search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #1
JayT
Like whatever....

Likes (Received): 999

GOLD COAST General public transport thread (including Light Rail)

I'm surprised there is no thread about this.

Quote:
Gold Coast City Council and the Queensland Government are currently working in partnership on the development of a rapid transit system for Gold Coast City. The Queensland Government has committed $550 million with further financial support for the project likely to be provided by Gold Coast Council and possibly by the private sector.

The Gold Coast Rapid Transit will provide a high quality public transport link in two stages from the Gold Coast rail line at either Helensvale or Parkwood to Griffith University and Southport, Surfers Paradise, Broadbeach, and ultimately the Gold Coast Airport and Coolangatta.

The Gold Coast Rapid Transit will provide many significant benefits for the Gold Coast including:

faster travel times between centres on a dedicated corridor avoiding congestion and traffic hazards
improved reliability through consistent trip times
frequent services linking the heart of the city and major destinations like hospitals, shopping centres and universities. Additional bus services will also operate from the rapid transit corridor to other areas of the city
moving more people more efficiently - the system will carry larger numbers of people than current public transport services are able to
the system will enhance the image of the Gold Coast as a tourist destination and support ongoing activity along the corridor

Quote:
The Queensland Government, through TransLink, has committed $600 million to deliver the proposed Gold Coast Rapid Transit System.

The new system will provide a link from the Gold Coast rail line at Helensvale to Griffith University and the busy centres of Southport, Surfers Paradise, Broadbeach, the Gold Coast Airport, and ultimately to Coolangatta town centre.

Detailed planning for this project is now underway. TransLink will work closely with the Gold Coast City Council and local communities to deliver the best possible public transport system for the city.

Over the coming months, TransLink and Gold Coast City Council will prepare a Concept Design and Impact Management Plan (CDIMP). The purpose of this detailed planning is to determine which mode and alignment best serves the local community, while also providing value for money.

Consultation with the local community, public transport users and other stakeholders will be a key factor in helping us select a preferred system and alignment. Throughout 2007, there will be opportunities for the local community to provide input to the planning process.

The proposed timeline for the next 12 months:
http://www.translink.com.au/qt/trans...c_rapidtransit

Quote:
the rapid transit route

The Gold Coast Rapid Transit system will ultimately link Helensvale to Coolangatta passing through the busy centres of Southport, Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach.

The project is being planned in two stages. Stage 1 will link Helensvale to Broadbeach. Stage 2 will complete the link from Broadbeach to Coolangatta and is expected to be completed by 2015.

Our first newsletter gave more details on the route options for sections one and two, between Helensvale and Southport.

Our latest newsletter provides details on the route for section three from Southport to Broadbeach.

In order to take into account the different geographical challenges over approx. 40km of RTS route, Stage 1 has been broken down into three sections - Helensvale to Griffith University, Griffith University to Southport and Southport to Broadbeach.
J
JayT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #2
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3252

If the people who know what they are talking about get their way, it'll be light rail. If money, the chamber of commerce and other things get in the way it will be bus rapid transit.

Please may John Mickle (the minister for transport and a supporter of the bus rapid transit) see the light!
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #3
Qantas743
Proud Victorian!

Likes (Received): 698

Excuse my ignorance but is this "light rail" "rapid transit system" the same as trams?
Qantas743 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 02:39 AM   #4
JayT
Like whatever....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qantas743 View Post
Excuse my ignorance but is this "light rail" "rapid transit system" the same as trams?

Yes - basically they are looking into a tram system for Gold Coast.

J
Old October 16th, 2007, 04:49 AM   #5
hmmm
hmmm

Likes (Received): 0

The differance is that trams share road space with cars wheras light rail doesn't. The Gold Coast system would (i think) be light rail.
hmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #6
Qantas743
Proud Victorian!

Likes (Received): 698

Does GC really need it?

Heavy rail would be a much better option IMO.
Qantas743 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #7
JayT
Like whatever....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qantas743 View Post
Does GC really need it?

Heavy rail would be a much better option IMO.

There is heavy rail currently running through the Western Suburbs which will eventually connect to Coolangatta. Its an extension of Brisbane suburban rail.

Light rail is needed along the coastal strip as its now one of the most densly populated areas in Australia.

J
Old October 16th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #8
Danubis
i've changed my mind

Likes (Received): 2413

why cant they just make it heavy rail, have it above ground through griffith and southport, build a new bridge over the broadwater, then build it underground following the gold coast hightway through surfers to miami/buileigh heads, then work out how to reconnect it to the main gold coast train line?

cost a bit to rip up the road and put a train line in, but not nearly as much as resuming land through that area lol :P
Danubis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #9
beastjim
Maglev Believer

Likes (Received): 3

Well both Light Rail and Heavy Rail require space to operate in. However Light Rail requires significantly less space then Heavy Rail especially at stations. Light Rail also has the promise of very high frequencies over large amounts of capacity at lesser intervals. Light Rail is the right option for the project, however the main critic of the project has been the mayor of the Gold Coast - Ron Clarke. The faster GC gets rid of him the better IMHO.

