daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Countdown to 2020

Countdown to 2020 new projects, proposals, under-construction updates and news of developments & construction projects.

Old January 22nd, 2006, 11:52 AM   #81
Gismo

Likes (Received): 0

hi im new in this forum, can somone explain me what is the vision for 2020¿
Gismo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 23rd, 2006, 07:21 PM   #82
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Likes (Received): 2

Dear Gismo, this is where you can read more about Malaysia's Vision 2020.

http://www.pmo.gov.my/website/webdb....256E84003129CA

- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 07:25 PM   #83
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

And here too.

http://unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups...npan003222.pdf

- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.
Old January 25th, 2006, 01:20 PM   #84
Gismo

Thank's
Gismo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #85
sugizm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazrey
M'sia First Islamic Nation To Attain Developed Country Status - PM
September 10, 2005 19:44 PM
looking at the article i see the business oppurtunities our government trying to create, it will improve country's reputation and become the leader among islamic countries, improve the competition of business deals between westerners so and so on.

it should't, in my opinion, trying to motivate people by using religion as a comparison. the malaysia boleh spirit should lie on the basic mentality of our people, and we set our goal to be one of the top in the world without race and religious issues.

but still, in the political point of view, i guess it has its reasons to start motivating and pumping confidence to our people.
Old February 10th, 2006, 04:47 PM   #86
themaster

100% agree
themaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #87
Skyprince
Asian boi

Ok..Ok guys.. in order to become `developed` we have to reach $20 000 right ? Now take a calculator and do some maths. Now our per-capita income is $ 11,000. With the current unstable situation and rising oil prices and high inflation let`s assume that our annual growth up to 2020 will be 5.5%. So now 11 000 X (1.055)^14 years = $23 277. Then MINUS the annual projected population growth of 2.2%.

23 277 X (0.978)^14

Then the figure will become $17 048. That is far below the 20 000 target !!

Unless a miracle happens in the future...

So to those Menteri-menteris and their peers who are viewing my post please take note !! I don`t know if they only show commitment to develop but don not make any calculations.
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #88
travellator
klite

Likes (Received): 33

there is more criteria on how one is considered 'developed' and $20000 is way down the list. Some Countries with =>$20000 - Brunei, UAE, Qatar, Equatorial Guinea, Cyprus, Malta, Bahrain. some 'developed' countries with < $20000 - Russia, Argentina, Hungary, Poland, Malaysia.
travellator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #89
bola

some countries in the middle east got per capita income more than $20,000
but their country is still not developed poor
maybe oil is the solution???oO

damn man by 2020 i'd already be 29 crap....
maybe if malaysia do soemthing like dig for more oil or theres a world war
the 2020 will be complete?
bola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #90
Skyprince
Asian boi

Quote:
some countries in the middle east got per capita income more than $20,000
but their country is still not developed poor
maybe oil is the solution???oO
Which country do you mean ???

UAE is very developed instead. Constructions are everywhere and life expectancy is 78, higher than United States !!

Oman is also a developed country, with zero poverty. No beggars on the streets, and Muscat is a very very modern city.

Qatar, Bahrain, and Kuwait are the same. Their cities are quite clean and developed. They have strong tourism industry.

Don`t trust any Western media reports about the Middle East. You have to go and see by urself.
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #91
travellator
klite

correct point, so there is no one criteria that defines a 'developed' country, is UAE as developed or more than the US because it has massive constructions, a higher life expectancy & no beggars. It is better to define developed not only from an economic criteria but by social & human aspects. Obviously the richer the country the easier it is to achieve these criteria but the test is the ability to sustain development as it is continues to evolve as we and our values evolve
Old July 28th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #92
pedang
One Malaysia

Likes (Received): 6

how about technology n heavy industries(automotif, electronic.. etc..)
Old July 28th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #93
in10cities
Bridge Over The Liffey

Hmm,, I thought Vision 2020 'developed nation' status will be formulated and measured using our own yardstick/mould? This point taken, how will this 'status' be recognised by other countries?

This euphoria of 'countdown to developed state/nation' had been adopted by many of states; Malacca, Selangor to name a few... ;I doubt its achievable in such a few years time from now- I believe its purely political than anything else. If to measure Selangor as a developed state by simply comparing it to Kelantan... I think its a simplistic approach.

It is a very ambitious feat indeed to put a timeframe to achieve this coveted status. I think even existing developed nation themselves did not put a timeframe on to achieve it. I think even countries like UK or France took hundred of years to be where they are now...but look at Singapore now; she is considered 'developed nation' now- less than 40 years.

Anyways; 14 years to go for us & counting...
Old July 28th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #94
alsen
Celebrity Fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedang
how about technology n heavy industries(automotif, electronic.. etc..)
totally agreed with pedang.not only $$,but owning technology is also one of the best way to be considered as a developed country.
alsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #95
travellator
klite

dont forget human rights, social equality, free speech
Old July 28th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #96
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

I second that travellator.
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #97
in10cities
Bridge Over The Liffey

Me too!!! I second it!
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #98
pedang
One Malaysia

Consistent policies help improve Malaysia’s image

By SUSAN TAM

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia’s consistent policies to attract foreign capital will not only see inflow of cash into its market but help improve its image among the international community, said FinanceAsia group chief executive officer Jonathan Hirst.

“I think being consistent in coming up with new measures to attract foreign capital, bank reforms and corporate governance reforms will help,” he said after the FinanceAsia Awards Malaysia’s Best Companies prize presentation ceremony yesterday.

He said poll responses conducted for the awards revealed that although the Malaysian market might not have “risen” as much as others in South-East Asia, it was a steady market.

“Obviously, there is a lot of competition from the emerging markets that might be perceived as better value for investors but I think good companies will always attract investors and Malaysia certainly has good companies,” he added.

He also said Malaysia’s strategic position of being close to India and China would benefit the country’s economy.

Hirst added that based on the responses received, the areas for Malaysian companies to improve would be corporate governance, accountability and transparency.

The awards poll investors, insurance companies, hedge funds and institutional investors on various categories for best-managed companies.

These categories are best-managed company, best investor relations, best corporate governance, best commitment to strong dividends and best chief financial officer (CFO).

British American Tobacco (M) Bhd (BAT) emerged winner for best-managed company, best corporate governance and best commitment to strong dividends.

Tanjong plc took home the best investor relations and its CFO Gerard Nathan won the best CFO award.

BAT corporate, regulatory and legal affairs director Christine Lee Oi Kuan said that last year was challenging for the company but it was able to return high dividend yield to investors and shareholders.

In terms of corporate governance, Gerald said Malaysian companies were on par with the global community. He added that education was important, as the framework for good corporate governance existed already.

Other winners include Maxis Communications Bhd, Malayan Banking Bhd, Public Bank Bhd, Malaysia Airlines System Bhd, AirAsia Bhd, IOI Corp Bhd, Genting Bhd and Tenaga Nasional Bhd.
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #99
pedang
One Malaysia

Population in Klang Valley to remain highest

KUALA LUMPUR: The population growth rate in the Klang Valley will continue to be the highest compared with other regions such as Johor Baru and Penang, Ho Chin Soon Research Sdn Bhd managing director Ho Chin Soon said.

Between 1991 and 2000, the Klang Valley grew at 4.8% per annum, compared with Johor Baru (4.6%) and Penang (1.57%).

“If the growth rate of 4.8% per annum in the Klang Valley is sustained, we will have a population of 8 million in 2016,” he told the seminar.

Ho identified four growth corridors. They are Sungai Buloh/Damansara, Puchong/Seri Kembangan, South Klang and North Klang/North Shah Alam.

“The Sungai Buloh/Damansara and Puchong/Seri Kembangan corridors will be considered built up soon, so new corridors will depend on road and transportation infrastructure projects,” he said.

On deciding where to invest, Ho said it was important to consider the location, timing and branding of the product, adding that confidence in “local knowledge” of a particular area would help in making investment decisions.

The Star assistant supplements editor S.C. Cheah said investment in property should be on a long-term basis and gave examples of popular housing concepts such as landed and low density gated communities, a mix of landed or strata gated community, townships with special precincts, bigger condominiums or apartments and inner city living.

On the types of properties to invest in the Klang Valley, he said: “Shop offices in high-growth areas such as Kota Damansara, Klang, Section 7 Shah Alam, Bandar Puteri Puchong and Cheras. Houses and apartments in old townships with very comprehensive facilities and amenities and excellent highway linkages such as Subang Jaya, USJ, Puchong and Old Klang Road could be considered.”
Old August 12th, 2006, 06:11 AM   #100
nazrey

Likes (Received): 1399

Dr M: Developed status by 2020 depends on external factors
Updated : 12-08-2006
Media : The Star

KUALA LUMPUR: The countryกฏs ability to achieve developed status by the year 2020 will depend largely on external factors, former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said.

He said Malaysia was very dependent on foreign trade compared with countries like Japan or the US.

If the world economy is not doing well, Malaysia will not do well. In the US and Japan, foreign trade as a percentage of the GDP (gross domestic product) is 17% and 20% respectively.

In Malaysia, foreign trade is 200% of GDP, or two times the size of the GDP. We only hope and pray our trading partners are prosperous, hence we have a policy of prosper thy neighbour, he said in a question-and-answer session at the 8th TEC Asia annual meeting yesterday.

TEC is the world's largest chief executive officer membership organisation in the world. One of its aims is to provide continuous learning and development for chief executives, managing directors and business leaders.

Asked why the country had not developed as fast as Singapore despite having more natural resources than the republic, Dr Mahathir said it was important to have quality people.

People say Malaysia has a lot of natural resources but we only have a bit of oil. We produce 650,000 barrels of oil a day compared with Saudi Arabia's 10 million barrels of oil a day. Our tin is exhausted and there is a bit of gold.

Our resources are our people. We are disinclined to violence and confrontation. We live in peace and tolerate each other and this allows our country to develop, he said.
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote