search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 12th, 2012, 03:53 AM   #1081
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 9042

Oh there is! The hardcore protesters generally live along/adjacent to the route, and want more roads, as they are sick of their BMWs getting stuck in traffic!
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2012, 04:50 AM   #1082
Macca-GC

Likes (Received): 85

They're not getting stuck in traffic. There's little if any traffic on the Gold Coast. It's just that they get stuck at 4 red lights and then start complaining!
Macca-GC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #1083
OneMelbGuy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 82

From the You Couldn't Make This Shit Up Dept: Condom seller lobbies for cancellation of project as construction will impact on his shop.

OneMelbGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #1084
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6405

Quote:
Surfers Paradise businessman Matthew O'Sullivan, the owner of Condom Kingdom, received the letter from the Premier after writing to him, asking for the project to be stopped.

Mr O'Sullivan said he was disappointed the project would not be halted, despite Mr Newman's concerns about the cost.

"We have lived through Surfers Paradise being a construction site for almost nine years, first with Circle on Cavill, then Soul and the Hilton," he said.

"People who have been here for 30 years haven't seen it this bad.
Could always **** off to some country town.... where little development happens and .... few people live. That would do wonders for his business (which will hopefully die!)
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #1085
Joelby
dink!

Likes (Received): 460

He's in for a treat with the Commonwealthy Games coming.
Old June 12th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #1086
crowd65

Likes (Received): 51

They have started to diging for the tracks to be laid in Queen Street today near where the station will be.
crowd65 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #1087
Dimethyltryptamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelby View Post
He's in for a treat with the Commonwealthy Games coming.
Yeah exactly! And the people he says who've lived here and have never seen it this bad? This is the biggest slump in construction on the GC I've ever witnessed (or at least that I remember)
Old June 12th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #1088
DAJAN

Likes (Received): 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMelbGuy View Post
From the You Couldn't Make This Shit Up Dept: Condom seller lobbies for cancellation of project as construction will impact on his shop.
Is he afraid that that if people use light rail instead of the car, they won't be able to park alongside the beach for a quickie, and this will affect his trade?
DAJAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #1089
SoulvisionQ1
New Urbanist

Likes (Received): 871

I hope his business does go bust. That Condom Kingdom place is an utter embarrassment and is why Surfers has such a tacky affiliation.
SoulvisionQ1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #1090
mw123

Likes (Received): 2655

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMelbGuy View Post
Wow, I can't believe that place is still there. I remember going on family holidays as a kid walking past and snickering at it. Anyway, I don't see how light rail is going to impact condom sales.
mw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #1091
nathandavid88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulvisionQ1 View Post
I hope his business does go bust. That Condom Kingdom place is an utter embarrassment and is why Surfers has such a tacky affiliation.
AMEN to that! I'm hoping that the Light Rail works might weed out the tacky shops that don't deserve to be in Surfers. Changing up the shops (in particular the quality of shops) particularly along the older part of Surfers Paradise Blvd would do a lot to help the area!
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:27 AM   #1092
Dimethyltryptamine

They're still digging up the surface (again!) along Queen street. Hopefully this time is the last time they do it... but they're certainly doing something, my entire house is shaking and rattling.
Old June 19th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #1093
DAJAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
They're still digging up the surface (again!) along Queen street. Hopefully this time is the last time they do it... but they're certainly doing something, my entire house is shaking and rattling.
Don't say that too loud! Mr. Condom King will use your words in his quest to stop the project!
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #1094
nathandavid88

Oh I love Shannon Willoughby! She knows exactly how big a thing Light Rail will be for the coast, and is one of it's most vocal advocates!

Quote:
Light rail will be a winner, says Adelaide

Shannon Willoughby, chief reporter | 12:01am June 20, 2012

A WHITE elephant, a tram to nowhere, dangerous and a waste of money.

No, these are not comments about the soon-to-be delivered $1 billion Gold Coast light rail project, but criticisms levelled at the Adelaide tram system before its $130 million extensions were built.

Now the trams are at capacity and residents are demanding more.

South Australian Transport Minister Patrick Conlon yesterday said the light rail project had dramatically changed the city's landscape.

Stretching 15km, with three million paid passenger journeys a year, the twice-extended system has sparked huge urban renewal.

Some examples include upgrades to the Adelaide Oval, a new $2 billion hospital, $50 million upgrade to the Adelaide Entertainment Centre, $350 million upgrade to the Adelaide Convention Centre and the development of the multimillion-dollar South Australian Health Medical Research Institute.

Mr Conlon also said major private development had increased along the light rail corridor with more residential buildings popping up.

