daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do you like the atmosphere
Yes 35 40.23%
No 52 59.77%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 28th, 2005, 05:58 AM   #21
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

Bizarre traditions Americans have. Who would have thought University sports would be so popular.

You would be fortunate to get 10 people to watch a Uni sporting contest in Oz.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #22
40Acres
Texas Our Texas

Likes (Received): 0

Just thought i'd get some stadium pics in here of some of the last few posters' votes:

Louisianna State University Tigers aka "Death Valley"
Baton Rouge, Louisianna
cap. 91,600

After a BIG WIN its tradition to tear down the goal posts

Some of the craziest drunken fans in America:

40Acres no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 08:36 AM   #23
40Acres
Texas Our Texas

University of Florida Gators aka "The Swamp"
Gainsville, Florida
cap. 88,548

Fans to the Gator Chomp

40Acres no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 08:43 AM   #24
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder
Bizarre traditions Americans have. Who would have thought University sports would be so popular.

You would be fortunate to get 10 people to watch a Uni sporting contest in Oz.
Thats what im so confused about...im looking at those jam packed stadiums and im like wtf?
Its really odd too me. Anyway, Its good that its so big. Does the whole university go to the games?
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #25
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Things that have to be understood about college sports:

- The level of play is very high. These are the ahtletes that will soon be in the NFL, NBA, MLS, MLB and Athletics(athletes from all over the world attend American universities to compete in the NCAA, especially in track and field). This is not ordinary amatuer athletics. World records fall each year.

- The level of tradition is huge. Most sports that are known as "American" were born and first played at universities. Football was played at Universities long before the NFL was even a notion. The larger and older universities have had over a century to build huge fan bases and keep storied traditions. You even see this in the uniforms. You have teams like Penn St, Texas or Michigan that wear very basic uniforms that have been pretty much unchanged for decades except for small details. Its almost a beautiful simplicity.

- Because of the large size of the United States, regional rivalries and pride have been grown. Fans cheer for their home state colleges growing up. They usually attend one of those universities as do family members. It becomes a passion and way of life growing up. Wherever you go around the world, you attended that University. Its life. People fly the flags of their university at their homes, and have window stickers showing off their university. Much different than professional team allegiances.

- Related to the above. Fan bases are grown over time. The large stadiums are simply a reflection of growing a fan base over decades. Tradition is of utmost importance for college football, so you simply don't see new stadiums. The old ones are expanded. Modern amenities and luxury boxes are usually fitted in somewhere to please the wealthy alumni. Have to remember that you have fans for life that come to games in addition to the large student populations that attend. You have sellouts every week at these huge stadiums because of this. This isn't like the rest of the world where you have huge stadiums that are rarely filled. These babies are filled for every game. You have schools like Ohio St, Michigan, Tennessee or Penn St that average over 100,000 fans for each game. Not just the big ones.

I can see why all of this might be strange to those outside of the US. It really is unique, but is absolutely great. I guess the continental nature of the US's geography helps create this situation. States are almost like countries in size on other continents. You end up with states like Oklahoma and Texas or Missouri and Kansas that have past disputes really hating each other on the football field or basketball court. I'm not saying its global like world cup, but that's the best thing to compare it to, or even the olympics. Its very regional in nature.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #26
Zaqattaq

Likes (Received): 76

Well said
Zaqattaq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 01:21 PM   #27
Zizu

Thanks for the information. It's sad that there's nothing comparable here in Germany. The feeling of togetherness must be great. I really envy you guys... At least for that
Zizu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 01:29 PM   #28
JacobRit
Nacho Libre

Likes (Received): 1

I lived in Columbus, Ohio for a while with my then girlfriend, as a Brit who supports a 4th tier English Football team that averages 5000 a game to learn that 110,000 people turn up to watch the university play (osu) really boggled my mind, i asked my GF if we could go to a game she laughed and said fat chance! there is a 2 year waiting list for tickets!
Old November 28th, 2005, 01:37 PM   #29
desi_pardesi
BANNED

what about the crowd in USC/OU/Auburn...
desi_pardesi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 01:39 PM   #30
desi_pardesi
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo
Things that have to be understood about college sports:

- The level of play is very high. These are the ahtletes that will soon be in the NFL, NBA, MLS, MLB and Athletics(athletes from all over the world attend American universities to compete in the NCAA, especially in track and field). This is not ordinary amatuer athletics. World records fall each year.

