daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Toronto > Transit & Infrastructure

Old May 5th, 2007, 05:37 AM   #121
Electrify

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapeTheSky View Post
It's really easy to do. What I did took a few minutes after you get a hang of it.
I have big plans for mine lol
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 5th, 2007, 05:56 AM   #122
ScrapeTheSky
Coruscanti Cognoscente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrify View Post
I have big plans for mine lol
Then start small and show us your progress! I'm itching to do another one now. Of what though, I'm not quite sure. Maybe a Mississauga LRT network.
ScrapeTheSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #123
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 6167

Interesting article in today's Star ( I think) about the TTC finally getting with the programme, and considering making those cool TTC badges and tshirts designed in Spacing magazine..

"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you". Oscar Wilde
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #124
phunky
BANNED

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Interesting article in today's Star ( I think) about the TTC finally getting with the programme, and considering making those cool TTC badges and tshirts designed in Spacing magazine..
Neat! I would so get an Islington Station one.
phunky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #125
TRZ
Welcome to the Rail World

Likes (Received): 1

The Japanese interface of Live Maps is extremely uncooperative and will not work for me (and I can't change to English interface either, it is apparently locked by your physical location... Microsoft are such a bunch of total retards).

AAANYway, I uploaded some crude maps anyway. As this machine was replaced not that long ago, I have yet to outfit it with anything decent in the graphics software department.

Applying some basic colour theory, Yellow = Westbound, Blue = Eastbound, Green = Both

East side

West side...

End of Richmond

End of Adelaide

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEME transit geek
TRZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #126
phunky
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ View Post
The Japanese interface of Live Maps is extremely uncooperative and will not work for me (and I can't change to English interface either, it is apparently locked by your physical location... Microsoft are such a bunch of total retards).
All you do is go to your Windows Live Account @ http://account.live.com and change your location and/or language. And that will fix it. It's not based on your physical location, unless Japan has control over such things.
Old May 5th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #127
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky View Post
All you do is go to your Windows Live Account @ http://account.live.com and change your location and/or language. And that will fix it. It's not based on your physical location, unless Japan has control over such things.
Ah, couldn't find that link in the help page, thanks. I can't find anything in the help page either of why it tries to load information forever and never show me anything. I hit the back button at one point during an attempted sign in, but since then although I've rebooted and cleared cookies, it still isn't working. Microsoft... fuck 'em.

Old May 11th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #128
phunky
BANNED

Quote:
GO Wants Bus Only Lanes On DVP Shoulders
Friday May 11, 2007

Which would you rather do - face a visit to the dentist or a typical morning rush sitting on the DVP? Either one can be like pulling teeth. But now GO Transit is proposing what seems like a simple idea to help end that gridlock grind once and for all - dedicated bus lanes on the Parkway that wouldn't interfere with existing traffic.

The best part of the plan: GO is planning to pick up the $12 million fee for the upgrade. The lanes for the fleet's 133 DVP-bound buses would be set up on the left shoulders between the 401 and Bloor and fines and demerits would be assessed for drivers who don't stay out of the lanes. The right of way would save riders time and make their journey into the core more efficient. But will it be enough to get commuters out of their cars?

Not Clair Szczepski. "Unfortunately due to my job constraints I have to use my car. I actually work in Mississauga and live in Toronto, so therefore I would be using my car."

Brian Elrington wouldn't be busing it, either. He likes the morning mayhem. "There's too much comfort in the car, you know," he explains. "Traffic jams ultimately are the only time you get to be alone with yourself anyways, so I enjoy and it I love my car too much to give it up."

But Jim Park believes it will help. "I think it might take some of the congestion off the road if a lot of people would use it."

Getting people out of their cars and into public transit has long been the goal of transportation officials and city council. But talking about it and making it happen have been as difficult as getting anywhere fast on the DVP around 5pm on a Friday afternoon.
I think this would definitely get people out of their cars. But it depends where the buses make stops. Personally I would much rather see them put in an electric train along the DVP. Los Angeles has commuter trains beside their highways and I think it's awesome.
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #129
kettal
city

I think that article is talking about the current GO bus routes that use the DVP. Usually going from a suburb directly to Union.
kettal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #130
Electrify

Quote:
Brian Elrington wouldn't be busing it, either. He likes the morning mayhem. "There's too much comfort in the car, you know," he explains. "Traffic jams ultimately are the only time you get to be alone with yourself anyways, so I enjoy and it I love my car too much to give it up."
More of a reason to toll these highways as they enter and exit the downtown during the morning and afternoon rush hours respectively. And on topic, I think it is a great idea and if these buses ran frequently enough, could really help to pull people out of their cars.
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #131
Electrify

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettal View Post
I think that article is talking about the current GO bus routes that use the DVP. Usually going from a suburb directly to Union.
There are only a few GO bus routes that use the DVP, so I'm guessing they would also increase service as well and introduce new ones.
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #132
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 278

I found this Star article interesting too:

Quote:
Bus-only lane pitched for DVP

City looks at opening median lane to buses alone
May 11, 2007 04:30 AM
Paul Moloney
City hall bureau
Bus rides up and down the Don Valley Parkway may get a lot easier – and faster.

It could take a few years, but Toronto is looking at making transit-friendly changes to one of Canada's busiest roads, including a bus-only lane to unplug the congested expressway.

There's no room to expand, but officials want to squeeze buses onto the centre median lane to let transit users zip ahead of car drivers in the regular lanes.

The concept, already used in Los Angeles, Minneapolis and Ottawa, would help GO Transit buses draw more passengers out of their cars, said managing director Gary McNeil.

GO runs 133 buses daily from Union Station to GO stations on the Bradford, Richmond Hill and Stouffville lines, but they're often stuck in snarled traffic on the DVP, McNeil said.

Bus-only lanes running in the median from Highway 401 to Bloor St. would help, he said.

"For a passenger, it's very attractive," he said. "There's nothing better than sitting on a bus and going by stopped traffic. You're doing something good for the environment and it's smart for you because you're going to get to work quicker."

Councillor Shelley Carroll (Ward 33, Don Valley East) said buses currently get stuck on streets funnelling into downtown, while car drivers use the parkway as a more direct route.

"It's too compelling an argument to get into your car," she said. "We have to modify the road to make public transit more attractive, and I think this plan makes sense."

Other ideas city transportation planners are exploring:

Ramp meters, essentially stoplights at on-ramps, similar to those on the QEW in Mississauga. Cars would be held for five or six seconds each to smooth the process of merging.

A bare-bones GO train station at Eglinton. Studies show many residents in the burgeoning Wynford Dr. area work downtown, and a train stop would provide an alternative to cars.

Upgrade overhead signs to provide more information on traffic conditions.

The idea for bus-only lanes came up as early as 2000, in planning for the unsuccessful bid for the 2008 Olympics.

"We're into the seventh year now, to the point where finally they're analyzing soil conditions to confirm whether we can run a bus," said Rod McPhail, the city's director of transportation planning.

There's room in the median for a bus lane in each direction. McNeil said he's confident the threat of fines and demerit points will keep motorists out of the lane.

GO Transit will pay the full cost, estimated at $12 million and considered dirt cheap as infrastructure projects go. The only thing holding things up is the need for a full environmental assessment, McNeil said.

"The mayor of the city of Toronto, I can categorically say, is very supportive of this. No one has said they don't like it."
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #133
leaf345

Likes (Received): 2

Could Brian Elrington be the dumbest person in Toronto? It seems like it.
leaf345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:15 AM   #134
yin_yang

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf345 View Post
Could Brian Elrington be the dumbest person in Toronto? It seems like it.
no, he'd be in a tie with me and many others by your calculations...if i were in his position, that is. they definitly need the tolls, and now! a test first to see if toronto drivers are THAT fickle and might simply stay away in droves because of a 2 dollar fee or something...but that is something that could be minimized by making downtown damn attractive and planning more activities people MUST go to.
yin_yang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:17 AM   #135
Electrify

I think having the GO station at Lawrence on the Richmond Hill line would be much better. It is closer to the people, shopping, and would help to give the former suburb of Don Mills a stronger identity.
Old May 12th, 2007, 05:23 AM   #136
kettal
city

I think it should be south rather than north. The prospect of driving north to catch a southbound train is unattractive.
Old May 12th, 2007, 05:53 AM   #137
TRZ

Quote:
I think having the GO station at Lawrence on the Richmond Hill line would be much better. It is closer to the people, shopping, and would help to give the former suburb of Don Mills a stronger identity.
GO's Oriole Station is at the 401 and DVP interchange (not far from Lawrence), for the purpose of getting people out of their cars at an extremely congested point. Maybe what they need is better signage. And not at this station only either. How about the entire Lakeshore West Line while you're at it?

IMO, I think people know the lines are there, but I don't they know how close to stations they are as the drive down the highway. For example, if you plant an offramp sign together with the rest of the road information at the Trafalgar Exit of the QEW "GO Train Oakville Station 200m south", I think people might be more likely to use it. Hurontario, same story for PC GO, only it would be 600m instead of 200. How about Etobicoke North? Right at the 409/401, a highway interchange just like Oriole. They are not clueing in to the idea that these stations are not out of their way to get to IMO. Signs should also be added in front of the onramps to deter people from getting on the highways in the first place and go directly to the GO Station in cases where it is close. The little GO Logo on a lamp post that they use currently is not gonna do it. It needs to be big, and it needs to be in the center of the road. We're dealing with idiots, so we should treat them like such.

The DVP is used by Bradford (I think), Stouffville and Richmond Hill line bus routes outside rush hours on weekdays (they do not run on weekends).

Last edited by TRZ; May 12th, 2007 at 06:00 AM.
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #138
Electrify

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ View Post
GO's Oriole Station is at the 401 and DVP interchange (not far from Lawrence), for the purpose of getting people out of their cars at an extremely congested point. Maybe what they need is better signage. And not at this station only either. How about the entire Lakeshore West Line while you're at it?

IMO, I think people know the lines are there, but I don't they know how close to stations they are as the drive down the highway. For example, if you plant an offramp sign together with the rest of the road information at the Trafalgar Exit of the QEW "GO Train Oakville Station 200m south", I think people might be more likely to use it. Hurontario, same story for PC GO, only it would be 600m instead of 200. How about Etobicoke North? Right at the 409/401, a highway interchange just like Oriole. They are not clueing in to the idea that these stations are not out of their way to get to IMO. Signs should also be added in front of the onramps to deter people from getting on the highways in the first place and go directly to the GO Station in cases where it is close. The little GO Logo on a lamp post that they use currently is not gonna do it. It needs to be big, and it needs to be in the center of the road. We're dealing with idiots, so we should treat them like such.

The DVP is used by Bradford (I think), Stouffville and Richmond Hill line bus routes outside rush hours on weekdays (they do not run on weekends).
I think just like kettal said, the thought of driving north just to head south isn't very appealing, or at least that far north when you are already fairly close to downtown. And Don Mills is/was a well known suburb, making it more fitting to put a GO station there rather than at Eglinton.

Still, the idea of saying distances to GO stations is a very good idea. I don't know if I would do it on most lines though, since they have only rush hour service. But along the QEW and 401 not only would I put up distance signs, I'd also put up frequency ("GO trains run from Ajax approximately every 30 minutes during rush hour and every 60 minutes during the day"), and maybe even say how long it would take to get to downtown by the GO train ("GO train takes approx. 45 minutes to arrive in downtown Toronto from Ajax").

As for the TTC, I would definitely put up the same signs for Ellesmere, York Mills, Yorkdale, and Kipling stations from the freeways, but I would be reluctant to do it for Don Mills and Leslie stations. I'm not someone who usually drives into Toronto during rush hour, so I don't know if it would be faster to park at Don Mills/Leslie and take the subway from there, or to take the 401 across to Yonge and the subway from Don Mills. During good traffic though, the latter is definitely the better choice.
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #139
TRZ

Quote:
But along the QEW and 401 not only would I put up distance signs, I'd also put up frequency ("GO trains run from Ajax approximately every 30 minutes during rush hour and every 60 minutes during the day"), and maybe even say how long it would take to get to downtown by the GO train ("GO train takes approx. 45 minutes to arrive in downtown Toronto from Ajax").
No way, way too much information. I mena, yeah, these highways are often congested and don't more very fast, but the signs should still be designed to be read within the time they're visible when travelling at 100km/h (or slightly faster). That's not a lot of time to read that much information on a stationary sign when passing it that fast. It is not safe to put that much information on it, distracts from the road too much.

As for the TTC, while I'd have thought it obvious, do not do that with stations that do not have parking.

Old May 13th, 2007, 06:25 AM   #140
kettal
city

How about a digital sign. GO station, next exit, next train: 16 minutes.

I looked on the dvp today and less than half of it has the so called "centre lane". Some of the bridges are only wide enough to hold the 3 traffic lanes.

Quote:
I would be reluctant to do it for Don Mills
There already is big TTC direction signs on hwy 404 near sheppard.