daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do You like stadiums
Yes 154 96.86%
No 5 3.14%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 18th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #1621
carlspannoosh

Likes (Received): 745

Bombonera - Most famous club stadium in S.America
Azteca - Most famous World Cup Stadium
Maracana - Brazil and all that
San Siro - Spectacular stadium and home to 2 of the biggest teams in the world
Wembley - Possibly the most famous stadium in the world
Nou Camp - Huge stadium, huge club
Bernabeu - Home to most succesful club in world football
Anfield - The Kop
Old Trafford - Very famous old stadium and massive club.
I think few people would argue with those. 10th position is tough. There are good arguments for any of the following, Ibrox,Allianz Arena, Da Luz, Emirates or De Kuip. There are probably others but I cant think of them right now.
carlspannoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:42 AM   #1622
Amaruu
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
Old Trafford surely.
Only when Man Utd are winning or are in contention to win. Did you see Old Trafford the day Liverpool smashed them 4-1? With 10 minutes to go, you could apparently yell out and hear your own echo. The chant of YNWA echoed around that stadium because all the Manchester boys went home early. Man U to a tee. Glory glory.
Amaruu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #1623
trmather

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaruu View Post
Only when Man Utd are winning or are in contention to win. Did you see Old Trafford the day Liverpool smashed them 4-1? With 10 minutes to go, you could apparently yell out and hear your own echo. The chant of YNWA echoed around that stadium because all the Manchester boys went home early. Man U to a tee. Glory glory.
And the same happens at Anfield when they lose. The same happens in every stadium when the home team is losing, especially 4-1...

Old Trafford is iconic because it is synonymous with a worldwide brand. United are known around the world and are known for playing at Old Trafford. The same can be said for Liverpool and Anfield (especially the Kop).

I think the top 10 should be the ones that you could ask anyone around the world about, and they'd know what you're on about.

For that, I think unfortunately grounds like La Bombonera cannot be counted.
trmather no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #1624
Frnjchuga031
Lega

Likes (Received): 449

Maksimir ?

Has some real history for sure... For many it was the start of war in former Yugoslavia...
And even today there are great fan performances on that stadium...

Although not many great football games were played there and stadium is quite ugly...

JA SAM JEDAN OD ONIH NA KOJE SU NAS RODITELJI UPOZORAVALI !
Frnjchuga031 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #1625
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaruu View Post
oh and how we do love winning
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #1626
SSE

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmather View Post
And the same happens at Anfield when they lose. The same happens in every stadium when the home team is losing, especially 4-1...

Old Trafford is iconic because it is synonymous with a worldwide brand. United are known around the world and are known for playing at Old Trafford. The same can be said for Liverpool and Anfield (especially the Kop).

I think the top 10 should be the ones that you could ask anyone around the world about, and they'd know what you're on about.

Old Trafford can be like a morgue even when United are winning. I remember Palace losing 5-2 at Old Trafford and the atmosphere was awful. Palace fans (as away fans often do) never stopped singing but there were United fans leaving with 15 minutes to go!

It's an impressive stadium, but it seriously lacks in atmosphere more often than not. As I said, it's only really on big European nights that Anfield lives up to it's reputation. The growth of the global football brand and football tourism has definitely harmed the atmosphere at several top clubs.
SSE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #1627
SASH

Likes (Received): 5857

In no particular order:

Wembley
Old Trafford
Anfield
Nou Camp
Bernabeu
San Siro
Olympia Stadion München (altough it isn't used anymore)
Westfalenstadion
Azteca
De Kuip (I don't understand why this stadium is mentioned only twice?)
It was host of 11 international Finals and still is the most beautiful stadium in the Netherlands.
• 1963 ECII: Tottenham Hotspur - Atlético Madrid 5-1
• 1968 ECII: AC Milan - Hamburger SV 2-0
• 1972 ECI: Ajax - Internazionale 2-0
• 1974 UEFA Cup: Feyenoord - Tottenham Hotspur 2-0
• 1974 ECII: FC Magdeburg - AC Milan 0-2
• 1982 ECI: Aston Villa - Bayern München 1-0
• 1985 ECII: Everton - Rapid Wien 3-1
• 1991 ECII: Manchester United - FC Barcelona 2-1
• 1997 ECII: FC Barcelona - Paris Saint-Germain 1-0
• 2000 EURO 2000: Frankrijk - Italië 2-1
• 2002 UEFA Cup: Feyenoord - Borussia Dortmund 3-2
SASH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #1628
JimB

Likes (Received): 4813

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASH SCF View Post
In no particular order:

Wembley
Old Trafford
Anfield
Nou Camp
Bernabeu
San Siro
Westfalenstadion
Azteca
It was host of 11 international Finals and still is the most beautiful stadium in the Netherlands.
De Kuip is there or thereabouts, certainly. But doesn't quite make the top ten, IMO.

