daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do You like stadiums
Yes 154 96.86%
No 5 3.14%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:18 AM   #701
NeilF
Reasons To Be Cheerful

Likes (Received): 3

G.C. It's been many, many years since I've been to Windsor Park (I think the last time must have been an Irish Cup Final in about 1997). Are the terraces in the stadium still in use? I know they are often counted in capacities and whatnot, but I've always been under the impression that they were deemed unsafe, because they actually lie below pitch level. I doubt they are much worse than any of the other stadia in Northern Ireland, so I'm wondering if they just haven't been used because the capacity hasn't been needed.

Tom, make no mistake in assuming my own political allegiances, my nationality or my views on Northern Ireland. As I said, this is a forum for sport stadium design, not political comment, or any other sort of opinion or agenda, and I don't want to get dragged into a debate about anything like that on this forum. If you would like to continue the discussion, feel free to send me a private message and we'll take it from there. This is not the place for that.

Just so you know: The Irish tricolour existed from the mid-1800s but the flag from that time had the colours the opposite way around to the current flag (with the orange on the hoist side). Further to that, your reference to 1916 is slightly flawed. The Irish tricolour was not the flag of the rising (the flag of the rising was pretty much the same as the provincial flag for Leinster, if I remeber correctly, and with "Irish Republic" written on it) at this time, despite what was flown on the roof of the GPO. Whether the flag flown on the GPO was green on the hoist side or orange, I don't know, but the first time it was ever officially used and the first time it was ever really associated with Ireland as a whole was 1919. However, apart from that, we can discuss the meanings of flags and symbols at another time and in another place. Let's keep this about stadia from here on in.
NeilF no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:43 AM   #702
G.C.

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF View Post
G.C. It's been many, many years since I've been to Windsor Park (I think the last time must have been an Irish Cup Final in about 1997). Are the terraces in the stadium still in use? I know they are often counted in capacities and whatnot, but I've always been under the impression that they were deemed unsafe, because they actually lie below pitch level. I doubt they are much worse than any of the other stadia in Northern Ireland, so I'm wondering if they just haven't been used because the capacity hasn't been needed.
They're only used when the rest of the ground sells out, the Rangers friendly two years ago, or last seasons ICF with Glentoran.

The terrace doesnt actualy have that bad of a view, I'll be heading over in the next few days to get some of the new training gear and I'll take a few pics.
G.C. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:40 AM   #703
NeilF
Reasons To Be Cheerful

Likes (Received): 3

Being a Glenman myself, the only time I've ever made it onto the terraces at Windsor was for the last international game played before the old Kop made way for the Alex Russell, so I've never experienced the views from the promenades at the South and Railway ends, nor ever really seen a Windsor Park that looked full.

As more of a rugby fan, than football these days, and when all Ulster Rugby fans felt bouyant about European Cup hopes before the season slowly turned into disaster, there was a bit of debate about whether or not Windsor Park would be a suitable venue for a semi-final (as the capacity for ERC semi-finals needs to be 20,000+ apparently), so I'd wondered since that debate if the terraces at Windsor were deemed safe and usable. Thanks for the info.
NeilF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #704
Tom Hughes

Likes (Received): 989

Response to JimB

"I've been to Goodison on numerous occasions and have always been underwhelmed by the atmosphere and the scarcity of singing."

Atmosphere isn't just singing, we are renowned for not apeing the moronic chanting of our neighbours, doesn't mean there's no noise. When I started going in the late 60's, the goodison roar was well known.

"In that respect, Goodison isn't, to be fair, any worse than quite a number of other Premiership grounds these days. But there are still quite a few which generate a far better atmosphere than Goodison."

Simon Inglis wrote that GP is a special occasion stadium. It has a high crowd participation threshold in that the majority of the crowd are really distanced from the roofs and it really requires a much larger proportion to get chants/singing going to any great effect, however when the occasion arises, and this can be as simple as a bad tackle, the place reverberates because of the relative closeness of the fans in its double-decker format. It can go from morgue to bear pit in seconds. Bobby Charlton once said that he hated coming to Goodison more than Anfield because of the fans standing packed up to the pitch on all four sides and the noise they made. Have heard numerous other players refer to the intensity on these occasions.

"And Goodison's atmosphere is utterly negligible by comparison to Ibrox and Parkhead."

I have been to both these grounds when it has been like a morgue, especially in the old days before they got such massive turnouts. Been in both grounds with less than 20k in them for first team games..... it was dead. Also been there when full, and it hasn't been too great too. Granted, large support and great acoustics can make these places come to the boil, and I have witnessed that. Andy Gray, who played for Rangers and supported them as a kid and played in many massive stadia for Scotland said in his book the greatest atmosphere he ever witnessed was at Goodison for the Bayern Munich game 1985.

"Add to this the fact that Goodison has probably the worst views and the second worst facilities (after Fratton Park) in the Premiership and I can't see anyone other than Everton fans mourning the inevitable disappearance of Goodison in its present state."

Granted, the visiting fans in the Bullens Road lower stand don't get the best views etc, but much of the rest of the ground's elevated views in particular(excluding the obstructed ones) are comparable if not better than those in many of the latest stands to be built, certainly in terms of viewing distances. The poor views are very poor, and the concourses are lacking in places, but again I 've even seen that in modern efforts.

"As to favourite stadiums - and leaving out my home stadium, White Hart Lane - "

Actually, WHL is one of my faves in this country, it's two end stands redeem it to make it a more modern version of what GP was, with better proportions being more conducive of a good atmosphere. Shame the side stands don't make more of the space, as a much bigger capacity could have been attained. GP is tired, but the "grand old lady" makes up for a lot of its misgivings with its history and character. It still offers a greater variety of views than most grounds and on average brings people closer to the action. In my opinion it is not beyond redemption..... we'll see what the future holds there.
Tom Hughes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #705
AndyKane

Likes (Received): 0

My all-time favourite is Celtic Park. Aesthetically, it isn't that great. But when you're in there with 59000 other Celtic fans, the atmosphere is overwhelming.

BTW, is it true that if Glasgow wins the 2014 Commonwealth Games that the city will partly pay for a redevelopment of Paradise that would take the capacity to 70000+? Wikipedia claims that they will.
AndyKane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #706
G.C.

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF View Post
Being a Glenman myself, the only time I've ever made it onto the terraces at Windsor was for the last international game played before the old Kop made way for the Alex Russell, so I've never experienced the views from the promenades at the South and Railway ends, nor ever really seen a Windsor Park that looked full.

As more of a rugby fan, than football these days, and when all Ulster Rugby fans felt bouyant about European Cup hopes before the season slowly turned into disaster, there was a bit of debate about whether or not Windsor Park would be a suitable venue for a semi-final (as the capacity for ERC semi-finals needs to be 20,000+ apparently), so I'd wondered since that debate if the terraces at Windsor were deemed safe and usable. Thanks for the info.
Fitting a rugger pitch on to God's Turf would be a bit of a tight squeeze and an atroscity in itself

This aint stitched right, but it gives you a general idea of the view from the the South Stand Terrace.

G.C. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #707
Stockholm_Rovers
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKane View Post
My all-time favourite is Celtic Park. Aesthetically, it isn't that great. But when you're in there with 59000 other Celtic fans, the atmosphere is overwhelming.

BTW, is it true that if Glasgow wins the 2014 Commonwealth Games that the city will partly pay for a redevelopment of Paradise that would take the capacity to 70000+? Wikipedia claims that they will.
It would be illegal for Glasgow City Council to pay anything towards the redevelopment of a private companies stadium. Simply is not going to happen. There are rumours of an increase in Hampdens capacity to 70000 if Scotland bid for the European Championships, but it's just rumours probably 100% made up by some fan.
Stockholm_Rovers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 02:36 AM   #708
patroeski

Likes (Received): 8

My vote goes to Celtic Park

patroeski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #709
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt67 View Post
But the best stadium in the world, the iconic world cup final stadium is the Azteca Stadium, Mexico City.
[IMG]http://i18.************/34o7vo9.jpg[/IMG]
I find it very interesting that you're showing Estadio Azteca while it is set up for an NFL game.

HOWEVER, the Holy Grail of NFL grounds is in Green Bay, WI:

http://www.lambeaufield.com

Check the animated slide show showing its changes from its opening in 1957 up to the present at the top of the home page. It is an amazing place to watch gridiron football!

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #710
somataki

No doubt....the most spectacular
(Athens Olympic Stadium):

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

(Found on Flickr.com)
somataki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #711
gappa
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 123

For me it's the Foster Showgrounds oval. One grandstand seating around 250 but lots of room to park your car and watch from behind the wheel!

For major stadia I'd have to say the MCG. First used as a sports ground in 1853 and holding the first ever Aussie rules game and the first ever cricket test match it has buckets of history even after numerous redevelopments.

