daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 6th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #141
ashton
is back in the Maldives

Likes (Received): 205

My friend told me that BA is flying to Male in the Maldives soon! Yippey!

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #142
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7493

Yep they will. Flights to Malé will start on 25 October. The route will be operated by Boeing 777-200ER.
Old June 7th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #143
amirtaheri

Likes (Received): 1

Is there any word on whether BA are going to be updating their cabins? If I remember correctly, I heard there may be a new First Class product, but does anybody know of this being a measure that will update all classes?
amirtaheri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #144
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

l really like the EuroTraveller Service of BA, and their Intercontinental service
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #145
juzzy

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirtaheri View Post
Is there any word on whether BA are going to be updating their cabins? If I remember correctly, I heard there may be a new First Class product, but does anybody know of this being a measure that will update all classes?
they are actually removing first class on quite a few flights... i did read something about new cabins, but i think they are going t hold back on that due to the recession
Old June 8th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #146
Go Ahead Eagles

Likes (Received): 1172

British Airways says no change in plane orders

KUALA LUMPUR, June 8 (Reuters) - British Airways will not change its current orders for new planes despite the difficult operating environment, chief executive Willie Walsh said on Monday.

"It's a very difficult operating environment, the most difficult we have ever seen," he told reporters on the sidelines of the International Air Transport Association annual meeting in Kuala Lumpur.

But British Airways did not plan any alteration in its plane orders, Walsh said. (Reporting by Sara Webb and Neil Chatterjee; Editing by Raju Gopalakrishnan)
Old June 8th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #147
Go Ahead Eagles

BA ad in 2007. (Sydney)

Old June 8th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #148
jayOOfoshO

Likes (Received): 115

I thought Virgin Atlantic had become the national carrier of the UK!!!
jayOOfoshO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #149
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 236

It is.

Where is the Virgin Atlantic thread?

BA is OK, but Virgin Atlantic is so much better.
Old June 8th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #150
jayOOfoshO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel City Suburb View Post
It is.

Where is the Virgin Atlantic thread?

BA is OK, but Virgin Atlantic is so much better.
Agreed. We need a Virgin Atlantic thread.

And we all need to fly Virgin more often!
Old June 9th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #151
MelbourneCity

Likes (Received): 25

I've flown BA a handful of times.
'94 Melbourne to Bangkok
'08 London Heathrow to Vienna (A319)
'08 Vienna to Heathrow (A321)
'08 Heathrow to Hong Kong

Enjoyed the experience each time, especially the Vienna flights as they were not full.

I don't understand the rational behind all international flights departing Heathrow or Gatwick. Surely there is demand for flight ex Manchester, Glasgow and Edinburgh!!!

Melburnian in Sydney via Bendigo
MelbourneCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 04:31 AM   #152
jayOOfoshO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneCity View Post
I've flown BA a handful of times.
'94 Melbourne to Bangkok
'08 London Heathrow to Vienna (A319)
'08 Vienna to Heathrow (A321)
'08 Heathrow to Hong Kong

Enjoyed the experience each time, especially the Vienna flights as they were not full.

I don't understand the rational behind all international flights departing Heathrow or Gatwick. Surely there is demand for flight ex Manchester, Glasgow and Edinburgh!!!
It's called hub&spoke... it's an industrial strategy... aimed at reducing mainly variable costs... practically by placing all airplanes and routes in one central airport and having passengers that need to go from A to B stop at this central airport (called hub generally).
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #153
MelbourneCity

Likes (Received): 25

Yes, I know that, and obviously there have been advantages to it. But there are also disadvantages - it has allowed airlines such as Virgin Atlantic to move in to markets which runs the risk of damaging BA's interest.

Eg, in my local daily newspaper today is an ad for Emirates, "Fly direct to 6 UK destinations" - London Heathrow, Gatwick, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow & Newcastle. I realise, Emirates hub in Dubai, so passengers on the Dubai - UK flights will come from a variety of other destinations.
No doubt, many US carriers fly into Manchester etc. BA should at least have some northern England presence for international services.
I suppose though, in a relatively small country such as the UK, a central hub is not all bad.

Melburnian in Sydney via Bendigo
MelbourneCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #154
Go Ahead Eagles

Passengers should pay global carbon tax, says British Airways chief

Airline passengers should pay a global tax on carbon and accept an increase in the cost of flying for the sake of the environment, the chief executive of British Airways has told The Times.

The airline is the first in the world to propose that all airline passengers should pay an additional sum which would be likely to rise steadily over time.

BA is proposing that the tax should raise at least $5 billion (£3 billion) a year to be used to combat tropical deforestation and help developing companies to adapt to climate change.

The airline has joined forces with Virgin Atlantic, Air France, Cathay Pacific and Qatar Airways to call for aviation emissions to be included in a global deal on climate change due to be agreed at the United Nations conference in Copenhagen in December.

They are proposing that the conference should set an emission reduction target for international flights, which were excluded from the Kyoto climate change agreement.

But Willie Walsh, BA’s chief executive, has gone further than the others by explicitly stating that passengers should expect to pay more for their flights to compensate for their environmental impact.

He said airlines should be forced to buy permits from 2013 to cover their carbon emissions in a global emissions trading scheme.

“It would increase [airline] costs. It has to increase fares. For the industry to play its part the people who benefit from that industry - the passengers - are going to have to pay.

“Airlines can’t escape the responsibility of addressing the impact that aviation has on the environment. We accept that our industry has got to improve.”

