daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do you like the atmosphere
Yes 35 40.23%
No 52 59.77%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 24th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #121
great prairie

Likes (Received): 0

standing room etc..... benches and not chairs

the only reason USC should be mentioned is the sweater girls
great prairie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2005, 06:37 PM   #122
Iain1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by great prairie
standing room etc..... benches and not chairs
So the capacity can be viewed as more of a flexible figure? 100,000 really means 105 or 110k? Interesting.
Iain1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #123
40Acres
Texas Our Texas

college figures are kind of crazy. Officials count EVERYBODY in the stadium, from fans, to players, staff, service workers, and media members. if you are a big time school playing big time games every week, there is a likelyhood of getting a few hundred extra people in attendence with extra media and, say, security, etc.

The Univ of Texas' official stadium capacity is 80,084, but averaged somewhere around 83,000 this year.
40Acres no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 08:09 PM   #124
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

The benches are marked just like any normal seat back chair. You buy a ticket with row and number, etc, and there is a minimum width of each ticket's place which is due to fire code. So the actual seating capacity is not flexible. the attendance varies from the figures above. The bigger the game, the more media and security, the more people are stuffed into the luxury suites. There are still firecode numbers though. Its not like this is an unruly situation.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 08:22 PM   #125
StuckInOklahoma

Likes (Received): 3

Capacities are higher also because they love to squeeze people in. Usually student sections seats are on a first come, first serve basis. For example, Oklahoma, usually allots 8,000 seats for students but about 10 thousand students show up. It doesn't really matter where you are seated because if you are a student, you WILL have to stand up the whole game. Capacity for Oklahoma Mem. Stadium is 82,112 but we got up to 84, 943 for the A&M game, while the average was about 84,000.
StuckInOklahoma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 08:40 PM   #126
Iain1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo
The benches are marked just like any normal seat back chair. You buy a ticket with row and number, etc, and there is a minimum width of each ticket's place which is due to fire code. So the actual seating capacity is not flexible. the attendance varies from the figures above. The bigger the game, the more media and security, the more people are stuffed into the luxury suites. There are still firecode numbers though. Its not like this is an unruly situation.
Thats a much better kind of regulation than we have in the UK. pre-Taylor we had stadiums with huge standing room only areas that clubs would let in pretty much anyone who showed up. There were huge amounts of under-reporting of crowds becasue there usually were limits for a given section but they would be ignored when the opportunity arose. In fact the Inland Revenue (less pleasent version of your IRS) would use aircraft taking pictures over stadiums to get an idea of just how much tax was being evaded.

One recently demolished stadium, Maine Road used to look like this in the 1920's;

and hold 85,000 fans.

It ended it's days looking like this

When a full house was 35,000.
Old December 24th, 2005, 11:28 PM   #127
great prairie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain1974
So the capacity can be viewed as more of a flexible figure? 100,000 really means 105 or 110k? Interesting.
just whats comfortable in a stadium, the other stadiums like the big house, happy valley etc has fans packed in like sardines even when their teams aren't a defending national champ. The Rose bowl doesn't fill up like this and when USC isn't a national title contender they are several thousand below the capacity....
Old December 25th, 2005, 08:47 AM   #128
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Acres
riiiiiight. average home attendence for usc football this year was 90,812, in a stadium fit for 92,000. These are the so-called "two time" defending champs. They couldnt even average capacity, where schools like michigan, ohio state, oklahoma, texas, tennessee, etc. actually averaged ABOVE capacity. But keep trying. Its not a secret that LA fans are of the "what have you done for me lately" variety. For example, test the attendence of the Clippers according to seasons past. Now that they are decent, they get some good attendence. Why? Because LA fans are full of shit ... i'm sure some laker "fans" have switched allegiences now that the Clips are better.

I wont even embarass you with UCLA attendance in relation to their stadium size.

So out of all that, you come back with that and you say LA fans are not good fans. The clippers have had decent attendance the last few years and they have always had their core group. The Lakers are still averaging 99% capacity. You say LA fans are "what have you done for me lately" fans. Really? the numbers prove you wrong. What have the Dodgers done lately? what have the Kings done lately? the Lakers? and people switching allegiences? dont try to pass that off as an only in LA trait. that happens everywhere. The Nets had no fans whatsoever for how any years and all of a sudden, for a couple years, all the Knicks fans had J Kidd jerseys on. UCLA has never been known as a powerhouse football program and drawing 65,000 - 70,000 is not bad, considering the last few years of this program.

Also, i dont know of any LA stadium that oversells tickets, its just not common practice here. 56,000 is the stated capacity for Dodger Stadium, but it does not hold that many. 92,000 may be the stated capacity for the Coloseium, but it doesnt hold that many. Same with the Rose.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #129
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by svs
USC-UCLA is the best intracity rivalry in the country. You know where the excitment will be come BSC championship time.
I'm grant you that. But when it comes to the rest California rivalry, one could easily make an argument that Cal-Stanford beats SC-UCLA.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 03:33 AM   #130
BaylorGuy314

Likes (Received): 129

I would have to agree with you that USC's (and LA) fans are of the "What have you done for me lately" variety.

Want proof?

Here are the last several years of USC football and the corresponding attendance figures:

1999: 6-6; 57,339 average
2000: 5-7; 57,515 average
2001: 6-6; 57,744 average
2002: 11-2; 66,853 average
2003: 12-1; 77,804 average
2004: 13-0; 85,229 average
2005: 12-0; 90,812 average

Now, I understand that USC is a smaller school, and therefore depends on locals to fill in the crowd. And of course, locals aren't gonna go pay big money to see a 5-7 or 6-6 team play. Nevertheless, many other large schools in tiny towns average their maximum capacity year in, year out, despite the results on the field.

For example, Texas A&M, who is in the little town of College Station, Texas (population of approx. 67,890), has averaged a minimum of 76,000 a year for the last 6 years. Their stadium capacity is just over 80,000. In that time frame, their record is only 45-38.

Like I said, I understand that USC is a small, private school, but there is no point in trying to compare it to the massive state schools like Michigan, Texas, Tennessee, Ohio State, A&M, Florida, FSU, Penn State, etc, etc...

There just isn't a comparison.

If USC were to go back to having several years of 5-7 or 6-6 records, the attendance would drop right back down to the 60,000 mark. LA fans want results. Win, and they will come. Lose, and they won't.

There isn't anything wrong with that. In fact, it makes perfect sense. It's just that a lot of schools in this nation have sold out fan bases win or lose. Of course, for the most part, they are large schools, so that makes sense.

It's just a senseless debate, I guess.
BaylorGuy314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 03:57 AM   #131
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

of course. Thats true of any big city. there are plenty of other things for average fans to do. But the Dodgers, Kings, Lakers are proof that not all of LA fans are like that.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 08:39 AM   #132
40Acres
Texas Our Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan
of course. Thats true of any big city. there are plenty of other things for average fans to do. But the Dodgers, Kings, Lakers are proof that not all of LA fans are like that.
yes, but we're talking about the ROWDIEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL ATMOSPHERES, remember?

There just really is no point comparing LA college football to the schools listed in the poll above. When there is a tier 2 list, i'm sure USC will be included.
40Acres no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 02:02 PM   #133
Troopchina

Likes (Received): 2337

Never been to USA and I must say I am IMPRESSED with college football atmosphere! crowds are massive!

how many games does the team play on home field in one season? when is the season - is it autumn like NFL or..?
Troopchina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 08:40 PM   #134
punkerz123

How bout those crazy badger fans.
"Jump Around" tradition. After 3rd quarter they play the song and students go crazy. They had to ban it for 2 years after complaints. Make the stadium shake, and adults felt 'uneasy'
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...consin+Badgers
lol
punkerz123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 09:11 PM   #135
th0m
oemoemenemoe

Likes (Received): 1

I saw that movie "Friday Night Lights". Liked it alot, and the music was awesome too. Anybody got more good football movies? I know of Rudy and The Longest Yard and all.

ORANJE

www.pbase.com/th0m for photo's
th0m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 09:38 PM   #136
Iain1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by th0m
I saw that movie "Friday Night Lights". Liked it alot, and the music was awesome too. Anybody got more good football movies? I know of Rudy and The Longest Yard and all.
Is the second 'Longest Yard' any good?
Old December 26th, 2005, 11:49 PM   #137
great prairie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troopchina
Never been to USA and I must say I am IMPRESSED with college football atmosphere! crowds are massive!

how many games does the team play on home field in one season? when is the season - is it autumn like NFL or..?
5-7 games and yes all football is played during the fall in America at any level. It is practiced year round but the leagues are only in the Fall.

Quote:
Any Given Sunday is pretty good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0146838/
Old December 27th, 2005, 08:39 AM   #138
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Some of my favorites are:

Remember the Titans(High School)
Radio(High School)
Varsity Blues
The Program(College)
Friday Night Lights(High School)
The Waterboy(College, but a big time comedy. Really love it)
Any Given Sunday(Pro)
Wildcats(High School)
Johnny Be Good(High School and college recruiting process)
Jerry McGuirre(Pro)
Rudy(College)
All The Right Moves(High School)
Necessary Roughness(College)

I'd recommend:
Remember the Titans
Friday Night Lights
The Program
The Waterboy(prepare to be ROTFLMAO)
Rudy
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 01:51 PM   #139
th0m
oemoemenemoe

Likes (Received): 1

Thanks Rantanamo, I've seen some of the movies on that list, but most are new to me. I'll check 'em out.

@Iain, I've only seen the Longest Yard featuring Adam Sandler, and I thought it was an okay movie. One of Sandler's more serious movies, if you will :p

ORANJE

www.pbase.com/th0m for photo's
th0m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 10:16 PM   #140
dave8721

Likes (Received): 6389

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorGuy314
I would have to agree with you that USC's (and LA) fans are of the "What have you done for me lately" variety.

Want proof?

Here are the last several years of USC football and the corresponding attendance figures:

1999: 6-6; 57,339 average
2000: 5-7; 57,515 average
2001: 6-6; 57,744 average
2002: 11-2; 66,853 average
2003: 12-1; 77,804 average
2004: 13-0; 85,229 average
2005: 12-0; 90,812 average

Now, I understand that USC is a smaller school, and therefore depends on locals to fill in the crowd. And of course, locals aren't gonna go pay big money to see a 5-7 or 6-6 team play. Nevertheless, many other large schools in tiny towns average their maximum capacity year in, year out, despite the results on the field.

For example, Texas A&M, who is in the little town of College Station, Texas (population of approx. 67,890), has averaged a minimum of 76,000 a year for the last 6 years. Their stadium capacity is just over 80,000. In that time frame, their record is only 45-38.

Like I said, I understand that USC is a small, private school, but there is no point in trying to compare it to the massive state schools like Michigan, Texas, Tennessee, Ohio State, A&M, Florida, FSU, Penn State, etc, etc...

There just isn't a comparison.

If USC were to go back to having several years of 5-7 or 6-6 records, the attendance would drop right back down to the 60,000 mark. LA fans want results. Win, and they will come. Lose, and they won't.

There isn't anything wrong with that. In fact, it makes perfect sense. It's just that a lot of schools in this nation have sold out fan bases win or lose. Of course, for the most part, they are large schools, so that makes sense.

It's just a senseless debate, I guess.
This is a problem of all small private schools that play in big cities (see Boston College, Miami, Pitt...). You could argue that USC has the most consistent fan support of any of them. Miami made the inexcusable sin of losing 2 games this year and their attendance dropped by like 30%.

Hows this for "what have you done for me lately?"

Miami's attendence the last few years:
2002-3: 69,539 (12-1 record)
2003-4: 58,135 (11-2 record)
2004-5: 59,134 (9-3 record)
2005-6: 45,310 (9-2 record)

Last edited by dave8721; December 27th, 2005 at 10:31 PM.
dave8721 no está en línea   Reply With Quote