daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #201
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

Wouldn't an even worse loss prompt more layoffs?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #202
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Wouldn't an even worse loss prompt more layoffs?
Exactly! The British Airways cabin crew could be putting themselves out of a job forever. On top of BA’s already huge losses recently, this strike action could kill the airline.

This is cutting your nose off to spite your face.

I did laugh when the Union representative said on TV “Part of the reason behind this is Cabin Crew wants to be able to continue to offer great customer service, they will not be able to do this with less crew members on each flight”. Is he having a bloody laugh? I think passengers would rather 13 crew members on an aircraft, one less than the usual 14, rather than no flights operating at all.

Judging by comments being made on TV by passengers at the airport, it appears BA Cabin Crew are getting zero sympathy from passengers and rightly so in my opinion.

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #203
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

BA strike reaction
14 December 2009

Bob Atkinson, travel expert from travelsupermarket.com, described the cabin crew strike as “double disaster” for British Airways.

“Its customers are now going to be significantly affected and the airline will take a financial hit from the action,” he said.

“It’s an incredibly sad day for the British Airways brand. It’s 12 years since BA staff members have taken direct action and, whilst they may believe they have a strong case in their disagreement with BA management, the real losers here are the everyday leisure and business customers who will have their Christmas and new year plans disrupted.”

Atkinson added: “The union could have easily opted for a time when fewer passengers are travelling. After all, they are the people who pay for the tickets that ultimately pay the crew’s wages.

“So the action is unlikely to gain sympathy from the public who will just see this as a selfish attack on the people the crews need to keep them in work. Both the union and BA need to be very clear to customers how they are going to be affected.

“Customers who booked before the ballot announcement on 2 November and have insurance to cover for strike action will be able to recover losses from making new bookings.

“However, customers who booked after 2 November, or those with no insurance, will be left high and dry to find new arrangements. They will be refunded for the price of their original ticket by BA and even if BA try to find alternatives for customers availability is already very tight.

“BA still has a cost base that is far too high for it to compete in today’s economy and even after the changes that have been announced recently by the airline, there is still a long way to go to get costs, including those of crew, down to realistic levels. Without addressing these BA has a questionable future.

“Whatever the issues between BA, its staff and their unions, discussions should happen behind closed doors to resolve their issues and allow the Great British travelling public to carry on with their holiday and travel plans.

“All parties must get on with resolving this issue with some urgency ahead of the planned industrial action.”

*EasyJet UK General Manager Paul Simmons said: “Don’t take the risk of being disrupted by strike action this festive season.

"For the duration of the disruption, we will offer BA Gold Executive card holders free Speedy Boarding, just show your card at the airport to take advantage of this.”

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
Old December 14th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #204
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Not alot of love for BA in the UK...

Quote:
Well done BA, that’s one way of getting Christmas and New Year off.

Quote:
I may never forgive the Flight Attendants for deliberately taking me and thousands of other families hostage as a bargaining chip with maximum (Christmas) impact. Don't pretend otherwise, that is precisely what you are consciously and freely choosing to do.

Not only do I have to look for another ticket, at perhaps a much higher price, but I CANNOT EVEN DO THIS as they have chosen to announce the strike only 7 days beforehand (minimum required by law) to maximize the inconvenience to their customers at Christmas, and in some deluded sense, to 'get' their management. My family in Australia have been sweating over this with me for more than a month; Nice Christmas gift BA FA's!

, I am now totally against the cause of the BA flight attendant and will announce this to them all freely, if they should dare to make any comments about their plight on a future flight (as they did in Nov on a recent flight), if I ever have one on BA.

What a shame; a great airline losing me as one of their best premium customers because of the industrial terrorism of their staff and the inability of management to mitigate the situation. But, this time, I blame the FA's for their dastardly anti-Christmas spirit.

Quote:
Could spell TROUBLE for BA in the long run.
They're already in the Pooh financially.
This latest madness will just ensure that they
DO go down. Just totally crazy....
They'll all finish up working for Branson.
If He'll have them that is.

Quote:
Turkeys and Xmas come to mind here. WW should sack the lot of them immediately and start getting cabin staff in who will accept the new terms on offer..

Quote:
Thanks alot B.A. Cabin Crew Now who's going to call my Mum in Seattle and tell her the super news..

Quote:
My family won't be happy:
Five people - full commercial fare - business class - JFK-LHR return.
When Mrs Basil gets in she'll blame me personally for not having the grandchildren visit

Quote:
Yep, and those who join Virgin will earn LESS than the proposed/amended salary! Goodbye BA... the unions helped their members just like they did with Rover MG/BL etc. Will the world and the industry cope without BA? Absolutely!

Quote:
these are the same people who will be crying into their hot chocolates when the compnay collapses and they havent got a job. I like most people on here have booked with BA to go away over the new year... my only holiday this year........ thanks for ruining it

Quote:
And just before this is moved to Jetblast just remember us who buy the tickets
pay you who are the cabin crew.

Have a look at the Daily Mail reaction today and take a rain check.

BA..we don't need you anymore

Quote:
Well done BA cabin crew hand a golden ticket to all airlines at London Heatrow.
Seeing as I work on the ground for another LHR based airline that BA will pay to re-route its passengers under IATA rules. It will cost BA millions! So short sighted of them. Oh well BA going down the pan. Looks like Virgin and bmi will have a busy Christmas picking up BA’s mess, as always.

Quote:
This proposed Christmas strike has the stink of spite all over it. Sod them all. "Heavy hearts" my arse. There isn't one heart among them all.

BA should hire in spare aircraft/crew from other airlines (especially from Easyjet and Ryanair - just for spite) and leave these wasters to rot on their picket lines. I'm sure there are thousands of currently jobless CC who would jump at the opportunity to get back to work.

Quote:
Let them go bust....we don't need BA

Quote:
BA have messed me about for the last time. They will never get another penny from me. Off to book a new flight.

Quote:
The heavy hearts are surely among the passengers who will never again trust their holiday flights to these leamings. It is not even that they do an outstanging job either. 3 relations returning from Vienna last evening vowed to try any airline but BA next time - aircraft tatty, service careless and haphazard. Pretty much my experience on shorthaul particularly.

Neither BA or its customers owe these people a living as they might soon find out if they continue to wear blinkers in the modern airline world.

Old December 15th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #205
alitezar
Persian 44

Likes (Received): 5593

omg, how inconsiderate of them. Unions are the worst things ever created..they should all vanish.
alitezar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #206
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

BA strike reaction - Turkeys do vote for Christmas
15 December 2009

So in these difficult times, when airlines need every revenue mile to survive AND keep their staff in jobs, they decide to, and without thinking, throw it all away because they are swayed by barrack room barristers (Unite union).

Truly the Turkeys do vote for Christmas. My thoughts are with those whose plans are in tatters and the brave staff who voted against this lunacy.

BA takes hard line against strikers
15 December 2009

British Airways is reworking flight schedules for the threatened 12-day strike by cabin crew but is adopting a hard line against the Unite union.

The airline said decisions would be announced as soon as possible over how it intends to cope with the industrial action over Christmas and the new year.

Passengers bookings between December 22 and January 2, or for 48 hours either side of those dates, can rebook to travel at a later date.

Those who booked through a travel agent are advised to contact their agent, BA said.

“We will not be withdrawing the minor changes we have made to onboard crew numbers from Heathrow, which bring crewing levels into line with equivalent flights from Gatwick,” BA said. “Crew numbers at Gatwick have been in place for many years with Unite’s agreement.

“We have made clear to Unite that we want them to talk to us about their ideas for the recruitment of new crew in future when the business is in a position to grow. That invitation remains open.

“Unite’s claim that changing onboard crew numbers from Heathrow is a contractual issue, with which we disagree, will be resolved by the courts in February.

“A 12-day strike over Christmas and New Year can have no effect in determining this issue.”

BA chief executive Willie Walsh said: “A strike is senseless – and we urge Unite to draw back. We will not be reversing our changes to onboard crew numbers.

“They have allowed us to accept more than 1,000 requests for voluntary redundancy – and those former colleagues have left the business.

“Unite must understand that there can be no return to the old, inefficient ways if we want to ensure long-term survival in the interests of our customers, shareholders and all our staff.

“They have no justification for threatening such extreme action. It is very sad that they are seeking to use the Christmas holiday plans and family reunions of hundreds of thousands of people to try to pursue their case.”

BA described the 12-day strike plan as being “completely unjustified” and a “huge over-reaction” to what it described as “modest changes” announced for cabin crew which are intended to help the airline recover from record financial losses.

“Thousands of staff across the company have made contributions to the cost reductions that are essential to move the company back toward profitability. Our cabin crew, who are rightly renowned for their professionalism and skills, cannot be exempt from this process,” the carrier said.

“Our package for them is very fair and reasonable. It reduces no-one’s terms and conditions, and gives most crew pay rises of between two and seven per cent this year and next year.

“British Airways’ cabin crew are already the best rewarded in the UK airline industry.”

Old December 15th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #207
[email protected]
Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 6407

Someone should really give them a Darwin Award.

Add that strike to the long list of reasons why I refuse to fly with BA for years.
R@ptor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #208
askgricin

Likes (Received): 0

I accept with information:
Hours before the ballot result was revealed, BA announced that the deficits in its two pension schemes had grown from £2.1 billion in 2006 to £3.7 billion, an increase of 76%.

The airline in a statement: "The airline and trustees will now work together to develop a recovery plan, a process which will involve the company consulting with employees and their trade unions.

Commenting on the cabin crew ballot outcome, Bob Atkinson, from travelsupermarket.com said: "This is a double disaster for BA.
askgricin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 03:32 AM   #209
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4248

BA should just fire the complete crew and get a new one from India.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #210
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 107

BA strike rattles travellers

16 Dec 09

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_467233.html

By Judith Tan and Maria Almenoar

WHEN British expats James and Elaine Blanchard go home for Christmas next week, they may find themselves in the thick of a planned British Airways (BA) strike.

They are set to land in Heathrow Airport in London on Tuesday, when the 12-day strike is set to begin, and have a connecting BA flight to Scotland. Mr Blanchard, 37, who works for an oil company, said: 'I am banking on the strike history of BA. Strikes usually would not happen at the eleventh hour due to all the bad press and passenger pullout.'

The last planned strike in 2007 was called off at the last minute. However, his wife, also 37, is worried. She recalled that in 2007, flights had already been cancelled and chaos had ensued before the BA staff stood down. This time, 'I hope we do not end up taking a 10-hour bus journey to Scotland when it would have taken us one-and-a-half hours by air', she said.

The planned walkout by around 13,000 BA cabin crew would ground Heathrow's largest carrier, sparking a scramble for tickets on rival airlines. BA customers with bookings between Dec 20 and Jan 4 can rebook to travel at a later date. Those who booked through a travel agent are advised to contact their agent. More details will be available at www.ba.com.

Other travellers making their way to and from Britain on other airlines do not need to worry. Airlines are confident the strike will affect only BA operations. Singapore Airlines, which operates 21 flights a week to Heathrow, said none of its flights would be affected by the strike.

Qantas said all its services would operate as scheduled. It would also have sufficient capacity on existing services to accommodate passengers booked on BA codeshares. But Qantas customers who are booked on BA services out of London and into Europe may face some inconvenience.
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #211
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Passengers lash out at British Airways workers as airline launches legal action over strike
15 December 2009

LONDON (AP) - Recession-weary passengers lashed out at British Airways PLC workers Tuesday as the carrier began last-ditch legal action to avert a Christmas cabin-crew strike that threatens to ruin holiday plans for about a million travelers.

Faced with the possibility that the bulk of its planes will remain grounded at the busiest time of the year, the loss-making airline applied to the High Court for an injunction to prevent the planned 12-day walkout that is due to start Dec. 22.

An emergency hearing was scheduled for Wednesday but that still left passengers in limbo, contemplating soaring prices for alternative flights -- or train journeys -- to enjoy Christmas and New Year celebrations at the end of what for many has been a tough year.

Most of their ire was reserved for the cabin crews, who are taking the action to protest large-scale job cuts and pay freezes by the airline, which in turn argues the changes are necessary to ride out its dire financial situation.

"In this present climate and the way BA is going, I think the staff are looking at things the wrong way," said Edinburgh technician Alan Little, 53, who is due to fly from London's Heathrow Airport on Dec. 27 to visit his sister in Kuwait.

"I think, at the moment, there are people running round like headless chickens," Little added, as he considered his options.

Rival travel companies were quick to jump into the fray. Virgin Atlantic, which has been strongly critical of BA's proposed revenue-sharing deal with American Airlines, said it will employ larger aircraft on key routes out of London, including to New York, Washington and Delhi, over the planned strike period.

Domestic airline BMI ran newspaper advertisements with the tagline "BA is grounded but you needn't be," while Virgin Trains said it was looking at running extra services on the popular London to Glasgow route.

But many alternatives were proving too expensive for travelers who are still feeling the effects of Britain's worst economic downturn since World War II.

London accountant Mandeep Baura, 29, who is booked to fly from Heathrow to Vancouver, Canada, on Christmas Day for a vacation with his wife, said he has spent the past day searching for flights "but that's pretty much not an option."

"We're looking at prices of more than 2,000 pounds ($3,250)," Baura said. "That's quite a premium."

The likely revenue gift to its competitors couldn't come at a worse time for BA, which has been one of the airlines worst hit by the global recession because of its heavy running costs and reliance on increasingly unpopular premium fares.

