daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 18th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #1
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

Pope Benedict in Sydney

I am a volunteer for World Youth Day being held here in Sydney, and yesterday (Thursday) I had the chance to work at one entrance checking passes and sitting in a 2 metre high chair making announcements for people to show their passes.

You arent supposed to take photos on the job but with every volunteer bringing a camera, it just gets too good, even our leaders dont care.

Afterwards, I had my appointment with a VIP. Even for non catholics like myself (I practice in another Christian church), it was very moving.

Where's Benedict???

I took my lunchbreak downtown

And the big stuff

Sorry about it being blurry. The popemobile was too fast.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #2
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4268

Great pictures. I'm Catholic, so the Pope means a lot to me. I saw him (John Paul II, at least) in Baltimore and New York City in the mid-1990s, my sister went to World Youth Day a couple years ago in Germany, and my family saw him in Washington this past March.

I didn't know about World Youth Day until they had a write-up about it in the newspaper earlier this week. I was hoping that someone would have pictures from down there. Thanks.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 09:14 AM   #3
Peshu

Likes (Received): 1

What a great occasion . So many people on the street without a viloent incident . Truly amazing . Pity i can't get there .
Peshu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Fabian

No arrests were made amongst the 500 000 that lined the streets to see him. Impressive. The police were very good as well.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old July 20th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #5
Fabian

From todays Papal mass at Randwick Racecourse. 400 000 are estimated to have attended the mass, the biggest ever religious service in Australia.

Flags flew high for Madrid (2011 host)

And of course

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:08 AM   #6
nedolessej197
hello

Likes (Received): 28

why is the pope in a strange-looking car? is it for protection?
nedolessej197 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:16 AM   #7
Wind Shear
Missed Opportunities

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedolessej197 View Post
why is the pope in a strange-looking car? is it for protection?
It is called popemobile (sometimes spelled as pope mobile). It was built after Pope John Paul II was shot by a Turkish assassin.

Jaime Gris, Coder | DeviantArt | Reddit
Wind Shear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:26 AM   #8
nedolessej197
hello

Likes (Received): 28

so, it's for his protection, yes? ok. thank you
nedolessej197 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:54 PM   #9
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59279

We are Pope!

I'm not religious at all, but it's great to see such an amount of people celebrating together - peacefully!

Machet Ratze!

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 05:28 PM   #10
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

How ridiculous is that car. Sydney looks like a mix of Boston and Seattle.

I can respect that people are religous even though I am not. I went to Catholic school and that made me a non-believer.
Churches are a business.

""The question is asked, Where is Heaven located? I can only say that somewhere in the spacious and infinite arena above this world is a place where God is and this is Heaven. The Bible speaks of 'coming up into heaven' (Rev 4:1) and of Christ being 'taken up from you into heaven' (Acts 1:11). From these Bible verses we know that Heaven is in an upward direction and not on the surface of this earth. It is above and outside of this earth, away in space.

"But that causes another question to arise, Which way is up? Since our universe is always spinning the direction of up is changing. The direction and location of Heaven is plainly given in the words of Isaiah concerning the fall of Lucifer. Listen to the boastful words of Lucifer as recorded in Isaiah 14: 'I will ascend into heaven' (v 13). Heaven is in an upward direction. 'I will exalt my throne above the stars of God' (v13). Heaven is beyond the other planets and above the stars. 'I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north' (v 14), or as the RSV renders it 'in the far north.' Heaven is in the northern area of the sky.

"Another very interesting portion of the Bible is Psalm 75 where we read these words: 'When I shall receive the congregation I will judge uprightly...For promotion cometh neither from the east, nor from the west, nor from the south. But God is the judge' (75:2,6,7). Here we have the implication that the throne of God, where He judges the congregation is in the north since it is not in the east, the west, nor in the south as stated in verse six.

"And let us be quick to realize that north is in the same direction from every point on our earth. It is the same from Africa as it is in America. It is the same from England as it is in Europe. North is always up everywhere on this earth. And get this, astronomers having directed their telescopes to the northern area of the sky have discovered an empty space, where there are no stars. It is like a tunnel in the sky beyond which there seems to be another Milky Way. All of this Biblical and scientific evidence that Heaven is in the northern area of the sky reminds me of the words of Job who said: 'He stretcheth out the north over the empty place' (Job 26:7) and Ezekiel who declared regarding the glory of Jehovah: 'And I looked, and behold, a whirlwind came out of the north' (Eze 1:4).

"So there you have some of the facts regarding Heaven. It is a real place. It is in an upward direction. It is beyond the stars, the clouds, and other planets. It is located in the northern area of the sky. It is known as the 'Heaven of heavens.'"

Do you really find this believable? As beliveable as Heaven Bar-B-Q?

Last edited by philadweller; July 21st, 2008 at 05:36 PM.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 11:19 PM   #11
Dale

Likes (Received): 5511

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
How ridiculous is that car. Sydney looks like a mix of Boston and Seattle.

I can respect that people are religous even though I am not. I went to Catholic school and that made me a non-believer.
Churches are a business.

""The question is asked, Where is Heaven located? I can only say that somewhere in the spacious and infinite arena above this world is a place where God is and this is Heaven. The Bible speaks of 'coming up into heaven' (Rev 4:1) and of Christ being 'taken up from you into heaven' (Acts 1:11). From these Bible verses we know that Heaven is in an upward direction and not on the surface of this earth. It is above and outside of this earth, away in space.

"But that causes another question to arise, Which way is up? Since our universe is always spinning the direction of up is changing. The direction and location of Heaven is plainly given in the words of Isaiah concerning the fall of Lucifer. Listen to the boastful words of Lucifer as recorded in Isaiah 14: 'I will ascend into heaven' (v 13). Heaven is in an upward direction. 'I will exalt my throne above the stars of God' (v13). Heaven is beyond the other planets and above the stars. 'I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north' (v 14), or as the RSV renders it 'in the far north.' Heaven is in the northern area of the sky.

"Another very interesting portion of the Bible is Psalm 75 where we read these words: 'When I shall receive the congregation I will judge uprightly...For promotion cometh neither from the east, nor from the west, nor from the south. But God is the judge' (75:2,6,7). Here we have the implication that the throne of God, where He judges the congregation is in the north since it is not in the east, the west, nor in the south as stated in verse six.

"And let us be quick to realize that north is in the same direction from every point on our earth. It is the same from Africa as it is in America. It is the same from England as it is in Europe. North is always up everywhere on this earth. And get this, astronomers having directed their telescopes to the northern area of the sky have discovered an empty space, where there are no stars. It is like a tunnel in the sky beyond which there seems to be another Milky Way. All of this Biblical and scientific evidence that Heaven is in the northern area of the sky reminds me of the words of Job who said: 'He stretcheth out the north over the empty place' (Job 26:7) and Ezekiel who declared regarding the glory of Jehovah: 'And I looked, and behold, a whirlwind came out of the north' (Eze 1:4).

"So there you have some of the facts regarding Heaven. It is a real place. It is in an upward direction. It is beyond the stars, the clouds, and other planets. It is located in the northern area of the sky. It is known as the 'Heaven of heavens.'"

Do you really find this believable? As beliveable as Heaven Bar-B-Q?
You babble more than Charismatics I know.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:04 AM   #12
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

Dale that was not my quote...it was by a charismatic sweetheart.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:11 AM   #13
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
Dale that was not my quote...it was by a charismatic sweetheart.
Then I hope it doesn't offend you if we hold up your sweetheart to ridicule.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:45 AM   #14
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Likes (Received): 2

Sad to see people spend so much money for a figurehead...just TRY to make him/herself have a little inner peace. Money can use to buy so much food for poor...
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:50 AM   #15
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
Sad to see people spend so much money for a figurehead...just TRY to make him/herself have a little inner peace. Money can use to buy so much food for poor...
Inner Peace - why not get some yourself, instead of taking pains to grouse about the ways other people spend their affections, time and money ?
Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:02 AM   #16
alex3000
I'm not Chinese

Likes (Received): 57

I know, Sydney does look like Seattle, hehe. I liked the downtown pictures.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 05:29 PM   #17
UrbanImpact

Likes (Received): 1571

Very meaningful pictures!
UrbanImpact no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #18
Fabian

Stations of The Cross
Barangaroo, Sydney
July 18 2008

This also includes some scraper shots as well.

These are for Culwulla

Being the holder of a pilgrim media pass, I got access to the media box!!!

Prime position to view everything...

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #19
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

What a load of shit and a waste of taxpayer's money. Especially considering the pilgrims injected barely any money into the economy as they all stayed with 'host families' and took coaches everywhere.

Why was our country so happy and eager to let in a figure head of an organisation that refuses to entirely 'own up' to its massive abuse of power, the molestation of countless people, giving aid to Nazi war criminals in escaping Europe, discouraging the use of condoms and thereby contributing to HIV/AIDS ravaging Africa (and the list goes on....)?
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #20
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
What a load of shit and a waste of taxpayer's money. Especially considering the pilgrims injected barely any money into the economy as they all stayed with 'host families' and took coaches everywhere.

Why was our country so happy and eager to let in a figure head of an organisation that refuses to entirely 'own up' to its massive abuse of power, the molestation of countless people, giving aid to Nazi war criminals in escaping Europe, discouraging the use of condoms and thereby contributing to HIV/AIDS ravaging Africa (and the list goes on....)?
Meaning, I gather, that they could have purchased your favor if only they had dropped more coin ?

Well, we all have our priniciples.

Last edited by Dale; July 24th, 2008 at 07:37 PM.