daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2010, 12:35 PM   #61
Botswana

Likes (Received): 30

Out of the big cities, probably Munich. It's very beautiful, but it does have lot of modern stuff too, but it doesn't really interfere too much with the historical center like in Berlin. I don't think any major city can escape modern architecture. Even cities like Rome, Paris and Vienna have ugly skyscrapers.
Botswana no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:15 PM   #62
wolfpaw

Likes (Received): 116

Although Munich was very badly damaged during WW2. We can only be thankful that such masterpieces as the stupendous Residenz have been carefully reconstructed and restored.

http://www.residenz-muenchen.de/engl...m/zerstoer.htm
wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #63
MattN

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
WHAT?!
They are demolishing it?
My god. I am horrified. The reason I've been looking is because my family founded a few of the towns(according to legend.) and it has been such a family honor to have been the founders of medieval towns.
Is there anyone trying to stop this?
I appreciate that these posts are somewhat old, but I think there has been some confusion. Lütz, the first place you asked about and were given a link to by Clay Hefner, is in Rheinland-Pfalz, which is more or less in the south west of Germany and so is presumably the place you were looking for. Therefore, since you said Lutzerath is in the same area, and there is a village of this name just down the road from Lütz, this is presumably where you were looking for. It is not however the place that Clay Hefner linked to in response. That is Lützerath in Nordrhein-Westfalen, which is indeed under threat of demolition for a lignite mine which has happened to scores of other villages in this area. It would seem he was confused by the fact that only one of the villages you asked about had the umlaut in its name. You will be pleased to know then that your Lutzerath isn't being demolished after all.
MattN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #64
Clay Hefner

Likes (Received): 310

O_o
Clay Hefner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 02:10 AM   #65
ssd1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

The post-war reconstructions are absolutely not necessary.

Not the same again.
ssd1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:56 AM   #66
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57960

^

When do we finally get rid of this strange Japanese troll?

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 02:55 AM   #67
Botswana

They're so annoying, and they always have that smiley face at the end of their posts. It's a blurb of absolute nonsense, followed by a condescending emoticon.
Old April 1st, 2010, 04:17 PM   #68
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

-- Deleted post --

Last edited by erbse; April 1st, 2010 at 06:05 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 04:25 PM   #69
erbse
LIBERTINED

-- Deleted post --

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Last edited by erbse; April 1st, 2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old April 1st, 2010, 04:31 PM   #70
LOVECITY
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

-- Deleted post --

LOVECITY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 05:18 PM   #71
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

-- Deleted post --

Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:36 AM   #72
wolfpaw

Eh?? Can you unban erbse please?! He's a very good member and makes a lot of interesting posts!!

Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:59 AM   #73
Botswana

April Fools probably.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 04:34 AM   #74
Nabucco
no pienso, pero existo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpaw View Post
Eh?? Can you unban erbse please?!
Well done, many spam with Neubrandenburg
Nabucco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 02:34 AM   #75
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbane View Post
What would be equally interesting is to know which of the heavily bombed German city did the best job at reconstruction.
I would also consider Hamburg. This city was the first to be utterly obliterated in July of 1943. While much of the destroyed parts and buildings have not been rebuilt, they remain as ruins so hope is still there that one day a developer may reconstruct.

Lubeck is another.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 02:56 AM   #76
keepthepast

In terms of untouched or semi-untouched in the war, Bamberg also rises to the top of the list. Gorgeous city.

Also, Coburg...once the literal capital of european royalty. It got thru with war essentially safely.

But, the sad and unfortunate truth is that Germany, unlike other European nations, had several large, attractive, and important cities due to the manner in which the nation was created--by joining many nations/states together. With only a very few major and second tier cities making it throught Churchill's terror bombing without an overwhelming amount of destruction, it was, and remains, a nearly impossible task to recreate what was lost.

the modernists often times feel that a new look will help ease the historical pains. Hogwash. I think the visual assault of misplaced glass and steel only underscores the losses.
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #77
wolfpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post

But, the sad and unfortunate truth is that Germany, unlike other European nations, had several large, attractive, and important cities due to the manner in which the nation was created--by joining many nations/states together. With only a very few major and second tier cities making it throught Churchill's terror bombing without an overwhelming amount of destruction, it was, and remains, a nearly impossible task to recreate what was lost.
I agree. In my opinion pre-war Germany had the most architecturally interesting and important cities north of the Alps. There was certainly nothing in the UK to compare with Nuremberg, Dresden, or a dozen others I could mention. I would suggest that there were more medieval houses in Frankfurt than in the rest of the UK's cities combined.
Old April 10th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #78
vittorio tauber
Doing It My Way

Likes (Received): 15513

I thoroughly agree.

I loved the city of Erfurt whose mainly medieval urban texture escaped WWII almost unscathed.

Germany has lost loads of interesting architectures, still a lot has been deservedly rebuilt. And I'm glad your planners deem the work of reconstruction is not over yet.

Whenever I travel "north of the alps" I find german cities the most interesting ones by far, whereas in other countries you can find extremely well kept towns - which seldom touch my heart though.
vittorio tauber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #79
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpaw View Post
I agree. In my opinion pre-war Germany had the most architecturally interesting and important cities north of the Alps. There was certainly nothing in the UK to compare with Nuremberg, Dresden, or a dozen others I could mention. I would suggest that there were more medieval houses in Frankfurt than in the rest of the UK's cities combined.
Right. I think the anger and jeolosy of Churchill's inner circle as well as Roosevelt's that Germany had such a treasure of architectural jewels led them to want to pulverize the nation. Clearly, the mass carpet bombing was not just to win militarily. Churchill was a rabit Germanophobe and he had wanted the nation turned to dust since the early 1900s.

And, as noted, Germany offered the longest list of bomber targets of the era.

Unfortunately, rebuilt medieval structures are "fake" in terms of authenticity of the originals. nonetheless, rebuilds with an allegiance to the original design and intent is far superior to making everything look like another McDonald's.
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #80
erbse
LIBERTINED

^ Totally agree to this.

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, europe