daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 10th, 2008, 02:40 AM   #301
TOCC

Likes (Received): 2604

looks like they have made it wide enough for 3 tracks
TOCC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2008, 04:54 AM   #302
Macca-GC

Likes (Received): 85

Well it needs to be wide enough for 2 tracks, plus a service road. So that's probably where all the width is.
Macca-GC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 06:02 AM   #303
TOCC

yeah fair enough, at the moment they are only laying one track arent they?
Old December 10th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #304
Macca-GC

No, double track
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #305
trentthomson
Former Member

Likes (Received): 0

Once complete, after leaving the station the tracks will taper in at a gentler angle than present (to allow constant acceleration out of the station), hence the wider corridor. Plus of course room for the service road.

If this were in Brisbane they'd build the station on a bend and require trains to crawl in and out of the station... The Gold Coast stations are fantastic.
trentthomson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #306
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

What's the latest news on the Gold Coast Light Rail? From what I''ve heard about the GC's traffic, it seems they need it.

hopefully once it's constructed, medium-size Australian cities will start looking seriously at their own transport needs.
Old December 11th, 2008, 08:29 AM   #307
TOCC

the gold coast lightrail is in the stage of community review, i think it might have just finished..

But the business case should be released in Feb and then construction isnt expected to start until late 2010/early 2011
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #308
SM247
Citadis Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
What's the latest news on the Gold Coast Light Rail? From what I''ve heard about the GC's traffic, it seems they need it.
There are a few thousand pages worth of CDIMP documents, plans and maps at:

http://www.translink.qld.gov.au/qt/t...dtransit_cdimp
SM247 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #309
L2
Train to bintang land

Likes (Received): 446

Some Gold Coast PT observations from last week:

- The 140km/h running on the train south of Beenleigh is niice but pity about winding it's way through the suburbs up of there. It looked like some of the line is still single track.

- I found the passenger information at Burleigh Heads somewhat confusing for someone not familiar with the network (ie the many tourists!), ie the one list of times has all northbound buses but you must look up at the route numbers list to see which ones go to Southport and to Pacific Fair and also having say 700 and 706 is confusing as someone may wonder if they are different.

- Will be good to see light rail along this corridor eventually. The bus frequency is excellent and it seemed well utilised - who would have thought that you provide a good bus service and people actually use it!?

Surfers seemed rather tacky, not my favorite part of the GC. Had an annoying 17min wait for the 745 which took a while to reach Nerang - will the light rail be faster reaching Helensvale?

What I'm curious about is how many people actually live close-ish to the Gold Coast Hwy strip, ie the part that has good public transport? I presume most people live in typical suburban houses in suburbs further back, with a token half-hourly bus or similar.
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #310
l_blue_l

Likes (Received): 1

The light rail will be faster then the current bus network so i can only assume it would have been faster then the 745 you had to wait for. As for the amount of people that live along the Gold Coast hwy strip i cant given you number but as you would of seen for yourself the amount of high rise buildings along the strip and number of destination for those people to go to it has great potential. Though it is true most of the typical suburbs only get buses ever half hour with the introduction of the light rail system many routes will get an increased service to every 15 min in peak periods.

One last thing it is true there is a section of single track on the Gold Coast line this is planned to be duplicated in line with demand.
l_blue_l no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #311
Macca-GC

Services along the strip are excellent. I love using them. I agree with you whole heartedly that Pacific Fair lacks so much when it comes to providing decent PT service. It's just so confusing. There is no signage to say that this stop has northbound highway buses, this stop has southbound highway buses, inland buses, ect. There's only the timetables at each stop.

I hate the 745 service. I think of all services on the GC, that should run every 10 minutes from first to last service. It's so stupid, on weekends they actually run two buses for each service from Nerang Train Station to cater for train passengers. It would be so much better just to have them going every 10 minutes, which would help to move those passengers off the train and would also provide a better service to residents--something completely unfamiliar to Surfside buslines.

The vast majority of residents don't live near the strip, where there is decent PT provision, but with time the area with decent PT connections is gradually increasing(originally only Australia Fair-Burleigh, now Coolangatta-Runaway Bay, with decent frequencies out to Elanora, Robina and Helensvale).

I really can't wait for the Light Rail to come online. Seriously, it'll just totally revolutionise PT on the GC.
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #312
L2
Train to bintang land

Likes (Received): 446

That was a general flaw of Translink information that I noticed, and route maps don't seem overly common outside of BT areas.

For the 745, if the point of it is to feed the train running it every 10 mins would make little sense if the train is only half-hourly. Buses departing just after the train goes would be full and the others might only carry someone who missed the first coz they were on the loo. Same goes for the other way, people will plan to get the one that meets the train.

That doesn't mean that I think the 30 minute train frequency from the Gold Coast is adequate however but I don't know how much they could boost it without getting in the way of suburbans.

And of course people that want to catch the bus locally from along the road shouldn't have their service held back just cos the train feeder at one end is infrequent.

Would be nice to see a decent main road bus network into the sprawling GC suburbs - you'll even have a few excess vehicles to start off with once light rail is running . Canal estates don't help, nor do the masses of roundabouts near Robina.
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #313
TOCC

the Gold Coast light rail project is one of the projects shortlisted for possible funding on Kevin Rudds 'nation building' fund.

I think there is a strong possiblity it will get funded, i think Rudd will try to give each city a big ticket project and several other smaller ones.
Old December 21st, 2008, 12:20 AM   #314
Macca-GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
That was a general flaw of Translink information that I noticed, and route maps don't seem overly common outside of BT areas.

For the 745, if the point of it is to feed the train running it every 10 mins would make little sense if the train is only half-hourly. Buses departing just after the train goes would be full and the others might only carry someone who missed the first coz they were on the loo. Same goes for the other way, people will plan to get the one that meets the train.

That doesn't mean that I think the 30 minute train frequency from the Gold Coast is adequate however but I don't know how much they could boost it without getting in the way of suburbans.

And of course people that want to catch the bus locally from along the road shouldn't have their service held back just cos the train feeder at one end is infrequent.

Would be nice to see a decent main road bus network into the sprawling GC suburbs - you'll even have a few excess vehicles to start off with once light rail is running . Canal estates don't help, nor do the masses of roundabouts near Robina.
Well I think that really, there should be Brisbane-style BUZ routes from B'beach to Helensvale(via southport and Griffith--light rail route),
Surfers to Nerang(745) (via B'beach),
Robina to Main Beach(750)(via B'beach and Surfers),
Coolangatta-Southport(via B'beach and Surfers),
Elanora-Southport(via B'beach and Surfers)

5 BUZ routes isn't excessive. That should be the absolute minimum. There's still no shortage of other routes which could be explored as potential BUZ routes.
Old May 16th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #315
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

Likes (Received): 1533

So they got federal funding for the Gold Coast trams...er I mean light rail!

Quote:
Coast wins $365 million for light rail project

May 12th, 2009

THE Gold Coast has gained a major economic boost from the 2009 Federal Budget winning $365 million for the light rail project. The funding for the corridor was not expected to be approved following the tough economic times and drastic budget revenues falls. The $365 million for light rail corridor for the Gold Coast is part of a $22 billion infrastructure program announced in tonight's Budget. Gold Coast Mayor Ron Clarke said that the State Government would soon announce a public private partnership, after shortlisting three consortiums. "It is not a problem, it's as good as done. The State Government has already arranged it,'' said Cr Clarke. "This is great news and this should get the system all the way out to Harbour Town. Expect an announcement from the State Government on rapid transit.''

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...top-story.html
Was checking out the video renders - looks extremely cool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockvegas View Post
Gold Coast Rapid Transit - real-time visualisation

LRT (Light Rail Transit)
Gold Coast Rapid Transit - LRT Broadbeach

LRT (Light Rail Transit)
Gold Coast Rapid Transit - LRT Southport

Visit me on flickr
Oriolus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #316
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3420

I just hope they go for underground power. Unfortunately it looks like they are going for above ground wires.
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #317
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Will the tram Light Rail be connected to any rail stations (like Robina)?

Speaking of the stations, there seems to be quite a distance between them.

Great news for the Gold Coast. Can't wait to see some more detailed designs and some construction work.
Old May 16th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #318
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3420

Either Helensvale Rail Station or a new station at Parkwood. It will eventially connect at the south with the heavy rail station at Coolangatta Airport.
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #319
SM247
Citadis Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBrissy View Post
Either Helensvale Rail Station or a new station at Parkwood. It will eventially connect at the south with the heavy rail station at Coolangatta Airport.
The Parkwood station is no longer in consideration. It will either be Helensvale via Harbour Town or via a corridor mirroring the railway from Smith Street northwards. (Infill stations on the GC line are a long way off and they are now really only considering Hope Island and Merrimac, plus some north of Coomera.)

Until one of these northern legs is built, there will be a shunt at Griffith Uni at the intersection of Olsen Ave and Parklands Dr at the northeast corner of the intersection, opposite the bottlo/pub, in what is now the vast cleared area. Once the system is extended this would probably be used only for short shunting services (if there are to be any).

I don't think the CDIMP documents are available online any longer but the project office will send you a copy on request - details on their website.
SM247 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #320
Jesse24

Likes (Received): 418

I would love to see a loop between Helensvale and Coolagatta using these lines.

Tags
mandurahboyz