daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do you like the atmosphere
Yes 35 40.23%
No 52 59.77%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 15th, 2005, 07:00 PM   #101
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Watch the movie Johnny Be Good. That's a super exaggerated version of recruiting, though its probably accurate for the 80s. The 80s are known for wild recruiting and lots of cheating.

Watch the movie "The Program" to see about college football. It is of course far too Hollywood, but it shows how big college football is and how the players are students and all. Can anyone think of anymore college football movies?
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2005, 08:12 PM   #102
Iain1974

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo
Watch the movie Johnny Be Good. That's a super exaggerated version of recruiting, though its probably accurate for the 80s. The 80s are known for wild recruiting and lots of cheating.

Watch the movie "The Program" to see about college football. It is of course far too Hollywood, but it shows how big college football is and how the players are students and all. Can anyone think of anymore college football movies?
HS rather than College but 'Friday Night Lights' is pretty good. Shows a bit about the recruiting I suppose.
Iain1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #103
Perth4life3
Now Reborn :)

ive seen that, good movie.
Old December 17th, 2005, 03:38 AM   #104
great prairie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Acres
i'll add to the responses that yes, they are students and most (about 99%) get full scholorships to their universities that they play for. This is considered "payment" for the 3, 4, or 5 years they spend at their universities, as they cannot receive payment in order to keep their amateur status. Thus, the 117 (i think 117, it may be 119) Division One college football programs try to out-do each other by recruiting these high school seniors (last grade in High School before college) around the country. It really IS an amazing system, having hundreds of coaches flying around the country, sometimes driving hours to small towns to watch a friday night high school football game, and have an in-home visit with some 6 foot, 3 inch 310-pounder and his folks in Nacadoches, Tx, for example.
Actually they get a $1,000.00/month check for an apartment etc... they can spend it however they want though. Also they get great tutors and at certain schools they don't have study as hard as your average student and only show up for tests.

Quote:
having the hottest girl on campus host the recruits on their visits to the university (i think this is now banned), taking em out to dinners, etc.
lol go Buffs.....
great prairie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 05:32 AM   #105
moxwax

Likes (Received): 14

Raymond James Stadium - Tampa, Florida, USA
home of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (American Football)

Last edited by moxwax; February 26th, 2008 at 04:51 PM.
moxwax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 07:56 AM   #106
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 33

that last picture is classic. just pure 100% classic. I remember when that pic went around the internet for months. I loved it to. **** the raiders.
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 06:07 AM   #107
Zaqattaq

Likes (Received): 76

A few new Beaver Stadium pics for you

The Wave
Zaqattaq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 09:18 AM   #108
FRITZ LANG

Likes (Received): 3

yeah................
FRITZ LANG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 07:41 AM   #109
StuckInOklahoma

Penn State sucks.
StuckInOklahoma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 07:53 AM   #110
Zaqattaq

Likes (Received): 76

What is someone from Norman, OK doing on a forum like this?
Zaqattaq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 08:18 PM   #111
StuckInOklahoma

Hmm, I guess you're still sour from the ass beating that OU gave your team and grandpa Paterno a while back in the Orange and Sugar bowls. I suppose you aren't old enough to remember that either. Of course, all this recent success is nice, but I guess it's made Penn St. fans cocky.

Have you even been to Norman, Oklahoma before? Typical response from someone who hasn't. Trust me, i've heard much worse.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 08:51 PM   #112
svs

Likes (Received): 12

How can you leave out the Colluseum_USC and Rose Bowl-UCLA. USC-UCLA is the best intracity rivalry in the country. You know where the excitment will be come BSC championship time. Plus you can't beat the huge USC marching band in full battle regalia, the horse running around the stadium and the rose bowl does have the best parade in the country.
svs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 09:02 PM   #113
40Acres
Texas Our Texas

i think if USC or UCLA could actually sell out their stadiums once in a while, he might have included it. LA has some of the most fickle and by far, the country's worst sports fans. They couldnt get rowdy at a Jessica Simpson/Jessica Alba double sided ***** party.
40Acres no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 09:35 PM   #114
StuckInOklahoma

Quote:
i think if USC or UCLA could actually sell out their stadiums once in a while, he might have included it. LA has some of the most fickle and by far, the country's worst sports fans. They couldnt get rowdy at a Jessica Simpson/Jessica Alba double sided ***** party.
LMAO
Old December 24th, 2005, 12:25 AM   #115
moxwax

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
a Jessica Simpson/Jessica Alba double sided ***** party...
oh oh ohhhhhhh

I feel dirty
moxwax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 07:50 AM   #116
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

Quote:
you couldnt be more wrong, but im sick of typing the same stats over ans over. people have some dumb sterotypes stuck in their head that they refuse to overcome. USC has sold out every game this year and i think all but one last year. UCLA, a program that was in the shitter a couple of years ago averaged over 70,000 a game. One weekend there were 175,000 Angelenos watching College football at the same time. On to other sports. The LA Kings sell out most games and average around 99 percent capacity the last three years, the Lakers sell out almost every game and are at 98% capacity, the Clippers average 17000 a game, the Dodgers, with one playoff win in the last 18 years had the second highest attendance last year and drew 3.6 million fans, were the first franchise in baseball to surpass 3 million fans for a season and have done it a record number of times, and no other franchise is even close. The Angels dre 3.5 million lst year and guess what LA is the only metro EVER to have 7 million plus for baseball, and both teams combined ahve drawn over 6 million 3 years running, the only metro to draw 6 million until NYC joined the group this year. The LA Galaxy averaged the highest attendance in the MLS again this year and for every year of its existance and the UCLA Briuns basketball team will average over 10,000 per game as they do every year. the only teams that dont draw well here are the USC basketball team, which will change next year with the new arena and the Ducks who are at roughly 15000 a game.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 09:31 AM   #117
StuckInOklahoma

You have to admit there are a ton of bandwagon USC fans. 68k in the early 2000s to about 90k now. Something definitely wrong there! Also, UCLA couldn't even fill up half the Rose Bowl when Oklahoma came to play. There were about 20,000 Sooner fans there and probably only 40,000 UCLA fans.
Old December 24th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #118
jiggawhat?

Likes (Received): 198

University of Washington For sure when the football team is good!
jiggawhat? no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #119
40Acres
Texas Our Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan
you couldnt be more wrong, but im sick of typing the same stats over ans over. people have some dumb sterotypes stuck in their head that they refuse to overcome. USC has sold out every game this year and i think all but one last year. UCLA, a program that was in the shitter a couple of years ago averaged over 70,000 a game. One weekend there were 175,000 Angelenos watching College football at the same time. On to other sports. The LA Kings sell out most games and average around 99 percent capacity the last three years, the Lakers sell out almost every game and are at 98% capacity, the Clippers average 17000 a game, the Dodgers, with one playoff win in the last 18 years had the second highest attendance last year and drew 3.6 million fans, were the first franchise in baseball to surpass 3 million fans for a season and have done it a record number of times, and no other franchise is even close. The Angels dre 3.5 million lst year and guess what LA is the only metro EVER to have 7 million plus for baseball, and both teams combined ahve drawn over 6 million 3 years running, the only metro to draw 6 million until NYC joined the group this year. The LA Galaxy averaged the highest attendance in the MLS again this year and for every year of its existance and the UCLA Briuns basketball team will average over 10,000 per game as they do every year. the only teams that dont draw well here are the USC basketball team, which will change next year with the new arena and the Ducks who are at roughly 15000 a game.

riiiiiight. average home attendence for usc football this year was 90,812, in a stadium fit for 92,000. These are the so-called "two time" defending champs. They couldnt even average capacity, where schools like michigan, ohio state, oklahoma, texas, tennessee, etc. actually averaged ABOVE capacity. But keep trying. Its not a secret that LA fans are of the "what have you done for me lately" variety. For example, test the attendence of the Clippers according to seasons past. Now that they are decent, they get some good attendence. Why? Because LA fans are full of shit ... i'm sure some laker "fans" have switched allegiences now that the Clips are better.

I wont even embarass you with UCLA attendance in relation to their stadium size.
40Acres no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #120
Iain1974

Quote:
riiiiiight. average home attendence for usc football this year was 90,812, in a stadium fit for 92,000. These are the so-called "two time" defending champs. They couldnt even average capacity, where schools like michigan, ohio state, oklahoma, texas, tennessee, etc. actually averaged ABOVE capacity. But keep trying. Its not a secret that LA fans are of the "what have you done for me lately" variety. For example, test the attendence of the Clippers according to seasons past. Now that they are decent, they get some good attendence. Why? Because LA fans are full of shit ... i'm sure some laker "fans" have switched allegiences now that the Clips are better.

I wont even embarass you with UCLA attendance in relation to their stadium size.
How can a team draw above capacity?
Iain1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote