search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 26th, 2012, 03:06 AM   #1241
DAJAN

Likes (Received): 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMelbGuy View Post

Quote:
BURLEIGH HEADS' beachfront is shaping up as the new battleground for the proposed expansions of the light rail.

A proposal to expand the system along Burleigh Heads' Esplanade is now open for public consultation as part of the council's 2031 draft city transport strategy.

Leading the charge against the plan is former Burleigh councillor Paul Gamin and his wife Judy, herself a former Burleigh MP.

Mr Gamin has filed an official objection stating the development would "totally destroy the amenity of the area".
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html

How can a simple light rail line destroy the amenity of a beach area? Have these people never seen the Glenelg or St Kilda Beach tram?
Why would GCCC propose running the Light Rail along the Esplanade in Burleigh?

I would have thought continuing along the centre of the highway would provide a quicker, more direct route, especially for when it extends south beyond Burleigh.

The highway has sufficient width along that stretch (yes the service road has a small retaining wall, but that can be re-aligned slightly if need be)

Most passengers wanting the beach would use the main stop near Connor St & Goodwin Tce anyway.
DAJAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2012, 03:48 AM   #1242
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Likes (Received): 1635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Born View Post
Agreed to both above. Burleigh Heads actually would be impacted very little as the main business centre is behind the highway. If I go to the businesses on the highway, I park in streets behind as more reliability of a car park.

Going down the esplanade, even less businesses impacted.

If the light rail is to make the airport eventually, it's a 20+ kilometre distance from Broadbeach/Surfers. Goldlinq have listed the average speed of the first section to be 23km/h. If that continues, will be almost one hour's travel time.
It will be faster in the stretch south of Broadbeach because there is no conceivable need to have stops every 400 metres anywhere on route. The dense sections where this is the case are further north in the middle of Surfers and Southport, so the average stop spacing will be higher elsewhere.

I expect it would be comparable with the existing route 702 bus, which stops more frequently (around every 400m) but runs non-stop between Currumbin Creek and the airport. I had a 30 minute trip on this service from Broadbeach last time I used it a few weeks back, which is pretty much bang-on-time.

There's simply no point in running the service at Skybus parameters (ie non-stop to somewhere) as people are getting on and off all along the way. There isn't any predominant destination for people getting off planes other than the coastal strip itself so there is no urgency in getting people to say Surfers in 20 minutes flat.

Last edited by SurfRail; November 26th, 2012 at 03:58 AM.
SurfRail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 03:53 AM   #1243
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJAN View Post
Why would GCCC propose running the Light Rail along the Esplanade in Burleigh?

I would have thought continuing along the centre of the highway would provide a quicker, more direct route, especially for when it extends south beyond Burleigh.

The highway has sufficient width along that stretch (yes the service road has a small retaining wall, but that can be re-aligned slightly if need be)

Most passengers wanting the beach would use the main stop near Connor St & Goodwin Tce anyway.
GCCC is not driving this. The Esplanade was originally identified as a preferred route by the project team when they looked at it on a conceptual level. There is some reference to it in the early works documents/CDIMP. (I'm not actually sure where in the draft GCCC 2031 transport plan it talks about The Esplanade, so maybe this is coming from one of the roaming public consultation sessions.)

That might change with more detailed design work, or it might be easier to use The Esplanade from a services/disruption perspective than mucking around with the highway.

I'm not fussed either way. Would be a nice ride along the The Esplanade, and gives you the potential to run straight across the highway into Connor St (station right here between the highway and James St in a better environment than the highway itself). This can be a future junction point for a Varsity Lakes line down James Street and Reedy Creek Rd. To head further south it just pops back out again behind the bowls club.
Old November 26th, 2012, 04:08 AM   #1244
Macca-GC

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisbanite View Post
It's astonishing that an ex-councillor and ex-MP are fighting against a better public transport system. Personally I would be happy with a light rail system as close as possible to my joint or business. I still can't rationalise why any business would be against any system that has the potential to deliver them more patronage???
Because they're a bunch of idiots who can't think long-term.

But honestly, I'd prefer they just ran the Light Rail straight down the GC Hwy. then there's fewer turns on and off the main road and you can more easily service bothe sides of the road.
Macca-GC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 04:16 AM   #1245
brisbanite

Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca-GC View Post
Because they're a bunch of idiots who can't think long-term.

But honestly, I'd prefer they just ran the Light Rail straight down the GC Hwy. then there's fewer turns on and off the main road and you can more easily service bothe sides of the road.
You'd think they would continue down the highway to save money and the highway is bugger all from the Esplanade and the coast anyway, especially in the heart of Burleigh Heads.
brisbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #1246
Elijah B.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

There's nothing quite like seeing the rails installed to make it look like it's coming along nicely.

As for the opposition to having trams: I don't know, but I've seen it happen with every new route, extension or plan I've come across in Melbourne and Adelaide and Sydney, there are people who come out of the woodwork in passionate opposition to whatever involves trams. They can see no good in them at all. I conclude that, just as there are gunzels who love trams, there are anti-gunzels who constitutionally hate trams and everything to do with them.

Last edited by Elijah B.; November 26th, 2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Because I'm a great guy.
Elijah B. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #1247
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

A Surfside driver friend of mine told me today that he has now driven over tram tracks for the first time up here, so I take it the installation at the High St/Nerang St intersection has been done?
Old November 26th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #1248
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6409

I believe so. must have been driving the 709?
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #1249
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
I believe so. must have been driving the 709?
Right turn onto High Street probably, or otherwise left turn onto Nerang St from High St heading north, on the loop the 747 does through the CBD.

I'm glad the contributors to this thread are out there capturing the corridor during the build phase, as I no longer have the time to do so.
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #1250
OneMelbGuy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 82

Are there any laid track sections yet where the barriers have been cleared away?

As to the track laying process: do they shape/bend the rails to the gradient prior to delivery or is it done on-site? And how?
OneMelbGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #1251
Dimethyltryptamine

There are a few sections. These parts here and the other entry/exit into the school, as well as here (unfortunately Nearmap is out of date, so you can't see..)

They have removed some of the concrete barriers from along Queen Street (I assume to move them on to Southport-Nerang Road) though the mesh fences are still up, and the tracks and concrete are raised slightly above the height of the road.

A lot of noise last night too, they were working well into the night. It's good to see.
Old November 28th, 2012, 01:03 AM   #1252
Aussie Bhoy

Likes (Received): 7367

Once this first part of the light rail is up and running, and people see how good it will be, all parts of the coast will be demanding it.
Aussie Bhoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #1253
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 9042

Agreed! Anyone thinking it will be a white elephant are going to be eating major humble pie!
nathandavid88 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 06:46 AM   #1254
crowd65

Likes (Received): 51

The corner of queen and Nerang Streets will be closed this weekend and next so as the can lay track across the intersection like Nerang and High sts.
crowd65 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 09:00 AM   #1255
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Now I have a free weekend I might head over from my mountain fortress on the Nerang border.
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:39 AM   #1256
DAJAN

Likes (Received): 605

http://goldlinq.com.au/project-updat...rst-time/5772/

Quote:
28 November, 2012
Traffic crosses light rail tracks on the Gold Coast for the first time
Almost 55,000 Gold Coast motorists each day will now drive over tracks laid for the light rail system at the busy intersection of High and Nerang Streets in Southport.

After working more than 100 hours in two weekends GoldLinQ crews on the billion-dollar light rail project have completed the installation of tracks at the intersection.

GoldLinQ CEO Phil Mumford said while track had already been laid on other areas of the project, this would be the first time Gold Coast motorists would get to travel over the rails.

“Crews worked around the clock from 6.30pm Friday to 5am Monday on the weekends of 16 to 19 November and 23 to 26 November to ensure the intersection was open to traffic by 6am Monday (26 November),” Mr Mumford said.

“Now we have the first section of tracks laid on the 13km route, and cars can drive over them just like they will be able to at other intersections when the system is operating.”

Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate said despite recent wet weather, GoldLinQ had managed to install a difficult section of track efficiently during the past two weekends.

“It’s also great to see GoldLinQ’s ‘Love Our City’ campaign coordinating meals for workers from local businesses,” Cr Tate said.

“Five shops in Southport supplied meals, drinks and coffee on site as the crews worked around the clock.

“This section of completed track demonstrates how the light rail system will be safely and efficiently integrated with the existing road traffic network.”

Mr Mumford thanked motorists for their patience during the light rail works and encouraged drivers to continue to use the road network as usual, with normal road rules applying even in the vicinity of light rail tracks.

Existing pedestrian access routes have been maintained around the new section of light rail tracks.

The next intersection works will occur from 6:30pm Friday to 5:00am Monday on the weekends of 30 November to 3 December and 7 December to 10 December 2012, at the intersection of Queen and Nerang Street, Southport, which will be partially closed.

Construction crews will work around the clock to prepare the intersection for tracklaying during the quieter weekend traffic period.

DAJAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #1257
Planks & Sticks
Rabid Furry Skier

Likes (Received): 771

Gold Coast is now welcomed into the club of cities where you hear clack clack sound as cars drive over the tram tracks. :P
Planks & Sticks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #1258
Aussie Steve

Likes (Received): 125

This is certainly an exciting project for Sth East Qld. Well done to the State Govt and the GCCC.
Aussie Steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 01:10 AM   #1259
crowd65

Likes (Received): 51

Photo Update

Ok here are some shots from this morning at the corner of Queen and Nerang Streets you can see in one of the shots that the track has been delivered pre curved ready to be placed.

crowd65 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 07:14 AM   #1260
Dimethyltryptamine

cheers crowd. here's two I got the other day from near Griffith.

Smith Street

University Hospital Station shell