Already expected to post record losses this year, analysts estimate that the airline will lose up to 30 million pounds ($49 million) a day if the strike goes ahead during a time when it normally operates 650 flights and carries 90,000 passengers daily.

In the longer run, travel agents warned that the strike could leave a permanent "ABBA effect" -- Anyone But BA.

"This is a double disaster for BA," said Bob Atkinson of travelsupermarket.com. "Its customers are now going to be significantly affected and the airline, the U.K.'s largest carrier, will take a financial hit from the action."

With that in mind, the airline said it was seeking to stop the planned walkout on the grounds that the Unite union ballot of some 13,000 members contained "irregularities," including votes from people no longer employed by the airline.

The carrier said that was a "clear breach" of trade union and labor laws, rendering the strike vote invalid. Unite announced Monday that cabin crew members had voted nine to one in favor of the strike in a ballot with 80 percent turnout.

"We are absolutely determined to do whatever we can to protect our customers from this appalling, unjustified decision from Unite," BA Chief Executive Willie Walsh said. "We do not want to see a million Christmases ruined."

BA has also been attempting to rework its flight schedules for the strike period, should it go ahead, and has offered affected customers the chance to rebook flights for a later date.

The airline said it had sent three letters to Unite since last Friday highlighting the alleged irregularities in the ballot and had given the union a Tuesday afternoon deadline to call off the action, but had received no reply.

Walsh said BA remained open to resuming talks with the union at any point, but Unite spokesman Derek Simpson said the airline had declined its offer to suspend any industrial action if BA agreed to suspend its own imposition of new conditions on cabin crews.

"Willie Walsh turned this offer down flat," Simpson said. "Confrontation, not negotiation, is his approach, even though an industrial dispute will cost the company vastly more money than his projected savings from attacking cabin crew conditions."

Cabin crews agreed last month to fly with reduced staffing after failing to win a court injunction banning the changes, which the union alleges are in breach of contract, until a High Court decision on the dispute is due on Feb. 1.

"Christmas travel on British Airways is being held hostage by a macho management which prefers imposition and confrontation, or even litigation, to negotiation," said Simpson.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #212
Halawala
Fairouzy

Likes (Received): 265

British Airways should change its name to Bull-shit Airways! They strike every year, leave millions of travellers tired and sick-- and when DURING THE PEAK SEASON.

That is why I stopped using them years ago! I fly with Qatar only!
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #213
killerk

Likes (Received): 1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halawala View Post
British Airways should change its name to Bull-shit Airways! They strike every year, leave millions of travellers tired and sick-- and when DURING THE PEAK SEASON.

I thought you flew Emirates!!
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #214
simcard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halawala View Post

very well said, i know someone who is worried sick about flying with BA and trying to change tickets to another airline is very expensive, infact looks like canceling the trip is a best option
simcard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 02:22 AM   #215
KiwiGuy
¡VIVA EL GORDO!

Likes (Received): 1667

Good new for those budget airlines like Ryanair, easyJet etc. They will reap the benefits of lost customers from British Airways.
Good Christmas present for them I would expect.
KiwiGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 03:24 AM   #216
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

BA cabin crew voting to strike should be ashamed of themselves!

Just today FlyGlobespan went out of business with the loss of 900 jobs, I'm sure the 900 staff who are now without a job, just one week before christmas would happily take the contract BA are offering its Heathrow based crews.

FlyGlobespan crew must be disgusted at the BA crew who are going on strike, and rightly so.

BA cabin crew need to wise up. What has happened to there counterparts at Globespan today could easily be them.

Old December 17th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #217
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Perhaps the BA folks think of themselves as 'too big to fail' and hence can be a bit more demanding. They probably would not expect what happened to the Swiss could repeat itself across the Channel.

Old December 17th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #218
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Perhaps the BA folks think of themselves as 'too big to fail' and hence can be a bit more demanding. They probably would not expect what happened to the Swiss could repeat itself across the Channel.
I suspect that is the attitude of BA cabin crew but like you say, someone should remind them of Sabena and Swiss Air.

Old December 17th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #219
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Wonder if Ryanair would buy up BA and suddenly a low-cost long-haul carrier emerges! Sure beats trying to fight through aer Lingus!

Old December 17th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #220
funkydory
OneWorld

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
BA should just fire the complete crew and get a new one from India.
News headline...? "British Airways trolley-dolly strikes for bigger Christmas lolly and pisses on customers' travel holly-holiday"

Don't let people take away your history. or they will take away your future.

(C)Funkydory

Cinema, theatre and transport memories. The world over.

Last edited by funkydory; December 17th, 2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Grammar correction
funkydory no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
european airlines, oneworld, spain, united kingdom