daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: Do You like stadiums
Yes 154 96.86%
No 5 3.14%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 16th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #1221
likasz
Registered User
 
likasz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,380
Likes (Received): 41

1.Wembley
2.Nou Camp
3.Beijing National Stadium
4.Munich Allianz Arena
5. Emirates Arena London
6. Olympic Stadium Berlin
7. Nou Mestalla Stadium Valencia
9. Ford Field, Detroit
10.Saitama Super Arena
likasz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #1222
oweeyman
B-)
 
oweeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Interlaken
Posts: 1,482
Likes (Received): 40

my favourite stadium

Gelora Bung Karno Main Stadium, Jakarta
Capacity:88.000p-all seaters





Last edited by oweeyman; September 17th, 2008 at 03:18 PM.
oweeyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 03:06 AM   #1223
bing222
Registered User
 
bing222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 802
Likes (Received): 12



Beautiful stadium!!
__________________
SYDNEY FC PREMIERS

2010-11

SYDNEY FC CHAMPIONS

2005-06
2010-11
bing222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #1224
brasil2014
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 57
Likes (Received): 3

My 10 beautifuls stadiums

1- Athens Olympic Stadium



2- Maracana




3- Allianz Arena


4- Berlin Olympic Stadium




5- Luzhniki Stadium


6- Wembley Stadium


7- Khalifa International Stadium


8- Emirates Stadium



9- Hampden Park


10- Stadium Salzburg
brasil2014 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 08:31 AM   #1225
Walbanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,239
Likes (Received): 1102

I love North Sydney Oval. A quaint cricket ground on the other site of the harbour bridge. Also hosts rugby and australian football.



image hosted on flickr
Walbanger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #1226
bing222
Registered User
 
bing222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 802
Likes (Received): 12

Also Suncorop stadium is the best place in the world to watch rugby, football.
__________________
SYDNEY FC PREMIERS

2010-11

SYDNEY FC CHAMPIONS

2005-06
2010-11
bing222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #1227
KingmanIII
Registered User
 
KingmanIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Killa City, Misery
Posts: 2,627
Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing222 View Post
Also Suncorop stadium is the best place in the world to watch rugby, football.
Agreed.

One of my favorite stadiums in Oz.

It was actually designed by the Brisbane branch of HOK, a sports architecture firm based in my hometown of Kansas City, Missouri!
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #1228
ambiente2008
Registered User
 
ambiente2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lisboa
Posts: 6,242
Likes (Received): 5708

Portugal diferent stadium

Braga stadium - unique



image hosted on flickr




ambiente2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:37 PM   #1229
JohnnyMoon
Registered User
 
JohnnyMoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by somataki View Post
Nothing could beat this one in terms of beauty:

First modern olympic stadium, Athens-Greece.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Awesome !!!!!!

especially the twilight ones..........

JohnnyMoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:55 PM   #1230
Giorgio
Registered User
 
Giorgio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,677
Likes (Received): 480

[IMG]http://s4.************/x2rjv5.jpg[/IMG]
Beautiful curves.
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #1231
Zorba
Stadium Fan
 
Zorba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Athens
Posts: 827
Likes (Received): 2

Maybe not the most new and flashy stadium in the world but it is certainly elegant and really a classic Pure beauty at Camp Nou....

Zorba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:56 AM   #1232
Guderian44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2
Likes (Received): 0

Suprised no one has mentioned this:

Olympic Stadium, Berlin - The Jesse Owens Stadium





Guderian44 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 07:46 AM   #1233
KingmanIII
Registered User
 
KingmanIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Killa City, Misery
Posts: 2,627
Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The games you refer to were rugby matches, not football. Rugby evolved into football in Canada with the introduction of the forward pass. This 'rugby-football' soon became popular at McGill University. McGill challenged Harvard University to a game, in 1874. It is through this varsity play, that the game now known as American football entered the United States.

The first documented football match was a game played at University College, University of Toronto on November 9, 1861.



The game played in the United States before the Harvard-McGill games were rugby. Football and the forward pass came from Canada. It's from this point, not before, that US contributions to the already developed game of football were made. The US has made many contributions to the game since. That is well documented.

Football may be ingrained in US culture, but that doesn't change the fact that this sport is Canadian is origin.
Actually, you have it backwards. The game McGill played before their exchange with Harvard in 1874 was Rugby, which was introduced to Canada by British soldiers in the first half of the 19th century--the game played in Toronto in 1861 bore little resemblance to the game McGill introduced to Harvard.

Meanwhile, in the United States, parallel to the development of the Toronto game, a game more closely resembling association football/soccer (with limited running), called the Boston Game, developed and flourished at American universities from the late 1850s until the infamous encounter with McGill. As a matter of fact, in 1861, the same year the first Canadian football club was formed, so was the first American club--the Oneida football club, which is largely credited with the spread of the Boston Game during that decade.

And it is a pretty well-known fact that the forward pass was legalized in American football in 1906 as part of the effort to make the game safer (in addition to the ban of massing plays, among other rules)--the CRU (Canadian Rugby Union) first legalized the forward pass in amateur leagues in 1929 and in all leagues in 1931.
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #1234
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,623
Likes (Received): 10782

Wrong! Here we go again. You have your facts backwards.

In the first half of the 19th century, the game played in the USA and Canada was rugby. It was introduced by the English. The game, as played in the United States which you refer to more closely resembled English rugby, as it did north of the border. You go on to argue about the Boston Game, and state that it resembled soccer? How does that help your argument? It doesn't.

Back in Canada, the game began to evolve away from rugby as played elsewhere on the continent. The first major break from rugby occurred with the introduction of the forward pass. The first documented football match was a game played at University College, University of Toronto on November 9, 1861. This is a very well accepted fact, even by Americans.

This new off shoot of rugby, or 'rugby-football', spread to Montreal, and quickly became popular at McGill University. McGill challenged Harvard University to a game, in 1874. Harvard, and the rest of the US, were still playing rugby at this time. Harvard and McGill played a game of Harvard rules which was rugby; and they played the Canadian game with the forward pass. Harvard loved the Canadian game, and brought it back to the US where it flourished.

It is through the varsity play between McGill and Harvard, that the game now known as American football entered the United States. That is a fairly universally agreed upon fact.

It is true that the forward pass was legalized in US football in 1906, but so what. The game had been played like that for decades already in Canada. Just because the US suddenly decided to adopt this characteristic doesn't mean it was invented there. If anything it solidifies the case for it being a Canadian game introduced to the US.

Over the following decades new rules and ideas were swapped back and forth between the 2 countries. Most were adopted, but some were not universally adopted. That is why there exists 2 strains of football in the 2 nations. Football, as is played in Canada, and US rules football with 4 downs, and a smaller field. It seems like it needs repeating:

Football may be ingrained in US culture, but that doesn't change the fact that this sport is Canadian is origin.
__________________
World's 1st Baseball Game: June 4th, 1838, Beachville, Ontario, Canada
North America's Oldest Pro Football Teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) and Hamilton Tiger Cats (1869)

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; October 28th, 2008 at 09:52 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #1235
KingmanIII
Registered User
 
KingmanIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Killa City, Misery
Posts: 2,627
Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Wrong! Here we go again. You have your facts backwards.

In the first half of the 19th century, the game played in the USA and Canada was rugby. It was introduced by the English. The game, as played in the United States which you refer to more closely resembled English rugby, as it did north of the border. You go on to argue about the Boston Game, and state that it resembled soccer? How does that help your argument? It doesn't.
Numerous variations of football existed in the United States in the early 19th century, most resembling the old English game of "mob football." By the middle of the century, football games were divided into two general categories: "running games" and "kicking games." The Boston Game was a hybrid of the two--the player in possession of the ball could pick up the ball and run if he was being pursued by a defender. With the exception of the Boston Game, kicking games were generally more popular in the U.S. at the time.

Quote:
Back in Canada, the game began to evolve away from rugby as played elsewhere on the continent. The first major break from rugby occurred with the introduction of the forward pass.
The forward pass was introduced to Canadian football (then Canadian Rugby) by Frank Shaughnessy in 1921 in a game against Syracuse, and it wasn't legalized in amateur leagues until 1929, and in all leagues until 1931. This is indisputable fact.
http://athletics.mcgill.ca/varsity_s...athlete_id=962
http://football.mcgill.ca/theteam/about.php
http://www.cfl.ca/page/his_timeline_1920
http://www.cfl.ca/page/his_timeline_1930
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/V.../1926_195.html
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...ball-in-Canada
http://hubpages.com/hub/A-Guide-on-Canadian-Football
http://www.profootballresearchers.or.../13-01-415.pdf

Quote:
The first documented football match was a game played at University College, University of Toronto on November 9, 1861. This is a very well accepted fact, even by Americans.
I acknowledged that, while stating that the first American football club (Oneida) was formed the same year. It is also unclear under which rules the Toronto game was played (from what sources I could gather, it was Rugby).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oneida_Football_Club

Quote:
This new off shoot of rugby, or 'rugby-football', spread to Montreal, and quickly became popular at McGill University. McGill challenged Harvard University to a game, in 1874. Harvard, and the rest of the US, were still playing rugby at this time. Harvard and McGill played a game of Harvard rules which was rugby; and they played the Canadian game with the forward pass. Harvard loved the Canadian game, and brought it back to the US where it flourished.

It is through the varsity play between McGill and Harvard, that the game now known as American football entered the United States. That is a fairly universally agreed upon fact.
The first game Harvard played against McGill was the Boston Game, which Harvard won, 3-0. Harvard then played McGill to a scoreless tie in McGill's version of Rugby, which, by no accounts of the game, allowed forward passing.
http://www.the-game.org/history-originsto1889.htm

So yes, the game McGill introduced to Harvard spread like wildfire in the U.S., but that game was Rugby, not modern gridiron football, and it certainly didn't allow the use of the forward pass.

Quote:
It is true that the forward pass was legalized in US football in 1906, but so what. The game had been played like that for decades already in Canada. Just because the US suddenly decided to adopt this characteristic doesn't mean it was invented there. If anything it solidifies the case for it being a Canadian game introduced to the US.
As shown above, this is completely false.

Quote:
Over the following decades new rules and ideas were swapped back and forth between the 2 countries. Most were adopted, but some were not universally adopted. That is why there exists 2 strains of football in the 2 nations. Football, as is played in Canada, and US rules football with 4 downs, and a smaller field.
No argument about this.

Quote:
It seems like it needs repeating:

Football may be ingrained in US culture, but that doesn't change the fact that this sport is Canadian is origin.
Only inasmuch as Canadians introduced Americans to Rugby.
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #1236
en1044
Unregistered User
 
en1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,405
Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
Numerous variations of football existed in the United States in the early 19th century, most resembling the old English game of "mob football." By the middle of the century, football games were divided into two general categories: "running games" and "kicking games." The Boston Game was a hybrid of the two--the player in possession of the ball could pick up the ball and run if he was being pursued by a defender. With the exception of the Boston Game, kicking games were generally more popular in the U.S. at the time.



The forward pass was introduced to Canadian football (then Canadian Rugby) by Frank Shaughnessy in 1921 in a game against Syracuse, and it wasn't legalized in amateur leagues until 1929, and in all leagues until 1931. This is indisputable fact.
http://athletics.mcgill.ca/varsity_s...athlete_id=962
http://football.mcgill.ca/theteam/about.php
http://www.cfl.ca/page/his_timeline_1920
http://www.cfl.ca/page/his_timeline_1930
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/V.../1926_195.html
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...ball-in-Canada
http://hubpages.com/hub/A-Guide-on-Canadian-Football
http://www.profootballresearchers.or.../13-01-415.pdf



I acknowledged that, while stating that the first American football club (Oneida) was formed the same year. It is also unclear under which rules the Toronto game was played (from what sources I could gather, it was Rugby).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oneida_Football_Club



The first game Harvard played against McGill was the Boston Game, which Harvard won, 3-0. Harvard then played McGill to a scoreless tie in McGill's version of Rugby, which, by no accounts of the game, allowed forward passing.
http://www.the-game.org/history-originsto1889.htm

So yes, the game McGill introduced to Harvard spread like wildfire in the U.S., but that game was Rugby, not modern gridiron football, and it certainly didn't allow the use of the forward pass.



As shown above, this is completely false.



No argument about this.



Only inasmuch as Canadians introduced Americans to Rugby.
i tried to have this discussion with this guy a few months back. dont try to argue with this idiot, he thinks he knows what hes talking about, but in fact he is wrong on so many levels. He is also extremely rude. My grandfather is a sports historian and i laid out the facts and he said my grandpa needed to get a new job. Again, dont bother with this fool.
__________________
WASHINGTON REDSKINS
en1044 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:01 PM   #1237
willem s
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: druten
Posts: 653
Likes (Received): 8

No feyenoord stadium in the thread

1 de kuip rotterdam
2 allianz
3arsenal
4 real madrid

Last edited by willem s; October 31st, 2008 at 07:14 PM.
willem s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:09 PM   #1238
Joelre
Turkish hottie
 
Joelre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Uranus
Posts: 203
Likes (Received): 48

Beijing Olympic Stadium
Allianz Arena

Istanbul Ataturk Olympic Stadium also deserves top be in top10 with it's 81.000 capacity.

__________________
Muhtaš olduğun kudret, damarlarındaki asil kanda mevcuttur. M.K. ATAT▄RK
Joelre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:18 PM   #1239
willem s
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: druten
Posts: 653
Likes (Received): 8

turkish isnt EU
willem s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 08:43 PM   #1240
plasticterminator
Registered User
 
plasticterminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 467
Likes (Received): 16

TOP TEN MOST HISTORICALLY (POST 1900) FAMOUS TO GENERAL PUBLIC IMO
(not best facility wise that changes every three months)

10. PASADENA ROSE BOWL
9. CAMP NOU
8. OLD TRAFFORD
7. MUNICH OLYMPIC
6. CAMP NOU
5. AZTECA
4. MARACANA.
3. SAN SIRO
2. ESTADIO SANTIAGO BERNABAEU
1. OLD WEMBLEY
plasticterminator no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
glass

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu