daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do you like the atmosphere
Yes 35 40.23%
No 52 59.77%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 16th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #221
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

Fans storming the field and tearing down the goalposts in 1988 after clinching the division championship. If you notice in the picture, the north posts are already down and being carried by the fans. They will eventually be passed throughout the stands, then cut up and sold for charity.

eMKay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #222
Goothrey
Savor the Flavor

Likes (Received): 116

Old May 25th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #223
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

well it seems no one has said anything here for a while...lets bring it back

id have to say Virginia Tech needs to be on the list...Rivals said it was the hardest place to play in the country, ESPN had it at the second scariest place to play in the country
CSTV had it at number three, and also said it might be the loudest stadium in college
you cant discard it because of size, its bigger than oregon
you want to see the blacksburg bounce, the hokie pokie, stick it in and key play, you gotta have lane stadium
i know people will disagree that its the best but it at least needs to be on the list

http://cstv.collegesports.com/bestof/category.php?cid=8

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/column...uce&id=3044646

http://www.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1014&CID=444097

and believe me, the fans are nuts...http://youtube.com/watch?v=i4xwZ6GH2VY
en1044 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #224
Dallasbrink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Has to be Texas A&M. That school is soaked in more tradition then every school in the SEC combined.
Dallasbrink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #225
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasbrink View Post
Has to be Texas A&M. That school is soaked in more tradition then every school in the SEC combined.
And that statement is soaked in some thick egomania or is rich with delusion. I'm not discounting the Aggie atmosphere, but Bama, Tennessee and LSU each match, if not surpass the A&M in the tradition category. (And this from an ACC fan!) Especially considering that Arkansas has "switched sides," as it were, and what Florida has now established as a tradition for more than 15 years of prosperity, it should be easy for anyone to see why the SEC is the best conference going for football, in large part because of all the tradition the league has. Bear Bryant, The grove, Rocky Top, Saturday nights at Tiger Stadium...

Toot your horn all you want, but please, do it sober!
Old May 26th, 2008, 03:16 AM   #226
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Too bad none of that is a winning tradition.
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 05:27 AM   #227
Benn

Likes (Received): 167

Yeah nothing against Kyle Field, but it has gotta be behind The Horseshoe, Tiger Stadium, Bryant-Denny, DKR, the Swamp, probably Nebraska, Rocky Top, Camp Randall and Autzen.
I'm not really biased, I'm Gophers fan, so I am pretty used to some of the worst atmosphere (hopefully that will change with the new stadium) in college football. Just from what I have seen of Aggie games I was far from blown away. I'd have to say from personal experience the Horseshoe is clearly on top, but I haven't been to too many of the "great" stadiums of College football. Wisconsin and Texas are also a ton of fun.
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #228
Dallasbrink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Go to UT vs A&M at College Station, and it will blow your mind. I almost jumped the UT ship
Dallasbrink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 06:53 AM   #229
en1044
Unregistered User

still no love for Lane Stadium??

whats going on here?
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #230
40Acres
Texas Our Texas

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Go to UT vs A&M at College Station, and it will blow your mind. I almost jumped the UT ship
LOL

Yeah, those 60K in an 80K stadium really fire up the milkmen cheerdorks.

40Acres no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #231
Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
still no love for Lane Stadium??

whats going on here?
I've never been there, but heard it's somewhat overrated. It's also substantially smaller than most on the list, so it's not going to be near as physically impressive as the Ohio Stadium, Beaver, Neyland, Tiger, Michigan, DKR, ect.

From what I have seen on TV, its probably near the bottom of the atmosphere list, until I see it in person I couldn't say for sure. Lane stadium is probably great, but this is for the best out of 117 programs, many very storied ones in there with huge loyal fan bases too. Places like Columbus, Madison and Austin on gameday are just unreal.
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #232
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn View Post
I've never been there, but heard it's somewhat overrated. It's also substantially smaller than most on the list, so it's not going to be near as physically impressive as the Ohio Stadium, Beaver, Neyland, Tiger, Michigan, DKR, ect.

From what I have seen on TV, its probably near the bottom of the atmosphere list, until I see it in person I couldn't say for sure. Lane stadium is probably great, but this is for the best out of 117 programs, many very storied ones in there with huge loyal fan bases too. Places like Columbus, Madison and Austin on gameday are just unreal.
So even when a bunch of respected sources rank Lane in the top three its still not good enough? I mean, Rivals.com had them at #1! Its not overrated, its just new to the whole best college stadium conversation. Give it time, people will start to realize just how good it is in Blacksburg. Im sure that Columbus, Madison, and Austin are great, and im not saying that Lane Stadium is better. Im simply saying that it deserves to be included in the discussion.

Lane Stadium deserves more credit than it receives...

Last edited by en1044; May 27th, 2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #233
Indiana Jones
Top Gear is back!

Likes (Received): 1

I went to the Texas-Nebraska game this past year. I had a great time and they certainly love football, but the atmosphere wasn't as good as I hoped. I thought it was ok. It seems to me Lane Stadium (haven't been there) is much more raucous than DKR.
Indiana Jones no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:53 PM   #234
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
So even when a bunch of respected sources rank Lane in the top three its still not good enough?
I think this is a case of a grand, nebulous topic and your voice coming off too strongly. Just realize this is a matter of tastes and opinions and don't let it get to you.

During and since graduating Georgia Tech I've been to near every ACC and SEC stadium, plus a few outside those conferences. Lane and Clemson's memorial are easily the most raucous in the conference and among the best in the land, but are often overlooked in the national scale because they lack the size or tradition of many others. But I've also found much of these things are tough to grade on average. FI, LSU's Tiger Stadium is the best I've seen... at night. During the day the mood was much more tepid, especially as it wasn't a big game that day. Conversely, many places like FSU, Tenn and UGA are much better for an afternoon game than under the lights as their fans grow more surly by the hour. (Again, just my opine.)

Again, it's just such a nebulous topic. By atmosphere are we talking about crowd intimidation or overall fan experience? UVA and UNC will never have the most raucous crowds, but comparably speaking they have great facilities in great locations and provided me as a visiting fan a wonderful day of football. (Even in losses.) Whereas Tiger Stadium's impressive stature belies some rather awful facilities behind those stands. Then you factor in rivalry games (which raise the crowd appeal), accommodating pregame festivities, having traditional architecture, etc. Doak Campbell and the Swamp can be downright knee-buckling for rivalry games, much less so for scrimmages against Sisters of the Poor.

I'd say most of what's listed in the poll should be lumped into a top tier and then leave it at that. I can't find a reason to single one of them out as perpetually better than the others.
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #235
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

I will offer this, however, of places I've been:

Wildest interior decorating - The Swamp
The large pieces of orange wall visible amidst the stands is something only a college football fan could love.

Wildest student section (good way) - Camp Randall
Loud, involved, coordinated, fun.

Wildest student section (uh...) - LSU
Loud, obnoxious, pious, prone to throwing drinks...

Wildest scene - Neyland Stadium
By the river, specifically, as the Volunteer Navy makes for a grand and unique experience in college football.

Wildest architecture - Bobby Dodd @ Grant Field
Thanks to limited funds, lack of vision and poor mgmt, the oldest on campus digs in 1A are now the most funky (read: abysmal) in terms of structural design. Sadly.

Wildest location - Mississippi State
Starkville. Mississippi. Need I say more. Well, yeah - Bring clean water and sanitizer.
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #236
Benn

If you're not wearing red the folks in the student section at Camp Randall don't have much of a problem throwing drinks, or anything else handy
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #237
wizziko
Geaux Tigers

It's LSU and its not even close baby!!

LSU vs Florida

LSU vs Florida 2

LSU vs Auburn
wizziko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #238
CentralD

LSU. Why is A&M on the poll and not UT?? A&M doesn't even sell-out their games
CentralD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #239
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralD View Post
LSU. Why is A&M on the poll and not UT?? A&M doesn't even sell-out their games
I dont know...i was down there when Virginia Tech beat them and it was ok i guess, but for the amount of people that were there i wasnt impressed
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #240
wizziko
Geaux Tigers

Quote:
I dont know...i was down there when Virginia Tech beat them and it was ok i guess, but for the amount of people that were there i wasnt impressed
You are crazy man. When those paratroopers came down with the VT and LSU flags the stadium was electric.
wizziko no está en línea   Reply With Quote