daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do You like stadiums
Yes 154 96.86%
No 5 3.14%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 1st, 2011, 07:48 PM   #1901
hknmtl

Likes (Received): 2

if i think with my heart

best-Ali Sami Yen(it will be demolished in 2 months)

new Ali Sami Yen, as you know Türk Telekom Arena.

only beauty doesn't means without memories.
hknmtl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2011, 11:51 PM   #1902
jackass94

Likes (Received): 19254

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
The roofs are retractable...
yes, but the construction is still looks too heavy

just my opinion
jackass94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 12:49 AM   #1903
RaiderATO

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackass94 View Post
I hate those american arenas, roof should cover only seats. When it covers everything it brakes the atmosphere
There shouldn't be a roof at all, but some geographies, climates, etc. in the US "require" one. Especially if they want to use the stadium as convention space for the other 300+ days of the year that it isn't hosting a sporting event.
RaiderATO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 02:11 AM   #1904
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1924

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderATO View Post
There shouldn't be a roof at all, but some geographies, climates, etc. in the US "require" one. Especially if they want to use the stadium as convention space for the other 300+ days of the year that it isn't hosting a sporting event.
I think a domed roof gives the building an "indoors" feeling, which just doesn't feel right for a stadium somehow. There are plenty are large roofed stadiums that don't have that look, and yet still cover all the seats. You just don't get that impression of that rectangle of sky being hopelessly way above your head with a non-domed roof.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 02:35 AM   #1905
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10445

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackass94 View Post
I hate those american arenas, roof should cover only seats. When it covers everything it brakes the atmosphere
As RaiderATO pionted out some of the extreme climates in the US require a domed stadium.

Domed stadiums are very loud if that's what you mean.. Listen to the noise in the New Oreans Superdome on 10.03.2010..Who Dat?? Who Dat??

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Chinese Daily Photos!!!..| SSC
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:15 AM   #1906
jackass94

Likes (Received): 19254

That's looks like a huge gymnasium) where's the sky? Maybe someone likes it but not me.
jackass94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:44 AM   #1907
Welshlad
Socialogically Diseased

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post
As RaiderATO pionted out some of the extreme climates in the US require a domed stadium.

Domed stadiums are very loud if that's what you mean.. Listen to the noise in the New Oreans Superdome on 10.03.2010..Who Dat?? Who Dat??

That is the most god awful noise I have ever heard, its like a room full of people just making noise for the hell of it, not even saying anything!
Welshlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 02:54 PM   #1908
bd popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshlad View Post
That is the most god awful noise I have ever heard, its like a room full of people just making noise for the hell of it, not even saying anything!
That's a lovely statement. I'm sure the New Orleans Staints appreciate that.

As you may or may not know our sports culture in the US is quite different than the rest of the World. Personally I'd never say anything negative about about how countries outside of the USA root on their teams.

By the way college sports is where you will hear singing & chanting in the USA. Not so much in the NFL..well except for this..

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Old January 3rd, 2011, 08:46 PM   #1909
vadin

Likes (Received): 26

The noise is an iintegral part of football

Quote:
The noise is not just for the hell of it. In football, the home crowd tries to make as much noise as possible when the visiting team has the ball. This makes it harder for the offense to hear the signals from the Quarterback. In loud stadiums like the one shown above, this makes it impossible for the offense to hear any verbal communication, which leads to mistakes and penalties, and also makes it extremely difficult to change the play at the line of scrimmage. This is one of the reasons why it is much more difficult to win a game if you are the visiting team. Football teams even practice for this by blasting loud music during their practice sessions to simulate the crowd noise.
vadin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:59 AM   #1910
Welshlad
Socialogically Diseased

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadin View Post
The noise is not just for the hell of it. In football, the home crowd tries to make as much noise as possible when the visiting team has the ball. This makes it harder for the offense to hear the signals from the Quarterback. In loud stadiums like the one shown above, this makes it impossible for the offense to hear any verbal communication, which leads to mistakes and penalties, and also makes it extremely difficult to change the play at the line of scrimmage. This is one of the reasons why it is much more difficult to win a game if you are the visiting team. Football teams even practice for this by blasting loud music during their practice sessions to simulate the crowd noise.
seems to be a bit of bad sportsmanship, but point taken. Still is a bit of a racket though
Welshlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #1911
bd popeye

Quote:
seems to be a bit of bad sportsmanship, but point taken. Still is a bit of a racket though
That's how we roll in the USA.

