daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 17th, 2009, 06:02 PM   #221
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18166

BA wins injunction to stop cabin crew strike

LONDON, Dec 17 (Reuters) - British Airways won a court order to stop a 12-day strike planned by cabin crew over Christmas on Thursday.

A judge at London's High Court upheld the airline's complaint that voting irregularities made the ballot invalid.

Lawyers for the British carrier argued in court that ballot papers were sent to staff who had left the company or were in the process of leaving and should not have been balloted, breaching industrial relations law.

BA cabin crew voted on Monday to walk out from Dec. 22, escalating a dispute over job losses and changes to working practices.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #222
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
BA wins injunction to stop cabin crew strike

LONDON, Dec 17 (Reuters) - British Airways won a court order to stop a 12-day strike planned by cabin crew over Christmas on Thursday.

A judge at London's High Court upheld the airline's complaint that voting irregularities made the ballot invalid.

Lawyers for the British carrier argued in court that ballot papers were sent to staff who had left the company or were in the process of leaving and should not have been balloted, breaching industrial relations law.

BA cabin crew voted on Monday to walk out from Dec. 22, escalating a dispute over job losses and changes to working practices.
Excellent news and the kick up the arse the cabin crew needed. Well done to the count for coming to the decision. Common sense prevails!

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 10:12 AM   #223
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Hmmm ... now it's the baggage handlers' turn!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old February 5th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #224
Go Ahead Eagles

Likes (Received): 1172

British Airways Posts Surprise Quarterly Profit

By NICOLA CLARK
Published: February 5, 2010
A massive cost-cutting campaign at British Airways helped to lift the struggling carrier to its first quarterly operating profit in more than a year. But the airline said Friday that it still expected to record an annual loss amid a broad industry slump.

The British flag carrier said it had eked out an operating profit of £25 million, or $39 million, in the three months to Dec. 31, despite a 12.9 percent drop in revenue. But that was not enough to overcome what has been a disastrous year for the airline, which is struggling to adjust to massive declines in revenue from its first- and business-class service — the mainstay of British Airways’ business.

For the first nine months of the financial year, the airline reported a net loss of £245 million — almost double its £127 million loss from a year earlier — on revenue of £6.14 billion.

“These results highlight the impact of permanent changes across the company on our costs,” Willie Walsh, the British Airways chief executive, said in a statement. The airline had slashed operating expenses by 10.5 percent over the past nine months, Mr. Walsh said, adding that those cuts, combined with sharp reductions in flights being flown, showed “that we’ve adapted quickly to the new business realities created by the global recession.”

Analysts said they had not expected to see such an improved performance in the latest quarter, given the industry’s troubles. Most had expected an operating loss on the order of around £100 million, compared to a profit of £89 million a year earlier.

“I’m very pleasantly surprised,” said Howard Wheeldon, senior strategist at BGC Partners in London. “But just because we’ve reached base camp doesn’t mean that we have started to climb back up the mountain yet.”

Mr. Walsh’s belt-tightening campaign has come at a significant cost to relations with the airline’s unions, however, some of which are threatening to strike over changes to employees’ contracts and a proposed two-year pay freeze.

The airline recently began training employee volunteers, including engineers and pilots, how to serve meals, conduct safety demonstrations and sell duty-free goods on a flight if its flight attendants follow through with a threat to walk off the job later this month. Unite, Britain’s biggest labor union, last week asked the 12,000 British Airways cabin crew members it represents for a strike vote. Balloting is expected to continue until Feb. 22.

The Unite union called the new vote after the airline won a court order in December blocking a planned walkout over the Christmas and New Year travel period.

Mr. Wheeldon said repairing the fractious relations between the airline’s management and its staff had become of “crucial” strategic importance. “They need to bring their employee base to a point where they’ll support the company again,” he said.

Mr. Wheeldon said that the threat of costly job action was holding up major moves like the planned merger with the Spanish flag carrier, Iberia, which British Airways said it hoped to wrap up by the end of the year. That deal is contingent upon finding a way to fund a £3.7 billion deficit in its employee pension plan.

A completion of the Iberia merger was “possible” this year, Mr. Wheeldon predicted, “provided they can address all of the industrial relations and pension problems.”

The airline said that it expected its underlying business performance to continue to improve over the current quarter as the global economy picks up, though it acknowledged that those gains could be reduced by a possible strike.

British Airways said the tenuousness of the economic recovery would require continued austerity. “Our focus on permanent cost reduction must continue if we are to return the business to profitability in the short term,” the airline said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/06/bu...obal/06ba.html
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #225
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

I really hate the title of this thread. British Airways are not the national flag carrier of the United Kingdom!

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
Old February 5th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #226
Go Ahead Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowMan View Post
I really hate the title of this thread. British Airways are not the national flag carrier of the United Kingdom!
I think everybody knows that BA is the flag carrier of the UK. I don't understand why did you said that it is not.
If i made a mistake with tittle kindly the moderator please revise the title as i don't have acces to do so.
Old February 5th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #227
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7487

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowMan View Post
So what's the flag carrier? EasyJet?
Old February 6th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #228
ddes

Likes (Received): 929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ahead Eagles View Post
I think everybody knows that BA is the flag carrier of the UK. I don't understand why did you said that it is not.
If i made a mistake with tittle kindly the moderator please revise the title as i don't have acces to do so.
If I'm not wrong, Virgin Atlantic is now the official flag carrier of the UK... They were given the deal to fly the govt around the world last year...
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 07:15 AM   #229
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By Star Alliance from HKADB :

Old February 6th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #230
Go Ahead Eagles

Great collections Hkskyline!
Old February 6th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #231
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

I understand the statement of saying that BA is not the british national flag carier, its more or less London's Flag carrier, because outside of Gatwick and Heatrow, BA doesn't fly any other routes in the uk (unless the departure/arrival city is one of the two airports named above)..

So yes, maybe you could see Easyjet as a more british carrier, or even FlyBE, they fly from more places than just London, and in that perspective cover a larger part of the UK!

But in terms of historic and Fleet-size blabla, yes it is indeed the UK's flag carrier, but it does only cover a relatively small part of the UK!
Old February 6th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #232
staid_leming

Likes (Received): 0

technically British Airways is the only Airline to have flown the Queen overseas... so therefore the flag carrier. Although when british airways branded itself 'The Worlds Favorite Airline' and changed its tails to different designs, Virgin changed its Varga Girls flag from the Virgin Red With a V to the Union Jack and added Union jacks to its Winglets... i for one would rather Virgin Carried it...
staid_leming no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #233
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ahead Eagles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
So what's the flag carrier? EasyJet?
I would personally say Virgin Atlantic is now the flag carrier of the United Kingdom. Not only do they serve three UK cities, unlike BA who only fly to/from London but Virgin Atlantic now have the contract to fly the UK Prime minister and the Royal Family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
If I'm not wrong, Virgin Atlantic is now the official flag carrier of the UK... They were given the deal to fly the govt around the world last year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
I understand the statement of saying that BA is not the british national flag carier, its more or less London's Flag carrier, because outside of Gatwick and Heatrow, BA doesn't fly any other routes in the uk (unless the departure/arrival city is one of the two airports named above)..

So yes, maybe you could see Easyjet as a more british carrier, or even FlyBE, they fly from more places than just London, and in that perspective cover a larger part of the UK!

But in terms of historic and Fleet-size blabla, yes it is indeed the UK's flag carrier, but it does only cover a relatively small part of the UK!
Yeah easyJet and FlyBe do serve the whole of the United Kingdom allot better than British Airways, but like you say, other things considered, I dont think you can call them a flag carrier. However, taking everything into account, I think Virgin Atlantic are the flag carrier of the United Kingdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staid_leming View Post
technically British Airways is the only Airline to have flown the Queen overseas... so therefore the flag carrier. Although when british airways branded itself 'The Worlds Favorite Airline' and changed its tails to different designs, Virgin changed its Varga Girls flag from the Virgin Red With a V to the Union Jack and added Union jacks to its Winglets... i for one would rather Virgin Carried it...
The Queen has flown with many different airlines. I think when she flies to a Commonwealth Country, she flies with the national carrier of that country.

Although like someone else already pointed out, Virgin Atlantic now have the contract for UK state personnel flying from the UK.

Old February 6th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #234
PortoNuts

Don't worry, BA is not the only national carrier to fly from just the major hubs. I can think of a handful of European airlines who do the same or that serve other cities very poorly.
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #235
da_scotty

I can't think of any Honestly..

Air France - No, have a great domestic network, and some International routes from non-hub airports as well, either directly trough AF itself or by AF-Regional

Lufthansa- Absolute Best, trough all its subsidaires overs an amazing cover, and for intercontinental flights you can easily fly from 3 hubs spread out in Germany!

Iberia- I believe that Nostrum offers some good domestic and international services but not in as good as the two above.

Alitalia- Great Domestic service together with Air One (okay Alitalia=Air One but still) But a somewhat lacking of International services Outside Rome and Milan, this on the other hand is compensated by the huge amount of foreign (charter/holiday) flights!

KLM- In my opinion the Netherlands is way to small for domestic air services, the country is only 200km by 400km roughly, and AMS is in virtualy a 2.5 hour drive from anywhere in the country, and with direct trainlinks with half of the country, there is no need for a domestic service.

- I btw consider this europes main carriers!
Old February 7th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #236
PortoNuts

What I'm saying is that in the end, the majority of international flights are operated from the main hubs. For Lufthansa the big part of them are operated from Frankfurt and people in Barcelona hate Iberia. Air Nostrum operates flights from El Prat to secondary cities across Europe. Iberia itself only flies to Madrid, where all the flights to outside Europe are operated from.

I'm speaking about non-European flights, in most of European airlines you have to go to the main hub if you want to go to New York, Tokyo, etc. Besides that, Britain has a whole range of other airlines that many countries don't have: Virgin Atlantic, EasyJet, Thomas Cook, BMI.
Old February 7th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #237
da_scotty

Ofcourse, its logical that you only fly intercontinental flights from you're hubs, how else would you afford it, and Lufthansa has Muchen and Dusseldorf as well, offering quiet a selection of destinations..

But I think every larger european country has multiple airlines in the same range as the ones you name above:

Germany: Air berlin. condor. Tuifly. Thomas cook. LTU
Air france: Corsairfly, XL airways, CCM
Netherlands: Transavia. ArkeFly. Martinair

(although you cant call the netherlands big :-p
Old February 7th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #238
PortoNuts

I think it's a standard procedure of national carriers, to concentrate as much as possible in one place, for saving. Otherwise, with the recent crisis, most of them would have been bankrupted.
Old February 7th, 2010, 10:54 PM   #239
PortoNuts

British Airways cost-cutting bears fruit with a rare £25m profit

Willie Walsh's remorseless war on costs at British Airways has started to come good with the airline's first operating profit for more than a year.

Although the airline is still expected to make its biggest loss, the third-quarter figure was much stronger than the City expected.

BA was £25 million in the black in the three months to December, the first surplus since the second quarter of 2008, but made a £50 million loss at the pre-tax level, compared with analysts' forecasts of about £150 million. For the first nine months BA made a £342 million pre-tax loss.

The chief executive, still locked in a bitter dispute with cabin crew over pay and conditions, said: “These results highlight the impact of the permanent changes across the company on our costs…Operating costs are down by 10.5% and show that we've adapted quickly to the new business realities created by the global recession.”

Finance director Keith Williams said the “Terminal Five dividend” had contributed between £40 million and £50 million to annual cost reductions while the fuel bill is down by almost a fifth. The pay bill was down 10% to £492 million in the quarter following waves of redundancies, Costs for the financial year are likely to be about £700 million lower, although this will be outweighed by the estimated £1 billion annual loss of revenue.

In the third-quarter revenues were around £250 million down, about £30 million better than forecast. Williams said the airline was starting to see the first signs of an improvement in passenger yields, particularly in long-haul premium traffic.

Gert Zonneveld, transport analyst at brokers Panmure Gordon, said: “The cost reductions seem to be kicking in quite well. It's a good performance but there is still a long way to go.”

Ken McCluskey, assistant general secretary of Unite, the cabin crew union, said the better financial results could make it easier to get a deal and avoid industrial action.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...y-forecasts.do
Old February 8th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #240
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Don't worry, BA is not the only national carrier to fly from just the major hubs. I can think of a handful of European airlines who do the same or that serve other cities very poorly.
British Airways dont even have hub(s) they have one hub - London. That's it!

Air France, while hubbing in Paris, still have international flights from Lyon and other French cities.

Alitalia, while hubbing in Rome, still have international flights from Milan and other Italian cities.

British Airways, while hubbing in London, do not have any flights from any other UK airports.

Tags
european airlines, oneworld, spain, united kingdom