search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 13th, 2013, 03:53 AM   #1481
DAJAN

Likes (Received): 602

Quote:
Mr Douglas said the health centre was in the wrong place and might need to be knocked down.

"The building will probably have to go," he said.

"I can't see any other way to make it work."

Attached PDF has Parklands Drive at Olsen Ave. (with tracks turning northwards towards Harbour Town as per original proposal)

http://goldlinq.com.au/workspace/ass...t-4cd89cc5.pdf

I assume the "Griffith Health Centre" are the light blue rectangles marked "proposed medical school" on this PDF.

Given that the rail needs to cross Olsen Ave regardless, does it really matter if it crosses Olsen from the north side of Parklands (where the light green bend is) also crossing Wintergreen Ave to head southwest?

Note also in the Gold Coast News reader comments - somebody's crapping on that light rail to Parkwood would mean less traffic lanes on the Smith St Mwy.
(because you can't just use the reservation running alongside Smith St Mwy?)
DAJAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:54 AM   #1482
crazyknightsfan
derp

Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Likes (Received): 2181

Parkwood looks like a great spot for a station

Are we building a passenger railway or a timber tramway?
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:49 AM   #1483
BrizzyChris

Likes (Received): 1154

A Centre for Excellence in Woodland Preservation.

On the new link though...does anyone know what the RL grade is for the track when it turns to the north from Parklands currently? In the detailed design it shows a "bridge structure", so just curious if it's at grade with the adjacent road or actually a bit higher up - enough to bridge over Olsen?? An at-grade intersection would obviously be far cheaper anyway.
BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #1484
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6401

I'm not exactly sure what it is you're asking, but it goes underground at hospital station. I imagine it would resurface and run at street level? It only had to overpass Smith St.

Sorry if that has nothing to do with what you're asking :p
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #1485
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3241

I always thought that Parkwood could become the Primary PnR on the Gold Coast line. In conjunction with this, spaces should be removed from Helensvale, Robina and Coomera Stations.
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #1486
crazyknightsfan
derp

^ Seems fair enough, it's well placed for PnR. Just not for tram connection

There's actually some remnant formation of the old steam-era Gold Coast rail line inside the area bounded by the motorways and Smith St connection
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #1487
KJBrissy

I'm kind of torn. The only reason you'd build a light rail connection here is to connect with heavy rail. The Helensvale diversion IMO is too long and it still has a proportionate amount of 'nothing zone' where the route goes through wetlands.

IMO if you did do a connection to Parkwood, you wouldn't have a station along the route as you need to resume at least one house for access, maybe more.

The connection to heavy rail would be great for tourists basing in Brisbane and for Brisbane based trips to the coastal strip. Would this be better from Robina or elsewhere? Not too sure as there are pro's and cons with both. Although I personally think in the short term it is the best solution, particularly if they can grow some balls and remove PnR from other stations, otherwise it could be a negative.

/rambling.
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”

SurfRail liked this post
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #1488
NoshowwithoutPunch

Hell hath no fury like a backbencher scorned.

Remember the Mandurah pax were gonna be electrocuted by the salty air coming off the Canning River. Melville Liberals were sure of it.

Velocity trains were to blown off the bridge on the Bungaree deviation. Yes, blown off. Hundreds of people would die in 30 knot winds.

I can't picture the area, but the diagram appears to show a tramway running in the middle of a divided road median, diving under the northern carriageway and intersection, and emerging on the northern side of the road, before swinging around to the other roadside. Meanwhile, there are proposed hospital buildings nearby, but not on, the reservation.

I call conspiracy on this. I think he means to put thousands of silly stories in the paper, easily disprovable but hoping time poor readers might never read the rebuttal.
NoshowwithoutPunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #1489
crazyknightsfan
derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBrissy View Post
I'm kind of torn. The only reason you'd build a light rail connection here is to connect with heavy rail. The Helensvale diversion IMO is too long and it still has a proportionate amount of 'nothing zone' where the route goes through wetlands.

IMO if you did do a connection to Parkwood, you wouldn't have a station along the route as you need to resume at least one house for access, maybe more.

The connection to heavy rail would be great for tourists basing in Brisbane and for Brisbane based trips to the coastal strip. Would this be better from Robina or elsewhere? Not too sure as there are pro's and cons with both. Although I personally think in the short term it is the best solution, particularly if they can grow some balls and remove PnR from other stations, otherwise it could be a negative.

/rambling.
Yeah it's a very tough one due to the disadvantages of the Helensvale route (cost/travel time) versus the absence of any patronage on the Parkwood route except for to/from Brisbane trips.

Helensvale route does pick up a lot more patronage and end at an anchor. It should almost go to Movie World/Wet'n'Wild too...
Old March 13th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #1490
OneMelbGuy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 82

All the proposed lines are in the Council's new transport strategy.

OneMelbGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #1491
Gazza2

Likes (Received): 133

Would it be viable to send the line Via Napper Rd to Parkwood?

Quote:
You could do it here:
http://goo.gl/maps/VHZuV

Last edited by Gazza2; March 13th, 2013 at 01:31 PM.
Gazza2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #1492
KJBrissy

Probably not. A big extra cost for little extra patrnage.

It would be worth investigating though.
Old March 13th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #1493
KDreamer
Marketing & Fashion, yo.

Likes (Received): 518

What's the point of Line B and Line D? A whole two lines designated to two extra stations than Line A? Maybe it's just my ignorance to how these thigns work but, I dunno, I've just always found it stupid/annoying to refer to the same track set as different lines. Why aren't they just offshoots of Line A? I guess it's just to remove the transfer?
KDreamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #1494
KJBrissy

Think of it as providing extra frequency on the densest part of the system.

It happens in the QR rail network as well between Roma Street and Bowen Hills
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #1495
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Likes (Received): 1632

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyknightsfan View Post
Parkwood looks like a great spot for a station

Are we building a passenger railway or a timber tramway?
It makes the most sense for numerous reasons.

- 4km for a direct connection between both lines, as opposed to 10km to Helensvale for a slower route and also travelling through a massive dead section west of Harbour Town. This version makes the trip to the coastline much faster. Helensvale can get by with a high-frequency bus in the vein of the existing 715 (shortly to become 704) running all the way down the Gold Coast Highway/Brisbane Rd into Southport, which is much neater and faster than the current 709 which will be vanishing with the upcoming changes. (The planners have long known the best bus route between Helensvale and Griffith is what is currently Route 3, which goes nowhere near Harbour Town and is therefore quicker, so this is going to be high-frequency once the trams start.)

- Cheaper to build because no ecological/hydro issues arising from the Coombabah Wetlands, and can be in ballasted track with 100% reserve running after crossing Olsen Ave (however that happens)

- Parkwood is a logical park and ride site and there is no higher and better use of the land which I can see. (It's long been preserved and identified in the IDAS system so no acquisition costs.)

- None of this stops a line being constructed to Harbour Town or further north than there. The demand will be greater between Griffith and points south, so it is a logical place for a branching point between 2 less frequent services.

KJBrissy liked this post
SurfRail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #1496
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyknightsfan View Post
^ Seems fair enough, it's well placed for PnR. Just not for tram connection.
It's perfectly sited for a tram connection with the railway because it means you are not asking people to make unnecessary transfers anywhere, and it is cheaper and faster to build.

If you want Harbour Town or anywhere to the east along Brisbane Rd, you catch a single bus from Helensvale. If you want Griffith, you stay on the train to Parkwood and change to a tram. Helensvale to Griffith via Harbour Town = unnecessarily slow and indirect.

Plus, the imperative which is now applicable is that GoldlinQ is willing to fund this basically through its own debt facility. There isn't a snowflakes chance they would offer this for the Helensvale option, and no level of government has the funds lying around to top up their debt funding to complete that route in a hurry.
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #1497
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDreamer View Post
What's the point of Line B and Line D? A whole two lines designated to two extra stations than Line A? Maybe it's just my ignorance to how these thigns work but, I dunno, I've just always found it stupid/annoying to refer to the same track set as different lines. Why aren't they just offshoots of Line A? I guess it's just to remove the transfer?
I don't agree 100% with the GCCC notions, although I had some input into them.

My preferred outcome is:

- Route "A" - existing route with extension west to Parkwood, and south all the way to Tweed Heads.
- Route "B" - existing route with extension north to Harbour Town (and potentially further north) and south to Nobby Beach, then to Bond Uni, Varsity Lakes and Robina.
- Route "C" - Seaworld to Palm Beach, then single station spur to The Pines (to form the southern rail interchange).
- Route "D" - Elanora to Tweed (and if NSW comes onboard, potentially further into the Tweed - not bloody likely though).

When heavy rail gets to the airport, this arrangement gives you rail/tram connections at Parkwood, Robina, Elanora and Coolangatta. Maybe even scope for a connection further north of Helensvale in the distant future depending how far north Route B would go.

I don't buy the Bundall line at all and I've told them that. I also have no idea why their Elanora route involves a diversion in and out for the line to the border which just adds time.
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #1498
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBrissy View Post
And that's stopped them to date?

I don't think this project could have got off the ground in any other city from scratch. Too many vested interests and spivs. The Gold Coast is too young to have sufficient confected outrage about things like that which would be serious enough to stop a major project like this - the only real whingers outside of the people legitimately affected by the works are the blow-ins, ideologues and old farts who don't comprehend what it's all about.

Otherwise agree with you.
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #1499
crazyknightsfan
derp

I do see where you're coming from Surfrail and I'm inclined to agree. I still don't like the aspect of no anchor at the western end but do see the big benefit in travel time. The Helensvale-Harbour Town-Labrador-Southport high frequency bus proposed in the plan above will complement it nicely.

Hopefully Gold Coast trains are frequent enough to make connections as convenient as possible.
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #1500
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza2 View Post
You could do it here:
http://goo.gl/maps/VHZuV
That's exactly what I was thinking. It would only be for local access and not the main point of building the extension. Facilities would be bog standard - shelter and a go card reader/AVVM, and that's it.