I remember the first and only time I took my ex-wife to a sporting event.. she said it was too loud for her..And it was a baseball game!

I yam what I yam!

US Navy Photo Gallery

Old January 4th, 2011, 01:50 AM   #1912
vadin

Likes (Received): 26

Anything goes in US sports

Quote:
In American sports(Football, Basketball and Baseball), everything is fair game. The crowd can do or say pretty much anything it wants. Check out the video below about Duke basketball fans.

Last edited by vadin; January 4th, 2011 at 02:11 AM.
vadin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 01:54 AM   #1913
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1924

Quote:

I remember the first and only time I took my ex-wife to a sporting event.. she said it was too loud for her..And it was a baseball game!
Where was that? I've been to baseball a few times and it was very sedate.

Actually the only time it was noisy was at a game in Seattle. Nothing to do with the game stirred them, but they had cartoon speedboat races on the scoreboard between innings, and the majority of the crowd were screaming their heads off for their boat to win.

It was a particularly dull game, it has to be said.

As for unsporting, it's hard to think of too many crowds around the world that are sporting for team sports. I remember a game a few years back when my team (Reading) were playing Bournemouth on the last day of the season. Bournemouth were winning 3-1 at half time, and were really on a roll. If they won, and Wigan (just above them) didn't win, then they were in the play-offs and would play us again - and would probably beat us in the form they were in.

If Wigan won though, they were out of the play-offs, and in the second half we took great delight in signing about how Wigan were winning 2-0, and they'd blown it. You could see their heads drop and we came back to draw 3-3, costing them their play-off spot.

It was a complete lie. The Wigan match finished 0-0

Last edited by Rev Stickleback; January 4th, 2011 at 02:00 AM.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 02:09 AM   #1914
Marckymarc
Namasté

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oD5l...eature=related
Marckymarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 02:18 AM   #1915
miguelon

Likes (Received): 304

Quote:

Baseball can get really loud but only on playoff games, specially if the crowd gets their cheering towels.
miguelon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:05 AM   #1916
Anubis2051
Captian Clutch

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post

Actually the only time it was noisy was at a game in Seattle. Nothing to do with the game stirred them, but they had cartoon speedboat races on the scoreboard between innings, and the majority of the crowd were screaming their heads off for their boat to win.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ191gUnCvM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZra9SebNAg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpGRym901uk

The last one was at 2 in the morning too if I remember correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelon View Post
Baseball can get really loud but only on playoff games, specially if the crowd gets their cheering towels.
Don't get me started on those. Stupidest idea ever after the wave.
Anubis2051 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 04:45 AM   #1917
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:

I hope you divorced her on the spot for that
JYDA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 04:53 AM   #1918
koolio

Likes (Received): 1558

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
I hope you divorced her on the spot for that
I hope you know for certain that they got divorced. Otherwise you would feel awfully silly if it turns out that she passed away due to a terminal illness
koolio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 06:09 AM   #1919
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
As pointed out, noise in American football has an effect on the game. By the same token of making communication nearly impossible for the opposition, fans also need to know when to make noise when their own team has the ball. That's why you don't see songs during game play. You simply need more noise while the visitors are on offense and you need to be able to stop while your own team is calling signals. You'll even see the home team signal to mute the noise a bit some times. Its just different. Some teams still have chants or songs in between relevant times. Look up Rocky Top or Saw Varsity's Horns off. They simply have their time and place.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #1920
Marckymarc
Namasté

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
I hope you know for certain that they got divorced. Otherwise you would feel awfully silly if it turns out that she passed away due to a terminal illness
Since when do you refer to a dead spouse as an "ex-wife"?
Marckymarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass