daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #81
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy2003 View Post
you´re right !

but f.e. bruxelles as town itself has no power.
if you would put away the EU from Bruxelles (just as an example) what would there be in Bruexelles ?
It would still have the NATO headquarters...
and the regional governments of some Belgian regions.
From an economic point of view I guess it would be quite normal compared to other larger European cities (apart from the heavy weights)

But all in all its quite true. Brussels itself is maybe a Beta City or maybe even less. But the EU simply is an integral part of Brussels nowadays.

What would be Washington DC if the US would relocate its capital btw? I guess even less than Brussels would be without the EU institutions.

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #82
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244843

Brussels have "huge" power...
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #83
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

Very nice thread! The city is really monumental and powerful! Great!
Skyline_FFM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #84
christos-greece
Moderator!

Different opinions - different cities...
(Washngton, Brussels, Rome, London, Miami, e.t.c. e.t.c.)
I think a poll needed here
Old December 6th, 2008, 01:28 PM   #85
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Check out how much the 'Georgetown' sign on the bus stands out...

You must be able to see them coming from miles away...

Old December 6th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #86
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federicoft View Post

SSC is priceless. Just priceless.
I wonder how I ever survived without it.

Best post in this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milos Obilic View Post
...without Britain the EU would be a joke...
This is so ridiculous!
Britain wasn't even a founder member.
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #87
GaBo_CR

Likes (Received): 0

amazing photos... i was wondering... is there any poor in DC? or anything not as perfect as in these pics?
GaBo_CR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #88
Leadingtraveler

yes, there are several poor areas. However, I never had the chance to go to them. These are pics really of the government center, rather than the whole of DC.
Leadingtraveler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #89
christos-greece
Moderator!

Georgetown its in the center of D.C. right?
Old December 8th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #90
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Georgetown its in the center of D.C. right?
Well not the very center. Its north west of it.
Maybe Capitol Hill is a nice quarter however. It seemed less posh but like a maybe even nicer place to me.

Georgetown in red.
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #91
MDguy

Yea, Georgetown used to be Georgetown, Maryland and was there way before the idea of DC was ever around so its older than the rest of DC and really nice. I love DC
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #92
MDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBo_CR View Post
amazing photos... i was wondering... is there any poor in DC? or anything not as perfect as in these pics?
There are many poor areas of DC. Generally, SE is the worst part of the city while NW and SW are the nicest part of the city, as well as the mall of course
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #93
christos-greece
Moderator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
Well not the very center. Its north west of it.
Maybe Capitol Hill is a nice quarter however. It seemed less posh but like a maybe even nicer place to me.

Georgetown in red.
Thanks for the info (map too)
Old December 13th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #94
cachen

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
I think it is difficult to imagine anyone looking at these photos and not noticing the European influence. In 1791, George Washington appointed Pierre-Charles L'Enfant ( an architect/planner from France) to plan the national capitol, and he based it on classic Beaux Arts designs. Certainly looks a great deal more "European" than most American cities.
to clear up some bullshit in this thread:

1. dc was not "designed by a french guy to look like paris" or any such crap. in fact, paris itself was cramped and disease rampant with medieval style while washington was being planned. it wasnt until the 1870s or so that paris got most of its famous wide streets. and guess what, dc was a podunk, muddy street hovel until after the civil war. go look up some pictures of it in the 1860s. so dc wasnt really made grand until almost a century after the streets had been laid out by the french guy. and lol, "beaux arts classics" dont come from the 1791. you are off by about 100 years. or maybe you should just stop making stuff up to support your eurocentrism.

2. europe at the time dc was planned hadnt itself yet been taken by grand neoclassical designs. europe got its big fancy sacre couers, houses of parliaments, reichstags, etc AFTER the us capitol was built. dc wasn't copying "europe", it was copying a long dead 2000 year old architectural style (also found in turkey, egypt, syria, algeria - anywhere there was greek or roman ruins), which was meant to recall reason, enlightenment, democracy, and crap. architects from europe also looked to greeks and romans for inspiration, at the same time that the americans did.

3. i love how all the racists on this site act. any time they see some pretty architecture that looks fairly clean, they go "wow it looks soo european!!" doesn't matter if its in syria, thailand, japan, mexico, or india. any nice buildings with clean streets is automatically equated with europe. and i know you racists mean it as a compliment, but its not really, when people say your city looks like a knockoff of "great civilized europe".

4. brussels, lol. yeah they command the might of the combined european armed forces, don't they. they handle the foreign affairs of all of europe, don't they. they set budgets and expenditures for all of europe, don't they. oh wait...every country in the eu still has their own military, their own foreign policy, and their own federal governments. whereas dc handles all of that shit for the united states. oh yeah, not to mention all the eu military bases on american soil. how can the eu be more powerful than the united states when the us is actually occupying europe?
cachen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #95
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachen View Post
to clear up some bullshit in this thread:

1. dc was not "designed by a french guy to look like paris" or any such crap. in fact, paris itself was cramped and disease rampant with medieval style while washington was being planned. it wasnt until the 1870s or so that paris got most of its famous wide streets. and guess what, dc was a podunk, muddy street hovel until after the civil war. go look up some pictures of it in the 1860s. so dc wasnt really made grand until almost a century after the streets had been laid out by the french guy. and lol, "beaux arts classics" dont come from the 1791. you are off by about 100 years. or maybe you should just stop making stuff up to support your eurocentrism.
That does not change the fact that the city was master planned by a French guy and that he did a fine job at it. DC was not the first planned city nor the last one. Thomas Jefferson himself brought up plans European cities as basis for the task as well. Among them the plans of Karlsruhe, Amsterdam, Paris, Orléans, Montpellier, Turin und Mailand. Even though that French man did not finish his job the influence of European architecture hardly can be neglected.
Quote:
2. europe at the time dc was planned hadnt itself yet been taken by grand neoclassical designs. europe got its big fancy sacre couers, houses of parliaments, reichstags, etc AFTER the us capitol was built. dc wasn't copying "europe", it was copying a long dead 2000 year old architectural style (also found in turkey, egypt, syria, algeria - anywhere there was greek or roman ruins), which was meant to recall reason, enlightenment, democracy, and crap. architects from europe also looked to greeks and romans for inspiration, at the same time that the americans did.
Neoclassicism has strong French roots. You will have a hard day denying its European origin and I am not just talking about 2000 year old roots but 250 year old roots. But whats so bad anyway with that or what is surprising? The USA were a damn young state at the time full of people with strong and rather recent European background.

Quote:
3. i love how all the racists on this site act. any time they see some pretty architecture that looks fairly clean, they go "wow it looks soo european!!" doesn't matter if its in syria, thailand, japan, mexico, or india. any nice buildings with clean streets is automatically equated with europe. and i know you racists mean it as a compliment, but its not really, when people say your city looks like a knockoff of "great civilized europe".

Well, I guess you have to live with it that the US belongs to the western world. Its old style architecture of course has been considerably influenced by Europe. Whats racist about stating that obvious fact. After all its not surprising in a country 200 years ago full with European immigrants.

Quote:
4. brussels, lol. yeah they command the might of the combined european armed forces, don't they. they handle the foreign affairs of all of europe, don't they. they set budgets and expenditures for all of europe, don't they. oh wait...every country in the eu still has their own military, their own foreign policy, and their own federal governments. whereas dc handles all of that shit for the united states. oh yeah, not to mention all the eu military bases on american soil. how can the eu be more powerful than the united states when the us is actually occupying europe?
The Commission decided in Brussels that the American companies GE and Honeywell are not allowed to merge, while the US administration allowed it. They did not merge even though they wanted. Sounds like quite some power to me. When Brussels decided to reform the chemical safety regulations and get rid of those outdated American ones, it created REACH. REACH is on the best way to become globally the leading regulation on chemicals, leaving the US far behind. American companies will also have to adopt it, if they want to trade with Europe, which most large companies actually do.

These are just two examples where Brussels matters on a global stage. But also when it comes to environmental or green tech issues it plays a role. Everyone knows that the EU is no federal state with a large army on its own. So what? Its telling for you that you as an American equate power with military power and perhaps a little bit of foreign policy alone.

The USA also has their state governments and they have a load of competences as well. Now don't try to pretend that the USA is a big centralist state, when it is quite the opposite of it.

There are actually also European soldiers in the US, not in camps on their own but nonetheless. Thats called cooperation. You should look up the term "occupation" btw. As it seems you have problems using it correctly. The US has been granted some small pieces of territory for maintaining bases in Europe (not in eg France or Austria though). Those American forces have no authority at all outside of those basis.

PS:
Brussels is probably not the most important city in the world, but its blind eyed to claim it does not belong to the group of most influential cities in the world. And no, you don't need a huge army for being influential, even if some Americans could not believe that. If you don't believe it, look at the number of lobbyists in DC and in Brussels. They usually are not in cities for no reasons.

Last edited by Slartibartfas; December 13th, 2008 at 11:57 AM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #96
Leadingtraveler

Hey guys, thanks for the responses!! I was hoping some of you could visit the following link and vote for a picture I took in DC. its for a scholarship I could win!.http://www.brickfish.com/Pages/Photo...&pbvi=52085789
Leadingtraveler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #97
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
That does not change the fact that the city was master planned by a French guy and that he did a fine job at it. DC was not the first planned city nor the last one. Thomas Jefferson himself brought up plans European cities as basis for the task as well. Among them the plans of Karlsruhe, Amsterdam, Paris, Orléans, Montpellier, Turin und Mailand. Even though that French man did not finish his job the influence of European architecture hardly can be neglected.

Neoclassicism has strong French roots. You will have a hard day denying its European origin and I am not just talking about 2000 year old roots but 250 year old roots. But whats so bad anyway with that or what is surprising? The USA were a damn young state at the time full of people with strong and rather recent European background.

Well, I guess you have to live with it that the US belongs to the western world. Its old style architecture of course has been considerably influenced by Europe. Whats racist about stating that obvious fact. After all its not surprising in a country 200 years ago full with European immigrants.

The Commission decided in Brussels that the American companies GE and Honeywell are not allowed to merge, while the US administration allowed it. They did not merge even though they wanted. Sounds like quite some power to me. When Brussels decided to reform the chemical safety regulations and get rid of those outdated American ones, it created REACH. REACH is on the best way to become globally the leading regulation on chemicals, leaving the US far behind. American companies will also have to adopt it, if they want to trade with Europe, which most large companies actually do.

These are just two examples where Brussels matters on a global stage. But also when it comes to environmental or green tech issues it plays a role. Everyone knows that the EU is no federal state with a large army on its own. So what? Its telling for you that you as an American equate power with military power and perhaps a little bit of foreign policy alone.

The USA also has their state governments and they have a load of competences as well. Now don't try to pretend that the USA is a big centralist state, when it is quite the opposite of it.

There are actually also European soldiers in the US, not in camps on their own but nonetheless. Thats called cooperation. You should look up the term "occupation" btw. As it seems you have problems using it correctly. The US has been granted some small pieces of territory for maintaining bases in Europe (not in eg France or Austria though). Those American forces have no authority at all outside of those basis.

PS:
Brussels is probably not the most important city in the world, but its blind eyed to claim it does not belong to the group of most influential cities in the world. And no, you don't need a huge army for being influential, even if some Americans could not believe that. If you don't believe it, look at the number of lobbyists in DC and in Brussels. They usually are not in cities for no reasons.
But you foget something. Behind are politicians from all capitals of Europe. Surely Brussels concentrates the EU power. But let's be honest: Politically okay, but strategically powerful, no.
Old December 13th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #98
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_FFM View Post
But you foget something. Behind are politicians from all capitals of Europe. Surely Brussels concentrates the EU power.
Partially but not exclusively. The big anti trust decisions for example are in the hand of the trade Commissioner in Brussels. The trade Commissioner therefore might be also one of the most powerful positions in Brussels. Even Top Managers from huge companies won't ignore him, they can't afford ignoring him.

Moreover also on other aspects of EU politics the view of Brussels concentrating national power comes too short. Supranational institutions like the Commission, the Parliament and the European Court of Justice are playing a significant role as well. Furthermore the whole is more than just the sum of its parts.

Quote:
But let's be honest: Politically okay, but strategically powerful, no.
If strategically means military I think your argument is correct. After a European military alliance failed in the 50's or so, the EU has started to gain military capabilities only recently. So it will take still a long time until it has some larger and reliable capabilities, in case that should happen at all.
Old December 14th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #99
christos-greece
Moderator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_FFM View Post
...Surely Brussels concentrates the EU power. But let's be honest: Politically okay, but strategically powerful, no...
I think strategically power is also "okay"
Old December 14th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #100
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

For being the capital of USA, i can also say that Washington DC is one the most powerful cities on earth.
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote