daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 14th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #1
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3761

Warsaw - Srodmiescie, the tall and modern city center

Warsaw - Srodmiescie, the tall and modern city center

In June 2008 I went on a trip with a friend to Warsaw, Kraków in Poland and Budapest in Hungary, lasting for just one week.
We flew to Warsaw from Copenhagen and traveled by train to Kraków and took the night train to Budapest, where we flew back to Copenhagen and took a train to Malmö. Even if we stayed for a very short time in each city, we managed to see a lot and take a lot of pictures just because we walked intense and with few stops.
The best of my photos will be shown on my website together with facts, history and stories about my trip, that I will post links to from the forum. I think all these 3 cities are amazing and now among my favorites in the whole Europe!

This trip is about Srodmiescie, the tall and modern city center.

Sródmiescie is the name of the inner city/downtown area. The absolute city center, where most of all the modern skyscrapers are, is sometimes called Centrum. Brand new glass towers hosting international companies, 5 star hotels, glamorous shopping center are standing next to worn grey highrises built under the Soviet communist regime. There are some really large and trafficated avenues in Sródmiescie, Marszalkowska is perhaps the most busy of them. Most buildings are centered around the Palace of Culture and Science from 1955, and since then there have been a tradition of building tall in the city center. However, it was not until the late 1990s that Warsaw really became a city full of skyscrapers, designed by famous architects. In contrast to the quarters around "The Palace" , the beautiful east part of Sródmiescie, around the university, is filled with historical pedestrian streets and much smaller and older buildings.

ATTENTION! Please note that I really appreciate if you just comment about the topic in the specific link that is posted, because I will post one separate thread about each part since there are many large photos. Thanks! Also consider: 56k warning! :O

Click on the link below to see the rest of the photos:

http://www.worldtravelimages.net/Warsaw_Centrum.html

Enjoy!

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #2
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244241

I had pics of Warsaw before 20 years! The skyline was only the clock tower!
...and today the skyline is amazing: Tall and Modern indeed! Warsaw skyline is really great I like it a lot
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 05:58 AM   #3
Franky

Likes (Received): 9

Definitely one of Europe's tallest cities.
Franky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #4
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12273

PLEASE post your own photos in URBAN SHOWCASE, not Cityscapes. It is difficult to imagine people have not noticed this rule that has been in effect all year, but now that you know, please post all future self taken pictures in the correct spot. If people have been warned and continue to post more threads here because they prefer this section, the threads will be deleted, which is a waste of everyone's time and energy. Thank you