daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 17th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #41
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
It seems Isreal and Ireland's road markings are exactly the same. They also have the yellow dotted hard shoulder for dual carriageways. We also use a yellow border on the sides of normal country roads.
Yes, except that I don't think Israel uses a dotted yellow line for the hard shoulder, I've never seen that. Usually the line is solid, even when there are hard shoulders. The only exception is when yellow lines are also used in Israel to mark public transportation/HOV lanes. In this case they appear as double (i.e. two side-by-side) dashed yellow lines.

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #42
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Yes, except that I don't think Israel uses a dotted yellow line for the hard shoulder, I've never seen that. Usually the line is solid, even when there are hard shoulders. The only exception is when yellow lines are also used in Israel to mark public transportation/HOV lanes. In this case they appear as double (i.e. two side-by-side) dashed yellow lines.
Here is the dual carriageway dotted yellow shoulder in Ireland.

Thought I saw a similar pic of a similar road in Isreal. Might have been South Africa though!
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #43
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Is it rightmost lane in Ireland "haunted" even for trucks?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #44
TheCat

Interesting question. In Ontario trucks often stick to the middle lane because of the shape of many of the older overpasses. They are arched and have the highest clearance in the middle. Some highways (like Highway 400) actually have signs warning trucks to stick to the middle lane. I wonder if Ireland is similar.
Old July 17th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #45
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

I doubt. Motorways are fairly new in Ireland, and there is also Europe-wide clearance for all vehicles. Usually overpasses on motorways are at least 4,5 m high. Normal trailers are at most 4 m high (some maybe 4,2 m). Such exceptions as you mention, could be possible only on very old motorways, which (as I know) are not on Ireland.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #46
ardmacha

Likes (Received): 1

The Irish road above is probably the N7. This road has bad signposting which gives the impression that the left lane should be used for exit only, which aggravates this problem. These signs will probably be replaced with the proper ones.
ardmacha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #47
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Pakistan has yellow lines for the shoulder. I'm not sure if India does or not.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #48
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardmacha View Post
The Irish road above is probably the N7. This road has bad signposting which gives the impression that the left lane should be used for exit only, which aggravates this problem. These signs will probably be replaced with the proper ones.

Its actually the N2 - approaching the M50 so maybe they are just preparing to exit
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #49
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Thought I saw a similar pic of a similar road in Isreal. Might have been South Africa though!
No, not us. We have solid yellow lines on the left edges of our roads, not dashed ones.

The only time you'll see a dashed yellow line is to demarcate a lane reserved for a specific type of vehicle, such as in this render of the N3 coming into Durban (this is a render, but the upgrades to the real thing which were completed not too long ago look almost identical to this).

(Personally, I think that putting the reserved bus/taxi lane on the right and not on the left wasn't a good move, but that's a discussion for another thread.)
Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 12:52 AM   #50
Bartolo

I'm surprised that no one from Ontario has posted this yet. But the centre line has no barring on whether it is legal or illegal to pass. A broken centre line means it is safe to pass. Solid+broken on one side means safe to pass from the direction that has the broken line. Single solid means passing not advised and double yellow meaning passing is not advised more so. The only time you can not pass is if their is a sign that states "no passing allowed".
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 04:28 AM   #51
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

And Michigan has these brilliant signs.

go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #52
Bartolo

now thats awesome, shows how intelligent people really are
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #53
The Knowledgeable
Obeznany

Quote:
It seems Isreal and Ireland's road markings are exactly the same. They also have the yellow dotted hard shoulder for dual carriageways.
Like the Cat said, Israel never uses dotted hard shoulders, dual carriageways or not.

Old July 18th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #54
Onur
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

In Turkish Highways, Yes.

Also they use yellow traffic signs for temporary. They were also using for touristic places' information sign but they replaced with brown ones.

Some borderlines on intersections are painting on yellow-white or yellow-black but dunno what the heck does that means?

Onur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #55
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
I'm surprised that no one from Ontario has posted this yet. But the centre line has no barring on whether it is legal or illegal to pass. A broken centre line means it is safe to pass. Solid+broken on one side means safe to pass from the direction that has the broken line. Single solid means passing not advised and double yellow meaning passing is not advised more so. The only time you can not pass is if their is a sign that states "no passing allowed".
Yeah I heard about that, and it is pretty stupid in my opinion, since where there is a solid line it is usually very dangerous to pass anyway. But I guess a person who moves into oncoming traffic to pass should not be driving in any case.
Old July 18th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #56
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

I'm sure painted kerbs are to do with parking/waiting/stopping in most countries.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 08:31 AM   #57
TheCat

Yeah, although sometimes they are just used for emphasis. In Israel:
red/white = no parking (except for overnight in some places)
red/yellow = no stopping (usually at bus stops)
blue/white = paid parking only
black/white = for emphasis; this has no legal restrictions, and is just used to improve the visibility of curbs at intersections and along some roads

black/yellow (and sometimes white/yellow) is not used in Israel, although I think it's used in many other Middle Eastern countries and also in some countries in Asia, like India. I believe it is used for emphasis there, like black/white in Israel.
Old July 19th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #58
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Anyone knows what is the meaning of the yellow lines on Turkish roads? Does it "warn" of roadworks perhaps?
Old July 19th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #59
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus_ View Post
In France, yellow is generally used for permanent marking or for prohibited parking or delivery area
Do you mean temporary marking?
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #60
Onur
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsko View Post
Anyone knows what is the meaning of the yellow lines on Turkish roads? Does it "warn" of roadworks perhaps?
No. I think it's just for make roads cool.
Onur no está en línea   Reply With Quote