daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Do you like the atmosphere
Yes 35 40.23%
No 52 59.77%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 19th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #161
Brent H.

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Acres
Zombie Nation needs to die a very ghastly, fiery death. Ugh. Talk about dorky and overplayed in American sports. You can't go a timeout without hearing that shite!

One of the best College Traditions is Wisconsin's Jump Around and their 5th quarter.

I personally enjoy the half stadium chant "Texas" while the other half chants "Fight", as well as Bevo, the Longhorn on the field
Ha ha ha, its funny, I go to Wake Forest University and at basketball games we play zombie nation all the time, we also play jump around and this one fat fan dances like an idiot during the song, it happens every game, they even put him on the jumbotron so everyone can watch him dance around. Also, just about every school has their own version of the half stadium chant, we do one half saying "WAKE" and the other "FOREST." Probably our most unique tradition is that our mascot rides into our football and basketball games on a motorcycle, the mascot on a motorcycle is used alot in the pros but not college. Funny how so many of these so called traditions seem to be so similar from school to school.

Groves stadium isnt a very wild place and certainly no where near the intensity of other stadiums, but theres nothing I love better than spending a saturday afternoon there cheering on the Demon Deacons. As far as the wildest atmosphere in college football, I know LSU's tiger stadium has quite a reputation. I really want to see a game there.

Last edited by Brent H.; April 19th, 2006 at 07:21 AM.
Brent H. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #162
tmac14wr

Likes (Received): 28

Here's a clip from the Miami-Clemson football game last fall...it compares the sound of what is broadcasted on tv and an on-field camera. We came 2 decibels short of tieing LSU for the sound record.

http://ia300141.us.archive.org/1/ite...rowd_noise.WMV
tmac14wr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #163
jiggawhat?

Likes (Received): 198

Husky stadium no doubt of the University of Washington!

jiggawhat? no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #164
vivayo
BANNED

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Acres
... oh and cheerleaders in chaps!

a proof that a girls doesnt have to be half naked to be sooooooooooooooooooo sexy
vivayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #165
MgoBlue91

Best college football stadium

I go to most games at Michigan and love the place to death, but it is not one of the crazier atmosphere's in college football. It can be under the right circumstances like the comeback, multiple overtime win against MSU or beating Ohio State to finish 11-0. But it is usually pretty subdued and the stadium does not hold sound very well. Still, a crowd of 111,750 is a pretty impressive sight to behold.

My most hated rivals have a pretty big stadium as well and it definately holds in the sound. I have to admit that when Ohio State beat us to finish undefeated a couple years back...that was an amazing scene to be a part of. There were 105,000 people in the game and another 300,000 out tailgating and bar hopping around the stadium. Unbelievable!

Penn State is a fun stadium to go to. Fortunately, I've never been there for a Penn State win...they haven't beaten us for awhile!

I'm going to the OSU/Texas game this fall, so I'll get back to you on Austin.

Wisconsin has a great setting for college football. Notre Dame is full of tradition. Pac Ten football(which is the West Coast big schools) is nothing like the Big Ten or SEC or even ACC for that matter. Although, Oregon has got a pretty cool stadium and scene. It is just a different scene out there at the other schools I've been to. But, most of those schools don't have the history of the East coast and Midwest schools.

I would have to say my vote goes to Michigan Stadium or Ohio State Stadium on the day of the ultimate rivalry game in any sport/any league/any country every year. The tension and excitement of this game is unmatched. It is the highest rated football game year in and year out for television ratings. Both schools have enormous alumni bases and complete state support for that game. This game actually divides families...including my own. There is simply nothing like it.

If I had to choose a place that is crazy all the time no matter who the opponent is...I'd have to go with LSU. The sound there is as loud as it gets.

One side note, if you ever get a chance I highly suggest going to the Rose Bowl game. The setting, the parade, the views, and usually a pretty good football game takes place. Great experience.
MgoBlue91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #166
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Camp Randall

I have to vote for the University of Wisconsin, my alma mater. Camp Randall was built in 1917 and has around 80,000 seats. Oh.. and the f*ckin place gets buckwhile!!!

Ron Dayne pwning Penn State.

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; May 5th, 2006 at 09:32 AM.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:32 AM   #167
Brent H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac14wr
Here's a clip from the Miami-Clemson football game last fall...it compares the sound of what is broadcasted on tv and an on-field camera. We came 2 decibels short of tieing LSU for the sound record.

http://ia300141.us.archive.org/1/ite...rowd_noise.WMV
Shame they lost that game, I cant stand Miami.

Ive been to Memorial Stadium a few times, twice for Carolina Panthers games, and in 1993 for homecoming against East Tenn. State. Id like to go back, maybe next time Wake Forest takes the trip to Death Valley. You know, Groves Stadium's noise and homefield advantage isnt anywhere near what Mem. Stadium is, but the Tigers always seem to have a lot of trouble when they come to Winston-Salem.
Brent H. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #168
Fear of Heights

"How come Alabama gets no props???"

I'm not sure. Bryant Denny Stadium is plenty impressive enough on game day to be included amongst the above list. I wish I knew how to post pictures. I'll post some links if I can find some good ones.

Here are a few:

www.collegegridirons.com/sec/images/bryantdenny100.jpg

www.collegegridirons.com/sec/images/bryantdenny102.jpg

www.collegegridirons.com/sec/BryantDennyStadium.htm

Bryant Denny is currently undergoing a North endzone expansion that will bring capacity to approximately 92,000 (92,158 to be exact). Here are a few shots:

From the outside:

i2.************/x5qy6r.jpg

i3.************/x5qv5d.jpg

Now from the inside:

i2.************/x5r19u.jpg

Last edited by Fear of Heights; May 5th, 2006 at 11:57 PM.
Fear of Heights no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:03 PM   #169
Fear of Heights

Expansion coming along nicely. The DKE house in the foreground looks like it's about to be swallowed up though. Kind of like the big fish being eaten by the bigger fish in the food chain pictures.

s42.photobucket.com/albums/e315/bamamobile/Stadium%20Photos521/
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:11 PM   #170
Fruit Machine
BANNED

Question regarding the stadium upgrade - taking into account the DKE house in the foreground picture and the cost of the total upgrade compared to the increase in capacity, could you explain to me why Americans are so fat?
Fruit Machine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #171
40Acres
Texas Our Texas

How many fat scottish does it take to collapse a stairway?

Bonus question, how many will die?

BWHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
40Acres no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:08 AM   #172
Fruit Machine
BANNED

2,752 is the number it takes to collapse two stairways!!!
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:12 AM   #173
Jeremy Paxman
BANNED

Glasgow is the heart attack capital of Europe.
Too many deep fried Mars bars.
Try grilling them instead.
Jeremy Paxman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #174
Fruit Machine
BANNED

It's celtic fans than make this stat true. They can't afford proper food, and so steal Mars Bars and fry them!!
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:18 AM   #175
Fear of Heights

Someone posts pictures of a stadium and all you can say is something about Americans being overweight? You're a dude
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:14 AM   #176
eomaha.com

Likes (Received): 13

Oh come now... the mecca of college football is Lincoln, Nebraska. Home to the nation's longest sell out streak... dating back to 1962!! Look out in 2006... the new Husker AERIAL attack is hitting full stride!

Memorial Stadium, with this years addition of over 6,000 seats... capacity is well into the 80,000 range.

Here's a photo from a SPRING scrimage game!! :P

Other photos...

eomaha.com no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #177
40Acres
Texas Our Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomaha.com
Oh come now... the mecca of college football is Lincoln, Nebraska. Home to the nation's longest sell out streak... dating back to 1962!! Look out in 2006... the new Husker AERIAL attack is hitting full stride!

Memorial Stadium, with this years addition of over 6,000 seats... capacity is well into the 80,000 range.

Here's a photo from a SPRING scrimage game!! :P

Other photos...

Glad you made it onto the stadiums board. That spring game pic is freaking awesome. Can't wait to play NU up in lincoln this year. That should be a great game. BTW, i gave your stadium lots of props in another thread about "US stadiums without roofs", and posted those 3 other pics you showed here.
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #178
eomaha.com

Likes (Received): 13

Thanks there fellow Big 12.

No offense... but I'm glad you're going to be short a certain QB and running back!
Same goes for our trip to Southern Cal!

(oh, who am I fooling... you guys are going to just re-load)
eomaha.com no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:50 AM   #179
el pato

Likes (Received): 1

Some picks of Autzen.

The Fog at the 2005 Civil War

el pato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 02:50 AM   #180
40Acres
Texas Our Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by el pato
Some picks of Autzen.

Autzen is badass. How many people fit in there now?

This is what you get when the founder of Nike is your #1 alum ... unfortunately, you also get these uniforms

and this mascot:

yikes. UO needs a throwback season, pronto!