daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 19th, 2012, 09:26 AM   #1221
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Likes (Received): 1707

You know on further reflection there is a very good reason to keep the LRT away from Marine Parade altogether.

On weekends, every man and his dog plugs "Seaworld" or "Surfers Paradise" into the GPS, or follows the signs on the M1, and gets routed via the Smith St Mwy. There is always worse traffic along Smith St/North St/Marine Pde than nearly every other road on the coast, especially on weekends - even in the heart of Surfers the traffic flows better. Nobody seems to have worked out that it is generally faster to get to anywhere on the central Gold Coast from north of the city by using the routes to the south of Smith St like Ashmore Rd/Cotlew St/Neilsens Rd etc.

The less interaction LRT has with that mess at Marine Parade, the better, I think.
SurfRail no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #1222
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3418

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleakCity View Post
I'm not talking about Australia Fair, but turning away from the Gold Coast Hwy down Scarborough St.
The Australia Fair stop is on Scarborough Street.

@ surfrail, you are correct, although there is a stop south of Australia Fair (about 200m walk) on Scarborough Street. These 2 stops will take the traffic from the one Australia Fair bus stop.
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #1223
Elijah B.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

One of the things I'm curious about is what changes to the Queensland roads laws have been, or are to be, introduced because of the trams.

I assume there are no existing trams lines in Queensland so presumably there have been no tram laws since they got rid of the old trams a generation or two ago.

Are they to copy Victoria's laws or might there be some original variations?
Elijah B. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #1224
DAJAN

Likes (Received): 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfRail View Post
The bus stops are going to be on the north side of the Nerang St/Scarborough St intersection at the TAFE, with what looks like 4 bays on each side. I still don't know how they actually plan on having buses get in and out.

Getting any kind of detail on the proposed 2014 bus network out of anybody at the moment is very hard because the whole of SEQ is under review. For the Gold Coast in particular, they have to design something that will hold for 2 years as a line haul network and then transition into an LRT feeder system without much fuss once the trams start rolling. The stuff I have seen modelled previously has already been superseded by network changes in the last 3-4 years and so is no longer reliable.
Most buses that currently depart Australia Fair northbound, continue along Scarborough St to North Street, so those will likely enter and leave as they do today.
The exceptions being:
- routes 20/20A, which could just use the southbound stop instead, then turn right into Queen St (the ceasing of highway services south of Southport, shall free up southbound bus stop space)
- route 3, which still ought to depart northbound, so as to stay consistent with 715 to Helensvale. (Would need to run via Nind then High Sts)
- ditto for route 709 if it still exists once the LR is in. (my guess is 709 will only be Griffith Uni to Helensvale)

Re. changes to GC bus routes, post Light Rail commencement, this PDF has proposed changes (starting from page 117).
Although who knows if the plans will all be revised again under the SEQ review.

http://goldlinq.com.au/workspace/ass...s-4cd892e6.pdf

(this was one of many documents in the "Early Works Resources" section of the website):
http://goldlinq.com.au/project-updat...rks-resources/
DAJAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #1225
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

Proposals for a ferry network have come up again. Not happy with the poll results.

The Gold Coast Bulletin (18/11/2012): http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #1226
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJAN View Post
Re. changes to GC bus routes, post Light Rail commencement, this PDF has proposed changes (starting from page 117).
Although who knows if the plans will all be revised again under the SEQ review.

http://goldlinq.com.au/workspace/ass...s-4cd892e6.pdf

(this was one of many documents in the "Early Works Resources" section of the website):
http://goldlinq.com.au/project-updat...rks-resources/
The bus route modelling is absurdly out of date and not worth looking at. It will have to be redone. Too much has happened since then.
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #1227
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 9278

I'm really not sure how well a Ferry network would work as a legitimate public transport network on the Gold Coast. Some services I could imagine (criss crossing the Broadwater between Southport, Marina Mirage/Seaworld, and Wavebreak does make sense) but running up the river and through the canals is a bit different to running Citycats along the Brisbane River. I'd imagine a very slow, windy journey. Good for tourists, but not so good as a public transport service that would largely be competing with the Light Rail.
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #1228
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Proposals for a ferry network have come up again. Not happy with the poll results.

The Gold Coast Bulletin (18/11/2012): http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html
Why? I voted against it.

If they have $64m lying around to invest in public transport, it should be used for one or more of the following:

- Downpayment on the next LRT extension
- Seed funding for extra bus services
- Capital contribution to buying new buses to replace older vehicles and expand the fleet
- Fund a new Surfside depot in the Robina/Varsity area

Why anybody would want to catch a ferry from Paradise Point to Southport when they could just get the 706 bus running more frequently is beyond me. After Southport, it gets even worse with 6 knot speed limits and a winding alignment to Broadbeach, and there is nothing of note anywhere on the Nerang River except for Metricon Stadium.

If somebody wants to have a go, then fine. There's too much demand for investment in PT elsewhere to waste time with this using public monies.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 11:25 AM   #1229
crowd65

Likes (Received): 51

ok third time trying this tonight
Broadbeach Section from Surfers Blvd

end part 1
crowd65 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 12:49 PM   #1230
crowd65

Ok part 2
Surfers Blvd to Broadbeach

ok then well will try for photos over the weekend

Travel safe and enjoy
Old November 23rd, 2012, 04:42 PM   #1231
Map Born

Likes (Received): 147

Wonderful effort crowd65!

The top layer of concrete has been poured and treated at the intersection of SP Bvd and GC Hwy tonight.

This part here:

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/...l/IMG_0508.jpg

This shows the actual extent of the form work that's been filled of the northbound track:

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/...l/IMG_0502.jpg

Concrete pumping began 7:50pm (yes, Friday night) and concluded after midnight. The concrete pumper moved once so the southern half could be completed.

This will allow a traffic switch soon of the GC Hwy from Aubrey St south so work can progress on excavating for the foundation.

Permanent residents of the adjacent buildings seen in the photos will be only too glad to see the majority of the noisy night work move away from them. Certainly was great that businesses in the tourist centre of Surfers complained about work beginning before Christmas in their area, many more than happy this intersection is nearing completion.
Map Born no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #1232
brisbanite

Likes (Received): 446

Thanks for the pics Crowd65, good to see progress has been rapid since I was at the Coast last.
brisbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #1233
crowd65

ok well here are some more pics from today

First up from Univeristy Station End

Smith Street Viaduct

ok will post Depot and Queen st shortly
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #1234
OneMelbGuy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
BURLEIGH HEADS' beachfront is shaping up as the new battleground for the proposed expansions of the light rail.

A proposal to expand the system along Burleigh Heads' Esplanade is now open for public consultation as part of the council's 2031 draft city transport strategy.

Leading the charge against the plan is former Burleigh councillor Paul Gamin and his wife Judy, herself a former Burleigh MP.

Mr Gamin has filed an official objection stating the development would "totally destroy the amenity of the area".
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html

How can a simple light rail line destroy the amenity of a beach area? Have these people never seen the Glenelg or St Kilda Beach tram?

Last edited by OneMelbGuy; November 25th, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
OneMelbGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #1235
TOCC

Likes (Received): 2603

in a few years, many of these local areas who are currently campaigning against lightrail will be crying for its extension into their areas
TOCC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #1236
Map Born

Likes (Received): 147

Agreed to both above. Burleigh Heads actually would be impacted very little as the main business centre is behind the highway. If I go to the businesses on the highway, I park in streets behind as more reliability of a car park.

Going down the esplanade, even less businesses impacted.

If the light rail is to make the airport eventually, it's a 20+ kilometre distance from Broadbeach/Surfers. Goldlinq have listed the average speed of the first section to be 23km/h. If that continues, will be almost one hour's travel time.
Map Born no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #1237
BuildBigger

Likes (Received): 266

It is a pretty straight route from Broadbeach onwards, surely it could reach 60-70 km/h ???
BuildBigger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #1238
crowd65

OK here are the photo's from the depot and Queen Street also 2 of the track laid at the crn High & Nerang St over the weekend.

Structure coming out of ground

now for High & Nerang St

Ok thats it for now more to as things seem to moving ahead all up and down the line with some speed now
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #1239
brisbanite

Likes (Received): 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMelbGuy View Post
Quote:
BURLEIGH HEADS' beachfront is shaping up as the new battleground for the proposed expansions of the light rail.
A proposal to expand the system along Burleigh Heads' Esplanade is now open for public consultation as part of the council's 2031 draft city transport strategy.
Leading the charge against the plan is former Burleigh councillor Paul Gamin and his wife Judy, herself a former Burleigh MP.
Mr Gamin has filed an official objection stating the development would "totally destroy the amenity of the area".
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html

How can a simple light rail line destroy the amenity of a beach area? Have these people never seen the Glenelg or St Kilda Beach tram?
It's astonishing that an ex-councillor and ex-MP are fighting against a better public transport system. Personally I would be happy with a light rail system as close as possible to my joint or business. I still can't rationalise why any business would be against any system that has the potential to deliver them more patronage???
brisbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 03:52 AM   #1240
DAJAN

Likes (Received): 647

Good to see the first Light Rail vehicle has already begun running along the tracks.

The tram is somewhat shorter than I envisaged.
Smells a bit too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowd65 View Post
DAJAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
mandurahboyz