daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #21
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

WHAT?!
They are demolishing it?
My god. I am horrified. The reason I've been looking is because my family founded a few of the towns(according to legend.) and it has been such a family honor to have been the founders of medieval towns.
Is there anyone trying to stop this?
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #22
Clay Hefner

Likes (Received): 310

Yeah, there is resistance by some residents, the church and environmentalists.
It doesn't look good though. They are planning to destroy the following settlements in the area.

Otzenrath, Immerath, Spenrath, Berverath, LŘtzerath, Kuckum. Borschemich, Keyenberg, Pesch, Holz and Holzweiler

Here's some site about the mining plans. It's in german but the pictures speak for themselves. They are planning to create a big lake in the area once the mining operations are done...

http://www.erkelenz.de/de/Braunkohle...er_II_neu.html
Clay Hefner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 11:00 AM   #23
urbane

Likes (Received): 82

What would be equally interesting is to know which of the heavily bombed German city did the best job at reconstruction.
urbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #24
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Probably Munich. Even though it was bombed quite heavily, it looks great today.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #25
Chris_533976

Likes (Received): 26

Munich isnt perfect, there is quite a lot of modern crap about, but overall it does look fairly old style, which is good. Lots of the historic stuff was rebuilt well.
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #26
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Hefner View Post
The reason you didn't find anything is that you have to transcribe the umlaut "Ř" as "ue". LŘtz named after the LŘtz creek (LŘtzbach) in the area.
But I'm afraid I have bad news for you!
This village exists since 1168, but it will be destroyed and cease to exist in 2017 due to strip mining operations!

(wiki)
I find it outrageous to use strip mining methods in populated areas. Its a mysterium for me that there is not more opposition in Germany. They turn off nuclear power plants because people have an abstract fear of radiation and airports do not get expanded because neighbors think its to noisy. And then they tear down whole towns and villages and destroy cultural land for coal. Germany is rich enough to buy its coal abroad. Coal is bad for the climate anyway . Where are all the eco hippie freaks if you need them?

At least the people get some nice houses afterwards:

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Last edited by goschio; September 20th, 2008 at 02:52 PM.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #27
Clay Hefner

Quote:
The saddest part is this is one of the better designs in the pdf. The new settlements will be a joke, a caricature of the old hamlets. The basic idea of having different zones with different levels of adhering to local building traditions is good per se. But we all know how this will turn out. The requirements are just too low in the crucial inner zone.

There should at least be some rule that all buildings built before a certain year (maybe 1918) must be translocated or at least reconstructed 1:1.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:06 PM   #28
socrates#1fan

yes!
Our sick addiction to fossil fuels is going to cost us so much heritage.
Coal is filthy. They could at least relocated the buildings until the stripping is finished.
AH my whole ancestor's region will be under water! Wonderful!
How do I know if any of my ancestor's homes are there? My ancestors put so much work into those towns and now they are to be demolished when nuclear plants are available!
Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:08 PM   #29
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
I find it outrageous to use strip mining methods in populated areas. Its a mysterium for me that there is not more opposition in Germany. They turn off nuclear power plants because people have an abstract fear of radiation and airports do not get expanded because neighbors think its to noisy. And then they tear down whole towns and villages and destroy cultural land for coal. Germany is rich enough to buy its coal abroad. Coal is bad for the climate anyway . Where are all the eco hippie freaks if you need them?

That is an ugly house.
Probably doesn't compare to the medieval architecture that stands now.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:05 AM   #30
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
That is an ugly house.
Probably doesn't compare to the medieval architecture that stands now.
Don't get fooled by the few pictures you saw. Not everything is medieval and heritage. There is, like in most other towns, a large proportion of normal suburban homes constructed after WW2.

IMO, they should at least reconstruct the old buildings including church. That said, such houses are nothing special in Germany. You see them in every little town across the country. Home owners are probably much less enthusiastic about rescuing the towns heritage. They just want the money.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 04:12 AM   #31
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3395

How about Miltenberg
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=700186

Tom_Green está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 04:38 AM   #32
Clay Hefner

Yeah , I'll post part three tomorrow, sorry for the delay.
Old October 12th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #33
urbane

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
Probably Munich. Even though it was bombed quite heavily, it looks great today.
I also thought of Munich, but I don't know enough German cities well enough to compare.

By the way, Munich's housing stock apparently wasn't bombed as heavily as that in cities of NRW, or Wuerzburg, or Darmstadt (for example). See this map below which was posted by someone here on SSC a long time ago. Surprisingly, according to this map, even West Berlin's houosing stock wasn't damaged as heavily as I thought (hard to believe).

Certainly Cologne did a terrible job (if any at all !!). Frankfurt did only slightly better: still pretty bad though. What surprised me about this city is that quite a few historic buildings like the Alte Oper, the Ostzeile Roemerberg, or the Schwarzer Stern were renovated or completely rebuilt decades after WWII.
urbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #34
napolit

Likes (Received): 8

Very interesting thread, thanks to everybody , I have learnt very much and now I would like to visit some of these cities you have spoken about (about all Augsburg).

I would like to show you my impression of some german cities. I was 10 days in Leipzig and Weimar and I love them!! I lived there some of my most beautiful days : )). I love these cities and I was impressed with them, about all I love the so clean they were ..., but I felt very stragne in them, I don't say exactly how to describe my feelings, but I can say that they were like "artificial cities", old buildings built and painted the last year. For this reason I always fall more in love with other kind of cities where you feel an old atmosphere like Veneza or Lisbon, they are so charming. Have I explained well enough? Anywayyy, I would recommend everybody to visit these cities, they are charming too, the difference is that these saxonian cities have other kind of charming for me . What are your impresions?

Last edited by napolit; October 18th, 2008 at 02:17 AM.
napolit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:45 AM   #35
dzejsek

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbane View Post
I also thought of Munich, but I don't know enough German cities well enough to compare.

B
Shouldn't it be Dresden?
dzejsek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #36
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzejsek View Post
Shouldn't it be Dresden?
Only a small part of Dresden's "Altstadt" is beautiful (very beautiful, indeed!), but the rest of the city center is quite ugly an full of commieblocks. Then again, the outskirts of the city are quite beautiful.

Dresden:
very beautiful/very ugly= mediocre city overall

Munich:
beautiful/mediocre= quite beautiful city overall

Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #37
HS
I am the passenger

Likes (Received): 4606

If we're speaking about cities, which was German before IIWW, but after the war they are in Poland we can add Zabrze (Hindenburg O.S.), Bytom (Beuthen, O.S.) and Wałbrzych (Waldenburg, N.S.)
HS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #38
Dinuś
Railfan

Likes (Received): 18

Wasn't Leipzig one of the least destroyed big German cities?
Dinuś no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #39
napolit

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinuś View Post
Wasn't Leipzig one of the least destroyed big German cities?
During the Second World War, the city did not withstand the bombing and was very badly damaged. 60% of the city centre was destroyed and some 6000 people were killed.

http://www.music-opera.com/site_engl..._leipzig_e.htm
Old February 18th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #40
william of waco

Likes (Received): 258

Has anybody ever done a thread on the town of Ravensburg? There are a few old photos from the early 1970s I saw over at wikimedia and I gotta tell you, that town seemed to be remarkably well preserved. I compared these photos with an old print by Merian from 1649 and most of the buildings in the old print still seem to be standing.
I have also looked at recent photos of the town, and sadly, the patination(Is this a correct word?) I saw in the photos had been lost to what may or may not have been an overzealous restoration. Still, all the buildings remain in their original form.
I have searched the forums here, still getting the hang of it, as this site has turned out to the most amazing repository of photos I have veer seen. But still havent found any photos on Ravensburg.
william of waco no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, europe