daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 11th, 2013, 02:56 AM   #1341
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Likes (Received): 1702

There are 2 reasons why it isn't happening faster even though it could:

1. Service relocations and related works (including all along the corridor and the need to coordinate works with the new hospital, which results in a net saving and fewer works required over the long-run). This is a "good" delay.

2. Construction is not happening 24 hours even though it was offered, because the local traders are sooks and cut their noses off to spite their own face. This is a "stoopid" delay.
SurfRail no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2013, 03:17 AM   #1342
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

I've spoken to the bus network team. Some positives, some negatives, but basically not a lot of new funding happening.
Old January 11th, 2013, 03:55 AM   #1343
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 9260

I kind of agree with the old guy on Twitter that "Light rail" is kind of a wanky way of saying trams when you get right down to it, and if we were back in the 1950s, it probably would have been built by now. But it also wouldn't have been almost completely grade separated as this one is, it would have had reduced frequency with smaller, less efficient trams and would have resulted in a network of powerpoles and wires like you see in some of the older suburban high streets like down in Victoria. And they wouldn't have removed all the utilities, so when something broke, the track would have to be dug up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMelbGuy View Post
On a different note: can anyone tell me why the GC rails are laid into concrete, but in Manchester and Edinburgh etc they are set with a rubber buffer. I can't imagine rubber lasting long in our sun. Manchester tram tracks Beautiful work, but still. Why don't they also use just concrete?
I would guess it's something to go with the weather conditions over there. I don't know exactly, but that's my guess!
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:27 AM   #1344
MelbourneCity

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandavid88 View Post
I kind of agree with the old guy on Twitter that "Light rail" is kind of a wanky way of saying trams when you get right down to it, and if we were back in the 1950s, it probably would have been built by now. But it also wouldn't have been almost completely grade separated as this one is, it would have had reduced frequency with smaller, less efficient trams and would have resulted in a network of powerpoles and wires like you see in some of the older suburban high streets like down in Victoria. And they wouldn't have removed all the utilities, so when something broke, the track would have to be dug up!

I would guess it's something to go with the weather conditions over there. I don't know exactly, but that's my guess!
It assists with minimising noise and vibration.

Melburnian in Sydney via Bendigo
MelbourneCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:36 AM   #1345
Map Born

Likes (Received): 147

The Manchester track laying style is possible here, Australia does innovate to make such rubber to endure our conditions.

As for tram/light rail, can call it anything if it works. The Victorians up here on holidays refer to the project as trams.

Also, good on the Gold Coast City Council for taking Mac Dow to court, the pile locations of the bridge are crucial to prevent upstream flooding. Refer to Kempsey bypass hydro reports for an example on how little changes make significant differences.

If the proposed cruise ship terminal (if it stacks up financially) is subjected to the same hydro scrutiny, it will be welcomed by locals.
Map Born no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #1346
TOCC

Likes (Received): 2592

I think the difference between light-rail and trams is that light-rail generally operates exclusively on dedicated routes with right of way whereas trams operate along city streets..

Thats how i see it anyway..
TOCC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:29 AM   #1347
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

I have no difficulty referring to it as a tram, for my own part.
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:33 AM   #1348
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
I think the difference between light-rail and trams is that light-rail generally operates exclusively on dedicated routes with right of way whereas trams operate along city streets..

Thats how i see it anyway..
Was my understanding, too but I think as times go on the differences between the two become more vague, as trams often use dedicated/segregated tracks etc.

Last edited by Dimethyltryptamine; January 11th, 2013 at 06:56 AM.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #1349
Elijah B.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

I quite like this definition: "Virtually every tram system can be considered as light rail, but only those light rail systems which feature street running can be called trams." (http://www.thetrams.co.uk/whatisatram.php).

Perhaps an alternate concept could be to describe the tracks as Light Rail and the vehicles as Trams.

Various websites say that there is no hard and fast distinction between the two. Perhaps in the end it will be a matter of personal preference, like vacation and holiday, closet and wardrobe. So long as we all know what is meant it should work well enough.
Elijah B. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #1350
Youngplanner

Likes (Received): 961

I typed in 'tram' and 'light rail' into google images and they pretty much both came up with the same pictures. Not that that means anything, but just as an observation.

Imo when I think of a tram it is something like this...

And light rail is something like this...

Youngplanner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:12 AM   #1351
Dimethyltryptamine

Queen Street - Nerang Street intersection

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2752788...n/photostream/

High Street intersection looking toward Southport CBD

image hosted on flickr

Opposite side of the intersection, looking toward the Hospital current medical precinct.

image hosted on flickr

Old February 4th, 2013, 01:49 AM   #1352
marki
Moon Transit

Likes (Received): 662

Fast-track for Surfers light rail
Shannon Willoughby, chief reporter | 07:35am February 4, 2013
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html

THE developer of the Gold Coast's $1.2 billion light rail will fast-track construction through the heart of Surfers Paradise to minimise disruption to struggling traders and tackle mounting pressure to finish the project by mid-next year.

Yesterday, GoldLinQ revealed it would dump a phased roll-out of the project through the Glitter Strip and replace it with an intense four-month program, which would see most of Surfers Paradise Boulevard shut until June.

Major underground service upgrades and track laying will take place during the "get in, get out" program, leaving street scaping and light work to be carried out afterwards. GoldLinQ says the dramatic change to its original plans were made after it agreed to stop work during the busy summer school holidays. It also said traders wanted construction to be fast-tracked.

Additionally, the company, which has taken over the early works program from the State Government, is looking at ways to make up for delays on other parts of the track, including southern Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach.

The Bulletin understands delays in the construction of the controversial light rail bridge at Southport -- with GoldLinQ in court against council over parts of the design -- were also behind the decision. The council has opposed parts of the bridge design, parallel to the Southport bridge, fearing it could cause flooding upstream and the matter is before the court.

"The halt to work (in Surfers during Christmas) and our extra underground service investigations we did last year has resulted in a contracted four-month program that will mean we get the heavy work of underground services and track-laying done in the one hit," said GoldLinQ CEO Phil Mumford. "As part of these works, road closures and traffic diversions are needed due to the size and nature of the construction activity and to ensure the safety of the community, our workers and travelling public," he said.

"Instead of a longer period with works happening in and out of the boulevard, the next four months are going to be intense construction-wise but at the end we will only have footpaths and station fit-outs followed by landscaping remaining."

He said after the four months, there would only be two sections left to complete. Next week, GoldLinQ will set up work sites along Surfers Paradise Boulevard in preparation for heavy work to start the following week, with two sections closed until June.

Too much time alone on ur keyboard ... Lets meetup instead
marki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #1353
Dimethyltryptamine

Old February 4th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #1354
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Great photoshop work on the tram destos...
Old February 4th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #1355
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

I drew these recently when bored:

Some of the Gold Coast one is presently impossible (eg the alignment for the 706 bus route between Benowa and Carrara which would require a green bridge to be built over the Nerang River between Carrara Rd and Benowa Rd. I suspected the interchange point would be at the markets but left it vague.) I also think I have mucked up the 707/708 through Nerang a bit.

The Brisbane tram one is a bit of fun - something like the natural evolution of the CityGlider and inner BUZ routes over time. I don't like what I've done with the yellow line through St Paul's Tce - should just follow the purple line to Brunswick St and turn left up Bowen Bridge Rd that way. I also think I've mucked up the route through East Brisbane, but I was drawing all of this from memory only without the benefit of drawing over a satellite overlay as I normally would. There would no doubt be further refinements if I did.

I might commit these to a KMZ when I have more time, and look at possible station locations (and for the Gold Coast, some kind of notional staging plan).

My proposal is a bit less ambitious than GCCC's in some ways, and I think mine avoids some of the issues I have with theirs.

aldonius liked this post
Old February 4th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #1356
Map Born

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
Fast-track for Surfers light rail
Shannon Willoughby, chief reporter | 07:35am February 4, 2013
Does this mean 24/7 constuction will happen in these sections? I recall that option being offered but due to ill-informed opposition from local businesses, was dropped.

PS. Surfrail - good work on your network diagrams. Will make for good debate.

Last edited by Map Born; February 4th, 2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Surfrail
Map Born no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 05:28 AM   #1357
BrizzyChris

Likes (Received): 1162

I see your T1, T2 and T4 lines on the Brisbane map all be roughly suitable alignments for a subway network. The primary one being Toowong-West End-City-Valley-Newstead-Bulimba-Hamilton.

Without being too familiar with the network setup on the GC, what is the reasoning behind the Elanora interchange? It's seems from your map you anticipate this to be a significant junction point for the future. I suppose considering the distance from Palm Beach/Currumbin to the airport/Cooloongatta area, it would probably make sense to have a closer heavy rail connection point.
BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 06:01 AM   #1358
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrizzyChris View Post
I see your T1, T2 and T4 lines on the Brisbane map all be roughly suitable alignments for a subway network. The primary one being Toowong-West End-City-Valley-Newstead-Bulimba-Hamilton.

Without being too familiar with the network setup on the GC, what is the reasoning behind the Elanora interchange? It's seems from your map you anticipate this to be a significant junction point for the future. I suppose considering the distance from Palm Beach/Currumbin to the airport/Cooloongatta area, it would probably make sense to have a closer heavy rail connection point.
It is likely to be the interim QR terminus. The GCCC plan in fact calls for LRT from Elanora to Coolangatta before heavy rail (if at all), and I believe there is a fair amount of sense in that. The BCR would well and truly be in favour of the light rail option.

You've got a shopping centre and some civic facilities there ripe for intensification too in the long run. Plus, north of Elanora there is more activity and population so it makes sense to terminate some of your capacity there instead of running it all the way along that narrow beach strip through Kirra where there is little in the way of decent height.
Old February 5th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #1359
aldonius

Likes (Received): 139

Great work on the maps SurfRail.
Just one question - how on earth do you tolerate using Paint rather than a vector-based editor!?

Oh, and I made you a Google Maps version of the Brisbane tram routes. Should be easy enough to get a KML out.
http://goo.gl/maps/bRSx0

Last edited by aldonius; February 5th, 2013 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Added Google Maps link
aldonius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #1360
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldonius View Post
Great work on the maps SurfRail.
Just one question - how on earth do you tolerate using Paint rather than a vector-based editor!?

Oh, and I made you a Google Maps version of the Brisbane tram routes. Should be easy enough to get a KML out.
http://goo.gl/maps/bRSx0
I've never bothered to learn, I really should. Paint is old and trusty though.

It's not entirely what I was thinking but very close.

Tags
mandurahboyz