As for the difference between trams and Light Rail. Very little exists. I would say that Light Rail implies wheel chair accessible with there actually being little platforms for where the LRV (light rail vehicle) stops. Where as a tram is a high floor contraption that is more like a bus and just uses a corner for where to stop. Both modes can have dedicated paths or shared paths with vehicles.

Heavy Rail would maybe work as a spur off the current heavy rail line towards Southport and Surfers Paradise. However very expensive and would have to be underground for most it.
beastjim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:20 AM   #10
BroadGauge
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastjim View Post
I would say that Light Rail implies wheel chair accessible with there actually being little platforms for where the LRV (light rail vehicle) stops. Where as a tram is a high floor contraption that is more like a bus and just uses a corner for where to stop. Both modes can have dedicated paths or shared paths with vehicles.
Melbourne has now upgraded some normal tram routes to have platforms for wheelchairs (at major stops) and low floor vehicles. Would they be considered a tram line or a light rail line?
BroadGauge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #11
BRIZZIE BOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danubis View Post
why cant they just make it heavy rail, have it above ground through griffith and southport, build a new bridge over the broadwater, then build it underground following the gold coast hightway through surfers to miami/buileigh heads, then work out how to reconnect it to the main gold coast train line?

cost a bit to rip up the road and put a train line in, but not nearly as much as resuming land through that area lol :P
Great idea but, they can't build tunnels at the Gold Coast as surfers paradise is all sand Underground rail is not an option.
BRIZZIE BOY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #12
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3252

I like to think of the difference between trams and lightrail as such:

Trams - Looks like a bus turned into a train.
Light Rail - Looks like a shrunken train.

Other than that I wouldn't know.
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #13
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Likes (Received): 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBrissy View Post
I like to think of the difference between trams and lightrail as such:

Trams - Looks like a bus turned into a train.
Light Rail - Looks like a shrunken train.

Other than that I wouldn't know.
No difference, just words. Can either run in reservation or on road. I prefer trams because that's what the vehicles are.

Heck the Gold Coast needs something like this, went there recently for first time since 1960s. What a mess! Talk about car-oriented waiting for the next energy crisis!
historyworks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #14
eastadl

Likes (Received): 346

as far as i know, light rail is simply trams that run on 'right of way' railway lines, but when they get to the city centre, they then travel down the streets to get people closer to their destinations.
We have some perfect examples in Aust - Adelaides Glenelg tramline, Melbournes St Kilda & Port Melb tramlines, and the Sydney Lilyfield tram thing.
eastadl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #15
beastjim
Maglev Believer

Well there is probably one major difference between Trams & Light Rail: Age. Trams are old and Light Rail is new, its all about perceptions. Light Rail is really just a jazzed up version of trams that probably originated in the USA somewhere as a way to sell reinstating trams. So Melbourne is really in a state of transition between what could be classed at Light Rail and Trams, but they are the same thing.

I think I am confusing myself really.

Back to the topic, the Gold Coast has to be the car capital of Australia, and a bus system isn't going to change this. Look at LA, as a comparison of what should be done, Light Rail has really boomed over there, and I think it will on the Gold Coast as well.
beastjim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #16
BroadGauge
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Nothing could save LA. It's too far gone

Light rail on the gold coast sounds great - bring it on!
BroadGauge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #17
Joelby
dink!

Likes (Received): 460

I thought by nature much of the Gold Coast around the Highway is just sand, which would make it a bit prohibitive for any underground system??

I think trams are the way to go. It'll be a bit more tourist friendly and visible, and definitely add to the atmosphere of the place...
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #18
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Likes (Received): 313

Of course there was a railway to Southport and Coolangatta but it was dug up in the geneal obscene rush of redevelopment. The GC motorway is roughly built on top of the railway (the present new railway had to be built alongside) while the Southport branch easement has been pretty much lost to redevelopment.

http://www.petan.net/railway/sthcoast.htm

I think the tramway would pretty much be on street on the coastal strip because the development is so intense there wouldn't be much opportunity for a separate reservation. The secret would be to plan the roads for the trams (greater stop distances, restricted traffic lanes and turns, removal of kerbside parking) like in European cities rather than repeat Melbourne's mess in certain inner areas where the trams get caught up in general traffic, parked cars etc and are very slow as a result. It is important for the service to be fast to make it attractive, especially over such distances. Prague tram system a good model to look at, probably best in Europe with trams running at up to 80kph.
historyworks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #19
dallas

Likes (Received): 549

I would have thought that the best thing for GC would have been to have an underground metro system, running from Tweed, stop at the airport and then up to Robina, which is where the line from Brisbane comes in right?
dallas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #20
Macca-GC

Likes (Received): 85

There will be a train line(not underground) from Coolangatta Airport to Robina and then onto Brisbane, with stations at Tugun, Elanora, Tallebudgerra, Varsity Lakes and then Robina.

You can see it on the map on further up on the page.

An underground line running north under the GC hwy from Coolangatta to Burleigh and then heading west to Robina would not be good because it misses the major tourist centres.
Macca-GC no está en línea   Reply With Quote