daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2006, 09:52 PM   #61
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Yes. That's why the world's largest independent airport passenger survey (Skytrax) voted them number one. They have always innovated new trends and their long-haul business class is probably the best in the world. Their business class is ranked top or near top every year in almost every survey.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2006, 04:09 AM   #62
Luka

Likes (Received): 2830

British is a good airline and deserves the award but their economy class is terrible. You end up with you kneed in your mouth because the seats in economy are cramped. I flew with them in May from Belgrade for the weekend. The price was really low and the service was good. Its just the seats in economy. I never got to experience their business class seats but I’m sure they are top class
Luka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #63
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18168

BA probe could lead to fine, transatlantic shakeup

LONDON, June 23 (Reuters) - British Airways faces fines of up to 300 million pounds ($549 million) if found guilty of price-fixing in an investigation launched by competition regulators in the UK and United States, analysts said on Friday.

UK and U.S. authorities said on Thursday they had launched a civil and criminal probe into an alleged cartel over air fares and fuel surcharges after raiding BA's offices. BA put two senior executives on leave.

Virgin Atlantic was also involved in the probe but would not say whether it was a target or not. American Airlines and United Airlines were also cooperating but said they were not direct targets.

Analysts said on Friday BA faced a maximum fine of 10 percent of its annual transatlantic turnover, or about 315 million pounds. If the probe involved the airline's total operations that could increase to 900 million pounds.

But that could be the least of its problems if fallout from the probe leads to a dismantling of current arrangements on routes between London's Heathrow airport and the United States.

BA, Virgin, American Airlines and United are the only four airlines allowed to fly direct between Heathrow Airport and the United States.

"It is inevitable. The U.S. and UK governments effectively set up a cartel when they only allowed four airlines into Heathrow," Exane BNP Paribas analyst Nick van den Brul said.

Some analysts said the investigation could be the catalyst which forces BA to open up Heathrow to additional transatlantic carriers, an issue rival airlines have been pushing for some time.

BA shares were trading 0.2 percent weaker at 345-1/2 pence at 1106 GMT. The stock fell about 6 percent on Thursday.

"Buckle up. We may be about to hit a patch of turbulence," Simon Ballard, head of research at bond broker Arc Securities, wrote in a note Friday.

BA, Virgin and the UK's Office of Fair Trading declined to comment on two UK newspaper reports the investigation was focusing on telephone conversations between a British Airways executive and the Virgin Atlantic public relations staff.

Analysts said a lack of information and BA's decision to suspend its Commercial Director Martin George and Head of Communications Iain Burns during the investigation was concerning.

"This is unusual, and thus somewhat concerning. Rightly or wrongly, this gives the impression that there may be some substance to the allegations," Oriel Securities analyst Gerald Khoo said in a note to clients.

The investigation follows a price-fixing probe involving airlines' cargo charges announced in February which spread to carriers in the United States, Europe and Asia. That investigation is still proceeding.

A European Commission spokesman said the cargo investigation was ongoing. (Additional reporting by Jeff Mason in Brussels and Richard Barley in London)

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #64
Monkey
BANNED

^ BA's economy class is definitely NOT terrible. If it was they would never have won the Skytrax best airline 2006 award. It is weakest on a few thin European routes that use their oldest planes (eg Belgrade) but BA's long-haul economy class is one of the best in the world. I'm a good position to judge as I travel long-haul from London frequently and I have used dozens of different airlines over the years.
Old June 24th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #65
Luka

Likes (Received): 2830

Then I correct myself their short haul seats are not that good (I’m pretty tall so that is factor as well). But the service is very nice and the catering was great
Old June 24th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #66
SLAA

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka
Then I correct myself their short haul seats are not that good (I’m pretty tall so that is factor as well). But the service is very nice and the catering was great
Actually, tall people should be considered when airlines create their seats. Its just unfair sometimes, when all the midgets get all the comfort...Wait but how tall are u?
SLAA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #67
london-b
βAŇŇĘĐ

Likes (Received): 1345

True, I'm 6" 2' and am always cramped, god I hope I stop growing (I'm 16 by the way)
london-b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 03:01 AM   #68
Maltaboy
BANNED

I love BA and have had some memorable flying experiences with them.
I am very happy they have won this award, but to be honest I feel their inflight service in the past few years is not quite what it used to be, and they have had to cut a lot of corners in this regard.
Maltaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:38 PM   #69
Monkey
BANNED

BA to buy 34 new longhaul aircraft - invites Boeing / Airbus competition

BA to buy new long-haul aircraft
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6058064.stm

BA has 284 planes in its fleet

British Airways (BA) intends to buy a new fleet of long-distance aircraft, and has invited both Airbus and Boeing to bid for contracts.

The UK airline said it was initially looking to buy 34 planes, with analysts estimating the airline would ultimately spend at least $7bn (Ł3.7bn).

BA, which said it planned to place the orders next year, said it was considering Airbus' troubled A380.

The A380 superjumbo is running two years late after high-profile problems.

BA said other aircraft it was looking at were Airbus's A330 and A350, and Boeing's 787, 777 and 747-8.

It is also inviting engine-makers such as Rolls-Royce and General Electric to bid.

Pension issue

"For the past four years, we have grown capacity by using our aircraft more efficiently," said BA chief executive Willie Walsh.

"In order to continue to grow our long-haul business we now need additional long-haul aircraft."

BA says it will consider the troubled A380

Mr Walsh added that it was vital for BA to cut its Ł2.1bn pension deficit before it started ordering the new aircraft.

He repeated that he was confident the firm would reach a deal with staff by next month.

BA has 284 planes in its fleet, of which 114 are long-haul planes - some of which are up to 17 years old.

Delays to the Airbus 380 have been caused by wiring problems.

They have led to its chief executive being replaced, and warnings of job cuts at the Franco-German firm.
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #70
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

What are the odds that non off these aircraft will make an appearance the UK’s non-London airports?

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 12:27 AM   #71
Monkey
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowMan View Post
What are the odds that non off these aircraft will make an appearance the UK’s non-London airports?
High. BA is there to make profits and that dictates single hub and spoke operation.
Old October 18th, 2006, 01:00 AM   #72
Lee
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Interesting. They already have "ordered" 777-300ER's, so that seals them. There is talk of A330's, but I doubt it considering their inefficiency when compared w/ the 787. The 787 should easily replace the 767. I think it is too early to replace 777-200ER's. Furthermore, 748's will be ordered for sure.
Lee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:45 AM   #73
Monkey
BANNED

^ The 777s have been reserved rather than ordered. However I suspect the orders will firm up once the pensions dispute has been settled. I think BA will go for 777s and A380s (not 747-8s) and possibly 787s if they want something smaller.
Old October 18th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #74
deej

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
^ The 777s have been reserved rather than ordered. However I suspect the orders will firm up once the pensions dispute has been settled. I think BA will go for 777s and A380s (not 747-8s) and possibly 787s if they want something smaller.
While the A380 makes sense at a hub like LHR where landing slots are at a premium, I'm not so sure BA will go for it unless they can get a great bargain from Airbus. Size-wise, there doesn't seem to be too many routes that can justify the whalejet, especially since BA seems to be focusing more on capacity management and filling up the front of the cabin (where frequency is more important than capacity).

I'd like to see them go for the 747-8. Agree they'll probably go for 777s and maybe 787s as well. Of course, I think Airbus is going to fight VERY hard for this deal given their performance this year...
deej no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #75
Monkey
BANNED

^ The whalejet would be perfect for BA routes such as London-New York given the slot constraints at Heathrow and given that they already have so many daily frequencies.
Old October 18th, 2006, 09:59 PM   #76
Jim Koeleman

BA will go for the 747-8, because they already have a large fleet of 744's and the 748's will have great commonality with the older ones, and because of the capacity.

BA will never order 57 A380's to replace the 744's. They never will. The 748 fits better in there class.

I think they also will go for the 787, because it have better peformance then the A330, and will be suit better in class for BA than the A350.

I also think they will go for the 777, because they allready have them.
Jim Koeleman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:02 AM   #77
Monkey
BANNED

^ Lol you are so sure. You say "never" but BA certainly aren't saying that. They are saying they will look at A380, A350, A330 and B747-8, B777, B787. No decisions have been made yet so don't jump the gun. And remember that almost every airline that has ordered the A380 also has an existing fleet of 747-400s. BA may well decide to aquire expertise with a model at the beginning of its' life (ie the A380) rather than one at the end (747-8). I am fairly confident BA will go with Boeing for the mid and mid-large size (ie B777 and B787) but the competition for the largest planes is wide open.
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:18 AM   #78
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 678

BA is one of Boeings most loyal customers, it just uses the threat of Airbus to beat the price down. I think it will go for some B777's for now and hold off over B747-8 or A380. I'm not sure if BA wants to be the only Airline other than possibly Cathay or JAL to fly B747-8. All three have been linked to the project but no firm commitments have been made. It might go for a few A380's for its biggest routes. The B777 can handle b747 routes that don't have too much traffic. BA is definately a wait and see on the A380, it wants to see how it works out for the other airlines.
Rational Plan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 01:54 AM   #79
Monkey
BANNED

^ Yeah but Willie Walsh had a great relationship with Airbus at Aer Lingus. BA have already ditched Boeing in favour of Airbus for short haul and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they ordered a few A380s along with B777s and B787s here.
Old August 25th, 2007, 04:42 AM   #80
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

British Airways and Korean Air Fined Millions for Fixing Prices

British Airways and Korean Air Fined Millions for Fixing Prices
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: August 24, 2007

WASHINGTON, Aug. 23 (AP) — Two major airlines were fined $300 million each Thursday after admitting that they had conspired to fix prices on international flights and agreeing to help prosecutors investigate other airlines.

The airlines — British Airways, Britain’s largest airline, and Korean Air, South Korea’s national carrier — pleaded guilty to antitrust conspiracy charges. They acknowledged colluding with rivals over cargo rates and fuel surcharges, which had been added to fares in response to rising oil prices. That meant higher costs for international shippers and passengers.

Judge John D. Bates of Federal District Court in Washington said the case “involved considerable commerce and reflected long-term and widespread conduct involving major airlines and players.”

Fines were reduced for both airlines because they had cooperated with Justice Department investigators. Korean Air’s fines could have been twice as high, and British Airways could have faced fines closer to $900 million.

“Any anticompetitive behavior is to be condemned at British Airways or at other companies. It will not be tolerated and we remain vigilant in this respect,” British Airways’ chief executive, Willie Walsh, said in a statement released after the court proceedings.

Korean Air released a statement saying it was “committed to antitrust compliance” and was taking steps to make sure the conduct was never repeated. Neither company addressed the extent of its cooperation or how widespread the practice was in the industry.

This month, authorities in London announced $246 million in fines for British Airways in a parallel trans-Atlantic investigation. Both inquiries continue.

Other companies were not named. Virgin Atlantic has been identified in the London investigation but is not expected to face a fine there because it reported its misconduct to authorities.

From 2004 to 2006, fuel surcharges rose from about $10 to about $120 a ticket for a round-trip, long-haul flight on B.A. or Virgin.

Judge Bates said that both British Airways and Korean Air had turned over hundreds of thousands of documents, some of which needed to be translated, and had made executives available for interviews with investigators. As foreign companies, they could have challenged the investigation and refused to cooperate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/24/bu...rssnyt&emc=rss
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
european airlines, oneworld, spain, united kingdom