daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #1
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2181

Yellow Hard Shoulders and 'New World' signage on Motorways in Europe?

Something ive been wondering about. Is Ireland the only country to use yellow hard shoulders and 'New World' (American yellow diamond style signage) in Europe?

Example - Yellow Hard Shoulder

Yellow Diamond

Only example I can find but they are the standard signage over here for pretty much everything - like the white and red UK signs.

Anyway ive never come across either on the Continent and I know the UK is white hard shoulder. Same where ive been on the continent. Never seen yellow h/s or yellow standard signage.
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #2
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Our yellow line is in the middle for traffic flow separation. I think it's an interesting idea. I'm not sure how roads work without the yellow center line if they do use lines.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 06:01 AM   #3
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Israel and South Africa also use a yellow line on the hard shoulder (I know they're not in Europe, but still). Actually, in Israel it is used to indicate the outer edges of the road whether there is a hard shoulder or not. It is not used only when there is a curb. It works quite well, since you know that a yellow line is one you should never cross (you may end up in a ditch). It's quite useful on 2-lane roads at night, where the yellow lines clearly delineate the "safe zone".

However, I like our North American system much better, since sometimes it may be somewhat confusing to know whether a white line separates flow in the same direction or different directions (usually it is not a problem, but I have seen some situations where ambiguity exists, especially for drivers who are inexperienced with the system). Since most of the time a white line is broken in North America (you rarely have a solid white line separating traffic flowing in the same direction - usually in tunnels and bridges or some dangerous sections of highway), a solid white line usually unambiguously identifies the outer edges of the road and works just as well as the yellow one, without the ambiguity which exists at the centre. So while all systems generally work well, I do think that this is one thing North America got right.
Old July 15th, 2008, 08:36 AM   #4
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I'm not sure how roads work without the yellow center line if they do use lines.
Roads work as they were painted with yellow, just they are in different color. Or did you mean something else? Actually, does it matter?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #5
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Our yellow line is in the middle for traffic flow separation. I think it's an interesting idea. I'm not sure how roads work without the yellow center line if they do use lines.
Since in Europe all marking is white, the centre line is usually of different width and has different broken line intervals. For instance, in Russia and Ukraine a solid white line is usually used on 2x1 roads to separate opposite traffic and to prohibit overtaking. A broken white line on 2x1 roads also separates opposite traffic but allows overtaking in both directions. A white solid line and a broken line next to it has exactly the same meaning as the yellow setting in New World. It's a bit ambiguous (especially for a New World visitor), but I have never heard of an accident due to white marking confusion. For the record, I also prefer yellow colour for centre lines.

Have you actually driven in Italy or used public transport?
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #6
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Actually I wonder, how you people drive if you make decisions on road depending on full line marking colors.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #7
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Australia only uses white lines, except in areas which see regular snowfalls, and there is sometimes a problem of dashed white lines which can look identical when they're separating opposing traffic or lanes in a dual carriageway.

The fact that there is often a huge distance or thick tree cover between carriageways doesn't help either.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #8
The Knowledgeable
Obeznany

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Israel and South Africa also use a yellow line on the hard shoulder (I know they're not in Europe, but still). Actually, in Israel it is used to indicate the outer edges of the road whether there is a hard shoulder or not. It is not used only when there is a curb. It works quite well, since you know that a yellow line is one you should never cross (you may end up in a ditch). It's quite useful on 2-lane roads at night, where the yellow lines clearly delineate the "safe zone".
I was also surprised at why we have a unique road marking system. It stems from the Irish road marking, which Israel and South Africa adopted during colonial/mandate times. By the way, I have seen in Europe yellow outer edges but I think it has something to do with parking laws.
Old July 15th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #9
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11115

Shoulders were delimited by yellow lines in Italy since the begginning of '90s, then they changed with white lines (I think because they now use yellow lines for bus lanes, what it's quite common in many countries in Europe...)
Old July 15th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #10
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

Yellow markings are temporary markings in the Netherlands, in case of roadworks with changed roadway situations.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #11
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11115

Some pics from early '80s of Italian highways with yellow lines

Old July 15th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #12
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8773

In the UK there are single yellow lines and double yellow lines at the edge of roads to denote the ability to park. Double yellow lines mean absolutely no parking or stopping I believe (I can't remember my highway code )
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #13
bgplayer19

Likes (Received): 0

In Bulgaria we also use the yellow hard shoulders but I haven't seen the diamond shaped signs
bgplayer19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #14
Super Tim
virtual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Yellow markings are temporary markings in the Netherlands, in case of roadworks with changed roadway situations.
The same in Italy, combined with vertical roadsigns with yellow background.

- If our Gods and our hopes are nothing but scientific phenomena, then let us admit it must be said that our love is... scientific as well.
[Auguste Villiers de l'Isle-Adam, L'Ève Future (Tomorrow's Eve), 1886]
Super Tim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #15
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI View Post
Shoulders were delimited by yellow lines in Italy since the begginning of '90s, then they changed with white lines (I think because they now use yellow lines for bus lanes, what it's quite common in many countries in Europe...)
Interesting, I did not know that. BTW In Norway we use the American system with road markings, yellow line for separating traffic directions (Except on motorways wich are all white). Our road signs on the other hand is pure European with red and white triangels. Exception here is temporary signs wich are yellow.
Old July 15th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #16
X236K

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
The same in Czech, sometimes the original white is repainted by black temporarily
X236K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #17
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Czechoslovakia had them on D1 in 70s I think
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #18
X236K

Likes (Received): 46

Hard to say. I was born in 1983

edit: there's a lot of old pictures in this book and I don't see any yellow lines.
X236K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #19
RoadUser

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
In Israel, roadworks are marked with orange or red markings. The orange is more common, and I have no idea why there should be more than one option. This is a pic from the Israel highways thread, apparently it's Road 6 where the new Road 431 is being built:

Last edited by RoadUser; July 15th, 2008 at 05:10 PM.
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #20
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadUser View Post
In Israel, roadworks are marked with orange or red markings. The orange is more common, and I have no idea why there should be more than one option. This is a pic from the Israel highways thread, apperarently it's Road 6 where the new Road 431 is being built:

That's interesting. I always thought it'd be cool in the UK to have a yellow line in the centre and a red line for the hard shoulder, leaving lane lanes white, just like the colour code of our cats eyes.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote