daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do you like the atmosphere
Yes 35 40.23%
No 52 59.77%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 30th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #301
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
Isn't their off-season during the winter?
Yes, it was an outright lie. The Russian league plays during the summer. I guess the only time their playing in cold conditions would be at the beginning and at the end of their season.

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #302
berkshire royal

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Phillip Banks View Post

I would love to see a soccer game being played in Europe with the same kind of temperature conditions as last years NFC Championship. -18 C.
off.

There is a reason behind soccer not being played at those temperatures. Firstly the chances of injury are made a lot higher although a lot of Americans say football is a bit of a pussy sport the fact is you have players sprinting and hacking at each others legs and add in that with the amount of jumping and sprinting that is required it can cause an increase in serious injuries. Also it affects the bounce of the ball which isn't a great help either. They do play in snow but if the pitch is frozen the game is called off. Maybe you will apreciate this photo.

Sorry for taking this forum off topic.
Heres to a great 2008 NFL season for you guys. If itís on at a decent time and on a channel I have I will watch it see what the fuss is about. Not sure if I will understand whatís going on but all the same Iím sure I will understand after while and either way Iím sure its well worth seeing if itís on.
berkshire royal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #303
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshire royal View Post
off.

There is a reason behind soccer not being played at those temperatures. Firstly the chances of injury are made a lot higher although a lot of Americans say football is a bit of a pussy sport the fact is you have players sprinting and hacking at each others legs and add in that with the amount of jumping and sprinting that is required it can cause an increase in serious injuries. Also it affects the bounce of the ball which isn't a great help either. They do play in snow but if the pitch is frozen the game is called off. Maybe you will apreciate this photo.

Heres to a great 2008 NFL season for you guys. If itís on at a decent time and on a channel I have I will watch it see what the fuss is about. Not sure if I will understand whatís going on but all the same Iím sure I will understand after while and either way Iím sure its well worth seeing if itís on.
Make sure you watch the Playoffs if anything. If you can get a big time college game i recommend watching that.
Old July 31st, 2008, 12:04 AM   #304
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5995

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshire royal View Post
off.

yeah, I can understand. Just joking about the snow and soccer thing. Maybe the weather argument should be aimed at rugby fans. It would be cool to see a big soccer match played in the frozen winter. I would like to see how extreme climates affect play.

Glad to hear that your interested in the NFL this year. Always nice to see people in other countries take some interest in American football, which is rare. Its initially a difficult sport to understand and get into. After watching a bit of it and getting to know the rules, you might actually find it very fun to watch.
El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 12:15 AM   #305
matthemod

Likes (Received): 95

I tuned into what I believe was the AFL last night, inside a dome or something, and it was San Jose against Philly, and considering i've never watched the game a lot it wasn't too bad.

It seemed a bit too stop/start for my liking, but then I suppose thats a difference in sporting culture. Was like having one moment of really exciting stuff, then a break for 2 minutes. But when it was going the crowd noise was pretty impressive! Considering it was inside a dome I was a bit surprised!

But like I said the sport wasn't the worst thing in the world, i'm gonna have to get used to it as i'm coming to America (Indiana infact) to study for a year, and was defo planning on taking in the sports!

The Colts are top of my list!

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 12:35 AM   #306
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

Myself could never really get into arena football. Part of the excitment of regular football is the amount of space to let the big plays happen.
Old July 31st, 2008, 12:39 AM   #307
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
I tuned into what I believe was the AFL last night, inside a dome or something, and it was San Jose against Philly, and considering i've never watched the game a lot it wasn't too bad.

It seemed a bit too stop/start for my liking, but then I suppose thats a difference in sporting culture. Was like having one moment of really exciting stuff, then a break for 2 minutes. But when it was going the crowd noise was pretty impressive! Considering it was inside a dome I was a bit surprised!

But like I said the sport wasn't the worst thing in the world, i'm gonna have to get used to it as i'm coming to America (Indiana infact) to study for a year, and was defo planning on taking in the sports!

Yeah that was the AFL championship game. Ill be honest i really dont care for the AFL (most of the players were the ones who couldnt cut it in the NFL) but i did watch that game. I can see why breaks in the game can be annoying if you dont really watch it often but remember this- American football is like a chess match. You take it one move (or play) at a time and see how the defense reacts.
Old July 31st, 2008, 01:34 AM   #308
El Mariachi

Quote:

Alot of people from other countries initially complain about the stop and start part of the sport. But the time between plays is barely noticeable when you really get into the game or understand the circumstances. I

I really think you should check out going to a Colts game. They are building a new, cool looking stadium too. I think you will have a great time. Definely, check out your college sports teams too, especially football and basketball. Are you going to Indiana University btw?
Old July 31st, 2008, 01:38 AM   #309
El Mariachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Myself could never really get into arena football. Part of the excitment of regular football is the amount of space to let the big plays happen.
yeah, I agree. Its sort of like indoor soccer. Its exciting, but not as filling as the real deal.
Old July 31st, 2008, 01:39 AM   #310
matthemod

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Phillip Banks View Post
Alot of people from other countries initially complain about the stop and start part of the sport. But the time between plays is barely noticeable when you really get into the game or understand the circumstances. I

I really think you should check out going to a Colts game. They are building a new, cool looking stadium too. I think you will have a great time. Definely, check out your college sports teams too, especially football and basketball. Are you going to Indiana University btw?
I suppose being brought up going to see my local football (soccer) team i've gotten used to the, in relation to American Football, faster pace of the game. But what En1044 said about it being similar to Chess makes it a bit clearer to understand.

Yeah I am going to I.U. at Bloomington, leaving in about 2 weeks infact! Really looking forward to it, especially since seeing the new Colts stadium on here! Do want to check out a game, and who knows I might really like it! (as long as i'm not in those infamous dodgy seats )

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 02:26 AM   #311
El Mariachi

Quote:
I suppose being brought up going to see my local football (soccer) team i've gotten used to the, in relation to American Football, faster pace of the game. But what En1044 said about it being similar to Chess makes it a bit clearer to understand.

Yeah I am going to I.U. at Bloomington, leaving in about 2 weeks infact! Really looking forward to it, especially since seeing the new Colts stadium on here! Do want to check out a game, and who knows I might really like it! (as long as i'm not in those infamous dodgy seats )
yeah, its a bit slower...but thats because of the strategy involved with the game.

IU is supposed to be a pretty cool college. I think you will like it there. The school has a legendary basketball team and they should be pretty decent this year. I recommend going to a game there, in the student section.

Have fun!
Old July 31st, 2008, 02:26 AM   #312
koolio

Likes (Received): 1558

Quote:

What dodgy seats? Didn't you hear what the experts had to say? There are NO seats with obstructed views
koolio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 02:52 AM   #313
en1044
Unregistered User

Quote:

oh IU, good choice my friend. Its a big party school. As other posters said, really try to hit up some basketball games. IU isnt really a football school, its a basketball school, but ou will get to see some good Big Ten games. Being in Indiana, maybe you could make the trek up to South Bend and see college football in its finest form at Notre Dame.
Old July 31st, 2008, 03:46 AM   #314
Benn

Likes (Received): 167

If Notre Dame win more than 3 or 4 games, they were an absolute joke last year.
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #315
en1044
Unregistered User

Bump for my fellow NFL fans
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:59 AM   #316
backupcoolmen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Eagles are gonna eat the cowboys alive tonight
backupcoolmen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #317
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scba View Post
No. There's a huge difference between college fans and pro fans.

And this is why there isn't a roof, Europe, before you get there.
And I was at that game, too (front row/south end zone). It was a BIG playoff win against the Seattle Seahawks and INCREDIBLE FUN!

BTW, the University of Wisconsin's band (see the post on page one) will play at at least one Packers home game each season, too - the Badgers are as popular statewide in Wisconsin as are the Packers. UW's pep band played at that 'snow globe' playoff game, too.

(Too bad they had to lose the conference championship game there the following week against the New York Giants in -20C weather... )

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:31 AM   #318
Phriggin' Ogre
American't

Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Likes (Received): 2304

I hated that game. Bastards.
Old September 16th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #319
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2715

TOPIC: NFL Fan Emotions

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF Andrť Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017