daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > City Images, Architecture & Historic themes

City Images, Architecture & Historic themes Photos, Archi-talk & History.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #21
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by tic View Post
Alphaville - apart from Mcleod's daughters and a couple of car ads, I truly have no idea what comes out of South Australia. I'm not trying to shit stir, but if so much public money is going in there, I, as a South Australian resident, would want to know that my state "brand" was well known out there.
Film SA is an extremely well respected organisation nationally and internationally. They are responsible for recent films like Ten Canoes, Look Both Ways, Wolf Creek, 2:37, The Caterpillar Wish, December Boys, Rabbit Proof Fence,etc..... many of these end up in the international film festival circuit. There are so many more. For the population of SA, their funding is by far and beyond the most dedicated in Australia.
"Made in SA" Film SA
Alphaville no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 26th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #22
tic
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)

Likes (Received): 126

I don't deny that we produce some gems, but boy oh boy we produce some rubbish too. I'd love it if Warner Brothers was used more for quality local stuff, but unfortunately, as I'm sure you'd agree, that's not how economics works. Warner Brothers can earn more dollars for Australia by hosting a Bollywood or Hollywood film or an advertisement for a south east asian company (which will never be seen here).
tic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #23
tic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaville View Post
Film SA is an extremely well respected organisation nationally and internationally. They are responsible for recent films like Ten Canoes, Look Both Ways, Wolf Creek, 2:37, The Caterpillar Wish, December Boys, Rabbit Proof Fence,etc..... many of these end up in the international film festival circuit. There are so many more. For the population of SA, their funding is by far and beyond the most dedicated in Australia.
"Made in SA" Film SA
There are some good yarns in there - but films must do more than be a good yarn to justify a lot of tax payer subsidy. South Australia has limited public funds, so it is not good enough to stroke Mike Rann's inflated opinion of himself by funding art house cinema that brings no return to SA taxpayers. There's got to also be a commercial focus.
Old July 26th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #24
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 260

Quote:
I don't deny that we produce some gems, but boy oh boy we produce some rubbish too. I'd love it if Warner Brothers was used more for quality local stuff, but unfortunately, as I'm sure you'd agree, that's not how economics works. Warner Brothers can earn more dollars for Australia by hosting a Bollywood or Hollywood film or an advertisement for a south east asian company (which will never be seen here).
Well thats right. They are in it for the $$$ and Australia is a cheap location (however with the rising dollar-- the value is decreasing). Thats why I don't think we can claim foreign productions shot here as our own. We have amazing talent that needs a reason to stay. Right now there is little. My point is more funding needs to be produced for high quality local productions in Qld and WA. Even in television, a disproportionately less amount of stuff is produced in Brisbane and Perth than there should be.
Alphaville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #25
tic

I think you'll find that Qld and WA are probably too busy with their economic and population growth atm - resources are being poured into critical infrastructure and service delivery areas. I'm not saying that more shouldn't be spent on local film, just that the dynamics of these two economies are very different to the rest of Australia.

At least Qld is spending big on capital works for the arts such as the Gallery of Modern Art and is actively chasing productions and exhibits such as Warhole and Picasso.

We're not complete philistines up here.
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #26
tic

Quote:
Well thats right. They are in it for the $$$ and Australia is a cheap location (however with the rising dollar-- the value is decreasing). Thats why I don't think we can claim foreign productions shot here as our own. We have amazing talent that needs a reason to stay. Right now there is little. My point is more funding needs to be produced for high quality local productions in Qld and WA. Even in television, a disproportionately less amount of stuff is produced in Brisbane and Perth than there should be.
Not directly on point but I think that a very substantial proportion of children's television is produced in South East Queensland. Not Rabbit Proof Fence, but still important Australian TV content.
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #27
eastadl

Likes (Received): 142

are u a Queenslander or South Aust'n. u got me dazzled.

Bad boy bubby, and Humphrey b bear came from here also
eastadl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #28
Aaron W

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAuzzie View Post
Um, well that was interesting to watch. Looks like it was shot sometime in the early 90s? (or maybe the 80s?)
Old July 26th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #29
Colonel Light

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Warner Brothers can earn more dollars for Australia by hosting a Bollywood or Hollywood film or an advertisement for a south east asian company (which will never be seen here).
Quote:
There are some good yarns in there - but films must do more than be a good yarn to justify a lot of tax payer subsidy. South Australia has limited public funds, so it is not good enough to stroke Mike Rann's inflated opinion of himself by funding art house cinema that brings no return to SA taxpayers. There's got to also be a commercial focus.
SA has always punched above it's weight in Australian film but lacked international input. The biggest budget Bollywood film to date was filmed in Adelaide in the last 12 months so that's a decent start. Love Story 2050. Stars former Miss World Priyanka Chopra, hotness! The city looks great in the movie too. They also filmed in Kangaroo Island, the Flinders Ranges and Lake Eyre. Massive exposure in India and sh1tloads of foreign money spent around SA. Another few Bollywood movies on the way after winter too apparently.

Funnily enough, Mike Rann had an acting part. If you own some earplugs and have 5 minutes of your life to waste check out the clip with the song and try to spot him.

Movie preview

Mike Rann's Bollywood debut
Colonel Light no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #30
DrDan
Melburnaholic

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Light View Post
Funnily enough, Mike Rann had an acting part.
haha, that's hilarious.
Good to see Adelaide features so much in the movie. Some great shots of the city there.
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #31
Cruise
Crazy young doge man

Likes (Received): 715

Bad boy bubby is awesome
Old July 27th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #32
AtD

Likes (Received): 241

******* hell... it's not every day you're watching a Bollywood movie and your bus goes past in the background!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowsim View Post
Yes, thank you!

And why does it not surprise me that ad was from Melbourne? It's basically a portrait of Melbourne!
AtD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #33
JVogt

Likes (Received): 0

tic, with respect, I think you were being a bit too defensive. Alphaville is just making some valid and interesting observations.
Old July 28th, 2008, 04:47 AM   #34
Burden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisbaner21 View Post
That tecnically isnt a commercial, That particular youtube account does all major cities, like Cairns, Townsville, Mackay etc.

Townsville is a picture of exactly the kind of diverse, dynamic regional economy that will power Australia's passage through the years ahead.
Treasurer Wayne Swan
Burden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 05:00 AM   #35
JayT
Like whatever....

Likes (Received): 489

Quote:
How does the Story Bridge look like Europe? It's... a bridge. Pretty global...
Not the Story Bridge - the Pine Plantations north of Brisbane - they can look quite European which is why car commercials are often filmed there.

I think most adverts and movies filmed in Australia wouldn't be seen here - more likely Asia & India. Brisbane streets always seem to be closed for movie shooting - especially on weekends. There was an interesting one a few weeks ago which involved many Indian style dancers taking over the street. I stopped and watched for a few minutes while on my Sunday arvo walk

J

Last edited by JayT; July 28th, 2008 at 05:05 AM.
JayT está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #36
NCC1701D

Likes (Received): 10

Nestle Allen's Lollies "Makes Smiles" (Brisbane street shots and views)

Last edited by NCC1701D; June 7th, 2009 at 10:49 AM.
NCC1701D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #37
Danubis
Poo in BigW

Likes (Received): 1696

yes, but can she do everything babyborn can??!
Danubis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 03:11 AM   #38
JayT
Like whatever....

Likes (Received): 489

Awe how cute.
Old June 8th, 2009, 03:54 AM   #39
tic

Nice ad. Gotta love the Allen's snakes.