E.g. at the moment Roche is not allowed to build another tall building – let's say 80m – without demolishing some other buildings. It won't be a problem in the years to come anyway since they will remove the taller building (62m) right next to the Bau 1 as far as I know.
Mussoda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #13
Don Calo

Likes (Received): 166

Quote:
can u tell me any reason why the government resticts the height so strictly there?
The restrictions are not only there! This is a problem in whole Switzerland!
Every land area in Switzerland belongs to a certain "zone"! Where the government is allowing a certain height and a certain maximum of gross floor! The idea behind this is that the government can control the development! But it certainly makes it very complicated for investors and building companies! Especially skyscrapers are only allowed in very few areas in Switzerland! The government often has to change the "zone" if a company what's to bulid a high rise!
Don Calo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #14
skydive
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

very nice
skydive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #15
c0kelitr0
Resident Whore

Likes (Received): 21

wow!!! that's beautiful!
c0kelitr0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #16
Kevlargeist

Likes (Received): 879

Neat highrise with an awesome design. The riverfront's gonna look good.
Kevlargeist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #17
King-Krunch
:-)

Likes (Received): 50

I thought I had seen enough twisting structures, but I kinda like this one
King-Krunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #18
Ace!
15°48′S 47°54′W

Likes (Received): 3

WOW!
King-Krunch - I thought I had seen enough twisting structures [2]
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #19
sämelihülz
Kansas of Elsass

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
no, it was about a tower in basel ...

anyway, next time I listen more carefully to the news, I promise
Do you remember the day, and the daytime?

***1893***
sämelihülz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 03:21 AM   #20
rübenzahn

Likes (Received): 19

the tower was approved and will be built, but that is not new and was in the media some time ago as HD mentioned before....
the tower from an other perspective:
rübenzahn no está en línea   Reply With Quote