Mr Walsh refused to predict how much the carbon tax would be for each ticket, though it would vary according to the length of the flight and the efficiency of the aircraft. He said that the cost per passenger - and the overall sum raised by the global tax - would depend on the cost of carbon emissions permits on the global market.

“It could be four or five times the $5 billion if the price of carbon goes up. The critical thing is to cap overall carbon dioxide and then provide financial incentives to industries that have other fuel sources and technologies to reduce their CO2 output.”

BA is effectively proposing that airlines should offset their emissions by helping pay for investment in low-carbon technology in other industries which would find it easier to use alternatives to fossil fuels. Airlines would buy unused permits from these industries.

BA supports the European emissions trading scheme, which is due to include all flights landing or taking off from EU airports from 2012.

But Mr Walsh said that the EU scheme did not go far enough and would disadvantage EU airlines.

“We need a global deal for aviation, rather than a patchwork of regional initiatives - to avoid creating perverse incentives for CO2 increases in some parts of the world and to maintain a level competitive playing-field.”

BA is proposing that global aviation emissions should be limited to their 2005 level and then reduced over time.

The International Air Transport Association, which represents 230 airlines, 93 per cent of the global industry, is proposing a much weaker target. It wants aviation emissions to be allowed to continue growing until 2020.

Peter Lockley, head of transport at conservation group WWF, said: “We are pleased that BA is taking a lead on this issue. We may not agree on all the details of how to design an emissions trading scheme but it’s a welcome political signal.

“We encourage Willie Walsh to redouble his efforts to persuade his US counterparts to join his initiative.”

No US airline has yet joined the BA-led group.

The total number of air passengers worldwide will more than double to six billion by 2026, up from 2.5billion in 2007, according to report published yesterday by the consultancy Oxford Economics.
Old June 13th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #155
Go Ahead Eagles

British Airways Warns Govt Of 2,000 Cabin Crew Redundancies

LONDON (Dow Jones)--British Airways PLC (BAY.LN) has warned the Department for Business Enterprise & Regulatory Reform that there is a potential for 2,000 redundancies among its cabin crew.

A spokeswoman for British Airways said Tuesday the airline had informed the U.K. government department of potential redundancies last week, but that the number could be less, depending on how many of the 14,000 cabin crew take up options offered.

Those options include unpaid leave, as well as temporary and permanent part-time working.

British Airways is attempting to permanently restructure working practices, including eliminating restrictive practices, improve productivity and reduce its cost base.

The airline has already cut 2,500 jobs since last summer. It now employs about 40,000 people.
Old June 16th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #156
Alvar Lavague
European citizen

Likes (Received): 124

The Wall Street Journal :
Quote:
British Airways Urges Staff to Work Without Pay

By JONATHAN BUCK

LONDON -- British Airways PLC is urging staff to work periods unpaid as it increases its efforts to conserve cash.

The U.K. flag carrier is offering staff one-week blocks of unpaid leave or unpaid work, with salary deductions spread over three months to six months where possible, it said in the latest edition of its in-house newsletter.

The company, which last month reported a £375 million ($611.9 million) net loss for the fiscal year ended March 31, is expanding a plan that already offers employees unpaid leave or the chance to work part-time. It said more than 1,000 workers already have taken advantage of that plan, which was announced last month.

Chief Executive Willie Walsh is quoted as saying: "I am looking for every single part of the company to take part in some way in this cash-effective way of helping the company's survival plan. It really counts."

Mr. Walsh and Chief Financial Officer Keith Williams previously had announced that they would work for no pay during July. Mr. Walsh currently earns £735,000 a year, while Mr. Williams earns £440,000 a year, according to BA's annual report.

Unions were unimpressed with the plan.

"Willie Walsh can afford to work a month for free," a Unite spokesman said. "Our members can't." Unite represents thousands of cabin crew, baggage handlers and maintenance workers among BA's workforce of 40,000.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1245...googlenews_wsj
Old June 17th, 2009, 03:07 AM   #157
dschill

Likes (Received): 0

hmm this makes me want to ride in a plane sometime in my life..
dschill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:20 AM   #158
Shezan
BANNED

I hope for better times of BA..
Old June 19th, 2009, 05:19 AM   #159
Shezan
BANNED

find the Cyprus one

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...91466&nseq=103
Old June 19th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #160
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneCity View Post
Yes, I know that, and obviously there have been advantages to it. But there are also disadvantages - it has allowed airlines such as Virgin Atlantic to move in to markets which runs the risk of damaging BA's interest.

Eg, in my local daily newspaper today is an ad for Emirates, "Fly direct to 6 UK destinations" - London Heathrow, Gatwick, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow & Newcastle. I realise, Emirates hub in Dubai, so passengers on the Dubai - UK flights will come from a variety of other destinations.
No doubt, many US carriers fly into Manchester etc. BA should at least have some northern England presence for international services.
I suppose though, in a relatively small country such as the UK, a central hub is not all bad.
You are right. There are reasons BA are a loss making airline, one of the reasons is BA's lack of flights from major UK cities outside London. Mainly Glasgow, Manchester and Birmingham.

Go back 10 years, from Glasgow International you could fly with BA direct to countless European destinations as well as New York, Washington, Toronto and Boston. Now all BA offer is London Heathrow, London Gatwick and London City. All the routes BA neglected at Glasgow have been picked up by other airline, profitably. I suspect its the same at Manchester and Birmingham.

There is not a single route on the BA route network that does not involve a London Airport!! Other national carriers can operate with hubs and do international flights from other cities. Just look at AA, CO, AF and many others. They don't just concentrate everything on one city.

Its BA's loss, hence why they are a loss making airline.

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
european airlines, oneworld, spain, united kingdom