daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > Victoria

Old September 7th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #301
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 74

$10 mill wont go that far for all that though.

Good to see the investment though.

Sponsored Links

Old September 7th, 2011, 07:17 AM   #302
SamTheMan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
$10 mill wont go that far for all that though.

Good to see the investment though.
Have updated the post. It's actually $20m in total, $10m for Skilled Stadium lighting and other enhancements and $10m for new library.
SamTheMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #303
SamTheMan

Concept drawing of the lighting with this article-

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/geelon...3/default.aspx
Old September 8th, 2011, 02:44 AM   #304
SamTheMan

Artists impression of completed stage 3 with lighting.

Pretty impressive.

Thanks to the Australian newspaper-

Old September 8th, 2011, 03:48 AM   #305
SamTheMan

Article from the front page of todays local rag-

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/...7871_news.html

Including artists impression of the new "Heritage Centre" and library.

Old September 8th, 2011, 06:15 AM   #306
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 74

That looks promising.

As for the stadium, I prefered the lighting towers in the WC bid design, but its still a good outcome.
Old September 8th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #307
Aussie Steve

Likes (Received): 68

The new Geelong Heritage Centre and Library is needed and will be a great addition to this cultural precinct.
Aussie Steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #308
Shieldsy

how sexy does that stadium render look?
Shieldsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #309
SamTheMan

I've just come across these on the Geelong Football Club website- http://www.geelongcats.com.au/TheClu...1/Default.aspx

WOW!

Last edited by SamTheMan; September 10th, 2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old September 11th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #310
melburn21
flame on.

Likes (Received): 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTheMan View Post

lol @ Geelong fans in corporate clothing.
Old October 9th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #311
Shieldsy

Hopefully when the kardinia park redevelopment
is finished it makes it the best stadium in non-metro aus
although being a diehard Geelong fan I already think it's the best stadium in Australia
and any redevelopment is just icing on the cake, also anything new going on in Geelong?
I've just recently finished my work experience with COGG and I designed a model for a convention centre in Eastern park and a tourist info booth on moorbool street between the old customs house and sailor's rest restaurant. Anything new would be appreciated
Old November 22nd, 2011, 05:45 AM   #312
SamTheMan

Whoops!

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/...2785_news.html

Guess it'll never look the way it was intended too now nor blend in with the Premiership Stand.

Just another stuff up to send Geelong back to sleepy hollow......
Old November 25th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #313
Shieldsy

gotta love optimists like yourself mate, anyway

Just found this in the Addy,
Big ticket developments help CBD out of lull

GEELONG has thrown off the shackles of the global financial crisis with several major developments worth millions of dollars starting up in the region.

After a lull of 12 months, central Geelong's skyline will again be dotted with cranes as apartment developments look certain to breathe life into the CBD.

A major development of 48 apartments on the waterfront at the rear of Harding Park is well and truly out of the ground, while long-awaited apartment developments in McLarty Place and Gheringhap St have started.

St John of God Hospital is also set for the next stage of its redevelopment on the former Geelong Hotel site, while down the other side of the hill a pared-back southern grandstand project will soon be under way at Simonds Stadium.

Geelong Mayor Cr John Mitchell said yesterday that the region had weathered the global financial crisis well and was now emerging with a welter of activity.

"We're seeing the fruits of a lot of hard work and it will be good to see cranes on the skyline again," he said.

"The global financial crisis certainly did slow some opportunities down but we've come through it fairly strongly."

Cr Mitchell said the apartment developments were something the city had been pushing for some time to revitalise the city.

"That's always been part of our strategy and it will be good to see more people living in the city area," he said.

"Inner city living is a trend worldwide."

Apart from the larger apartment developments, there are some smaller developments in York St and Little Ryrie St.

Construction union organiser Brendan Murphy said next year was looking healthier on the jobs front.

"I believe the Black Rock treatment plant is about to start or will start early in the new year," he said.

"Another company is doing the Corio TAFE training centre at the moment and they've got a stage out at Deakin.

"Then we've got the Geelong Hospital coming up about the middle of the year. I notice at St John of God Hospital there were people putting up perimeter scaffolding this morning I don't know if they are just putting a price in or they've got the job, but it can't be far off."

The Geelong Hospital development is a $26 million integrated cancer care service.

A Deakin University spokesman said work was currently under way with a regional health centre, which was part of the medical school development. Contractors were asked on the weekend to quote for the $60 million Little Creatures brewery at the former Valley Mill in Swanston St.

I'll try to get a few pictures of whats going on around Geelong, i'm eager to see these
"Cranes dotting the skyline"
Old November 25th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #314
Grampians

Likes (Received): 34

[QUOTE=SamTheMan;83658871]I've just come across these on the Geelong Football Club website- http://www.geelongcats.com.au/TheClu...1/Default.aspx

QUOTE]

hmm...are they deliberately going for a retro/circa 1962 look?
Grampians no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 12:20 AM   #315
tower_dan

Likes (Received): 114

crane is up for the 8 level apartment building across from teh waterfront campus, havent seen it since Jan 18 so more work woudl have gone on by now!
tower_dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 02:02 AM   #316
Modernaux
Conjecturer

Likes (Received): 42

Demo completed of stadium south in the last fortnight.

Modernaux no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:11 PM   #317
Shieldsy

Cats set to host night games next year

GEELONG is in the running to host a Friday night game as early as next year, Cats chief executive Brian Cook says.

Cook believes Simonds Stadium's new light system as part of the Doug Wade Stand redevelopment will aid the club in its night football ambition.

While it is likely the Cats will play night football on a Saturday, Cook said there was a chance the club would be given a Friday night blockbuster.

"I think we'll certainly see some night games, but I think probably more Saturday night games early on, to be honest," Cook said.

"Maybe one or two might be on a Friday night, but we'll just have to wait and see.

"At the moment, of the nine start times for AFL footy, we can only fit into two: Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

"That really reduces the flexibility of the AFL to fixture games down here (in Geelong).

"When we have lights, we can start at any one of the nine times, and so I think our fixture will be played all over the place."

The new stand and lights are due to be ready by round six of the 2013 season.

The Cats will play seven games at home in 2013, before that is increased to eight in 2014.

Cook's Friday night football vision comes after he told the Geelong Cats website he has no ambition to leave the football club.

"I have no plans of moving out of Geelong," Cook told Geelongcats.com.au.

"I love the club, it's been very good to me, very kind to me and I think I have given a fair bit back to the club as well.

"But to be honest I have no real ambition to do anything else and so I am very, very, happy with where I am."

After joining Geelong in 1999 with the club on the brink of extinction, Cook along with former president Frank Costa rebuilt the Cats to become one of the league's powerhouses on and off the field. Geelong secured Cook until at least the end of 2014 in July last year.

In 2008, he turned down an offer to become the Gold Coast Suns' first chief executive, and later admitted he was agonisingly close to accepting the job before having a change of heart to stay at Geelong.

Cook admitted the Cats would struggle to make a profit this year ending a run of 12 positive returns due to the Doug Wade stand rebuild.

"This year we are looking at a best of break even. Which is a little sad because we have had 12 profits in a row," he said.

"But such is life. We just have to make the extra dollars in the years to come."
Old March 29th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #318
L2
Needs an avatar

Likes (Received): 98

Has anybody else noticed how much Geebong's waterfront absolutely stinks in a literal sense? The world's most vile stench of seaweed can be smelt if you walk a few minutes west/north of Cunningham Pier. Absolutely vile.

No wonder there's no houses let alone apartments capatalising on the waterfront around there.

As to the Geebong CBD, how many more fat chicks pushing prams can you get at Westfield? But then again it's still better than the Corio Shopping Centre. And is there anything all but retail there? Even Bendigo has more commercial offices with the bankletc

And of course on the train trip back some typical Geebong scum delayed the train for 20 minutes at Lara while the cops were called to remove them from the service. Not surprisingly they looked like they lived in a caravan park out the back of Norlane
Old March 29th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #319
tower_dan

Likes (Received): 114

Sorry... what does that have to do with developments in Geelong???

I agree with the chicks with prams thing but it’s no more or less different to Fountain Gate and the like shopping centres and suburban trains are certainly not immune to deros causing trouble. There are at least 5 apartment’s buildings on the waterfront I can remember from uni and one under construction right now...

You should just rip on something for the sake of it.

and cue un necessary and rude retaliation!
tower_dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #320
The Collector

Likes (Received): 29

Hey tower_dan, just ignore the troll.

http://www.thecollectormm.com.au/

I collect, therefore I am.
The Collector no está en línea   Reply With Quote