daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do you like the atmosphere
Yes 35 40.23%
No 52 59.77%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 2nd, 2008, 01:29 AM   #261
CentralD

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizziko View Post
Texas has a large stadium but the atmosphere sucks. It is pretty quiet for such a large stadium. Maybe this new enclosure of the endzone would help it.

A&M has the 40,000 students at every game doing all of those chants which creates a unique atmosphere.
I've been to six games there. When full, it's an awesome atmosphere. But it ain't full very often.
CentralD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:30 PM   #262
b1gh0u5e

I've been to University of Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Arizona State, and the Rose Bowl among others. As a Michigan fan, it pains me to say this but there were two games I've been to that the atmosphere was off the charts:
1. Michigan at Ohio State 2002: This game clinched an undefeated season and trip to the National Championship for OSU. Attendance was well over 100,000 with an estimated 250,000 people partying outside around the stadium. The crowd rushed the field after the game, tore down the goal posts, got tear gassed, burned sofas and cars in the surrounding neighborhoods...it was insane.
2. Michigan at Ohio State 2006: Both undefeated and ranked #1 and #2 in the country. Late afternoon game into night. OSU had something like 400 former players on the field and the game actually lived up to the hype with a 42-39 score. Not quite as out of control as 2002, but still loud as hell.

Honorable mention: Michigan St. at Michigan 2004 (45-37 multiple OT's)
Ohio St. at Michigan 1997 (20-16 clinched undefeated season)
b1gh0u5e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:10 AM   #263
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
Alexandria-Fairfax County right on Route 1.

That I do agree with. They usually call the Texas crowd the wine and cheese crowd. They wear the colors and support the team. But they hardly stand unless something big happens. I think the problem was that they are too far back. Maybe that will change with the new renovations. I believe Tech fans noticed how different the crowd was this past year and it wasn't even finished.
I will give them this, they do get it up for Dallas... though in recent years they're generally pretty quiet by the fourth quarter (not last year, though, best game I've been to).

What's not been mentioned in detail is just how incredible neutral-site games are. Not only is it a split crowd, the pre-game festivities sometimes even rival the game itself. For OU-texas, in past years the West End in downtown Dallas has been a bacchanal of smack-talk and drunken coeds, with Commerce Street being the epicenter before that (both have waned due to City disapproval). Meanwhile, the State Fair of Texas is going on in the background, hosting the stadium in which the game is played. There ain't nothing like scarfing down Fletcher's Corny Dogs while watching some fratboy puke up the morning's beverages (no, that was not a typo).

Meanwhile, down in Jacksonville, Florida, they like to have a little shindig known as "The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party", aka the annual Florida-Georgia game. Unlike most of the US's "world's biggest" claims, no evidence that I've ever seen exists to the contrary.

Finally, there's the Army-Navy (United States Military Academy - West Point vs. United States Naval Academy - Annapolis) game, which holds a particular place in the college football fan's heart because, well, both teams usually suck. Navy's had its moments over the last few years, but the real tradition comes from about fifty years ago, when the teams were two of the best in the nation. Because of both intercollegiate and interservice rivalry, the disdain between the two fanbases goes beyond palpable. The other aspect of this is the fact that in times such as these, there stands a very real possibility that some of the seniors aren't going to be coming back to the US after they graduate.

Alabama-Auburn used to be a neutral site game. The term currently used for it, the Iron Bowl, refers to Birmingham, Alabama, in which the game was previously played.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:47 AM   #264
40Acres
Texas Our Texas

ou sucks.
40Acres no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:41 AM   #265
StuckInOklahoma

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Acres View Post
ou sucks.
How enlightening!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FK5UkxK5-Jg

StuckInOklahoma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #266
Indiana Jones
Top Gear is back!

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
It's really a case by case basis.

If a banner like the one you posted was positive, it likely would be allowed. It isn't obstructing any views.

If it was negative, stadium security would probably ask the supporters with the banner to take it down. This has occurred before, I just can't remember the specifics.

I really don't understand this, I suppose free speech is limited when one steps in the stadium. If you can get in trouble for protest banners, then could you get in trouble for booing? Ridiculous imo.

Banners like that aren't very common though. They tend to be smaller. There is less fan coordination.

Typical larger NFL banner.

The NFL isn't a quaint atmosphere, but many real fans are priced out and many at the game are not attached to the team like in college. College football has much better fan support. That's it for my overly drawn out explanation.
Indiana Jones no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:40 AM   #267
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshire royal View Post
some one mentioned it had something to do with distracting the players
but other then that nope i have no idea why they dont please explain?
the crowd at an american football game probably has more impact in the outcome of a game than any other sport. here, the home crowd knows when your team is on offense you be quiet and when your team is on defense you are as loud as possible. This is because football has many complicated plays and relaying the signals and plays to your teammates gets pretty hard when you cant hear your own voice. It can lead to false start penalties and overall confusion. Singing and chanting during an american football game is pointless, as it will not distract the opposing teams players. You need pure sound from the fans from screaming. When its said that the fans in american football are the 12th man, they mean it

this is Clemson University vs. University of Miami. Miami is on offense. This is how loud it can get on some plays. Try shouting over the noise here...

en1044 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #268
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5995

Alright, I lied. They do sing here from time to time. btw---this is what college football is all about. Its exactly what Indiana and en are trying to say. These videos are from Wisconsin football.

and dance....

and chant about getting drunk

El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #269
dfrench8456
A Beast A Problem

New England Patriots Fans

dfrench8456 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #270
en1044
Unregistered User

Redskins Training Camp 7/26/08
28,000 in attendance

Old July 28th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #271
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2716

28,000 without any stand?

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 01:02 AM   #272
dfrench8456
A Beast A Problem

Finally Football is almost here!!!!!!
dfrench8456 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 01:40 AM   #273
Big Texan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfentanyl View Post
It looks like a bad GWAR rip-off...
Except these guys have been at it longer then GWAR, as awesome as GWAR is. The Raider Fans are the biggest fanatics EVER!
Big Texan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #274
Big Texan
BANNED

Cowboys Training Camp in Oxnard California

ROMO

Power

T O

NO!!!!!!!!!
Old July 28th, 2008, 03:38 AM   #275
El Mariachi

is Romo wearing an Augusta National golf cap?

Anywho, this is an old thread. Got to love Oakland Raider fans. They all look like such badasses. Cant think of another team in the U.S. that consistently has such a diverse crowd.
Old July 28th, 2008, 04:11 AM   #276
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
28,000 without any stand?
Nope, everyone just stands on the small grassy area around the practice fields. The field shown in the pictures is the one at the bottom left here.

Old July 28th, 2008, 04:28 AM   #277
El Mariachi

Green Bay Packers fans...

Packers football and politics go way back. Even JFK joked about Packer fans.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I was warned to be out of here in plenty of time to permit those who are going to the Green Bay Packers game to leave. I don't mind running against Mr. Nixon, but I have the good sense not to run against the Green Bay Packers""

G-Dubs knows his crowd

Old July 28th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #278
Big Texan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Phillip Banks View Post
is Romo wearing an Augusta National golf cap?
He would be a pro golfer if he didn't have to play Football all the time.
Old July 28th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #279
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

sorry to spark controversy again but wouldn't it be better to bunch all Gridiron together instead of makeing a strictly NFL thread?

Just sayin'...

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #280
Scba

Likes (Received): 1420

No. There's a huge difference between college fans and pro fans.

And this is why there isn't a roof, Europe, before you get there.
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote