daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do You like stadiums
Yes 154 96.86%
No 5 3.14%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 29th, 2006, 01:09 AM   #441
Iain1974

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLeuropefan
So are you saying that it takes a brain to play basketball???
Well, basketball is a low skill sport. The height advantage of the 6 foot 9 players seems to nullify the skill factor of a 5 foot 6 men.
Iain1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #442
Jules

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain1974
Well, basketball is a low skill sport. The height advantage of the 6 foot 9 players seems to nullify the skill factor of a 5 foot 6 men.
lmao...ignorance is bliss.
Jules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 01:20 AM   #443
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

well it is true that basketball is a game that tends to nullify certain height demographics I wouldn't say that makes it unskilled. If that were the case then sumo wrestling could be accused of the same thing. Or even boxing which has different weight classes could be relegated to a "non-sport" to do the obvious implications weight classes have on the sport.

Also, it is no more reason to say that people born with height advantage are "less skilled" then people who happen to be born with inordinate amount of fast twitch muscle fiber found to be uncommon in the average person. No matter how much 99% of people try they are not born with the fast twitch fibers needed to be the best football strikers in the world or to be the best cornerbacks in U.S. football.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 01:24 AM   #444
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
But college football and Final Four are purely domestic events. The Rugby World Cup is an international tournament.

More Brits who want to argue sport to to indulge their predial glorious chauvinism of the Empire and all aspects of its inherent superiority.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 03:04 AM   #445
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
LOL @ some of the comments here.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 04:18 AM   #446
great prairie

no skill in basketball , many 7 footers are absolutely terrible Shawn Bradley instantly comes to mind. Micheal Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, etc aren't some of the best players because of their height...... but of course they are certain physical attributes that help alot in basketball just like any other sport
great prairie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #447
victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo
How much do you know about the BCS or bowl season in general(probably is close in attendance to some of the bigger events in the world if it was counted as one) or Final Four?
I know a surprising amount about NCAA sports, more than i should about a bunch of college kids running around ( )

I actually know a few guys who have gone over on scholarships for all kinds of sports.

And like somebody else said, they are domestic competitions, and not even first grade competition (compared to pro), RWC is a world sporting event.
victory no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #448
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Hate to say it, but WRC is to British Empire as WBC is to American Empire. Hard to truly call either global.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #449
victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo
Hate to say it, but WRC is to British Empire as WBC is to American Empire. Hard to truly call either global.
I didn't know France, Argentina or Japan were in the British Empire, oh please educate me oh noble one?

RWC is the 3rd largest sporting event on the globe, that is not up for dispute.

And unlike American sports, rugby has some competition at the top.
Old April 29th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #450
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee
True, but the Afrikaaner population of South African is likely bigger then the whole of New Zealand no?
It's still not a lot of people though.

As for WRC being the third largest sporting event, I'm not so sure. European Championship football probably has a bigger following, Ryder Cup golf pitches 450 million Europeans against 350 million US Americans, The Asian Football Championship is followed by billions.

Rugby is a minority sport in every country except New Zealand.

It's not a bad sport it's just not as big as everyone seems to think.
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #451
victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Newell
It's still not a lot of people though.

As for WRC being the third largest sporting event, I'm not so sure. European Championship football probably has a bigger following, Ryder Cup golf pitches 450 million Europeans against 350 million US Americans, The Asian Football Championship is followed by billions.

Rugby is a minority sport in every country except New Zealand.

It's not a bad sport it's just not as big as everyone seems to think.
1. Its RWC, get that right before trying to talk about it like an expert.

2. It is the third largest event by television viewing.

And a large portion of the billions of people in Asia who follow the asian footy championships dont have TV's, money to buy tickets, the economy to support large financial investment, etc.
Old April 29th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #452
Isaac Newell

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory
1. Its RWC, get that right before trying to talk about it like an expert.

2. It is the third largest event by television viewing.

And a large portion of the billions of people in Asia who follow the asian footy championships dont have TV's, money to buy tickets, the economy to support large financial investment, etc.
you will find TV's in the poorest of households these days, anyway show me the stats., shooow mee the money.
Old April 29th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #453
Isaac Newell

Check out those satellite dishes
Old April 29th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #454
krzamak
BANNED

Likes (Received): 19

Poljud stadium Split, Croatia

krzamak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #455
matherto

Likes (Received): 1

give me Reliant Stadium anyday of the week as far as the best stadium in the world is concerned.

I would say Old Trafford (due to the fact I'm a United fan), but at least I recognise that my home stadium doesn't rise above all else in terms of quality, aesthetics etc, something Bubomb (and aliases) would do well to recognise
matherto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #456
matherto

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Gioяgos]
For me its visually OAKA,

Interesting you don't show pictures from the inside, is that because it's just a boring bowl with an over-complicated roof on top you don't like the stadium, you just cream over the roof Giorgos
matherto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #457
A Pet Shop Boy

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by matherto
give me Reliant Stadium anyday of the week as far as the best stadium in the world is concerned.

I would say Old Trafford (due to the fact I'm a United fan), but at least I recognise that my home stadium doesn't rise above all else in terms of quality, aesthetics etc, something Bubomb (and aliases) would do well to recognise

You don't have much choice seeing as it's Old Trafford we are talking about!!

and Bubomb never claimed Ibrox was the best stadium in the world. He said it was the best club stadium in the UK. Get your facts right.
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #458
wilty

Then he would be wrong but then again that's because he is a ****.
wilty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:35 PM   #459
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by matherto
Interesting you don't show pictures from the inside, is that because it's just a boring bowl with an over-complicated roof on top you don't like the stadium, you just cream over the roof Giorgos
well essentially it is just a really beautiful roof rolled onto the bowl stadium..so its logical that he only shows the stadium..i spose overall it is a good athletics stadium, im not too sure about the actual sightlines for athletics, as a whole the roof complements the bowl, even if i think it cud have been more integrated to seem fit as one...either way it makes for a beautiful stadium as a whole..we know the bowl isnt amazing and we agreed on that but together its a good combination..as for best stadium in the world IMO its not in the top ten but is up there when it comes to athletics venues...
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:40 PM   #460
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Best stadium in the world at the moment i would say is one that has retractable seating to allow for both perfect conditions for football and for athetlics....and the stade de france IMO is really the leader in this trend with its system...hence it is being used as the champions league final venue...wembley stadium will be up there in terms of football stadia and its apparent ability to construct an athletics track using some platform system..."best" in terms of atmosphere and history will always include the bernabeu old trafford and many others....iconic stadia? allianz arena...the american stadia havent been doing too poorly lately although still very bland bowls....

i think the beijing olympic stadium if it had retractable seating and retractable roof would have been right up there...but for now it only competes in terms of its actual design and its ability to host athletic events..
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass