daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #21
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 779

Thanks. I have to agree that downtown Stuttgart is very uninspiring. I was quite disappointed the first time I visited it, and even more so the 2nd. It looks like a collection of bland 1960, 70's buildings with only a couple of interesting historical ones and one or two attractive modern ones. Even the main park is boring and looks like something straight out of the 1970's, worn out and tired.

The reason I was disappointed though was because as you said, the suburbs are so nice. And they certainly are in Stuttgart and the surrounding urban and metro area. Especially as you follow the river (and rail line to Munich) as you pass hills and vineyards with beautiful historical buildings. If only Stuttgart worked on it's city center, but that would cost a fortune for businesses to replace all those hideous functional buildings.

That said, is the Stuttgart 21 project around the Hauptbahnhof still going ahead? Has it actually started?

By the way, where are these places?

Oh, I would take those GDP/Capita figures with a grain of salt. They mean nothing unless you include the whole metropolitan area as city proper figures are based on council area's and not a real functioning city which may have the lower income and industrial area's outside the political boundary, and thus not rounded out.

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2008, 03:05 AM   #22
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
By the way, where are these places?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyathenian View Post
Although Esslingen is a separate town, it is so close to Stuttgart that I include it in this thread..
ESSLINGEN!!!
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 05:59 AM   #23
l'eau
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

nice city
my a few cousins are lives at stuttgart.
l'eau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 08:06 AM   #24
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Seltsam View Post
ESSLINGEN!!!
Thanks, and agreed, it's certainly part of the metropolitan area.
Old August 14th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #25
Mr.Canello

Likes (Received): 1459

Nice pics of a wonderful city!
Mr.Canello no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #26
Wagahai
not a cat

Likes (Received): 9

@nastyathenian
Nice pics, indeed, many thanks!

@Justme
Thanks. I have to agree that downtown Stuttgart is very uninspiring. I was quite disappointed the first time I visited it, and even more so the 2nd. It looks like a collection of bland 1960, 70's buildings with only a couple of interesting historical ones and one or two attractive modern ones. Even the main park is boring and looks like something straight out of the 1970's, worn out and tired.
I donīt know how many of the greater german cities you know. Compared with other german cities with more than 500.000 inh., Stuttgartīs downtown is doing quite well and itīs increasing its attractivity continuously. Especially the developments in the last 2 or 3 years were remarkable, and that would be only the beginnig, when you have a look only at the greater developments around the Schlossplatz: Phönixbau (shops & offices, completion Oct. 2008, 110 Mio. EURO), Da Vinci-Project (270 Mio. EURO, Mixed-Use, Charlottenplatz, Buelow Office/Mixed-Use project (120 Mio. EURO), LBBW-Project Koenigstr. 1 (Shopping Center, Offices, appr. over 100 Mio. EURO) are planned to be starting soon, among other major office projects near the Central Station.
In a few years, a completely new city center would be built with Stuttgart 21-A1 district (construction start of newer major projects like Library 21, LBBW Property HQ a.o. scheduled from Nov. 2008), A2, A3, B, C & D will follow (A2, A3, B and D) only if the Central Station is transformed to an underground station, what should be finally clear appr. end of the year). In total Stuttgart 21 city project would mean the doubling of the size of the actual downtown by completion.
S21-City-Project http://www.stuttgart21.de/site/stutt...Id=225814.html

What is true: Places like the Marktplatz and some of its side streets are still typical 50s/60s-style and not attractive (at least for the eyes), and the dividing effect of the highway-like B14 is surely not optimum in terms of city development (therefore scheduled to become a tunnel till 2012).
But the other parts of downtown are imo above average and the Schlossplatz one of the most attractive squares in Germany.

I addition (completely unknown among the tourists), Stuttgarts downtown is surrounded by attractive historical quarters like Stuttgart-West or Heusteig-/Lehenviertel, the setting unique

More Pics:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...i#post20675415
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...hlight=Wagahai
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...hlight=Wagahai
Old September 3rd, 2010, 05:15 AM   #27
Psychopolis

Likes (Received): 1

Towns around Stuttgart...

Esslingen really is a quite beautiful town (92.000 inhabitants) being partly medieval...

I'd like to add some photographs I took yesterday:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And some views from the castle above the centre of Esslingen into the densely populated Neckar-valley:

The inscription below tells us the dates when the Esslingen-castle was first mentioned (1314), extended between 1519 and 1887 and renewed 1976/1977.