daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do You like stadiums
Yes 154 96.86%
No 5 3.14%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 20th, 2009, 04:55 AM   #1641
Blackpool88

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriativus View Post
Again, stop being biased. Europe is not the only place that plays football. Boca Jrs together with AC Milan is the most sucessfull club in the world and it surely makes La Bombonera famous and iconic all over the world.
Boca Juniors and AC Milan?
Blackpool88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2009, 05:22 AM   #1642
Kriativus

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpool88 View Post
Boca Juniors and AC Milan?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...d_.28top_20.29
Kriativus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #1643
woozoo

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE View Post
1. Nou Camp - Barcelona

Home to (at the moment) the best club in the world. A magnificent temple of football old and new. Barca fans may not be the most vocal, but it's sheer size is it's intimidation factor. Imagine being a Real player walking out onto to the pitch for a clasico and seeing this:

2. San Siro - Milan

Two of the world's biggest clubs, and a design that is completely unique. The first English team to win in the San Siro? Not Manchester United, not Liverpool, but Crystal Palace in the 1971 Anglo-Italian Cup, courtesy of a Steve Kember volley (our one claim to fame in Europe).

3. Wembley

The old one embodied tradition and passion in football. The new one is a fantastic arena and, given time, will become just as synonymous with football and England as the old one. It looks like becoming a fortress for the national team as well.

4. Anfield - Liverpool

Personally, I think it's a tad overrated in the Premiership. Still, there is no doubt that Anfield lives for the European Cup, when it turns into something very special. Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge and the Emirates don't get anywhere near it for atmosphere during the big games.

5. Westfalenstadion - Dortmund

Probably the most atmospheric stadium in Europe. For so long an impregnable fortress of the German national team, that all came crashing down in two blistering minutes against Italy in 2006. The Sudtribune against Schalke matches anything from around the world.

6. Maracana - Rio De Janeiro

Let's face it, when we think of football, the names that come to our heads are those of Pele, Garrincha, Zico, Socrates, Ronaldo. England gave football to the world, but Brazil have taken it far beyond anything the game's creators could have imagined. The Maracana is their temple, and the boys in yellow will be giving their all to win in their home stadium in 2014.

7. Centenario - Montevideo

The host of the first world cup final, and a big part of International football's most played fixture, Uruguay vs Argentina. Strikingly unique and a real cauldron when in full voice.

8. Bernabeu - Madrid

Fans of Manchester United or Barcelona might not agree, but I personally think Real Madrid is the biggest name in football. 31 La Liga titles and 9 European Cups says it all. Di Stefano and Puskas. Butragueño and Sanchez, Ronaldo (the proper one) and Zidane.

9. La Bombonera - Buenos Aires

Football is a sport that captions passion like few others can. Nowhere is that passion more clear than La Bombonera on derby day. It's a shame that it's very possible it's days are numbered.

10. Azteca - Mexico City

Two world cup finals, including possible the greatest team to ever grace the world cup. Add to that it's incredible size and the Azteca has to be on the list.

Great list there.
woozoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #1644
SASH

Likes (Received): 5857

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
so you left Maracanã out, even though it was the largest stadium in the world when built, hosted a World Cup final with the largest audience ever in any football match (200 thousand people), is the main venue for Flamengo, Vasco and Fluminense, hosted the Rock In Rio 2 event, will host the final match of the 2014 World Cup, etc, etc???

as for atmosphere
Sorry, but yes I did.
I have south american football on my TV in Holland. I've seen lots of games of Flamengo this year. The stadium was big and "nice" in the past. They have renovated it or something, but it isn't the stadium it was in past anymore.
Besides that, during the games of Flamengo I saw on TV, the stadium was hardly filled and it is to big for such a "small" crowd.
SASH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #1645
SASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
De Kuip is there or thereabouts, certainly. But doesn't quite make the top ten, IMO.

It's just that there are at least ten other more famous and iconic stadiums around the world.

Okay, perhaps more famous, but more iconic?

Here some facts:

Capacity at completion: 64,000. Maximum capacity: 69,000 (1949). Present day capacity: 51,177

Leen van Zandvliet, Feyenoord's president in the 1930s came up with the idea of building an entirely new stadium, unlike any other on the continent, with two free hanging tiers and no obstacles blocking the view.The famous designers of the van Nelle factories in Rotterdam were asked to design a stadium out of glass, concrete and steel, cheap materials at that time. They came up with a design that is modern even in this era. In fact, "de Kuip" acted as an example for many of the greatest stadia we know today, eg Nou Camp.

The stadium has hosted concerts since 1978. The first ones were Bob Dylan and Eric Clapton. Others who have played there include Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, Tina Turner, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, U2, Michael Jackson, David Bowie, Dido, Guns N' Roses, Genesis, Metallica and Dire Straits

It is the home stadium of football club Feyenoord, one of the traditional top teams in the Netherlands. It has also long been one of the home grounds of the Dutch national team, having hosted over 150 international matches, with the first one being a match against Belgium on 2 May 1937. Also, a record number of ten European finals has taken place in the Feijenoord stadium

On 29 October 1991 De Kuip was named as being one of Rotterdam's monuments. In 1994 the stadium was extensively renovated to its present form.It became an all seater and the roof was extended to cover all the seats. An extra building was constructed for commercial use by Feyenoord, it also houses a restaurant and a museum, The Home of History.

Here some pics of past and present.

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #1646
JimB

Likes (Received): 4801

Nice......

But, sorry, de Kuip still doesn't quite make my top ten.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #1647
woozoo

Likes (Received): 188

Mine neither.

*Not that big.
*Not home to a big club (maybe on Dutch scale, but not internationally).
*Never hosted anything too important football wise. Michael Jackson concert doesn't count.

Nice ground though.
woozoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #1648
JimB

Quote:
That list is based on numbers of international trophies - not on the importance of those trophies. Real Madrid's international trophies are, as a whole, more important than Milan's. The UEFA Super Cup, for instance, is a one-off game and not a trophy that anyone takes seriously.

So Real Madrid are really the most successful European team in terms of international competition. No neutral fan would dispute that.
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #1649
JimB

Quote:
Sorry, the old one was. Not the new one. Stop being biased.

The iconic Wembley does not exist anymore. What we have now is a completely new stadium. The history is buried.
The old stadium may have gone.

But the new stadium is in the exact same place and it is still called Wembley Stadium. That name alone has a magic to it that few stadiums in the world can equal.

The stadium is one of the biggest, most modern and, with its arch, most easily recognizable in the world.

It is the home of the country that gave Association Football to the world. It is the home of the FA Cup final - by far the most watched and famous domestic cup competition in the world.

Players from all over the world dream, one day, of playing at Wembley.

So, yes, the new Wembley is most definitely one of the top ten most iconic stadiums in the world.

As to bias......have you actually read this thread? It's not just English people who have included Wembley in their top ten. Pretty much every poster, from everywhere around the world, has done the same.
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #1650
SASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozoo View Post
Mine neither.

*Not that big.
*Not home to a big club (maybe on Dutch scale, but not internationally).
*Never hosted anything too important football wise. Michael Jackson concert doesn't count.

Nice ground though.

Never hosted anything too important football wise? 11 international Finals is not important? Before you make your selves ridicules, please read the previous post in which the list of Finals is posted.
Not that big? It is bigger than Anfield and Bombonera. So that's crap either!
Not home to a big club is also crap! It's is about truly iconic Stadiums not about the clubs which are playing in it. But if you like than I can give you an example. Is Borussia Dortmund a bigger club than Feyenoord? Don't think so. Feyenoord was the first Dutch Club to win the EC1 (1970) and the World Cup for teams (1970). It also won 2 EUFA cups (1974 and 2002). What has Dortmund won?
It is about icons and a stadium that acted as an example for many of the greatest stadia we know today, like Nou Camp, in my eyes is an icon!

Last edited by SASH; October 20th, 2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #1651
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9701

And what about the Parc des Princes ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Main events : (Including the former Parc des Princes)
33 French FA Cup Finals
3 French League Cup Finals
126 (non-friendly) International Football games
(French National team)
31 French Rugby Union Championship Finals
84 International Rugby Union games, Including the 5 Nations Championship
(French National team)
2 Super Cup of Portugal "SuperTaça Cândido de Oliveira", 1995 & 1996

(UEFA) Latin Cup (Final) 1952

(UEFA) Latin Cup (Final) 1955
UEFA Champions League (Final) 1956
UEFA Champions League (Final) 1975
UEFA Champions League (Final) 1981
UEFA Cup winners' cup (Final) 1978
UEFA Cup winners' cup (Final) 1995
UEFA Europa League (Final) 1998
UEFA Euro 1960: Final + 1 Semi-Final
UEFA Euro 1984: Final + several games
FIFA World Cup 1938: Opening+ several games
FIFA World Cup 1998 :Third place + several games
IRB World Cup 2007: Third place + several games

Eiffel Tower...

The Scottish........at Home (Euro 2008 qualifications)

Rugby (Stade Français-Paris)

2006 FIFA World Cup Final...... ...on the screens of course !

Last edited by parcdesprinces; October 21st, 2009 at 08:41 AM.
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #1652
JimB

Parc des Princes - great stadium but another that doesn't quite make the top ten for me.

And besides, until the last ten years, I always thought of PdP as more of a rugby stadium. I guess that's because, in England, we rarely got to see any French football but we got to see Six Nations rugby every year.
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #1653
carlspannoosh

Likes (Received): 745

Parc Des Prince is another of those that might get into the top 20 or 30 but I wouldnt put it above Villa Park for example which hasnt been mentioned yet or Westfalenstadion, De Kuip etc..
carlspannoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #1654
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Quote:
until the last ten years, I always thought of PdP as more of a rugby stadium. I guess that's because, in England, we rarely got to see any French football but we got to see Six Nations rugby every year.
Maybe you mean Rugby World cup or H Cup, because 6 nations was never been played at the Parc des Princes since the opening of the Stade de France (1998).

The last official rugby game played at the PdP took place in 1997 and it was still the 5 nations !
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #1655
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 10997

Quote:
Maybe you mean Rugby World cup or H Cup, because 6 nations was never been played at the Parc des Princes since the opening of the Stade de France (1998).
Yep, I remember it was Stade de France: maybe that's because there are so many people who wants to buy a ticket for a 6 Nations match (over all the classic one: France vs England ) they prefer a higher-capacity stadium.

BTW
Since 5/6 years in Italy rugby became someway popular too (thanks to a 'boost' on TV of 6 Nations) at least the matches concerning the national team.
On November 14 there will be Italy vs New Zealand (All Blacks are going to kick our poor ass...). The match will take place in Milan, in San Siro stadium, and it will be a sold out as they sold more than 70.000 tickets currently.

The rugby match with most spectators ever in Italy.

Sorry for the OT
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #1656
JimB

Quote:

The last official rugby game played at the PdP took place in 1997 and it was still the 5 nations !
You got me there!

But as to your main point, I did say in my original post that "until the last ten years, I always thought of PdP as more of a rugby stadium".

In other words, it's only in the last ten years that I've thought of PdP as a football stadium. Before that, I mostly (if not quite exclusively) thought of it as a rugby stadium.
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #1657
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI View Post
Yep, I remember it was Stade de France: maybe that's because there are so many people who wants to buy a ticket for a 6 Nations match (over all the classic one: France vs England ) they prefer a higher-capacity stadium.

BTW
Since 5/6 years in Italy rugby became someway popular too (thanks to a 'boost' on TV of 6 Nations) at least the matches concerning the national team.
On November 14 there will be Italy vs New Zealand (All Blacks are going to kick our poor ass...). The match will take place in Milan, in San Siro stadium, and it will be a sold out as they sold more than 70.000 tickets currently.

The rugby match with most spectators ever in Italy.

Sorry for the OT
Excellent. Really pleased that rugby is growing in Italy.
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #1658
trmather

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE View Post
Anyway, this still doesn't take away from my point that the atmosphere at Old Trafford is pretty poor, and that's for even the bigger games. Anfield may be overrated (I believe I said as much in my original post) but it does get going for the bigger games, and a lot more so than Old Trafford..
I'm sorry, but on a big European night Old Trafford is magnificent.

I can recall the game against Roma in 2007, it was particularly fantastic.

The first leg in the Olimpico had been marred by violent scenes, so even if the second leg had been a perfectly orderly affair, there would still have been an edge to the atmosphere. The Roma fans sparked up before the match causing trouble on the road from the Cricket ground down to the East Stand, and of course the less intelligent United fans were only happy to encourage them into violence.

Once you were inside the ground it was electric, seriously I was amazed because I'll happily admit the usual OT atmosphere is shite. The Roma fans were noisy and you could sense it was gonna be a big night. They had a former player telling us before the match that we needed to be loud because the team HAD to win, and to shut the Roma fans up.

Of course, the end result and the way United played helped the atmosphere because we battered them 7-1, but I can't stand by and let you say it doesn't get good for the big games because it does. (I actually remember being at a game against Blackburn some two weeks before the Roma game and the atmosphere was fantastic then as well).

The games against Milan in the next round, and Barcelona the year after also had electric atmospheres, and I can't imagine Anfield with it's wonderful European atmosphere being any louder than OT was on those occasions.

Also, who can forget the Chelsea game last season when the vast majority of the 76,000 spent 90 minutes taking the piss out of John Terry for missing the penalty in Moscow

Sorry for the rant, but I couldn't help myself. Every big team has a huge amount of fairweather/daytripper fans that ruin the average league match atmopshere, but once the games start to get serious, the noise comes in everywhere.
trmather no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #1659
SASH

The 10 best football pitches. (source English Blog)

Top 10:

1. Real Madrid
2. Arsenal
3. Feyenoord
4. Barcelona
5. Liverpool
6. RSC Anderlecht
7. Swansea City
8. Tottenham
9. HSV
10. Ipswich Town
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #1660
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Quote:
You got me there!

But as to your main point, I did say in my original post that "until the last ten years, I always thought of PdP as more of a rugby stadium".
My mistake, I didn't read correctly... !
And you're right, UNTIL (this is for me ) the last ten years, it was our national stadium and hosted every years the 5 nations...
But, it also hosted many UEFA finals and the GREAT PSG of the 90's in the UEFA cups !!

------------------

@GENIUS LOCI : Great news for Rugby, hope to see 6 nations at San Siro soon... Then this Championship will have the best average attendance in the World !!

Last edited by parcdesprinces; October 20th, 2009 at 05:01 PM.

Tags
glass