search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #1201
DAJAN

Likes (Received): 605

Quote:
Begins 18 Nov 2012
Southport - Nerang Street track laying
From Sunday 18 November 2012 centre parking will be removed and work will start in the centre median area of Nerang Street, between High and Queen Streets, in preparation for track laying.

Over the coming weeks the centre median will be excavated, electrical conduits to power the tram will be installed, lengths of rail will be delivered and the track form slab will be poured.
http://goldlinq.com.au/workspace/ass...n-50986a6a.pdf
DAJAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #1202
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Likes (Received): 1634

Bus stop relocations on Scarborough St are starting on 3 December, so they will be starting along there not long afterwards.
SurfRail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #1203
crowd65

Likes (Received): 51

Update Pics

Well hi again here are some more shots from today first up the work taking place south end Surfers paradise Blv and Gold Coast Highway intercetion.

these are the Rail ties that keep the track the right distance apart

Ok now for the bridge work north end Paradise Waters

Last shot today is the headstock work at Smith St first 2 have been poured and set

If weather is ok this weekend will try and get some pics of the work at the intercetion of Nerag and High St.
crowd65 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #1204
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6402

thanks for your updates, very much appreciated! Good to see work on Smith Street is coming along nicely, as well as through Surfers.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #1205
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 9036

Thanks crowd65! Each set of photos gets me a little more excited about this! Can't wait to ride one!
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #1206
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandavid88 View Post
Thanks crowd65! Each set of photos gets me a little more excited about this! Can't wait to ride one!
I've often thought about booking out The Cecil for a massive piss-up for fellow foamers and enthusiasts for the first day of operation - literally spitting distance from the northbound platform at the main Southport station.
Old November 15th, 2012, 04:43 AM   #1207
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 9036

Haha! I wouldn't say no to that!
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 07:30 AM   #1208
joninbrisbane
The Delivery Guy

Likes (Received): 23

↑ here here
joninbrisbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #1209
crowd65

GRRRRR been tyring all weekend to up load to Photo Bucket but wont work. So here is a verbal update for now. The intersection of High and Nerang st was closed all weekend as they started to dig it up for the light rail. Took some pics Saturday morn and will upload as soon as i get photo bucket working.
Old November 18th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #1210
BleakCity
̙͈̩ͫ̎Ż̙̟̜̌ͫ́̒Hwhateͧ ̃̌va

Likes (Received): 542

Does anyone find the route around Australia Fair a little odd? Were there any specific reasons?

The station spacing and segregation is good though.
BleakCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #1211
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6402

I'm not sure what is odd about it? or where else it could/would go? Australia Fair bus stop is one of the busiest bus stops in the city, and I think it makes sense to run the light rail between Australia Fair, personally.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #1212
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleakCity View Post
Does anyone find the route around Australia Fair a little odd? Were there any specific reasons?

The station spacing and segregation is good though.
The route is pretty much dead on perfect, especially since they got rid of the dog-leg in Surfers.

Other options which had been looked at previously for Southport were:

- Instead of making the sharp turn onto Scarborough St, heading straight through the Nerang St Mall and out through the "front" of Southport.

- Instead of going all the way down Scarborough St after the turn, turning left onto Short Street.

Doing either of those misses development opportunities at the southern end of Scarborough St, and I think there were other technical problems with these options (eg would have required more shared running than was desirable, whereas this way there is none at all).

For my money, I think the spacing between Broadwater Parklands and the stop at the bottom of Scarorough St, and between the two stations on Parklands Drive, is a little too close. But, the system-wide average is still bang-on 800 metres (little over 4 times the Melbourne average if I'm not mistaken), and in those 2 cases there is little else you could do.
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #1213
crowd65

Talking Update Pics

Well Photo Bucket is working so here are the shots from last weekends work

will try and get more this weekend when the intersection is closed again hopefully for track laying
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:50 AM   #1214
BleakCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
I'm not sure what is odd about it? or where else it could/would go? Australia Fair bus stop is one of the busiest bus stops in the city, and I think it makes sense to run the light rail between Australia Fair, personally.
Turning at Gold Coast Hwy rather than Scarborough St and knocking off one stop seems more logical.
Old November 19th, 2012, 05:20 AM   #1215
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Quote:
Turning at Gold Coast Hwy rather than Scarborough St and knocking off one stop seems more logical.
Thus, as I have pointed out above, missing the entire southern end of Southport, which is zoned for considerably greater density than is present now. Going that way spits you into the middle of the highway and you would then need to navigate back off of it if you wanted a station somewhere before the Brighton development. There's no great time or other advantage to that route.

That small stretch of Nerang Street was also originally proposed to be the bus interchange, although that has since changed.
Old November 19th, 2012, 05:31 AM   #1216
BleakCity

I think justifying deviations in that way is a little risky.
Old November 19th, 2012, 06:07 AM   #1217
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3246

Deviating away from the 2nd (IIRC) busiest bus stop (not station) in SEQ needs a help of a lot of justifying especially as it is only going to get busier.
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #1218
BleakCity

I'm not talking about Australia Fair, but turning away from the Gold Coast Hwy down Scarborough St.
Old November 19th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #1219
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Quote:
I think justifying deviations in that way is a little risky.
Sorry, can't agree that what you are proposing would be a good idea.

Putting it down Scarborough St with a station near the southern end increases the line's penetration of the Southport CBD and the surrounding streets. Putting it along Marine Parade with no station means the walkable catchment for Southport is much smaller, and even with a station somewhere along that alignment it would be nowhere near any activated spaces and half of the walkable catchment would be in the drink.

There's also slightly less interference with traffic this way as only northbound traffic needs to stop to allow trams to cross. Southbound is green except for pedestrian signals.

They have made a point of avoiding stations in the middle of nowhere, with the exception of the one at Wardoo St. That was sited there so they could keep bidirectional travel on Queen St without disrupting graves. (The first station west of the hospital was meant to be at the primary school but the principal at the time objected, and now the new principal is ticked off as he wants it there and its too late to change.)
Old November 19th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #1220
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBrissy View Post
Deviating away from the 2nd (IIRC) busiest bus stop (not station) in SEQ needs a help of a lot of justifying especially as it is only going to get busier.
To be fair, that isn't really a concern since the light rail won't be stopping at the current interchange. The route just goes past it. They reasoned (correctly I think) that a stop on Nerang St is more central to Southport as a whole, even if the current interchange just happens to be more convenient to the Scarborough St access to Aus Fair. That is the primary driver of foot traffic at the moment, but as Southport starts densifying even more that is not likely to be the case forever. I think the Nerang St access will get busier than the Scarborough St one over time as its closer to the main station.

The bus stops are going to be on the north side of the Nerang St/Scarborough St intersection at the TAFE, with what looks like 4 bays on each side. I still don't know how they actually plan on having buses get in and out.

Getting any kind of detail on the proposed 2014 bus network out of anybody at the moment is very hard because the whole of SEQ is under review. For the Gold Coast in particular, they have to design something that will hold for 2 years as a line haul network and then transition into an LRT feeder system without much fuss once the trams start rolling. The stuff I have seen modelled previously has already been superseded by network changes in the last 3-4 years and so is no longer reliable.