It's just that there are at least ten other more famous and iconic stadiums around the world.
JimB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #1629
SSE

Quote:
In no particular order:

Wembley
Old Trafford
Anfield
Nou Camp
Bernabeu
San Siro
Westfalenstadion
Azteca
It was a close call, but I went for La Bombonera over De Kuip.
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #1630
Blackpool88

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE View Post
Old Trafford can be like a morgue even when United are winning. I remember Palace losing 5-2 at Old Trafford and the atmosphere was awful. Palace fans (as away fans often do) never stopped singing but there were United fans leaving with 15 minutes to go!

It's an impressive stadium, but it seriously lacks in atmosphere more often than not. As I said, it's only really on big European nights that Anfield lives up to it's reputation. The growth of the global football brand and football tourism has definitely harmed the atmosphere at several top clubs.
I remember Blackpool at Selhurst last season and I didn't hear a whisper out of your fans for 90 minutes and we never stopped. It just depends on the match, how are 75,000 people gonna get so happy about watching them demolish Palace, they see it week in week out, only when the big four come to town or when they find themselves in a real close match or a big European night will you feel the atmosphere get cranked up, it's the same at all big clubs.
Blackpool88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #1631
Luke80

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Palace fans (as away fans often do) never stopped singing but there were United fans leaving with 15 minutes to go!
I'm sure your place has a cracking atmosphere every weekend being half empty - Selhurst must have been rocking at 4-0 to Scunthorpe!

I bet the atmosphere at Old Trafford is no worse than other successful clubs in the prem. People leave early at every ground. All things considered, United and Liverpool probably have the best away fans in the country (or at least in the prem).
Luke80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #1632
AdidasGazelle

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:

This is what happens when you are as successful as United have been over the past 18 years. A lot of the working class support have been priced out and their places taken by 'new' football 'fans' who are only interested in taking pictures of the players and have no interest in making a noise.

I don't want to insult you but United fans are not excited about playing Crystal Palace and are not up for it. It is a game they just expect to win.

But this isn't a problem just United are suffereing from. Anfailed is like a library now for all except the biggest of games. The myth about Anfailed still does the rounds even though their famous YNWA anthem needs the PA system to get it going.

Just face facts. The type of football fans who are now attending a lot of our stadiums have no interest in singing and making a noise, they just expect to be entertained. I'm just glad that I experienced the late 70s and all the 80s following United and know what it was like to be involved with passionate fans.

AdidasGazelle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #1633
SSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpool88 View Post
I remember Blackpool at Selhurst last season and I didn't hear a whisper out of your fans for 90 minutes and we never stopped. It just depends on the match, how are 75,000 people gonna get so happy about watching them demolish Palace, they see it week in week out, only when the big four come to town or when they find themselves in a real close match or a big European night will you feel the atmosphere get cranked up, it's the same at all big clubs.
Our game against you last season was absolutely dreadful, and we were going through an incredibly poor spell. It was a lot noisier a couple of weeks ago that's for sure. Even if you expect to win, if you can't get excited about scoring 5 goals there is something wrong with you, especially as there was obviously the promise of more goals.

Besides, I don't see how Palace's support has anything to do with my point? I wasn't saying Selhurst Park deserved to be in there, nor that our support was particularly vocal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke80 View Post
I'm sure your place has a cracking atmosphere every weekend being half empty - Selhurst must have been rocking at 4-0 to Scunthorpe!

I bet the atmosphere at Old Trafford is no worse than other successful clubs in the prem. People leave early at every ground. All things considered, United and Liverpool probably have the best away fans in the country (or at least in the prem).
The game against Scunthorpe was actually quite noisy, not all of it positive. Needless to say now that we are 5 games unbeaten and taking points off teams above us in the table the atmosphere is certainly better. We have lost a lot of our support as a combination of the growth of the big 4 brands, the credit crunch and the fact that the club is skint and not exactly playing like Barcelona. Again, that's not the point though, and that wasn't exactly required was it? Would you be the same Luke80 from Football Forums?

Best away support? I don't see how. The only reason they sell out every away game is because of all the fans based in other parts of the country bolstering travelling supporters. Chelsea and Arsenal take large numbers wherever they go and they certainly don't have as much wide spread appeal as Liverpool or United. Most of the big clubs in the Prem will nearly sell-out their allocation for 80% of their away games. The myth of Newcastle's 'toon army' may be annoying, but for a relegated team, a long journey and not the nicest away end in the country they sold out their allocation at Selhurst in August. The best away fans I've ever seen are Sheffield Wednesday, who always bring excellent numbers no matter when the game is.

Anyway, this still doesn't take away from my point that the atmosphere at Old Trafford is pretty poor, and that's for even the bigger games. Anfield may be overrated (I believe I said as much in my original post) but it does get going for the bigger games, and a lot more so than Old Trafford.

Besides, you could say the same about the Nou Camp, Bernabeu, San Siro etc. when they are half empty on a wednesday night against Almeria or Livorno or whoever.
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #1634
AdidasGazelle

Likes (Received): 5

He means the noisiest away support in the country.
AdidasGazelle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:49 AM   #1635
Blackpool88

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Our game against you last season was absolutely dreadful, and we were going through an incredibly poor spell. It was a lot noisier a couple of weeks ago that's for sure. Even if you expect to win, if you can't get excited about scoring 5 goals there is something wrong with you, especially as there was obviously the promise of more goals.

Besides, I don't see how Palace's support has anything to do with my point? I wasn't saying Selhurst Park deserved to be in there, nor that our support was particularly vocal.

The game against Scunthorpe was actually quite noisy, not all of it positive. Needless to say now that we are 5 games unbeaten and taking points off teams above us in the table the atmosphere is certainly better. We have lost a lot of our support as a combination of the growth of the big 4 brands, the credit crunch and the fact that the club is skint and not exactly playing like Barcelona. Again, that's not the point though, and that wasn't exactly required was it? Would you be the same Luke80 from Football Forums?

Best away support? I don't see how. The only reason they sell out every away game is because of all the fans based in other parts of the country bolstering travelling supporters. Chelsea and Arsenal take large numbers wherever they go and they certainly don't have as much wide spread appeal as Liverpool or United. Most of the big clubs in the Prem will nearly sell-out their allocation for 80% of their away games. The myth of Newcastle's 'toon army' may be annoying, but for a relegated team, a long journey and not the nicest away end in the country they sold out their allocation at Selhurst in August. The best away fans I've ever seen are Sheffield Wednesday, who always bring excellent numbers no matter when the game is.

Anyway, this still doesn't take away from my point that the atmosphere at Old Trafford is pretty poor, and that's for even the bigger games. Anfield may be overrated (I believe I said as much in my original post) but it does get going for the bigger games, and a lot more so than Old Trafford.

Besides, you could say the same about the Nou Camp, Bernabeu, San Siro etc. when they are half empty on a wednesday night against Almeria or Livorno or whoever.
My point was that atmosphere is dependant upon circumstances. When Blackpool played you we went down to 10 men after 4 minutes and ragged a 0-1 win away from home so the fans were going nuts, a comfortable 3-0 home win would not get me so excited.

And United have brilliant travelling support and it has nothing to do with their fans living all over the country. The Red Army are widely considered the best away fans in the country, never sit down and never stop singing. It's a myth that United don't have any local fans, walk around Manchester you see tons of United shirts.

... Anyway I'd definitely consider Old Trafford in the top 10 most iconic stadiums.
Blackpool88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:52 AM   #1636
AcesHigh
Taking On The World

Likes (Received): 7958

Quote:
In no particular order:

Wembley
Old Trafford
Anfield
Nou Camp
Bernabeu
San Siro
Westfalenstadion
Azteca

so you left Maracană out, even though it was the largest stadium in the world when built, hosted a World Cup final with the largest audience ever in any football match (200 thousand people), is the main venue for Flamengo, Vasco and Fluminense, hosted the Rock In Rio 2 event, will host the final match of the 2014 World Cup, etc, etc???

as for atmosphere

Last edited by AcesHigh; October 20th, 2009 at 02:58 AM.
AcesHigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:54 AM   #1637
Carrerra

Likes (Received): 22

Suwon Worldcup Stadium surely
Carrerra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:26 AM   #1638
Kriativus

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts67 View Post
In no order:

-Camp nou
-Wembley
-Westfalenstadion
-Bernabeu
-Anfield
-Old trafford
-Velodrome
-Parc des Princes

-San Siro
-Ibrox Park
Are you french ?
Kriativus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:36 AM   #1639
Kriativus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Wembley hosts cup finals and play-off finals. More than a dozen of teams play their biggest game of the season there. It is the place of great triumphs and synonymic with glory. Wembley Stadium is by far the most iconic stadium in the world.
Sorry, the old one was. Not the new one. Stop being biased.

The iconic Wembley does not exist anymore. What we have now is a completely new stadium. The history is buried.
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:46 AM   #1640
Kriativus

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmather View Post

Again, stop being biased. Europe is not the only place that plays football. Boca Jrs together with AC Milan is the most sucessfull club in the world and it surely makes La Bombonera famous and iconic all over the world.

Tags
glass