daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #101
Denoordrotterdammer

Likes (Received): 66

pretty kitsch

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #102
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
Partially but not exclusively. The big anti trust decisions for example are in the hand of the trade Commissioner in Brussels. The trade Commissioner therefore might be also one of the most powerful positions in Brussels. Even Top Managers from huge companies won't ignore him, they can't afford ignoring him.

Moreover also on other aspects of EU politics the view of Brussels concentrating national power comes too short. Supranational institutions like the Commission, the Parliament and the European Court of Justice are playing a significant role as well. Furthermore the whole is more than just the sum of its parts..
Yes, but Brussels is ONLY a commercially spoken powerful city-militarily spoken, not! Washington is both! And the city is the first place people look to when it comes to globally interesting things, Brussels is only second.
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #103
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_FFM View Post
Yes, but Brussels is ONLY a commercially spoken powerful city-militarily spoken, not!
No, its also politically very important. You make it look like there would be only two categories: commerce and military, thats not the whole range actually. The environemtnal regulations made in Brussels for example are of high importance for the entire continent, they do not have necissarily something to do with commerce. Increased police cooperation and establishing European interfaces for that aim has hardly something to do with commerce either, but is of considerable importance for Europe as well.

Btw, Brussels is even militarily somewhat important (NATO headquarters)

Quote:
Washington is both! And the city is the first place people look to when it comes to globally interesting things, Brussels is only second.
Well thats no city vs city thread. We are talking about important cities on a global scale. Both belong to that category. Is Washington on the first place? Probably. So what?
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #104
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

No. The topic was Washington and someone hijacked this thread for beginning the Brussels discussion....
Old December 16th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #105
Slartibartfas

The title could be interpreted in different ways. But having read the OP again, it seems correct that this thread is in first line about DC. So I rest my case, that does not mean that I think my other arguments would be incorrect though.
Old December 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #106
Patriot76
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

The intersections of Massachusetts Ave., Rhode Island Ave., Connecticut Ave., Vermont Ave. and K Street NW form a five-pointed star. I'm not sure if it is a coincidence or not..... but the street layout form the pentagram.

It is no secret that George Washington (who commissioned the design of Washington D.C. and its layout) was a practicing Mason (freemason) and maybe he intentionally wanted the capital to have this type of street plan.

Maybe that is the reason why Washingont D.C. became the most (or one of the most) powerful cities in the world.

Washington DC's pentagram design links Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, Mount Vernon Square, Washington Circle and The White House with each location at the points. The Pentagram places The White House at the apex of the point and links it, via Pennsylvania Avenue to the Capitol Building. Some see this pattern, along with the Pennsylvania Avenue linkage, to form the five pointed star. Does this mean that Washington DC is secretly aligned with a powerful force?

Patriot76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #107
DameonMason

Likes (Received): 0

I thought a pentagram had to be in a circle...

Absolutely beautiful pics, I love D.C., it always been one of my favorite cities, it's like a nice little blend of America, with a little Europe.

In all this discussion of the powerful this and that, I'm surprised no one has mentioned New York, together with D.C., they like practically freaking dominate. Commerce, trade, politics, but of course it all debatable.
DameonMason no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #108
brightside.
Honorary Scouser

Likes (Received): 8139

One of the greatest cities of the world, I lived, worked and studied there for a while

Actually I lived in Crystal City in Arlington, and later on in Fairfax County, but it's close enough.
Old January 27th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #109
vince2009

I just have to reply to this thread.

Number one, great pics. That was my impression of DC.
Number two, if I had them I would gladly share but if someone has pics for behind the White House these should be in here to balance the picture of what a beautiful city DC is.

What is behind the White House, well a ghetto.

I did not know DC prior to arrival and drove with my rent-a-car in this direction and nearly freaked out. Sorry but that was my honest reaction.

I saw poor people sitting around wondering what the hell I was doing there. Well I was trying to find the fastest exited out of that section because I was noticed. Why? Because there were no Caucasions walking around as they do in front of the White House. :-(

Guess everyone was warned except me :-)

I also visited the Luanda forum as I was there. Man some nice picture and many comments what a great places. Well finally someone woke the crowed by showing that Luanda is probable 80 ghetto. Those posting the nice pictures got upset (proabable local rich and upper middle class types), but heck THAT is a fact !!! Luanda has a LOT of poor people and to understand this one needs to know the history of how this happened.

So be careful looking at places and making an opinion of HOW IT IS THERE. You might be in for a surprise when you land :-)
vince2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #110
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 906

Great pics! I´ve always wondered why historic buildings in America look like they were built yesterday? I mean they look overly clean and neat.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #111
MDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince2009 View Post
I just have to reply to this thread.

Number one, great pics. That was my impression of DC.
Number two, if I had them I would gladly share but if someone has pics for behind the White House these should be in here to balance the picture of what a beautiful city DC is.

What is behind the White House, well a ghetto.

I did not know DC prior to arrival and drove with my rent-a-car in this direction and nearly freaked out. Sorry but that was my honest reaction.

I saw poor people sitting around wondering what the hell I was doing there. Well I was trying to find the fastest exited out of that section because I was noticed. Why? Because there were no Caucasions walking around as they do in front of the White House. :-(

Guess everyone was warned except me :-)

I also visited the Luanda forum as I was there. Man some nice picture and many comments what a great places. Well finally someone woke the crowed by showing that Luanda is probable 80 ghetto. Those posting the nice pictures got upset (proabable local rich and upper middle class types), but heck THAT is a fact !!! Luanda has a LOT of poor people and to understand this one needs to know the history of how this happened.

So be careful looking at places and making an opinion of HOW IT IS THERE. You might be in for a surprise when you land :-)
Uh...no behind the white house is no ghetto

image hosted on flickr

http://flickr.com/photos/zurmv/141808849/

If you seriously think Dupont circle is a ghetto...you must have redicoulsly high expect ions for what is a nice neighborhood is.

Unless you're talking about what's behind the Capitol, which is also a redicoulsly nice neighborhood. Basically the entire West half of DC is rich and everywhere around the mall. It's SE and NE that are ghetto and basically any parts touching the Anacostia . Saying that DC will be a suprise when you land is ridiculous. Just because you ended up in a bad neighborhood, suddenly the whole city will be a surprise to everyone? please. Im suprised Foreigners don't think like Americans that aren't from DC, they think its all a ghetto
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #112
vince2009

Sorry DC, guess my memory poped a leak

I was in DC in 1992. I suspect that I must have confused the area perhaps, but I do the distinct impression that after looking at the WH I drove around it and was basickly on a one way street. It was going up hill. The street going in the opposite direction was divided by a large chunk of land on which were little parks etc. The houses did not look too bad but SORRY it was a poor neighborhood.

The point of my comment was not to say DC is a ghetto!!!! With all that well spent money it better be in good shape. My point was SHOW ME the bad parts also because as a tourist you had better know this info as it may have health consequences for you.

Besides Luanda, another city where you had better know where you are walking is Rio de Janeiro!!!

Have fun in DC with the New President.
vince2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #113
MDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince2009 View Post
Sorry DC, guess my memory poped a leak

I was in DC in 1992. I suspect that I must have confused the area perhaps, but I do the distinct impression that after looking at the WH I drove around it and was basickly on a one way street. It was going up hill. The street going in the opposite direction was divided by a large chunk of land on which were little parks etc. The houses did not look too bad but SORRY it was a poor neighborhood.

The point of my comment was not to say DC is a ghetto!!!! With all that well spent money it better be in good shape. My point was SHOW ME the bad parts also because as a tourist you had better know this info as it may have health consequences for you.

Besides Luanda, another city where you had better know where you are walking is Rio de Janeiro!!!

Have fun in DC with the New President.
Oh that explains it. Early 90s = horrible time for DC and many (most) American cities. Yes, there are poor neighborhoods in DC. But seriously, what city does not have poor neighborhoods? And plus, you're basing this on one neighborhood? interesting. i could show you some pics of the ghetto if you like though! i personally don't have any but could get some
Old January 27th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #114
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244374

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy View Post
image hosted on flickr
Seriously behind Capitol house and the White house is not a ghetto...

That street or avenue behind White House which street is it?
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #115
MDguy

16th street
Old January 28th, 2009, 04:40 AM   #116
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_viet View Post
Washington D.C. is strictly government and isn't cosmopolitan.
Ummmm.....

What?
Old January 28th, 2009, 04:50 AM   #117
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveforever View Post
city_thing is right to point out that most London and indeed UK museums ( the Imperial War Museum, National Portrait Gallery, Natural History Museum etc etc) are all free of charge.

I don't think anyone is arguing or complaining about the title threat because it is clearly designed to bait people into some kind of an argument that will only end up getting nasty.

Washington DC is a wonderful city, it's a shame we are unable to view your photos Leadingtraveler, but certainly it is a capital city to be proud of. However, and obviously it is down to individual opinion, but I don't think it falls into the same category as Rome, Paris or even London. I think there are some individual buildings in DC that are beautiful and particularly impressive but beyond that I fail to see anything of note. It is a city built by politicians for politicians. With respect to Rome, let us remind ourselves that as a city it boasts more that a thousand years of history and architecture, has been the epicentre of one of the largest empires on earth and one of the most widely followed religions. In terms of US cities, DC does have more in common with European architecture than most others, but is still more or less unique, which I think is more to be proud of.

And whilst were on the topic of power guys, just remember the responsibility part.
you couldnt be more wrong...built for politicians? How do you explain the over 500K people who live there? Gallery Place, Georgetown, Dupont Circle, Tenleytown, Chevy Chase, U Street...etc.

There is much more to this city than most people think. THe only reason that people assume that there isnt anything else is because everything is so focused in Southwest. Go out and explore you'll find out what im talking about.
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:09 AM   #118
MDguy

^ exactly. Seriously people's assumptions on the city are jacked
Old January 28th, 2009, 07:30 AM   #119
medpaisa19

Likes (Received): 159

it's funny that there is people arguing that DC isn't the most powerful city in the world, also it looks very "european" to me not because of it's clean roads and richness, but because it's buildings looks very similar to those found in Europe. Almost all the capital and important cities in the Americas look very European like Santiago, Buenos Aires, Montreal, Bogota, Mexico City, DC, Lima, and thousands of cities in Brazil. because we are part of the western civilization, were colonized by Europeans and follow European values such as religion, language, culture,body expressions, etc.
medpaisa19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #120
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
you couldnt be more wrong...built for politicians? How do you explain the over 500K people who live there? Gallery Place, Georgetown, Dupont Circle, Tenleytown, Chevy Chase, U Street...etc.

There is much more to this city than most people think. THe only reason that people assume that there isnt anything else is because everything is so focused in Southwest. Go out and explore you'll find out what im talking about.
But the 500 000 inhabitants are certainly not who are the cause for DC's fame. Actually thats a pretty small city. Granted there are very fine areas in DC. I personally like as already indicated earlier in this thread Capitol hill but also George Town is fine in its own way.

But DC is important because of politics, nothing else. I mean no one is trying to claim that DC rivals cities like Tokyo, London, Paris in terms of economic significance.

Maybe an exemption can be found when it comes to art. There are certainly enough high class museums in DC for the importance the city has as a capital.

But thats nothing DC has to be ashamed of. It was never designed to be the economic heart of the US and definitely has successfully become the very political heart of the most powerful country of our times. Thats fair enough.