daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #281
crazyknightsfan
derp

Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Likes (Received): 2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyworks View Post
Isn't it a bit odd completing sections 2 and 3 of stage one before section 1, the bit that actually connects from the railway?
Only if you assume that GCRT exists to transport people to/from Brisbane rather than transport them within the Gold OCast itself.
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #282
TOCC

Likes (Received): 2596

where is the depot going to be but? i would have thought it would be near the railway station, land is at a bit of a premium closer to Southport and Surfers
TOCC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 05:53 AM   #283
beastjim
Maglev Believer

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
where is the depot going to be but?
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...38624&t=h&z=15 Around this location just south of Smith Street.

Timeline for implementation from the CDIMP:
Highest Priority (needed by 2011) - Sections 2 & 3, Griffith Uni to Broadbeach
High Priority (needed by 2021 - 2026) - Section 4 - Broadbeach to Burleigh Heads & Section 1 - Helensvale to Griffith Uni
Future Stages (needed by 2026-2041) - Section 5 - Burliegh Heads to Coolangatta & Other Future Stages.

The connection to Helensvale is important not just for the Train Line connection but the number of people moving into the area. It is becoming another hub sorta region of the Gold Coast (albeit not quite as big as say Robina, but important none the less).
To deny these people because some people might choose to live on the Gold Coast and then transit to Brisbane ain't fair chop. Plenty, if not more traffic, will head the other way on weekends and school holidays as half of Brisbane's teen age population heads to the coast for the beach.
beastjim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #284
joninbrisbane
The Delivery Guy

Likes (Received): 23

double post
joninbrisbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #285
joninbrisbane
The Delivery Guy

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translink CDIMP
So with this said, is there a start date for construction mentioned?
joninbrisbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #286
TOCC

I think it would be a little silly to think that a major focus of the Light Rail project wasnt there to support the Brisbane-Gold Coast traffic. This is hardly a bad thing though, at first that will be one of the major contributing demographics, but it will change quickly once people of the Gold Coast actually realise that it is a usefull piece of infastructure, and once it gets extended further.
Old November 10th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #287
brisbanite

Likes (Received): 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastjim View Post
Timeline for implementation from the CDIMP:
High Priority (needed by 2021 - 2026) - Section 4 - Broadbeach to Burleigh Heads & Section 1 - Helensvale to Griffith Uni
Future Stages (needed by 2026-2041) - Section 5 - Burliegh Heads to Coolangatta & Other Future Stages.
That seem's ridiculous not having this section as part of the initial construction. I suppose they will still have a bus service to Surfers but it defeats the purpose. When I have caught the train to the coast I have used the bus from Helensvale and return.
brisbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #288
beastjim
Maglev Believer

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translink Website
Activity Timing
Community review of the draft CDIMP October - November 2008
Queensland Government confirmation of business case recommendations Early - mid 2009
Construction of sections two and three to start 2011
Scheduled completion of sections two and three 2013
Unfortunately, even with the CDIMP basically saying build it now, it is not planned to be operational until 2013 (June IIRC). That date seems to get pushed back every few months as well. I think the Helensvale leg is wanted but the GCCC and State Government just don't want to stamp up the money for it just yet. It will get their one day.
beastjim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #289
crazyknightsfan
derp

Assuming GCRT has been planned and committed to on sound transport planning principles, it is being built to unconstrain capacity on existing public transport services. Thus, it makes sense to build the section which has the highest patronage first - i.e. Broadbeach to Southport.
Old November 10th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #290
BSD

Likes (Received): 253

My friend told me about Varasity Lakes to Coolangatta Airport rail should start next year???
BSD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #291
TOCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSD View Post
My friend told me about Varasity Lakes to Coolangatta Airport rail should start next year???
no, it hasnt being given the funding yet
Old November 10th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #292
Danubis
i've changed my mind

