daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do You like stadiums
Yes 154 96.86%
No 5 3.14%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 19th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #581
Celt67

Likes (Received): 1545

Made of TIMBER ??? I'm surprised you were allowed to do that after the Bradford City disaster.

And to Banjo, didn't the "KEANE" on the irish flag give you a little clue ?
Celt67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #582
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

As for the Polish ground - I bet there are many grounds in EE countries where a guy like you, ignorant of what happens around the world, would feel his life threatened. No offence intended.

In which case I think we made a terrible mistake accepting Slavs into the European Union, when they would threaten the life of a man, fpr lacking a detailed knowledge of the history of stadiums in the Eastern Bloc. What worries me more is the way you said it with such pride, as if this uncontrollable Slavic Temperament is something to be proud of, in the civilised world and those attempting to mimic the civilised world, we do not send such aggressive posts to a forumer in a minor dispute about a stadium.
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #583
Banjo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt67 View Post
Made of TIMBER ??? I'm surprised you were allowed to do that after the Bradford City disaster.

And to Banjo, didn't the "KEANE" on the irish flag give you a little clue ?

Not really no.

Next.
Banjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #584
Crizzy

Likes (Received): 5

Roy Keane(play for celtic) is from ireland and the ireland flag is for him not for celtic!
Crizzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #585
Banjo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYCRIZZY View Post
Roy Keane(play for celtic) is from ireland and the ireland flag is for him not for celtic!
What about all the other Irish flags that have been flown there years before Keane even joined and are still being flown long after he's left?

I remember watching Celtic play Manchester United in the CL on the tv (both home and away) and I saw many Irish flags being flown and I can't remember seeing one Scottish flag, which is a bit odd seeing as they're a Scottish and British club and not an Irish one.

They really do seem an odd bunch up that way.
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #586
cinosanap
Profile of the Rising Sun

Likes (Received): 17

The Old Firm fans (alot of them anyway) are stupid and think that each club represents another country (Celtic - Ireland, Rangers - England).

The flag is not only for Keane - it has been around for decades at Parkhead.
cinosanap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #587
Mesh22

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123 View Post
Old Trafford. Last night, 74,000 people and the best mexican wave I've ever seen, From where I was it looked impressive and it went round about 30 times.
Video from the South Stand I was in tier two of the east stand to the right.
Think thats great look at (supposedly) the World's largest camera flash Mexican wave at the pre ceremony entertainment at the Closing of the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rufOD8SeeBU

it was far more spectacular in person at the MCG.
Mesh22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #588
zee
Jelly Bean!!

Athens Olymipic Stadium without a shadow of a doubt
zee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #589
Zaro
Just a freak

Likes (Received): 3074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
In which case I think we made a terrible mistake accepting Slavs into the European Union, when they would threaten the life of a man, for lacking a detailed knowledge of the history of stadiums in the Eastern Bloc. What worries me more is the way you said it with such pride, as if this uncontrollable Slavic Temperament is something to be proud of, in the civilised world and those attempting to mimic the civilised world, we do not send such aggressive posts to a forumer in a minor dispute about a stadium.
I think you're not getting my point. It's about respect, especially if one does not have background knowledge.

How can you feel offended - his words are even more offending! Are they something to be proud of? And what about his attempt to mimic somebody who have not been fortunate enough to remain on the other side of the iron curtain?

Knock it off!

Last edited by Zaro; March 19th, 2007 at 10:44 PM.
Zaro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #590
Celt67

Likes (Received): 1545

Well, considering that 18 % of our support come over from Ireland for every home game making them Irish, it's not so odd, is it ?

Sorry if the tri-colour seems to trouble you. Obviously Everton aren't the only team in blue you have feelings for (that is very apparent). And while we're at it, I've seen the same flag at Anfield and Old Trafford for English league games. Do you have a problem with them too ?
Celt67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #591
Zaro
Just a freak

Likes (Received): 3074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt67 View Post
Well, considering that 18 % of our support come over from Ireland for every home game making them Irish, it's not so odd, is it ?

Sorry if the tri-colour seems to trouble you. Obviously Everton aren't the only team in blue you have feelings for (that is very apparent). And while we're at it, I've seen the same flag at Anfield and Old Trafford for English league games. Do you have a problem with them too ?
Hey, I have a question. Some time ago I came accross a pic of a ground, I think the team was Edinburgh City FC or something. There were no stands but slopes on all four sides of the pitch. Have you heard of it, and if yes, could you post some pics?
Zaro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #592
Banjo
BANNED

Well at grounds like Anfield and Old Trafford you might see the odd Irish flag same as you might see the odd Greek flag or Welsh flag but the predominant flag would be the flag of St George or a club flag whereas at Celtic, the Irish flag is the only one you seem to see (even making murals with it).

If only 18% of the Celtic support is Irish that would make around 80% British so you'd think around 80% of the flags on show would be the Scottish or British flag. It's as though these people are ashamed of their nationality and want to be from another country.

And yet you always hear about them wanting to come and play in England and not go and move to Ireland.

Baffling.
Old March 20th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #593
michał_

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
As for the Polish ground - I bet there are many grounds in EE countries where a guy like you, ignorant of what happens around the world, would feel his life threatened. No offence intended.

In which case I think we made a terrible mistake accepting Slavs into the European Union, when they would threaten the life of a man, fpr lacking a detailed knowledge of the history of stadiums in the Eastern Bloc. What worries me more is the way you said it with such pride, as if this uncontrollable Slavic Temperament is something to be proud of, in the civilised world and those attempting to mimic the civilised world, we do not send such aggressive posts to a forumer in a minor dispute about a stadium.
I think you made a terrible mistake in interpretation... or I did, we shall see.

That's how I see Zaro's words about life threatening:

Just because someone FEELS his life is threatened doesn't mean it really is. But he feels it is because he doesn't know how things work in a different country (ignorance?). For example I got a few Scots to a Krakow "holy war" game. They left in half time cause they thought a war will go on at the stands. Meanwhile 15 000 fans were enjoying the game with some minor disorders at the stands- almost no one leaving before 90th minute.

And honestly- I prefer that wild, sometimes really chaotic atmosphere to the sitting crowds starting a chant once every 20 minutes and boasting if they manage to make it work one time every game against "some Barcelona". I remember Wisla's game against Austrian Mattersburg SV (after games against Real Madrid, Barcelona, Inter, Schalke etc.) and whole 90 minutes we had a festival of jumping singing and jumping...

If you call yourself a supporter you shouldn't be able o speak after a game and so on. All for your team. And that I think is the value that Zaro embraced and tried to remind others of...

After having read your thought I'm realy happy that no decisions were left to you, because using "Slavic Temperament" and so on is... pathetic. Tell 200 000 university students from Krakow that their city is not civilised and they will laugh at you. That is ignorance. And in this post too- no offence intended, just got a bit emotional. Because stadium is not only architecture and especially not in a thread like this...
michał_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 04:42 AM   #594
IHaveNoLegs
No Fat Chicks

Likes (Received): 33

what has this got to do with people favourite stadiums?
Old March 20th, 2007, 04:42 AM   #595
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinosanap View Post
The Old Firm fans (alot of them anyway) are stupid and think that each club represents another country (Celtic - Ireland, Rangers - England).

The flag is not only for Keane - it has been around for decades at Parkhead.
Rangers - GB, not England (you see Union Jacks, but no too many St Georges).
Benjuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #596
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tko12345 View Post
Mine has to be Dartford FC's new stadium Princes Park only holds 4000 it has a green roof, solar panels and is made from timber. It is considered to be one the world’s first sustainable football grounds.

East Stand

Dartford Football Club plays in Ryman Football League in England just in case you wanted to know.
Like it. Very original and deserves a place on the previous thread about 'best small stadiums'

I hope those panels at the rear of the seats/terrace are strong - I can imagine a few clearances/missed shots, thumping them pretty hard at that close range from the pitch.
Benjuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #597
michał_

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoLegs View Post
what has this got to do with people favourite stadiums?
I thought i's not only tons of concrete and steel that makes a favorite stadium. It's how it lives on matchdays as well, isn't it?
And that's what makes for example Sukru Saracoglu superior to Allianz Arena in my view of "favoritness"
michał_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #598
cinosanap
Profile of the Rising Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
Rangers - GB, not England (you see Union Jacks, but no too many St Georges).
Believe it or not. There are plenty of Rangers suuporters who are more proud to think they are ENGLISH rather than Scottish. That is why they support the Union.
cinosanap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #599
Martuh
×××

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
No I'm not having a go at you and I appreciate the thread is about favourite stadiums and not the best, I'm just surprised that a ground like that is home to a team that has won the title 10 times.

I know a poor country like Poland is never going to have great stadiums like we get in Britain but I am still slightly surprised at the state of that one you posted.
You sound like an American in a Europe v USA thread. CABJ's ground isn't all too modern either. But it is all about atmosphere. Who cares that there are 70,000 seats. Who cares that you can order a drink and a burger from your chair. Who cares the stadium should be extremely modern. We care about football, not about money.
Martuh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #600
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

Camp Nou

Qwest Field

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass