SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Spyglass Implossion and Rooftop Spindles

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  FloridaFuture 
#1 ·
I've been pointing out to friends for months now that the two blue spindles atop the Spyglass should be purchased by the city of Clearwater and used as public art, or placed atop some new development.

I live in downtown Clearwater. There was a bit of hooplah a couple of weeks ago about a Sorcerer's Gate sculpture installed on the redeveloped Cleveland Street. Times Article. Fortunately, that sculpture and the others installed will be replaced after one year.

I'd love to see the Spyglass spindles land in their place. These are attractive structures that hold a lot of Clearwater history.

Unfortunately, this photo from tbo shows the spindles still sitting atop one of the buildings on the Spyglass property.

See less See more
#3 ·
You should mention this to your city commissioner and mayor. Its a good idea and the developer of the site may donate them. It would be roughly the same cost to move these and fix them to a site as it would to commission new public art, and these have history.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.