Other events it's hosted or been the major stadium for have been: 1956 Olympics, 2006 Commonwealth Games, Boxing day test match (annual), AFL grand final (annual)

Also has held rugby tests and numerous other cricket and AFL/VFL matches.

Current capacity is 98 000 seated. Oh and as an interesting aside, it has the worlds tallest light stands!

MCG 1860's ^

MCG 2006 ^

MCG 2006 ^
gappa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #712
JimB

Likes (Received): 4786

Quote:
Originally Posted by somataki View Post
No doubt....the most spectacular
(Athens Olympic Stadium)
Beautiful, breathtaking roof.

Otherwise, in most respects (including capacity), a pretty average stadium that also suffers, if your main interest is football, as a result of its permanent athletics configuration.
JimB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #713
matherto

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Beautiful, breathtaking roof.

Otherwise, in most respects (including capacity), a pretty average stadium that also suffers, if your main interest is football, as a result of its permanent athletics configuration.
plus having small gates in place of many turnstiles, shit police who don't check tickets, etc
matherto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #714
somataki

What u mean small gates? The gates of the stadium or of the olympic sport complex?
And some more of my favorite:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

(from flickr.com)

Last edited by somataki; May 25th, 2007 at 08:11 PM.
somataki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #715
Stockholm_Rovers
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by matherto View Post
plus having small gates in place of many turnstiles, shit police who don't check tickets, etc
shit fans who make, sell and buy forged tickets. Scousers...always the victims...never to blame! the root of the problem was not the police, it was scousers and their illegal making, selling and buying of forged tickets. If they scousers had not bought these tickets then there would of been no need for the police to check every ticket.

and don't give me any rubbish that the Liverpool fans did not know the tickets were fake, i've been to pubs in Liverpool, we all know how it works down there.
Stockholm_Rovers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #716
AndyKane

I was actually mistaken about Celtic Park.

It wasn't actually the Council. A small but significant amount would be paid for by the Executive, with the rest coming from private investment.
AndyKane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #717
El Vampiro Ucraniano
Proud Ukrainian

Likes (Received): 595

My favourite stadium is NSC Olympiyskyi in Kyiv, the atmosphere there is unbelievable. It’s capacity is around 85 000 and it is one of the biggest stadiums in Europe.

Olympiyskyi is scheduled to be part of Euro 2012 and is going to host the final, it’s due to be refurbished and renovated.

Old May 26th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #718
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 480

New pics from Wednesday night at Athens Olympic Stadium...host of 2007 UEFA champions League final look amazing somataki.
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #719
Tom Hughes

Likes (Received): 989

OK, I'll bite ........ again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholm_Rovers View Post
shit fans who make, sell and buy forged tickets. Scousers...always the victims...never to blame! the root of the problem was not the police, it was scousers and their illegal making, selling and buying of forged tickets. If they scousers had not bought these tickets then there would of been no need for the police to check every ticket.

and don't give me any rubbish that the Liverpool fans did not know the tickets were fake, i've been to pubs in Liverpool, we all know how it works down there.

Funny how you only like stereotypes that are applied to others. I'm an Evertonian, so far be it from me to defend the other lot...... but you did say scousers, so that might be misconstrued to mean us as well, since we are far more likely to be scousers than them...... FYI the local press has already began exposing the various scams that generated forgeries etc, so no-one is denying blame, however you have to question the authorities of both Eufa and LFC regarding the choice of stadium, and the ticket allocation. A stadium without turnstiles for a major final, when LFC had decided that only 11,000 tickets of the 17,000 allocated would go to regular fans? This is a club with a 60,000 waiting list for season tickets, and a fanbase of Millions.... the allocation was pitifull to start with. Then LFC's CEO embarrassed by his ticketing policy practically gives the ticketless license to travel by sayng that they will get in hook or by crook..... The whole thing was a set up for yobdom! As it happened, no-one needed tickets..... many just walked in. Most fans returned with their complete tickets, and many didn't even get in with their genuine tickets...... That could never happen in the UK, so how could it be allowed to happen at a CL final. Before you mouth off, they have been to more finals than anyone and normally come away with commendations from the authorities for their behaviour, as we did 20 years ago when we took more than they had in Athens to Rotterdam. As far a drinking in Liverpool Pubs is concerned, I've done similar in a certain part of Belfast and much worse than forged tickets was getting passed around, we all definitely know how it works over there...... I know where I'd rather be!!
Tom Hughes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #720
Nozumi 300

Likes (Received): 6

i dunno if anyone has said this yet but the Beijing Olympic stadium is my favourite
Nozumi 300 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass