daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do You like stadiums
Yes 154 96.86%
No 5 3.14%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 1st, 2008, 06:34 PM   #1101
DaveyCakes

Likes (Received): 45

Purely sticking to stadia I've been to, I'll go with...

1. Bernabeu
2. Arena auf Schalke
3. Lords
4. Berlin Olympiastadion
5. Stade de France
6. Croke Park, Dublin
7. Tsentralnyi, Volgograd
8. Alvalade, Lisbon
9. Chaban-Delmas, Bordeaux
10. St. JAmes Park, Newcastle (before they stuck those hideous extension on the top)

A few I hated...

Anfield, Liverpool
Hampden, Glasgow
Aneota, San Sebastian.

Last edited by DaveyCakes; July 2nd, 2008 at 03:03 PM.
DaveyCakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:48 AM   #1102
HoldenV8

Likes (Received): 25

Sorry to tell you Carrerra but your last 2 pictures of Telstra Dome are actually of the ANZ Stadium (formerly Telstra Stadium) in Sydney. Telstra Dome is in Melbourne. ANZ Stadium of course, was Stadium Australia, the main stadium during the 2000 Summer Olympics.

There is also a big capacity difference. ANZ holds 83,500 (all seated) while TD actually holds 56,347 (53,355 seats). TD has a retractable roof, ANZ doesn't but both have movable lower tier stands to move from an oval playing surface to a rectangle and vice versa. ANZ loses 1000 seats when in oval mode while TD loses about 3000 when in rectangle mode.
HoldenV8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #1103
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6214

my fave and little known beauty:

Shanghai Tennis Stadium, the roof slides open like a flower:

the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #1104
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn View Post
7. Harvard Stadium, the original American Football stadium, help cement the foward pass, with "rugby style" play as the way Amercan football is played. First reinforced concrete structure
It's a good choice for a stadium pick, but the forward pass and "American" football came from Canada. Harvard University simply introduced football to the United States after visiting McGill University in Montreal. Harvard Stadium is where the game was first played in that country, but if you're looking for a stadiums that gave birth to football, you need to look north in Canada.

"American" football is ingrained in US culture, but it is Canadian in origin.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #1105
Iain1974

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It's a good choice for a stadium pick, but the forward pass and "American" football came from Canada. Harvard University simply introduced football to the United States after visiting McGill University in Montreal. Harvard Stadium is where the game was first played in that country, but if you're looking for a stadiums that gave birth to football, you need to look north in Canada.

"American" football is ingrained in US culture, but it is Canadian in origin.
Thats nothing to be proud of

When did the 3/4 downs change?
Iain1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:19 AM   #1106
isaidso
the new republic

Whether one likes football or not, it is an important part of Canada's cultural heritage and its Canadian origin, is a historical fact. It has become a massive cultural phenomenon on this continent, and that alone, makes it relevant.

After football spread to the United States, there were various alterations and changes made to the game on both sides of the border. Some new practices were adopted in both countries, but not all. This is why the US version, differs from the Canadian. I do not have a date regarding when 3 down football became the norm in the USA.

The first documented football match was a game played at University College, University of Toronto on November 9, 1861. A football club was formed at the university soon afterwards, although its rules of play at this stage are unclear. In 1864, at Trinity College, Toronto, F. Barlow Cumberland and Frederick A. Bethune devised rules based on rugby football. However, modern Canadian football is widely regarded as having originated with a game of rugby played in Montreal, in 1865, when British Army officers played local civilians. The game gradually gained a following, and the Montreal Football Club was formed in 1868, the first recorded non-university football club in Canada.

This 'rugby-football' soon became popular at McGill University. McGill challenged Harvard University to a game, in 1874. It is through this varsity play, that the game now known as American football entered the United States.
Old July 5th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #1107
Benn

Likes (Received): 167

While they may have gotten the idea from Canada there is some complexity to how the foward pass became legal. Most of the American football establishment was opposed to it, however the 1905 season saw 19 people die (largely from head injuries) while playing collegiate Football, and Pres. Rosevelt (along with a number of other politicians) insisted serious rule changes be instuted or the game would be outlawed. The more popular option for many was to widen the field in order to open the game up, however few stadiums (Harvard in particular) could not widen the field because of the narrow design, so the end option was to allow the forward pass (although it was little used by most schools for several decades).

FYI the first official American Football game took place between Princeton and Rutgers in 1869, though its unofficial roots date back to about the 1830s in old division football Boston game and rugby.
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 04:43 AM   #1108
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Whether one likes football or not, it is an important part of Canada's cultural heritage and its Canadian origin, is a historical fact. It has become a massive cultural phenomenon on this continent, and that alone, makes it relevant.

After football spread to the United States, there were various alterations and changes made to the game on both sides of the border. Some new practices were adopted in both countries, but not all. This is why the US version, differs from the Canadian. I do not have a date regarding when 3 down football became the norm in the USA.

The first documented football match was a game played at University College, University of Toronto on November 9, 1861. A football club was formed at the university soon afterwards, although its rules of play at this stage are unclear. In 1864, at Trinity College, Toronto, F. Barlow Cumberland and Frederick A. Bethune devised rules based on rugby football. However, modern Canadian football is widely regarded as having originated with a game of rugby played in Montreal, in 1865, when British Army officers played local civilians. The game gradually gained a following, and the Montreal Football Club was formed in 1868, the first recorded non-university football club in Canada.

This 'rugby-football' soon became popular at McGill University. McGill challenged Harvard University to a game, in 1874. It is through this varsity play, that the game now known as American football entered the United States.
its true that PART of the concept of modern american football came from canada, but at least half of the game was already developed in the US when they played that McGill Harvard game. The end result of the COMBINATION of the two sports gives us the game today. The US has just as much to do with it as Canada.
en1044 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #1109
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

I can only judge by looking to their looks so for me, Beijing Olympic stadium will be the best after that Alianz Arena.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #1110
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn View Post
FYI the first official American Football game took place between Princeton and Rutgers in 1869, though its unofficial roots date back to about the 1830s in old division football Boston game and rugby.
The games you refer to were rugby matches, not football. Rugby evolved into football in Canada with the introduction of the forward pass. This 'rugby-football' soon became popular at McGill University. McGill challenged Harvard University to a game, in 1874. It is through this varsity play, that the game now known as American football entered the United States.

The first documented football match was a game played at University College, University of Toronto on November 9, 1861.

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
its true that PART of the concept of modern american football came from canada, but at least half of the game was already developed in the US when they played that McGill Harvard game. The end result of the COMBINATION of the two sports gives us the game today. The US has just as much to do with it as Canada.
The game played in the United States before the Harvard-McGill games were rugby. Football and the forward pass came from Canada. It's from this point, not before, that US contributions to the already developed game of football were made. The US has made many contributions to the game since. That is well documented.

Football may be ingrained in US culture, but that doesn't change the fact that this sport is Canadian is origin.

Last edited by isaidso; July 6th, 2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old July 7th, 2008, 02:44 AM   #1111
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
The games you refer to were rugby matches, not football. Rugby evolved into football in Canada with the introduction of the forward pass. This 'rugby-football' soon became popular at McGill University. McGill challenged Harvard University to a game, in 1874. It is through this varsity play, that the game now known as American football entered the United States.

The first documented football match was a game played at University College, University of Toronto on November 9, 1861.

The game played in the United States before the Harvard-McGill games were rugby. Football and the forward pass came from Canada. It's from this point, not before, that US contributions to the already developed game of football were made. The US has made many contributions to the game since. That is well documented.

Football may be ingrained in US culture, but that doesn't change the fact that this sport is Canadian is origin.

all i can say is check your sources

both sides have just as much do do with the development of the game, to say that it is canadian in origin is just ignorant. If you have ever heard of the boston game from Harvard then you would know what im talking about. After the Boston Games' rules were combined with the rules form McGill the end result was american football.

And if you do know anything about the game, then you would know that Walter Camp had more to do with the development of the game than anything. Not canada.

Last edited by en1044; July 7th, 2008 at 02:52 AM.
Old July 7th, 2008, 02:55 AM   #1112
isaidso
the new republic

I was going to suggest the same to you. People assume this is a US sport because of its place in US culture. If you do a lot of digging, it remains a sport in which the US has made large contributions, but the facts are quite clear. It was brought to the US from Canada.

Last edited by isaidso; July 7th, 2008 at 03:17 AM.
Old July 7th, 2008, 02:58 AM   #1113
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
I was going to suggest the same to you. People assume this is a US sport because of its place in US culture. If you do a lot of digging, it remains a sport in which the US has made large contributions, but the facts are quite clear. It was brought to the US from Canada.
ok ill go check my sources...my grandfather, a US sports historian. the fact is that Canadians have claimed to have invented the sport for years when in actuality it was a joint deal between McGill and Harvard. Dont question a man who has made this his life's work. Ill use an analogy he JUST told me...if McGill were Peanut Butter and Harvard was jelly, then you have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (football)...you can have one without the other. peanut butter cant claim to have made the whole thing.

Last edited by en1044; July 7th, 2008 at 03:08 AM.
Old July 7th, 2008, 03:18 AM   #1114
isaidso
the new republic

I understand the analogy, but it doesn't change the fact that it was the peanut butter to which the jelly was added. That might sound petty, but it's an important distinction when you are researching the origins or roots of something.
Old July 7th, 2008, 03:23 AM   #1115
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
I understand the analogy, but it doesn't change the fact that it was the peanut butter to which the jelly was added. That might sound petty, but it's an important distinction when you are researching the origins or roots of something.
im giving up. ill go tell my grandfather that hes been wrong his whole life and should give back his degree.

Old July 7th, 2008, 04:48 AM   #1116
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Whatever though, Canadians are just jealous that the NFL is miles better than the lol CFL.

hngcm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 05:39 AM   #1117
kazetuner
Perito Mercantil XD

Likes (Received): 38

my list:
Beijing olympic stadium
Emirates
stade de france
camp nou
munich olympic
allianz arena
azteca
wembley
san siro
maracana

Last edited by kazetuner; July 7th, 2008 at 09:48 PM.
kazetuner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #1118
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
im giving up. ill go tell my grandfather that hes been wrong his whole life and should give back his degree.

Break it to him gently. I suppose we shouldn't make matters worse and start talking about baseball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
Whatever though, Canadians are just jealous that the NFL is miles better than the lol CFL.

Kilometres better? No. Perhaps, kilometres more successful. 270 million more television viewers in your country will do that! Just be thankful you live in a massively populous country.
Old July 7th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #1119
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Break it to him gently. I suppose we shouldn't make matters worse and start talking about baseball?

Kilometres better? No. Perhaps, kilometres more successful. 270 million more television viewers in your country will do that! Just be thankful you live in a massively populous country.
you wont give up will you...dont try to argue a point when you have absolutely nothing backing up yourself up. and yes, lets not get started with baseball. the game played in canada in the 1830's has nothing to do with modern baseball. dont even bother arguing this, you wont win.
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #1120
isaidso
the new republic

Oh dear!

Nothing to back it up? That's a desperation rebuttal considering there's a mountain of evidence that does back up what I'm stating as fact. Your claims, are just that, claims. Some people certainly can't even contemplate the notion that their deeply held beliefs may not be accurate.

Nothing to do with baseball? Baseball grew out of rounders. Never mind! I was about to, but you're quite right about me not bothering to argue that point. I'm done. Go visit the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame site, and take it up with them instead. There are a whole whack of people who would willingly debunk your claims. I'm not committing any more time to this. I'm off to another thread.

Last edited by isaidso; July 7th, 2008 at 10:26 PM.

Tags
glass