daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do you like the atmosphere
Yes 35 40.23%
No 52 59.77%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 14th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #141
Martuh
×××

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxwax
Raymond James Stadium - Tampa, Florida, USA
home of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (American Football)

Our team's only been around since 1976, but we have good fans. Our fanbase extends all around the world and lage groups of followers (other than being all around America) can be found in England, Germany, Amsterdam, and Japan. We're probably not as crazy as some of the established football clubs in Europe, but we're among the best in America. The fans here in Tampa Bay are rowdy as hell and faithful til the end!

"YO HO, YO HO, A PIRATE'S LIFE FOR ME!"
First of all; don't even think about saying you've got groups of followers in Europe.
Second; Just because Amsterdam's won the NFL Europe Bowl, doens't mean we love American Football.
Third; I'm from Amsterdam and never heard of you.
Martuh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2006, 09:30 AM   #142
tmac14wr

Likes (Received): 28

Well I figured I'd show 2 of the stadiums on this list that haven't been represented yet: Clemson and UGA.

I'm a Clemson student and have always been an avid UGA fan. I had the opportunity to go to the Georgia - South Carolina game this past fall, and it was great. The tailgating scene was awesome, and once we got inside the stadium I was really impressed. The fans at UGA are absolutely crazy singing songs about the "Drunk, obnoxious Georgia fans" and constantly barking "GOOOOOO Dawgs! Sic 'em woof woof woof woof woof!", it was a ballsy time for sure. Here's a few pics that I took from the game.

Needed to get a picture of myself 'Between the Hedges'

Sanford Stadium can hold 92,000 screaming fans, but usually they get about 94,000 a game

The game winning TD against South Carolina....Go Dawgs!
tmac14wr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 09:45 AM   #143
tmac14wr

Now time for my favorite: Clemson University.

Death Valley's capacity is about 81,000, but we have fit over 86,000 fans in here before for Bowden Bowl (In case you don't know what Bowden Bowl is, our coach, Tommy Bowden, is the son of Florida State's coach, Bobby Bowden and each year we play each other). This year we nearly broke a sound record for stadium noise when we played the University of Miami...we ended up losing in Triple OT but it was definitely the best day of my life, truly amazing. Here's some pics:

"The 25 Most Exciting Seconds in Football" the running of the Hill. I don't exactly know why they do this, I believe it has something to do with a war tradition of some sort, but it's an awesome time of getting fired up for fans and players alike while waiting for the cannon to fire.

The Sea of Orange

This pic was taken of the hill right after we made a last second field goal to beat Texas A&M 25-24 in our season opener. I'm actually standing about ten rows behind the guy who is holding up the big orange fence on the right hand side.

Here's a rendering of the addition we're putting on our stadium, The WestZone project:

And a construction pic taken awhile ago, it's nearly finished now:

Last edited by tmac14wr; February 2nd, 2006 at 06:36 AM.
Old February 1st, 2006, 06:13 PM   #144
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1490

RUDY RUDY RUDY!!!!!

I still find it amazing that a college team in the US can sell out 80K-100K a game.

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 01:37 AM   #145
tmac14wr

College Football is the best sport in the USA, no doubt. The fact that stadiums sell out 80,000-100,000 a game is a testament to how amazing this sport truly is. There is nothing more exciting than getting caught up in the atmosphere of a great college football town. Before the game I walk from my room to whatever party/tailgate I'm going to. Walking through the middle of town with open beers in front of state police officers and catch up on scores by walking up to strangers tailgates and ask them what's happening so far in the games across the nation. Most people will have TV's with satellites hooked up to the back of their SUV's or pickup truck.

If you haven't had the opportunity to make it to a bigtime college football game in your life, try to make it a point to do so--I promise you will not be disappointed. Beyond the game, there is just something in the air. There is a passion that goes with college football that can't be carried over into the professional level. The rivalries, the wild fans, the fight songs, the chants, and the giant collesium's that they play in can't be matched by the NFL. The NFL has good teams that play each other and call each other their rivals...but they don't compare to what college has to offer. Ohio St.-Michigan, Florida-Florida St., Texas-Oklahoma, Georgia-Florida, Florida St.-Miami, Auburn-Alabama, Clemson-South Carolina, Notre Dame-USC, and dozens of other rivalries are the highlight of every fans season.

Speaking of which, today is Signing Day! If you're not from the USA, then you probably don't know what Signing Day is. It's the one day of the year when all the top high-school football players in the nation officially sign with whatever college they decided to go to for the next season. Most of the sports networks are completely filled with shows talking about who went where and what teams did the best recruiting. How did everyone's team finish up? Clemson finished up at #14 in the nation for recruiting by Rivals.com, and snagged the #1 all-around running back in the nation (#3 by CSTV.com) CJ Spiller (#8 player overall according to Rivals.com) along with one of the top DL's, Ricky Sapp (#18 overall by CSTV.com). We also got a recruit coming from a military prep school who plays wide receiver and was clocked at running the 40-yard dash at 4.126!!!! He was dubbed "The fastest player on the East Coast" by Rivals.com. We finished up #21 in the nation for actual football rankings, but look for us coming up big next season. Clemson should do very very well. Can't wait for the fall!!!
"C-L-E-M-S-O--N!" "Go Tigers! Fight like hell baby, and win!"

Last edited by tmac14wr; February 2nd, 2006 at 01:49 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:12 AM   #146
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac14wr
College Football is the best sport in the USA, no doubt. The fact that stadiums sell out 80,000-100,000 a game is a testament to how amazing this sport truly is. There is nothing more exciting than getting caught up in the atmosphere of a great college football town. Before the game I walk from my room to whatever party/tailgate I'm going to. Walking through the middle of town with open beers in front of state police officers and catch up on scores by walking up to strangers tailgates and ask them what's happening so far in the games across the nation. Most people will have TV's with satellites hooked up to the back of their SUV's or pickup truck.

If you haven't had the opportunity to make it to a bigtime college football game in your life, try to make it a point to do so--I promise you will not be disappointed. Beyond the game, there is just something in the air. There is a passion that goes with college football that can't be carried over into the professional level. The rivalries, the wild fans, the fight songs, the chants, and the giant collesium's that they play in can't be matched by the NFL. The NFL has good teams that play each other and call each other their rivals...but they don't compare to what college has to offer. Ohio St.-Michigan, Florida-Florida St., Texas-Oklahoma, Georgia-Florida, Florida St.-Miami, Auburn-Alabama, Clemson-South Carolina, Notre Dame-USC, and dozens of other rivalries are the highlight of every fans season."
Its a shame that its pretty much totally overshadowed by the NFL outside the US(in my experence anyway) as really it matchs up alot better with what soccer fans hold in esteem. A team should be inseperable from its local community with rivarlys streching over the decades and support passed down though the generations.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:48 AM   #147
tmac14wr

Yea exactly, I think that when you see how wild soccer fans are in Europe, college football fans/atmospheres would compare a lot better to them than NFL fans/atmospheres.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 06:30 AM   #148
tmac14wr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorGuy314
I would have to agree with you that USC's (and LA) fans are of the "What have you done for me lately" variety.

Want proof?

Here are the last several years of USC football and the corresponding attendance figures:

1999: 6-6; 57,339 average
2000: 5-7; 57,515 average
2001: 6-6; 57,744 average
2002: 11-2; 66,853 average
2003: 12-1; 77,804 average
2004: 13-0; 85,229 average
2005: 12-0; 90,812 average

Now, I understand that USC is a smaller school, and therefore depends on locals to fill in the crowd. And of course, locals aren't gonna go pay big money to see a 5-7 or 6-6 team play. Nevertheless, many other large schools in tiny towns average their maximum capacity year in, year out, despite the results on the field.

For example, Texas A&M, who is in the little town of College Station, Texas (population of approx. 67,890), has averaged a minimum of 76,000 a year for the last 6 years. Their stadium capacity is just over 80,000. In that time frame, their record is only 45-38.

Like I said, I understand that USC is a small, private school, but there is no point in trying to compare it to the massive state schools like Michigan, Texas, Tennessee, Ohio State, A&M, Florida, FSU, Penn State, etc, etc...

There just isn't a comparison.

If USC were to go back to having several years of 5-7 or 6-6 records, the attendance would drop right back down to the 60,000 mark. LA fans want results. Win, and they will come. Lose, and they won't.

There isn't anything wrong with that. In fact, it makes perfect sense. It's just that a lot of schools in this nation have sold out fan bases win or lose. Of course, for the most part, they are large schools, so that makes sense.

It's just a senseless debate, I guess.
Definitely agree with the Los Angeles talk (or bashing). Neither USC or UCLA deserve to be mentioned in a "best college football fans" or "best college atmosphere" talk. Their college football fans don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as any of the football teams listed here.

BaylorGuy was talking about College Station's small population of 67,000 and still managed to average 80,000 fans. The town of Clemson, SC has a town population of about 10,000 and student population of 15,000--yet we averaged 80,000 fans a game! That means if every single student goes to the game (which they do) and every single citizen of town goes to the game (which probably 95% do), there is still 55,000 people truckin on down I-85 to come see the Tigers play in Death Valley. And we still average at least 75,000+ in our bad seasons.

Bottom line: LA doesn't know what it means to be apart of a serious football atmosphere.

P.S. Don't think I'm saying that USC and UCLA aren't good teams, because that's obviously not true, but it would be better to see them get better support in front of a rowdier crowd.

P.P.S. Someone mentioned the Miami fans are similar to LA fans. Attendance records may show similarities, but I will tell you that when the Canes came to Clemson this year, they made some noise! They defintiely have a core group of die-hard fans, lots of yelling wars in downtown Clemson on Friday night.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 07:25 AM   #149
thatchio

Likes (Received): 1

Memorial Stadium in Minneapolis (for University of Minnesota)

Under Construction, 1924

Game in 1925

1930 outside

It was torn down in 1992, though they first began building the aquatic center in the place of the field. I couldn't find a picture.

They (the Gophers) have played in the Metrodome (a little ways off campus) since 1982.

The new proposal:
50,000 seat stadium on campus. It'd be expandable to 80,000+.

thatchio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 02:37 AM   #150
NFLeuropefan

How come Alabama gets no props???
NFLeuropefan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #151
Zaqattaq

Likes (Received): 76

Ok I have collected a series of videos to prove Beaver Stadium shits on anything else especially in Ohio or Michigan

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+state&pl=true

Zaqattaq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #152
NFLeuropefan

Nice, but Alabama still kicks ass...
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:37 PM   #153
th0m
oemoemenemoe

Just out of curiosity, how come I hear Zombie Nation in pretty much all of the PSU vids? And I've heard it in a lot of other sporting events as well. Kind of weird to me since while I was in the US not a whole lot of people liked my trance stuff, more of the band-stuff. Or is this just an exception to get crazy 'n all?

ORANJE

www.pbase.com/th0m for photo's
th0m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 08:02 PM   #154
great prairie

Likes (Received): 0

My Top 5 rivalries in College football(no order):
Texas vs Oklahoma
Michigan vs Ohio State
Alabama vs Auburn
Florida vs Florida State
Army vs Navy
great prairie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #155
Zaqattaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by th0m
Just out of curiosity, how come I hear Zombie Nation in pretty much all of the PSU vids? And I've heard it in a lot of other sporting events as well. Kind of weird to me since while I was in the US not a whole lot of people liked my trance stuff, more of the band-stuff. Or is this just an exception to get crazy 'n all?
It has become a tradition at Beaver Stadium over the last few years. The beat of the song is played throughout the stadium while the crowd chants and jumps through most of the game, this is in cooperation with the "whiteout" which has everyone dresses in all white.
Old April 18th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #156
tmac14wr

Beaver Stadium definitely seems to be an awesome place, I'd definitely love to get up there someday. I remember watching the Penn State-Ohio State this past season and wishing I was there, it looked like that place was rockin.
Old April 18th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #157
Zaqattaq

The TV broadcast can not even compare
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #158
40Acres
Texas Our Texas

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by th0m
Zombie Nation needs to die a very ghastly, fiery death. Ugh. Talk about dorky and overplayed in American sports. You can't go a timeout without hearing that shite!

One of the best College Traditions is Wisconsin's Jump Around and their 5th quarter.

I personally enjoy the half stadium chant "Texas" while the other half chants "Fight", as well as Bevo, the Longhorn on the field

... oh and cheerleaders in chaps!

40Acres no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 11:40 PM   #159
NFLeuropefan

Boy, she's got a nice bevo...
Old April 18th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #160
NFLeuropefan

Check that, she's got a PAIR of nice bevos...