- The level of tradition is huge. Most sports that are known as "American" were born and first played at universities. Football was played at Universities long before the NFL was even a notion. The larger and older universities have had over a century to build huge fan bases and keep storied traditions. You even see this in the uniforms. You have teams like Penn St, Texas or Michigan that wear very basic uniforms that have been pretty much unchanged for decades except for small details. Its almost a beautiful simplicity.

okay, okay.. College Football is way below NFL level. Some players are good (and make it to NFL) but most are too average. Feats that you can acheive in college football would be impossible in NFL (holds true for any other league).
Old November 28th, 2005, 06:10 PM   #31
dave8721

Likes (Received): 6384

I'd have Texas A&M high on the list along with the likes of LSU, Florida, Penn St. Right now the team isn't doing well but when they are there isn't a tougher place to play. Plus the military aspect helps in the tradition (think Army-Navy game).
dave8721 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 07:01 PM   #32
Zaqattaq

I have had season tickets for Penn State for the last 4 years and have been going to the games since I was 2. I think most of you will know we were in a slump the last few years and now we have made an amazing return to the top led by our super freshmen, defence, and michael robinson. But really I think our record is due to our stadium, there has never been such excitement here (since 1986). If anyone was at the OSU game this year they can verify it is the most wild stadium (esp. outside) in the country.
Old November 28th, 2005, 07:05 PM   #33
Zaqattaq

Turn up the sound, this video summarizes Penn State football

For non-American's who are interested in learning about CFB please watch the whole video, you will see what "Happy Valley" is like.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2Penn+State%22
Old November 28th, 2005, 10:05 PM   #34
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by desi_pardesi
okay, okay.. College Football is way below NFL level. Some players are good (and make it to NFL) but most are too average. Feats that you can acheive in college football would be impossible in NFL (holds true for any other league).
Way below because of age and experience. The really good teams are really good though, and the quality of play is higher than one would expect if they knew nothing of college sports.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 01:09 AM   #35
desi_pardesi
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobRit
I lived in Columbus, Ohio for a while with my then girlfriend, as a Brit who supports a 4th tier English Football team that averages 5000 a game to learn that 110,000 people turn up to watch the university play (osu) really boggled my mind, i asked my GF if we could go to a game she laughed and said fat chance! there is a 2 year waiting list for tickets!

Or you could become a buckey
Old November 29th, 2005, 02:10 AM   #36
JimB

Likes (Received): 4783

People shouldn't really be amazed by the level of support for college football in the US.

Firstly, you have to remember the size and population of the country - not far short of 300 million. Remember too that there are only 32 NFL teams (28 until recently). Compare that to say, England, where there are 92 league football (soccer) teams for a population of 50 million. Clearly, the USA needs more than just the NFL to satisfy demand.

Secondly, as has been pointed out, the level of play in American college sports is very high indeed. Most of those involved are on sports scholarships and many hope to, and will, progress to the professional ranks when they leave college. NCAA is the recognised route to a career in sport in the US. By contrast, in Britain (and, I imagine, in continental Europe) in the vast majority of cases, university sports are undertaken by normal undergraduates who have no intention nor hope of ever becoming professional sportsmen and women but whose future careers will include doctors or lawyers or biochemists or journalists or bankers......or piss artists.

Thirdly, NCAA receives huge media coverage, both in the written press and on TV, with many games being screened live. By contrast, other than the University boat race (which is only really televized out of tradition and because it is one university event in which top class sportsmen do compete) no one in Britain knows or cares what happens in university sports because the British media isn't the slightest bit interested.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 03:08 AM   #37
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

LA Is the only city with 2 major universities. USC is currently number one three years running, and they pack the house every weekend with 92,000 fans. USC has a great tradition and a very very large following.

UCLA is also turning it around and has a solid team with good fans. UCLA averaged around 70,000 this year and will surely soon fill up the rose bowl more often as the program is headed in the right direction.

One weekend this season, UCLA and USC both had a gam on the same night and over 170,000 Angelinos were watching Live College football at the same time!

This weekend is the big game between the two at the collesium, and tickets are going for 600$ a pop as the cheapest ticket. According to soem ticket brokers, this game will gross more money than any other game this year, NFL or college. (notre Dame - USC is second)
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #38
BaylorGuy314

Likes (Received): 129

Here is a link to the average football attendance for the 119 universities participating in Division One. The average attendance per game is the 5th column from the left.

You'll notice the following:

4 universities average 100,000+ per game
4 universities average 90,000-100,000 per game
7 universities average 80,000-90,000 per game
6 universities average 70,000-80,000 per game
9 universities average 60,000-70,000 per game
12 universities average 50,000-60,000 per game
16 universities average 40,000-50,000 per game
19 universities average 30,000-40,000 per game
11 universities average 20,000-30,000 per game
29 universities average 0-20,000 per game

Games are about once a week for about 14 weeks during the fall (September-December)

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/Internet/...ATTENDANCE.pdf
BaylorGuy314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 09:26 AM   #39
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4192

i voted penn state. mt dad went there and i have a couple friend that went there. the atmosphere is unbelieveable. if you plan on driving to the saturday game, it is best to leave before thursday because you can spend literally 2 days in traffic waiting to get into the parking lot. i know some people that start to drive up there from delaware on tuesday for the saturday games (normally a 4 hour trip) because the traffic gets bad by wednesday night.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 12:49 PM   #40
Loranga
Hoj!

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx
you can spend literally 2 days in traffic waiting to get into the parking lot.
That sounds boring, why not take the train?
Loranga no está en línea   Reply With Quote