Likes (Received): 2441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca-GC View Post
The Gold Coast isn't getting a new childrens hospital. It is getting a new general hospital at Parklands $1.2 billion or something like that.
The new childrens hospital is in Brisbane, the Queensland Childrens hospital which is to be formed from a merger of the Royal Childrens Hospital and Mater Childrens Hospital. It's going to be built on Mater Hill
lol sorry for the late reply... but read whatever comment i was responding too, i wasn't saying gc was getting kids hospital. i was responding to a someone whinging that the gc should get one...
Danubis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #293
TOCC

construction update of Varstiy Lakes station

PDF update here as well
http://www.trackstar.com.au/images/s..._oct08_pdu.pdf

Last edited by TOCC; November 10th, 2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old November 10th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #294
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyknightsfan View Post
Only if you assume that GCRT exists to transport people to/from Brisbane rather than transport them within the Gold OCast itself.
Thanks Macca-GC.

ckf it will perform both functions.
Old November 10th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #295
crazyknightsfan
derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyworks View Post
ckf it will perform both functions.
I realise this
Old November 28th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #296
crazyknightsfan
derp

M1 Exit 73 works update...

Quote:
Minister for Main Roads and Local Government
The Honourable Warren Pitt
28/11/2008
Nerang South off-ramp opens to traffic

The first section of the upgraded Nerang South interchange on the Pacific Motorway (M1) is now officially open to motorists, Main Roads Minister Warren Pitt said today.

Mr Pitt said the new southbound off-ramp was part of the State Government's $45 million Nerang South interchange upgrade.

The completion of the project demonstrated the government's record in delivering road infrastructure, he said.

"The Bligh Government is a government of builders, delivering the roads that provide safer, more efficient and more convenient connections for Queenslanders," Mr Pitt said.

"It's Q2 at its smartest - to have our sights set firmly on the future of all Queenslanders. We're looking beyond the horizon, beyond the boom, by planning and building now."

Member for Mudgeeraba Dianne Reilly and Member for Gaven Phil Gray represented the Minister at an inspection of the completed project today.

Mrs Reilly said the off-ramp, which will connect with the upgraded Spencer Road, would improve safety and reduce queues onto the motorway at peak periods.

"Motorists will access the new southbound off-ramp 400 metres north of the current off-ramp," Mrs Reilly said.

"This means fewer vehicles waiting to getting on to the motorway, and those that are will be spending less time waiting."

Member for Gaven Phil Gray said the next stage of the Exit 73 project would see Hinkler Drive partially closed while it was upgraded and a new on-ramp constructed.

"The two roundabouts will then be converted to traffic signals to better manage the increasing traffic at this interchange," Mr Gray said.

"When completed, this upgrade will provide additional lanes across the motorway between Nielsens Road and Alexandra Drive."

The upgrade of Exit 73 is part of long-term project to upgrade the Pacific Motorway from Nerang to Varsity Lakes, along with the Coomera interchange.

Work at Nerang South started in February 2008 and is projected to be completed on schedule in July 2009.
Old November 29th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #297
Macca-GC

Likes (Received): 85

Technically work started at that interchange in like... 2004 or 2005 with the widening and extension of the northbound off-ramp which used to regularly back up onto the motorway. They finished that and then just stopped building until last year.
Macca-GC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:01 PM   #298
SM247
Citadis Rider

Likes (Received): 0

My first hand experience since the new off ramp opened is that it has done and will do nothing until they complete the M1 additional lanes. As Spencer Road southbound is just as clogged as the M1 from about 3:30pm to 5:30pm, it just moves the bottleneck back from the roundabout all the way back down Spencer Road - don't expect any miracles until the whole project is finished, when a definite improvement should be noticeable.
SM247 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:21 PM   #299
Macca-GC

Likes (Received): 85

Oh yeah, I agree entirely. I hate having to travel through that interchange in peak. It sucks. Mind you, the morning peak coming from Alexander Drive has gotten better since construction started. I do think there will be an enormous improvement once the whole project is finished. It was clear that one lane each way over the highway simply wasn't enough. We can only wait and see I suppose. As for traffic on the M1 itself, I can't see any improvements happening there for many years to come. That Nerang-Reedy Creek section really is the worst. I have many memories of crawling along that section on my way to and from high school. Also remember a few times where we had to take Robina Parkway because the M1 was closed. THAT SUCKS! Particularly with peak hour traffic at the Gooding Drive Roundabout.
Macca-GC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #300
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

I took this of the rail extension to Varsity Lakes at Robina on Nov 28.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
mandurahboyz