daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 18th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #1
marki
Moon Transit

Likes (Received): 700

BRISBANE: General public transport thread

Part 1
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=447587

-----------------------------------------------------------

New cashless buses heavily guarded
Brisbane Times, April 17, 2010
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...0417-sl06.html

Brisbane's first 24 hour cashless bus service that takes in Fortitude Valley's nightclub precinct, is heavily guarded for passenger safety.

The CityGlider service started on Monday and runs 18 hours a day, Sunday to Thursday, between 5.30am and 11.30pm and every 15 minutes around the clock on weekends.

Transport Minster Rachel Nolan said today the buses were equipped with the latest CCTV technology and had extra guards so passenger could feel safe about travelling late a night.

"There is actually three levels of security protection," Ms Nolan said.

"First, we already employ a network of Translink transit officers and their hours will be extended to protect late night bus shelters and be around bus stops to manage crowds and make sure people have a 'Go' card.

"In addition to the transit officers, we'll employ specific security guards .... and police are always on hand.

"Both the security officers and transit officers have a direct line with police."

She was uncertain if the bus stops would be in line-of-sight for guards who patrol conga lines waiting for taxis in the early hours. "The bus stops are about 800m apart (in the Valley)," she said. "There won't be the same people doing both, in that we do employ security guards for cab ranks."The way it works is that the State has put a levy on the cab companies and they employ security guards."

Ms Nolan said the CityGlider service would complement taxis and make it easier for people to vacate the Valley.

"I think it will relieve pressure on the cab queues," she said.

"We already have NightLink bus services, but this is much more frequent."

AAP

Last edited by crawf; April 27th, 2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: New thread
marki no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2010, 02:04 AM   #2
yuma

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
[SIZE="4"]"We already have NightLink bus services, but this is much more frequent."
This is the one thing im definately looking forward to, using this when I go out drinking. They currently have the nightlink, but waiting for upto an hour to catch a bus home is crap and usually resorts in me catching a cab or walking home. 15 minute frequency early morning will be great and will definately help get those out of the city faster that want to go home.
yuma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 02:59 AM   #3
joninbrisbane
The Delivery Guy

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninbrisbane View Post
Event nameSteam train services

DatesMonday, 19 April to Wednesday, 21 April 2010

Ipswich/Shorncliffe Start 9.00am Finish 2.30pm

The trains will depart Ipswich station at 9.12am, stopping all stations to arrive at Central station 10.34am. They will then continue all stops to Shorncliffe, arriving at 11.20am.

The return train will depart Shorncliffe station at 12.18pm, stopping all stations to Central station. They will depart Central Station at 1.03pm, terminating at Ipswich at 2.24pm.

These three special services, one each day from Monday 19 April to Wednesday 21 April, are part of a training school to skill up current electric passenger train drivers to become qualified steam train drivers.
There are no special conditions to travel; passengers only require a valid ticket or go card to board.

http://www.translink.com.au/event.php?id=187
The loco will be 1089. Anyone going to see this today?
joninbrisbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #4
brisbanite

Likes (Received): 451

Quote:
The loco will be 1089. Anyone going to see this today?
Had a ride on it today to Sandgate, they used the old stainless steel carriages. A lot of bemused people not only on the platforms but in backyards as well.
brisbanite está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #5
joninbrisbane
The Delivery Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisbanite View Post
Had a ride on it today to Sandgate, they used the old stainless steel carriages. A lot of bemused people not only on the platforms but in backyards as well.
Looking forward to the bemused looks. Will be going out to Ipswich to catch back into the city tomorrow
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #6
marki
Moon Transit

Some steam train images from today (Monday):

East Ipswich

Loco was the 1089, at Goodna

But the carriages were not old enough

Roma St

Bewildered passengers

Shorncliffe arrival, Channel 9 and 10 news camera was here

Engine turning in Golf Course ... add to state budget - Shorncliffe really needs a lawn mower!

Shunting in front

Bring the train back to platform

Eagle Junction

Old and New

Displays were useless, confusing.

Inside (approaching Ipswich the train becomes empty)

Really good, and nice to take pictures out the windows, that arent dirty like the Citytrain ones. Just remember not to stick your head, arms or camera out the window, they dont like it.

Too much time alone on ur keyboard ... Lets meetup instead
Old April 20th, 2010, 02:33 AM   #7
brisbanite

Good pics there Marki! Talking about displays were useless and confusing, I took my little daughter for the trip and when boarding at Sandgate for the return trip, the display said the train was leaving platform 1 but as it was pulling into Sandgate station the station staff decided to let everyone know it was actually platform 2 which resulted in a mad dash for everyone over the overbridge. I had a pram, a little girl and a bag to carry but several older people struggled and the train had to wait, very poor form by the station staff as they would have known a citytrain was due in at the same time and I let them know about it out the window.
Old April 20th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #8
joninbrisbane
The Delivery Guy

Well, not to flood this thread with too many pictures...

Last edited by joninbrisbane; April 20th, 2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old April 20th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #9
joninbrisbane
The Delivery Guy

Quote:
Good pics there Marki! Talking about displays were useless and confusing, I took my little daughter for the trip and when boarding at Sandgate for the return trip, the display said the train was leaving platform 1 but as it was pulling into Sandgate station the station staff decided to let everyone know it was actually platform 2 which resulted in a mad dash for everyone over the overbridge. I had a pram, a little girl and a bag to carry but several older people struggled and the train had to wait, very poor form by the station staff as they would have known a citytrain was due in at the same time and I let them know about it out the window.
Today all the displays were showing Shorncliffe. Which was helpful, although people were still reluctant to get on...
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #10
BrizzyChris

Likes (Received): 1179

I don't get it, is this going to be a regular service?!
BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #11
joninbrisbane
The Delivery Guy

Monday, Today and Tomorrow only.
Old April 20th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #12
Aussie Bhoy

Likes (Received): 7693

Thanks for the pictures guys.

They should do this regularly, the looks of passengers on the TV news seeing the steam train arrive instead of their normal electric was hilarious.
Aussie Bhoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #13
marki
Moon Transit

Quote:
Yes, I saw the people running over the footbridge and was wondering, at the time, why they didnt give themselves more time to catch the train. There were some elderly people who had trouble getting down, and the train lost about 3 minutes.

Quote:
Well, not to flood this thread with too many pictures...
Nice pictures also, the more pictures the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Bhoy View Post
Thanks for the pictures guys.

They should do this regularly, the looks of passengers on the TV news seeing the steam train arrive instead of their normal electric was hilarious.
Yes, they could do it more regularly. I like the fact that it was possible to travel on normal tickets, although I paid $11 for an off peak from Ipswich, those on weekly tickets wouldn't have paid anything extra.

They didn't promote it, i suppose thats why there were fewer passengers, but perhaps done because it was for training and provided a more relaxed atmosphere.

It was also funny seeing all the people taking photos from their backyards and from construction sites. For many, it seems the first they heard of it was the choo choo sound coming their way. Some stunned passengers on platforms needed a lot of convincing that it was indeed ok to get on it.

I suggested that the train should have gone to Brisbane Airport and provide a regualr service. It would be a real hit with arriving passengers, impress tourists and its faster than the Airtrain.

Old April 21st, 2010, 01:12 AM   #14
Max Headway
Thought-criminal

Likes (Received): 19

image hosted on flickr

Source

Quote:
They didn't promote it, i suppose thats why there were fewer passengers, but perhaps done because it was for training and provided a more relaxed atmosphere.
The train was quite popular yesterday (Tuesday). Apparently a lot of people weren't aware these steam service were running until they watched the news last night.

Last edited by Max Headway; April 21st, 2010 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Fixing up a spelling mistake I overlooked
Max Headway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 02:18 AM   #15
crazyknightsfan
derp

Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Likes (Received): 2181

Quote:
I suggested that the train should have gone to Brisbane Airport and provide a regualr service. It would be a real hit with arriving passengers, impress tourists and its faster than the Airtrain.
Not sure that terminating facilities at the Airport would facilitate loco-hauled trains?
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:55 AM   #16
Aussie Bhoy

Likes (Received): 7693

I remember those silver SX train carriages when they were in general use prior to the electrics taking over totally in the 80's/90's. In fact I even remember the red wooden carriages that were still used on mostly southside trains in the 70's/80's.

The silver carriages were meant to be part of Brisbane's "new" electric system in the 50's, but the government changed in 1957 and the new government cancelled the plans, but still had the already ordered carriages so used them towed by steam and diesel locos.

80's

Aussie Bhoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:02 AM   #17
beastjim
Maglev Believer

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyknightsfan View Post
Not sure that terminating facilities at the Airport would facilitate loco-hauled trains?
Certainly not possible.

I actually think it would send the wrong message to new arriving passengers who are paying a premium. Welcome to Brisbane, Australia's New World City, Please pay us $14 to ride in carriages from the 1950's hauled by a steam loco. I doubt it would be faster either.
'eat something greasy and have a wank'.
beastjim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:34 AM   #18
brisbanite

Quote:

That wasn't the case today! I caught the train from Taringa to Banyo and it was packed to the rafters the whole journey.
Old April 21st, 2010, 01:34 PM   #19
Bundynelle

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
That wasn't the case today! I caught the train from Taringa to Banyo and it was packed to the rafters the whole journey.
Totally agree. I took my 3yo along for his first steam train ride, between Roma St and Northgate, and we couldn't get near a window at all as it was standing room only. We thought most people would get off at Central but not that many got off at all. Thankfully a lady felt sorry for my toddler and she let us sit by the window.

My hubby works in QR had no idea they were doing this steam train run until yesterday and he normally knows about these things way in advance. I found out Monday night via the news bulletins. Also on the train I had a QR media rep standing near me and he told an ABC journo that on Monday "we had 4 passengers board a standard electric at Ipswich whilst 100+ boarded the nearby Steam Train".
Bundynelle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 02:49 PM   #20
marki
Moon Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastjim View Post
Certainly not possible.

I actually think it would send the wrong message to new arriving passengers who are paying a premium. Welcome to Brisbane, Australia's New World City, Please pay us $14 to ride in carriages from the 1950's hauled by a steam loco. I doubt it would be faster either.
I forgot about that. But its possible, just need an elevated turntable or loop, more expensive ... and obviously something rather more easy at ground level.

Not to replace the Airtrain but supplement it a couple times a day or week to provide a novel experience. A bit like a stonehenge idea in Esperance but a lot less remote.

Besides, the current message to arriving passengers is:

Welcome to Brisbane, Australia's New World City (whatever thats supposed to mean), Please pay us $14 (plus a heck lot more to your destination) to ride in commutter carriages travelling at walking pace over a scary viaduct with a unexplained 7 minute wait after Eagle Jcn, followed by what seems to be an overnight train to the Gold Coast... but dont bother arriving after 6pm, even if so many flights do, because the train along with the city seems to shut down and then need to take a grumpy taxi to Toombull or the city via Sandgate, or change 5 more times (what? no metro?), or if youre lucky theres a Coachtrans, or private shuttle to Surfers but only if you book it 2 days earlier.

Then again.. it just wouldn't feel right if people actually had a good time getting to/from the airport.

Last edited by marki; April 21st, 2010 at 02:55 PM.

Tags
brisbane, busway, ferry, queensland, rail, trains, transport, underground