daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do You like stadiums
Yes 154 96.86%
No 5 3.14%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 14th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #1001
AndreÇB
AndreÇB

Likes (Received): 3

Brazil coolest stadium is...

"Estádio Jornalista Edgar Pronça" aka "Mangueirão" in Belém.

aprox 45,000 seater

Mangueirão is indicated to host WC 2014 games...

AndreÇB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #1002
Reaper-strain
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasbrink View Post
everything copies everything, its certain twist and additions and adaptations that make them different.
What does the new Valencia stadium copy?
Reaper-strain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #1003
ygiannis82

Likes (Received): 0

Da Luz

Dragao

Amsterdam Arena

Allianz Arena

Jose Alvalade

AOL Arena

Schalke Arena

Generally,i think in this moment Portugal and German stadiums are the best because of EURO2004 and WC2006.
ygiannis82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #1004
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2208

The best:

wembley
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:45 AM   #1005
Yankeebiscuitfan
Spring (Training) is here

I curse the day that they decided to build this monstrocity. I have seen one game overthere, but the athmosphere sucked. The old stadium of Ajax, De Meer, was small but cosy. Even when it was only filled for the half of its capacity.

These are my favorite stadiums:

image hosted on flickr

Riverwalk Stadium in Montgomery. Home of the Montgomery Biscuits.

Needs no introduction.

Fenway Park. Home of the Boston Red Sox.

Wrigley Field. Home of the Chicago Cubs.

I know that Americans and baseball lovers will recognize Fenway and Wrigley without the introduction. But there are some non Americans who may not know.
Yankeebiscuitfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:57 AM   #1006
Chimaera

Likes (Received): 172

I've been to NY and Boston 3.5 years ago. Didn't make it to Yankee Stadium (did walk past Shea Stadium on a day trip to the US Open) but in Boston I took a walk around Fenway Park, and managed to have a look inside here and there, and I have to agree with you. Great ballpark, pure nostalgy. And they won the title at the end of that season for the first time since 1918
Chimaera no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:02 AM   #1007
Yankeebiscuitfan

image hosted on flickr

Was this during the Expos' last home game in 2004? Or was it in better times before the 1994 strike?
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:08 AM   #1008
Yankeebiscuitfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I've been to NY and Boston 3.5 years ago. Didn't make it to Yankee Stadium (did walk past Shea Stadium on a day trip to the US Open) but in Boston I took a walk around Fenway Park, and managed to have a look inside here and there, and I have to agree with you. Great ballpark, pure nostalgy. And they won the title at the end of that season for the first time since 1918
So you was their lucky charm?
Thanks to you this 1918 chant doesn't make sense anymore.
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:14 AM   #1009
Yankeebiscuitfan

This is also a very nice ball park.

I can't find any good photographs, so check out the link.
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:20 AM   #1010
Anberlin

Likes (Received): 31

Telstra Dome

Anberlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:32 AM   #1011
Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeebiscuitfan View Post
So you was their lucky charm?
Thanks to you this 1918 chant doesn't make sense anymore.
That is your conclusion

Anyway, I don't hear them complaining
Old February 16th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #1012
Axelferis

Quote:
image hosted on flickr

Was this during the Expos' last home game in 2004? Or was it in better times before the 1994 strike?
The same wh made Parc des princes in Paris!

What is the capacity?
Is it a glass roof?? Explain please??
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #1013
Witkowski

Some of my favorites are the MCG, The San Francisco baseball park right on the water, but my favorite stadium in the world is the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff
Witkowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #1014
Axelferis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygiannis82 View Post
Generally,i think in this moment Portugal and German stadiums are the best because of EURO2004 and WC2006.

don't forget Aisa 2002! Perhaps the most beautiful stadiums ever seen for a world cup
Old February 16th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #1015
Yankeebiscuitfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelferis View Post
The same wh made Parc des princes in Paris!

What is the capacity?
Is it a glass roof?? Explain please??
I don't know what it is made of. I only know it is not glas. First this was the Olympic Stadium for the 1976 Olympics in Montreal. Then the city board of Montreal decided that the Expos had to play there. But because of the harsh weather at the beginning of the season in Montreal, they decided to put a retractable roof on it. The only problem was that it was not retractable. They replaced that one with this roof.

To imagine how harsh the weather can be at the beginning of the season, the Expos never had any opening day in their old stadium, Jarry Parc.
Old February 16th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #1016
Chimaera

Quote:
I don't know what it is made of. I only know it is not glas. First this was the Olympic Stadium for the 1976 Olympics in Montreal. Then the city board of Montreal decided that the Expos had to play there. But because of the harsh weather at the beginning of the season in Montreal, they decided to put a retractable roof on it. The only problem was that it was not retractable. They replaced that one with this roof.

To imagine how harsh the weather can be at the beginning of the season, the Expos never had any opening day in their old stadium, Jarry Parc.
I think the story is slightly different. The retractable roof was part of the initial design. They only installed it after the games, but it didn't work properly. So they left it in place. But during a harsh winter part of it collapsed during a game due to the weight of the snow on top. After that they put another, fixed roof in place. Maybe I'm missing some details, but I believe it went more or less like this.

I visited the stadium and Montréal back in 2004, after leaving Boston
Old February 16th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #1017
Yankeebiscuitfan

Quote:
I think the story is slightly different. The retractable roof was part of the initial design. They only installed it after the games, but it didn't work properly. So they left it in place. But during a harsh winter part of it collapsed during a game due to the weight of the snow on top. After that they put another, fixed roof in place. Maybe I'm missing some details, but I believe it went more or less like this.

I visited the stadium and Montréal back in 2004, after leaving Boston
I think you are right about the roof.

Man! You have some bad influence on teams. The Red Sox won it all after you visited them. The Expos played their last game in 2004 after you visited them.

Are you a stadium nut or do you love baseball? I only have read names of baseball stadiums in your posts.
Old February 16th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #1018
Chimaera

Quote:
I think you are right about the roof.

Man! You have some bad influence on teams. The Red Sox won it all after you visited them. The Expos played their last game in 2004 after you visited them.

Are you a stadium nut or do you love baseball? I only have read names of baseball stadiums in your posts.
In response to your last question? A stadium nut, not a particular baseball lover. I was just reacting to your posts about favorite stadiums. I visited Fenway Park in Boston because it's clearly the most legendary stadium in that city. Same story for Stade Olympique in Montréal: I didn't know it was a baseball stadium until I visited it. Besides those two I attended a tennis match at Arthur Ashe Stadium during the US Open (Henin-Petrova). A match Henin lost, so I clearly wasn't the lucky charm of my compatriot there

I have already posted my favourite stadiums in the "top-5 most beautiful stadiums" topic, although that's a classification based on esthetics, not on atmosphere, history... And in that list there are only baseball parks in the secondary ranking I posted there: "top-5 most beautiful past stadiums".

I didn't know that fact about the Expo's last game in 2004. But there were some baseball players training in the stadium when I visited it, so I guess it happened after my visit. So you might be right about my influence

Last edited by Chimaera; February 16th, 2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old February 17th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #1019
Yankeebiscuitfan

Quote:
In response to your last question? A stadium nut, not a particular baseball lover. I was just reacting to your posts about favorite stadiums. I visited Fenway Park in Boston because it's clearly the most legendary stadium in that city. Same story for Stade Olympique in Montréal: I didn't know it was a baseball stadium until I visited it. Besides those two I attended a tennis match at Arthur Ashe Stadium during the US Open (Henin-Petrova). A match Henin lost, so I clearly wasn't the lucky charm of my compatriot there

I have already posted my favourite stadiums in the "top-5 most beautiful stadiums" topic, although that's a classification based on esthetics, not on atmosphere, history... And in that list there are only baseball parks in the secondary ranking I posted there: "top-5 most beautiful past stadiums".

I didn't know that fact about the Expo's last game in 2004. But there were some baseball players training in the stadium when I visited it, so I guess it happened after my visit. So you might be right about my influence
Fenway is clearly the most legendary stadium in the USA next to Wrigley Field and Yankee Stadium. But those Bostonians are wise enough to cherish it and not demolish it like the Yankees will do after this season.

The Expos have moved to Washington DC to become the Washington Nationals.

There are quite some new stadiums that will finish completion in the near future. New Yankee Stadium and Citi Field (Mets) in New York. A new stadium in DC for the Nationals. A new stadium in Minneapolis for the Minnesota Twins. So you will be a busy guy to visit all these new stadiums.

Oh, I almost forgot one. The city of Miami and the Florida Marlins have reached a deal. The city of Miami will build a new baseball only facility at the location of the Rose Bowl. It must be ready in 2011.
Old February 17th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #1020
Scba

Likes (Received): 1420

That pic isn't from the Expos' last game, I remember that only having 25k or so in the house.
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass