daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do You like stadiums
Yes 154 96.86%
No 5 3.14%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 3rd, 2010, 03:15 PM   #1861
Sochi NEW Dubai

Likes (Received): 3

I love too
new stadium in Saransk
new sochi stadium
Gazprom arena(st petersburg)
new krasnodar stadium and new Kaliningrad stadium
and others
Sochi NEW Dubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:34 PM   #1862
pawel19-87

Likes (Received): 1137

Allianz Arena
Estádio do Dragao
Emirates Stadium
San Siro
Warsaw Stadion Narodowy
pawel19-87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #1863
al74

Likes (Received): 23

1.- San Siro
2.- Allianz Arena
3.- Municipal de Braga
4.- Emirates
5.- Luigi Ferraris
al74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2010, 04:05 PM   #1864
calaf

Likes (Received): 0

Allianz Arena in Munich is a really cool stadium, I love the lights at night that make the stadium shine in red. In my top ten is also Nou Camp Stadium in Barcelona, that's probably my favorite stadium, it's an older one but the size and the atmosphere are indescribable there, I can only recommend to see a game of FC Barcelona there, you won't regret it.
calaf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #1865
lwa

Likes (Received): 58

Personally, im not a great fan of huge stadiums - since you are often high up and far from the action. I would much rather take a small, intimate venue with a great atmosphere where you are seated ontop of the pitch.

That being said, I would still have the Stade de France as my number 1 - there is just an auora of greatness about the place. the actual ground itself isnt that great, just a large industrious bowl of seating (although admittedly the roof is quite impressive) without much different to any other large ground.

But when you see the place lit up at night it makes all the difference (for me at least). Of course, I may be slightly biased because 2 of my earliest sporting memories were set there - The glorious day that Scotland were given the honour of opening the FIFA world cup in '98 against raining champions Brazil (in those days I thought we qualified for every tournament - we havent been back since), and the following year when Scotland ran in 5 tries in 20 second-half minutes to clinch the last ever 5 Nations crown. again, we havent done it since mind.

2. Stade aime Giral, Perpignan. a fantastic little ground, which is widely regarded as the most atmospheric ground in european rugby. Really want to attend a Catalan - Basque derby here!

3. Thomond Park, Limerick. a totally different atmosphere to Perpignan, but equally good. The perfect ground for club rugby - all the seats along the touchlines, towering over the pitch and providing great views. add in the terracing around the entire length of the pitch, and you have one of the most intimidating grounds in the sport. Also not short of the history, having played host to Munsters famous victory of the All Blacks, and Munsters incredible record of having only lost 1 HC game there in 15 years (since the tournaments inception)

4. Hampden Park, Glasgow. Perhaps a strange choice, and perhaps im being a bit biased as a Scotland supporter, but I feel it deserves its place. Its a shadow of the ground it once was, but every time I visit the ground I cant help but wonder what it would have been like in its prime, with the vast bowl packed with up to 180,000 people rather than just 50,000 seats. So much history to the place aswell, that is off international imprtance rather than just to Scotland. First ground in the world to have a dedicated press area, first ground to hold an all ticket match, first ground to use turnstiles to control access to the ground. all things that are taken for granted at nearly every sports venue in the world today.

And then there are the games that have been played there - the 1960 European Cup Final, widely accepted as the greatest final of all time, where Real Madrid beat Eintracht Frankfurt 7-3, and Real Madrids second visit to the stadium in 2002, a game remembered for THAT Zidane volley. UEFA love the stadium, and have told the SFA that if they bid for any final after 2012 (5 years from the most recent) then they are almost garunteed to get it. Suspect the SFA may bid for the 2014 CL/EL final to coincide with the Commonwealth Games and the year of Homecoming.

The last remaining example of the 'Glasgow Ovals'. At one point, there were 5 of these colossal bowls of terracing (some more populated than others) ion the city - including the 3 biggest football stadiums in the world at one point. with the demolishion of the City End terrace at Firhill, none now remain in use in their original form. (although Cathkin Park - or the 1st Hampden Park - has remained partially in tact since Third Lanark went bust in 1967)

5. Kings Park, Durban. A fantastically intimidating venue, with the upper tier towering over the pitch.

6. Ibrox, Glasgow. one of the few places that can lay claim to having had 2 great stadiums on its site. The first a terraced bowl that once held over 120,000 people, the second the one that stands on the site today (although the main stand is the same, the other 3 sides have been completly rebuilt in recent years) The Main stand alone is enough to warrant inclusion in my book - which is just aswell because the Copland, Bromaloan and Govan stands are nothing special. The Main stand facade is as good as they come - and despite the renovations over the years has kept its apperance throughout (and, I feel atleast, the club deck and the new roof only add to that appearance). they dont make stands like this anymore. The atmosphere inside on matchday can be quite good aswell

7. Stade Marcel Michelin, Clermont Ferrand. Another great wee ground - a fantastic atmosphere when packed with ASM fans.

8. Newlands, Cape Town. Not the biggest stadium, but absolutly oozes character

9. Westfalenstadion, Dortmund. The sudtribune is a fantastic sight when full

10. Lansdowne Road, Dublin. The old one. A fantastic ground, with a great history and bags of character. It always amazed me that, even 4 years ago, in one of the biggest international sporting tounaments, you could still have a ground with a traditional-style clubhouse in the corner. Will always regret I never got round to going over there to support Scotland. (the new ground looks good, but its not got the same unique identity of the old one)
lwa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #1866
Tompson

Likes (Received): 18

DONBASS ARENA

Tompson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #1867
adamj_008

AAMI Park (30,050), Melbourne with the new LED light show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdsie0Wb1ys
adamj_008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 02:42 AM   #1868
Gondolier

What is the Greatest Stadium in the World?

Ha! I think in terms of looks and history, it's got to be the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Discuss!!
Gondolier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #1869
HoldenV8

Likes (Received): 25

Here we go again. LA Coliseum, Nou Camp, Wembley, MCG, Azteca, Berlin Olympic Stadium. You could name any number of stadiums, and I suspect that will happen. I'm just wondering how long it will take for some people to base a stadium's greatness solely on it's Olympic history or FIFA World Cup history. Don't get me wrong but that's how these type of threads usually go around here.

Now, after that, my personal opinion is probably a biased one. I'm Australian and I'm choosing the Melbourne Cricket Ground, though the history of the Wembley name is hard to overlook, as is the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Now, I say the MCG for various reasons. It opened in 1854, currently holds 100,018 people, hosted the 1956 Summer Olympic Games and 2006 Commonwealth Games. It's hosted all but 2 (1945 & 1991) of the VFL/AFL Grand Finals with a record crowd of 121,696 for the 1970 VFL Grand Final. It holds the record single day crowd for a cricket test (Aust vs West Indies, 90,800, Feb 11, 1961). It has hosted FIFA World Cup qualifying matches, Bledisoe Cup & Tri-Nations Rugby, Pope visits, various concerts, Rugby League State of Origin, just to name a few events. The MCG has history and is a great stadium, IMO of course.
HoldenV8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 05:39 AM   #1870
Phriggin' Ogre
American't

Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Likes (Received): 2305

The Flavian Amphitheatre.
Old September 20th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #1871
Askario
Ultimate Aero

Likes (Received): 13907

May Day Stadium with capacity 150.000 for today.
Maracana for history (1950) 190.000.
Askario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #1872
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

MCG/Wembely/LA Coliseum
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #1873
plasticterminator

Likes (Received): 16

WEMBLEY, no comparison.
plasticterminator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #1874
kuarif

Likes (Received): 5

GELORA BUNG KARNO JAKARTA, INDONESIA

image hosted on flickr
kuarif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:44 AM   #1875
Anubis2051
Captian Clutch

Likes (Received): 67

New Yankee Stadium, Bronx, NY (52,325)

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
Anubis2051 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:02 AM   #1876
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

AAMI Park - Melbourne, Australia (30,050)

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9702653...n/photostream/
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/c1_sun/...n/photostream/
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phase-o...n/photostream/

Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 11:49 PM   #1877
Phriggin' Ogre
American't

Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Likes (Received): 2305

Wow, the Donbass Arena looks great.
Old October 15th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #1878
Tompson

DONBASS ARENA

Old October 16th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #1879
Scba

Likes (Received): 1420

I'm pleasantly surprised by the grassy areas around it - almost all pre-construction renders have stadiums among rolling lots of grass but end up paving it over or have it fill up with weeds. Looks nice.
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #1880
Tompson

Tags
glass