But the State Government, led by then-premier Mike Rann and the tram line developers, copped "savage"criticism before it opened.

In recent months GoldLinQ, the developer and future operator of the Gold Coast light rail, has also been targeted.

Protesters have called it a waste of public money and demanded the project be stopped.

Mr Conlon said his team received similar flak -- until the trams were operational.

"Literally, every day we were targeted as the tram to nowhere, but as soon as it opened -- the day it started running -- they targeted the capacity," said Mr Conlon, the minister who delivered the two stages of the light rail system.

"The truth is people would protest about motherhood if it was happening for the first time.

"People who live here now want the trams to go past them. It has been great for land values."

He told the Gold Coast the city's tourists would fall in love with the tram system, which was similar in length and design to the one which runs through Adelaide. "Tourists don't travel to cities because you can drive cars there," said Mr Conlon.

"Trams are a safe option, you know where you are going and how long it is going to take to get to the place you want to be.

"If you had a tourist destination in an urban precinct it would be amiss not to have trams."

Mr Conlon dismissed suggestions the proposed 13km track running from Parkwood to Broadbeach would be under-utilised.

"I bet (patronage) doesn't turn out to be a big problem," he said.

"I would be astonished if this is not the best investment on the Gold Coast."
Source
Old June 20th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #1095
crowd65

Likes (Received): 51

The first piling rig was set up today Parkland side of Smith st so should see some bridge work starting soon.
They are continuing digging down Queen Street, They have brought in more concrete block, have heard that the first track should be laid with in the next 2 weeks.
crowd65 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #1096
southpawgrammar

Likes (Received): 156

Great article with ref to Adelaide.

People seem to forget that infrastructure adds both social and economic value to a city.

Crazy isn't it?
southpawgrammar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #1097
DAJAN

Was up there last week, and I walked the length of Griffith Uni to Southport as well as checking the rest from the bus. (sorry, I don't own a good enough camera to get pics)

- Plenty going on at Griffith Uni / hospital station, the structure for the underground platforms is in place with road traffic (including buses) running above it.
(by that, I mean an empty shell concrete structure, no visible signs of tracks, stairways, platforms etc.)
- Several foundations in place for light rail bridge above Smith St
- Tram depot site has much excavation etc. going on
- Queen St / Nerang St / Scarborough St have been re-aligned with new curbs, traffic islands etc. with a long empty "gap" along the middle of the length. (it's not even apparent that a light rail's going there for these that are unaware, unless of course they're near a sign promoting the project) Some light rail sections covered over with smooth bitumen, others rough. No tracks etc. anywhere.
(the Nerang St median LR path past the existing hospital is being used again for parking)
- The new bridge to take Light Rail over the Nerang River has no visible progress, other than fencing off the embankments at either end
- Surfers Paradise has works at each end of SP Boulevard (ie, where it ties into the highway) but no works begun yet along the main stretch of the boulevard
- Southern end of Surfers has plenty of roadworks on the highway, traffic running very slow, reduced much of the time to 1 lane each way
- Broadbeach has the highway more or less complete for normal traffic with works only in the middle for LR
- station site at Pacific Fair fenced off but no visible progress as yet.

By the way - anyone know if there is meant to be a footbridge from the light rail station over the "Moat" into Pacific Fair (ideally aligned directly onto the entrance downstairs beneath the main food court, alongside the water)?

The footpath on the Hooker Blvd bridge would not really be sufficient, however no new footbridge was on the plans. I'm guessing they're waiting to see if the shopping centre coughs up the money for it?

Last edited by DAJAN; July 17th, 2012 at 04:46 AM.
Old July 16th, 2012, 06:40 AM   #1098
nathandavid88

Thanks for the update DAJAN. It has certainly made life hell for traffic running between Surfers and Broadbeach, that's for sure! As for how the South Broadbeach station will connect to Pacific Fair, I'm not sure what's happening with that either. Discussions maybe happening behind closed doors with Pac Fair's owners perhaps? Or maybe they're holding off until the long mooted Pacific Fair reno is underway? They need to do something though!
Old July 29th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #1099
nismo33
Queenslander

Likes (Received): 0

Any updates on this guys?
Old July 30th, 2012, 03:58 AM   #1100
Dimethyltryptamine

Basically same as before. It's traveling as slow as a wet week. Queen Street is still being dug up again, then relaid for what I assume is a wait for the tracks to be installed. Plenty of works around Australia Fair on Scarborough Street (taxi rank's moved, centre gardens removed, etc) and there's some happenings around the Gold Coast Hwy/Surfers Paradise Blvd intersection (South bound lane closed from Surfers Paradise Blvd to Ocean Ave - which is at present the route for Surfers and beyond buses)