search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 20th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #2281
Samuel77
Decisive Fencesitter

Likes (Received): 2195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel77 View Post
the faster trams are 'G-whiz.'

I will shake my own head at my poor attempt.
Mustn't have been that bad a joke: ABC News

Or maybe that give it less credit.
Samuel77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #2282
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

A friend posted this on Bookface last night. I was surprised to see how the tram tracks are taking one side of the road, with cars taking the other. I don't think I've ever seen this layout before.

Dimethyltryptamine liked this post
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #2283
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6409

I think that Surfers Paradise Boulevard is going to be just 1 way?
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #2284
DAJAN

Likes (Received): 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
I think that Surfers Paradise Boulevard is going to be just 1 way?
Mainly one way, but a couple of few very short two way stretches.
(see sheet 49 and sheet 52 on this PDF map)

http://www.goldlinq.com.au/workspace...t-50887289.pdf

Dimethyltryptamine liked this post
DAJAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #2285
John Baxter

Likes (Received): 50

No way is sheet 49 correct - live traffic wont be sharing the tracks with live trams.

I see that is from the Tender Reference design back in 2010 - my money is on that has changed.
John Baxter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #2286
zoomwhoosh

Likes (Received): 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJAN View Post
Mainly one way, but a couple of few very short two way stretches.
(see sheet 49 and sheet 52 on this PDF map)

http://www.goldlinq.com.au/workspace...t-50887289.pdf
That's a bit confusing. There's a "tram only" painted in red near the corner, but around the corner the arrows allow a left turn.

My best guess is this is a driveway access only thing.

Well that's fun. Now the Godlinq site gives "bandwidth exceeded".

Last edited by zoomwhoosh; September 21st, 2013 at 11:22 AM.
zoomwhoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 02:32 AM   #2287
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Likes (Received): 1635

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Baxter View Post
No way is sheet 49 correct - live traffic wont be sharing the tracks with live trams.

I see that is from the Tender Reference design back in 2010 - my money is on that has changed.
Unless you work at McConnell Dowall or somewhere else on the project and have first hand knowledge of a recent change you are wrong.

Victor P. Taffa
SurfRail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 03:38 AM   #2288
John Baxter

Likes (Received): 50

And your PROOF is what?
John Baxter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 03:58 AM   #2289
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

^ Well,

a) It is what the project maps show.

b) More importantly, my contacts who DO work on the project say so. Hence, unless you know better than them (ie you are working on it), I prefer their regular updates and advice to your guesses.

Shared running WILL occur northbound between Elkhorn and Cypress. This was actually a change to the original position where they were planning on no shared running here. (Pre 2008/9 when the Cypress Ave dog leg was still on the route, that would also have been shared.)

Victor P. Taffa

Map Born liked this post
Old September 21st, 2013, 11:27 AM   #2290
zoomwhoosh

Likes (Received): 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfRail View Post
^ Well,

a) It is what the project maps show.

b) More importantly, my contacts who DO work on the project say so. Hence, unless you know better than them (ie you are working on it), I prefer their regular updates and advice to your guesses.

Shared running WILL occur northbound between Elkhorn and Cypress. This was actually a change to the original position where they were planning on no shared running here. (Pre 2008/9 when the Cypress Ave dog leg was still on the route, that would also have been shared.)
Am I wrong in thinking that that shared access is only for local access to driveways and not for general traffic?

The thing is the pdf showed clearly the words "tram only" painted on the road, for a section left of the intersection. So presumably there would be a further sign sign "excepting local driveways". If it were for general traffic you'd think there would be no "tram only" painted on the road.
zoomwhoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 11:50 AM   #2291
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

It's only meant to be left turns from Elkhorn eastbound (possibly also right turns from the opposite direction), and all traffic will have to turn left onto Cypress from the shared lane.

It is only meant to be for local access because the driveways just happen to be on that side of the road and it would be a significant detour to only allow access from the southbound lane.

There are a number of driveways in Surfers and the surrounds where you can cross the track but this is the only spot where you drive along it.

Victor P. Taffa
Old September 22nd, 2013, 02:20 AM   #2292
Map Born

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomwhoosh View Post
Well that's fun. Now the Godlinq site gives "bandwidth exceeded".
Hilarious, cheap hosting, caught out!

Surfrail is correct.
Map Born no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:59 AM   #2293
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 9042

Actually, the outage might have been due to an upgrade to the webpage going live. It now features the G:Link logo and a new design overall I'm pretty certain.

Quote:
It is only meant to be for local access because the driveways just happen to be on that side of the road and it would be a significant detour to only allow access from the southbound lane.

There are a number of driveways in Surfers and the surrounds where you can cross the track but this is the only spot where you drive along it.
I'm hoping that eventual redevelopment of all the buildings along that stretch (except for the Clock Hotel) will occur, which would allow the shared zone to be closed to cars.

SurfRail liked this post
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:53 AM   #2294
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandavid88 View Post
Actually, the outage might have been due to an upgrade to the webpage going live. It now features the G:Link logo and a new design overall I'm pretty certain.

I'm hoping that eventual redevelopment of all the buildings along that stretch (except for the Clock Hotel) will occur, which would allow the shared zone to be closed to cars.
The ideal outcome for me would be for somebody to acquire the entire site between The Clock Hotel and the car park and put something decent on it as one project.

GCCC planning indicates that the Cypress Ave car park should be greenspace, which is something that is sorely needed in Surfers, moreso than just another retail podium and apartment block. There is the park on top of the transit centre but virtually nobody knows about it, and it is fairly dead.

We also need to start seeing more office space in Surfers.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:06 PM   #2295
Map Born

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
The ideal outcome for me would be for somebody to acquire the entire site between The Clock Hotel and the car park and put something decent on it as one project.

GCCC planning indicates that the Cypress Ave car park should be greenspace, which is something that is sorely needed in Surfers, moreso than just another retail podium and apartment block. There is the park on top of the transit centre but virtually nobody knows about it, and it is fairly dead.

We also need to start seeing more office space in Surfers.
Great comments/ideas.

The problem with the Neal Shannon Park is that it is poorly connected with the surrounding areas. It probably needs one of those 'placemakers' to report to council on how to better connect the park with its surroundings. Access is poor due to the transit centre and car park driveway.

Cypress Av car park as a park would be great.

Council candidates with any nous for Division 7 would be well advised to try this.
Map Born no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #2296
OneMelbGuy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 82

Via Twitter:

Quote:
ABC Gold Coast just reported that part of Gold Linq light rail track at Southport may need to be pulled up and relaid.
Anyone have more details? Shades of the Edinburgh tram project debacle. They've dug up and relaid some track areas twice.
OneMelbGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 05:52 AM   #2297
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6409

It would be nice to know who this was reported to. I can't find any trace of it online.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 01:53 AM   #2298
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 9042

I've searched both the ABC News/ABC Gold Coast pages and Google News, and I can't see any stories to this nature either. The Gold Coast Bulletin hasn't picked up on it yet either, and considering it would be the type of story they'd delight in reporting I'm calling BS on it for the moment.
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 04:24 AM   #2299
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Sadly our tour for tomorrow has been a bit delayed for various reasons, we are hoping to reschedule for late October. KDR is currently moving into the depot and the trams are nearly 100% busy with testing, so we will have a better chance of seeing more up close then (and more of it will be finished).
Old September 26th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #2300
OneMelbGuy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
the trams are nearly 100% busy with testing
How busy can one be flicking an ON/OFF switch? And 7 months of testing for something that only has to go 13km on rails? Seriously? Here's the pedal, here's the brake. Nice work if you can get it.
OneMelbGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote