daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do You like stadiums
Yes 154 96.86%
No 5 3.14%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 10th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #801
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red85 View Post
this is exacly why football is the worlds most popular sport. 'cause you only need one round ball. and basicly you can play it anywhere indead. it doesnt if its in the slops of Rio or Cape Town, or in the backyard of your big villa. doesnt mind. its the only one worlds common language. only yankees don't speak it like the whole other world.
Nor do the Japanese (baseball), many Caribbean nations (baseball as well), Indians/Pakistanis (cricket), Australians (Aussie rules/rugby), Canadians (ice hockey, football), Russians (ice hockey), etc.

Yes, soccer is WILDLY popular around the world, and the most popular sport in more countries than not. However, to say that the US is the only country where soccer is not the most popular sport is profoundly ignorant.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #802
andre_carneiro
Citizen of the world...

Likes (Received): 0

No doubt this is the best of all:

Estadio Municipal de Braga, Portugal...

Didn't know if you already knew it... Its the best no doubt!
andre_carneiro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #803
lunardelli-brazil
BANNED

hi guys!! Look at this!!

MARACANÃ STADIUM / RIO DE JANEIRO-RJ BRAZIL

MARACANA - RIO DE JANEIRO/BRAZIL

MARACANÃ/BRAZIL

image hosted on flickr

MARACANÃ / RIO

MINEIRÃO / BELO HORIZONTE - BRAZIL

MINEIRAO / BELO HORIZONTE - BRAZIL

MINEIRÃO / BH - BRAZIL
lunardelli-brazil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #804
Red85
AARRGGHH

Likes (Received): 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
Nor do the Japanese (baseball), many Caribbean nations (baseball as well), Indians/Pakistanis (cricket), Australians (Aussie rules/rugby), Canadians (ice hockey, football), Russians (ice hockey), etc.

Yes, football is WILDLY popular around the world, and the most popular sport in more countries than not. However, to say that the US is the only country where soccer is not the most popular sport is profoundly ignorant.
on the Russians. Guus Hiddink is the national coach over there. so I guess that football is going to be undoubtly the national sport number 1. if it isnt already by now .
the russian premier division is also very very populair by the russians. games also tracking attandences of more than the ice hockey games. 50.000 or moe is not odd anymore.
notice that for the other countrys except canada the national games track also more than 50.000 people. I dont realy know how it is going with the Aussies now but after Guus Hiddink's qualification for germany '06 football is in the lift as well over there.

I also want to say that I did'nt meant that football is the most populair sport in every country except the us. I said that all people 'speak the language of football' except for the americans. it is a language we all speak, except for you guys.
simple example: the whole world kicks a ball back when you roll it towards, in stead of kick it back you would put it up and trow it .

by the way :P

the Maracana realy became a beauty after its renovation. modern and classic at the same time.
Red85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #805
djrules5454

Likes (Received): 64

Those Brazillians really like their bowls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red85 View Post
I also want to say that I did'nt meant that football is the most populair sport in every country except the us. I said that all people 'speak the language of football' except for the americans. it is a language we all speak, except for you guys.
simple example: the whole world kicks a ball back when you roll it towards, in stead of kick it back you would put it up and trow it .
What you're making it sound like you are saying here is that every single person who isn't an American knows the language of football, while also saying that every single American does not know the language of football.

What I'm trying to say here is you are generalizing/stereotyping way too much.
djrules5454 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #806
matherto

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre_carneiro View Post

Ignoring the fact that the two stands that comprise the stadium are completely bland and boring, and what atmosphere that is generated by all 5 fans that go to Braga fans flies out of the empty spaces anyway....
matherto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #807
andre_carneiro
Citizen of the world...

Quote:
Originally Posted by matherto View Post
Ignoring the fact that the two stands that comprise the stadium are completely bland and boring, and what atmosphere that is generated by all 5 fans that go to Braga fans flies out of the empty spaces anyway....
How can you talk about the atmosphere at the stadium? have you ever been there?
It i my opinion that this is definetly the most beautifull and atipical stadium I know.
Old June 11th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #808
MRichR

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:

Looks sort of like a smaller version of Husky Stadium at the University of Washington (first opened in 1920 seating 30,000...today seats over 70,000 and plans for futher expansion):

Old June 11th, 2007, 12:17 PM   #809
MRichR

Bristol Motor Speedway (seats 170,000 and growing):

Basically auto racing inside a huge football stadium.
Old June 11th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #810
andre_carneiro
Citizen of the world...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichR View Post
Looks sort of like a smaller version of Husky Stadium at the University of Washington (first opened in 1920 seating 30,000...today seats over 70,000 and plans for futher expansion):

It does look like a smaller version

Braga's stadium only holds 30000... and it is more than enough for this city
Old June 11th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #811
andre_carneiro
Citizen of the world...

Quote:

Is this Bristol UK???
Old June 11th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #812
MRichR

Quote:
Is this Bristol UK???
United States. Bristol, Tennessee.
Old June 11th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #813
andre_carneiro
Citizen of the world...

Quote:
United States. Bristol, Tennessee.
Thought so... it is not very common to see Nascar races Stadium in Europe...

Sorry my ignorance

Nice and huge stadium though
Old June 11th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #814
G.C.

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Thought so... it is not very common to see Nascar races Stadium in Europe...

Sorry my ignorance

Nice and huge stadium though

Even less common for a 170k seater in Bristol
G.C. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #815
patroeski

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
That's huge!!!
patroeski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #816
speed_demon

Likes (Received): 456

Quote:

Amazing, this proves that Nascar is the most watched motorsport in USA.....Formula 1 is almost unknown over there. For me F1 is in the first place, but I also love Nascar races, it´s exciting.
speed_demon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #817
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
My favorite stadiums are:

Jornalista Mário Filho (Maracanã), Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Mangueirao, Pará - Brazil
yep, the stadiums in brazil are definitely among the best ones. you have good taste i must say!!!
MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #818
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

oriole park @ camden yards........THE BEST stadium in the world.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #819
snyder9

Stumbled upon this website looking for those elusive pics of New Anfield.
...and then I come across the discussion regarding American sports and football - discussions I have a lot of times with my Canadian friends.

I moved to Canada a couple of years ago and there really couldn't be a greater contrast in the way I follow Liverpool and how the avg. Canadian follows his/her team.

Now, I just put it down to a different way of life. I don't think of it as good or bad. I enjoy watching the NBA and while not really into hockey, I had a good time watching the Leafs play at the ACC. Great atmosphere watching both the Raptors and Leafs - but totally different from what you would expect at Anfield, Old Trafford, Camp Nou, San Siro, etc.

While the cheerleaders, mascots, and the over enthusiastic PA announcer make me cringe - it's just a different way of doing things. Mind you - these things are happening in football as well and they just look ridiculously out of place. I remember seeing cheerleaders at Fulham and even the Mancs have a bloody mascot these days.

But the biggest difference I've found is the general attitude of indifference that people have towards the teams here. I can't speak for Americans, but for the Canadians I come across it seems to be true.

Now, I've met a few Leafs fan who have an encyclopedic knowledge of their team but the problem is that such fans are few and far between. I was surprised to find out the number of so called Leaf fans rooting for the Senators during their playoff run saying that 'it'll be good for Canada'. Liverpudlians wouldn't want Mancs to win the qualifying rounds of a regional Tiddlywinks tournament, let alone the biggest prize in the sport. I think the fact that club rivalries transcend nationalism speak volumes of the passion of some football supporters.
Besides that, it wasn't uncommon for a Raptors 'fan' to ask me the score of last night's game. Did my head in!!

It's just a different attitude on either side of the pond. This because pretty obvious when you go watch Toronto FC at BMO Field. A majority of the crowd comprise of Toronto's multicultural European blend of Portuguese, Italian, Polish, etc. and as a result the atmosphere is very fiery at times. And thanks to the initiative taken by the U-Sector and Red Patch Boys - we now have a plethora of songs that go beyond the mind numbing "Defense Defense" or "Let's go team xyz!"

Anyway...
I'm looking forward to the New Anfield being my favorite stadium - but then, I'm biased.
Those who've seen the plans say it's absolutely marvelous. Can't wait!!
snyder9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #820
Benn

Likes (Received): 167

American College football and Basketball fans are usually pretty hardcore and they have some sick rivalries. The NBA has gotten WAY to corporate, and alot of people go just to be seen. San Antonio had open seats for the conference finals! I had never heard of that. For our lone conference finals here in Minnesota the tickets were selling out in a few hours of going on sale. I was at game two which was beautiful, fantastic atmophere like you should expect deep in the playoffs. However during the regular season the fans don't sell out the target center and alot of people show up half through the first quarter and leave half way through fourth, which I still can't believe people do (and its not just Minnesota, thats very typical league wide), but thats what the NBA has come to. Baseball isn't meant to be a wild exciting time, but ballgames can be a great place to sit in the sun and drink an overpriced beer. The NFL has some great fans with a few great rivalries (Vikings/Packers, Eagles/Cowboys, among others) and some average fans, just kind of depends on who and where. But most of us definately keep our really hardcore passions for college teams.
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass