daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 28th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #121
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244843

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy View Post
16th street
Thanks MDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post

But DC is important because of politics, nothing else...
Maybe an exemption can be found when it comes to art. There are certainly enough high class museums in DC for the importance the city has as a capital.
Is not only political think... DC is capital also for the history of U.S. it self (Day Intependence e.t.c.)
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #122
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Thanks MDguy

Is not only political think... DC is capital also for the history of U.S. it self (Day Intependence e.t.c.)
Maybe I am biased but I consider Philadelphia as historically more important than DC.
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #123
MDguy

Many, many historical things have happened in DC, but Philly was founded in 1682, while DC (not including Georgetown which had existed for a long time as Georgetown, Maryland) was founded in 1801 (that's when it was officially organized). That definently makes a difference, but i don't know if i would say either one are more historically important
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #124
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Many, many historical things have happened in DC, but Philly was founded in 1682, while DC (not including Georgetown which had existed for a long time as Georgetown, Maryland) was founded in 1801 (that's when it was officially organized). That definently makes a difference, but i don't know if i would say either one are more historically important
Well, of course thats up to the focus you have on history. But in Philadelphia some of the most important actions in the US history took part. Its a key to understand the creation of the state as such. Thats in my opinion hard to beat. I do not want to say however that DC has not a very rich history itself, it certainly has.
Old January 28th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #125
MDguy

DC wasn't officially even existing in 1776 when the country itself was formed so i guess theres no way, for you at least, that DC could be more historically important than Philly
Old January 28th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #126
Slartibartfas

Of course the history of a country is much more than just the place of its creation and its beginnings. Nonetheless this very aspect makes the place where it took place certainly very important. Later on, DC certainly overtook most of the importance, but until then, and that was not such a short time, Philadelphia was a very important place in the USA.

But you are perfectly right. It completely depends on the focus someone sets. DC certainly has a very interesting and important history itself.
Old January 28th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #127
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
But the 500 000 inhabitants are certainly not who are the cause for DC's fame. Actually thats a pretty small city. Granted there are very fine areas in DC. I personally like as already indicated earlier in this thread Capitol hill but also George Town is fine in its own way.

But DC is important because of politics, nothing else. I mean no one is trying to claim that DC rivals cities like Tokyo, London, Paris in terms of economic significance.

Maybe an exemption can be found when it comes to art. There are certainly enough high class museums in DC for the importance the city has as a capital.

But thats nothing DC has to be ashamed of. It was never designed to be the economic heart of the US and definitely has successfully become the very political heart of the most powerful country of our times. Thats fair enough.
Washington is a top ten media market, it is home to many Fortune 500 businesses and Forbes regularly rates it as one of the top places to either start or relocate a business. It is more important (not on a political level) than most American cities. The surrounding suburbs are collectively the richest in the nation, and themselves have numerous fortune 500 companies. I guess you can take it from me, someone who used to live in Washington, that the city is much more than you think it is.
Old January 29th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #128
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
Washington is a top ten media market, it is home to many Fortune 500 businesses and Forbes regularly rates it as one of the top places to either start or relocate a business. It is more important (not on a political level) than most American cities. The surrounding suburbs are collectively the richest in the nation, and themselves have numerous fortune 500 companies. I guess you can take it from me, someone who used to live in Washington, that the city is much more than you think it is.
I did not mean that DC is an economic dwarf. I said, it clearly does not belong to the peak of global economic heart cities. No way that it could come close to NYC, Tokio but also London or Paris to name examples.
Its economic influence might be large for a city of its size, maybe even huge, but don't forget that there are far larger cities out there with considerably more economical potential. Even a similar sized city like Frankfurt am Main might overcome DC in economic significance.
Old January 29th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #129
Siegessäule
BANNED

Likes (Received): 68

Berlin & Brussels Baby!
Siegessäule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #130
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
I did not mean that DC is an economic dwarf. I said, it clearly does not belong to the peak of global economic heart cities. No way that it could come close to NYC, Tokio but also London or Paris to name examples.
Its economic influence might be large for a city of its size, maybe even huge, but don't forget that there are far larger cities out there with considerably more economical potential. Even a similar sized city like Frankfurt am Main might overcome DC in economic significance.
But Frankfurt has not the power to chose or not whether there is world peace or world war! Washington HAS! (But so have Beijing, Moscow, London, Paris)...
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #131
christos-greece
Moderator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegessäule View Post
Berlin & Brussels Baby!
Brussels
Old February 1st, 2009, 03:14 AM   #132
CODEBARRE75011
Colonel Trautman

Likes (Received): 3646

Haughtiness photos. That this above reminds me the Garnier Opera :

Old February 1st, 2009, 11:24 AM   #133
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8835

Sheash, this thread degenerated into an argument of epic proportions. Sure the thread title is a little inflammatory, but the photos are interesting! Washington is a city of contrasts and it certainly interests me far more than many of the sunbelt cities of the US.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:12 PM   #134
christos-greece
Moderator!

What is it building in the first pic
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:27 PM   #135
MDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Sheash, this thread degenerated into an argument of epic proportions. Sure the thread title is a little inflammatory, but the photos are interesting! Washington is a city of contrasts and it certainly interests me far more than many of the sunbelt cities of the US.
DC a sunbelt city?

subelt:

Old February 11th, 2009, 02:23 AM   #136
wushui

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Uh...no behind the white house is no ghetto

image hosted on flickr

http://flickr.com/photos/zurmv/141808849/
That's a nice house, I wonder how much the guy who lives there now paid for it.
wushui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 02:25 AM   #137
wushui

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
DC a sunbelt city?

subelt:

No. Read again.
wushui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #138
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
DC a sunbelt city?

subelt:

No, I actually understood him saying that Washington is more than THOSE sunbelt cities (e.g. Miami only offering skyline and beaches)... And even not being in the sunbelt it offers so much! But this is only what I think what he wanted to say. With my rudimentary English knowledges I am not sure whether this was what he wanted to say or not...
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #139
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8835

Quote:
DC a sunbelt city?

subelt:
I wasn't saying it was a sunbelt city. Sorry, I did convey my thoughts badly there, but both Skyline_FFM and Wushui are dead right, I meant that I find cities like DC in the US to be far more photogenic and worthy of being displayed on this forum than most of the sunbelt cities in the USA which tend to saturate the forums more.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #140
MDguy

ok, ok! I get it now, you three! haha

Although i think some people forget that cities like Charleston, Savannah, and New Orleans lie in the Sunbelt